Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: Laura Mercier Mineral Powder vs. Alima
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
pinky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the detailed review, dollbird! I've been very curious about this MMU and how it stacks up for coverage and appearance.

I've tried several loose powders but they provide a more powdery look and less coverage than my current fave Cover Fx pressed MMU, so I'd be interested in knowing how the LM performs.

Looks like I'll be scurrying off to Holt's tomorrow to get me a sample or two!
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
It's not out in Australia yet - which is absolutely typical.

Hopefully it won't be too long as I am looking forward to trying it.
Razz
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:41 am      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
catski wrote:
Really great review, thankyou. Very Happy dollbird - a great pic!

I'm Fairly Light Neutral and like to wear Golden Fair. ( EDM colours)
HATE wearing beige toned make up. I'm dying to get down to SpaceNK and look at this stuff in person - but my children are on school holiday for two weeks!!!!

Do you think there is a LM shade here for me?
It sounds like a must - have mu!

catski, those are the colors I wear as well in EDM, and we figured out I would be real sand in LM. I just ordered it today, and I'll be sure to report back. I am also not a fan of beigy-ness (The EDM fairly light neutral was more my color but I wore golden fair even though it was a touch too light just because it wasn't so dead beige).

Ooh! Waffle! that's great news. I hope it works out well for you - be sure to report back, wont you. We're mmu twins! Very Happy
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:48 am      Reply with quote
Great review...I agree 100%. I have been putting a little LM Silk cream foundatin on my acne scars and under my eyes as a concealer then I apply the powder. I'm still just loving this stuff.
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Olivia wrote:
Great review...I agree 100%. I have been putting a little LM Silk cream foundatin on my acne scars and under my eyes as a concealer then I apply the powder. I'm still just loving this stuff.

Olivia, is LM Silk Cream Foundation part of their MMU line? Also, what blush are you wearing in that Too Faced mascara photo?
Sorry for all the questions? Embarassed

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
Ahh waffle, Smile one can never have too many brushes! Besides, no MMU is good without a good brush. I have the MAC 182 buffer brush, which is pretty high up there in the brush food chain, but even this cannot replicate the buttery soft flawless finish that the Laura Mercier MA gave me with LM's blending brush. After much credit card angst I have put myself on the waiting list for the brush at the LM counter, and eagerly await your review.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Oh, my!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Another $40 to add to the bill Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad .
So, my $42 foundation purchase has suddenly become $120+ LM shopping spree. Shock I better stop reading this thread Rolling Eyes.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
gigiab6
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
I am really tempted by this, I have used some LM stuff, and have had some make-up done by her artists but worry that it isn't light enough. My skin is very fair but not easily matched...oh well this will be a good excuse to go to real life shopping! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
gigiab6 wrote:
I am really tempted by this, I have used some LM stuff, and have had some make-up done by her artists but worry that it isn't light enough. My skin is very fair but not easily matched...oh well this will be a good excuse to go to real life shopping! Very Happy

what colors/brands have you used before? we might be able to save you a trip -- what have you used in LM?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
I have used the tinted moisturizer in nude, the primer and undercover in 1...as you can notice, everything is pretty pale, though the nude was a bit too yellowy for my skin, I think. For the most part, the matched...I just don't like the tinted moisturizer (it smells and I don't like the texture).

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
gigiab6 wrote:
I have used the tinted moisturizer in nude, the primer and undercover in 1...as you can notice, everything is pretty pale, though the nude was a bit too yellowy for my skin, I think. For the most part, the matched...I just don't like the tinted moisturizer (it smells and I don't like the texture).

I think if you wore nude but found it a bit yellow, you might want tender rose? Several people in the various threads on this topic (it exploded!) have said that they wore nude in TM and the real sand was a perfect match, but the tender rose seems a teeny bit paler and not yellow based....but it does sound like you should probably try it in person!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
dollbird wrote:
Ahh waffle, Smile one can never have too many brushes! Besides, no MMU is good without a good brush. I have the MAC 182 buffer brush, which is pretty high up there in the brush food chain, but even this cannot replicate the buttery soft flawless finish that the Laura Mercier MA gave me with LM's blending brush. After much credit card angst I have put myself on the waiting list for the brush at the LM counter, and eagerly await your review.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Oh, my!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Another $40 to add to the bill Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad .
So, my $42 foundation purchase has suddenly become $120+ LM shopping spree. Shock I better stop reading this thread Rolling Eyes.

rubby, as long as the makeup agreees with your skin, I think LM is a good investment. I've loved and rebought everything I've bought -- it is really an excellent line for people who like a yellow based, sheer glowy finish with decent coverage. Not a great line for cool toned or people who like a really matte finish, or people sensitive to certain ingredients.
sorry if that makes your buying urge worse, but just make sure and buy from a place with a good return policy, like sephora.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:30 am      Reply with quote
plus waffle, if I go in, I can have a SA help me, I like to watch and learn their techniques...and having them convince me on other things is fun too! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:32 am      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:

sorry if that makes your buying urge worse, but just make sure and buy from a place with a good return policy, like sephora.

Are you saying that Sephora would take used MMU back if it didn't work for me? My plan was to go to Holt's (it's closer to my work) or Sephora and get some samples to try over few days. I have sensitive, acne-prone skin and bismuth in LM worries me.
I'll have to look into Holt's and Sephora's return policy.
Thanks for the suggestion Waffle. Wink Really appreciat it.

snowie_bunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks again, dollbird.
This is such great review in wonderful details. This product is on the top of my list now.
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
waffle wrote:

Are you saying that Sephora would take used MMU back if it didn't work for me? My plan was to go to Holt's (it's closer to my work) or Sephora and get some samples to try over few days. I have sensitive, acne-prone skin and bismuth in LM worries me.
I'll have to look into Holt's and Sephora's return policy.
Thanks for the suggestion Waffle. Wink Really appreciat it.

rubby -- don't know about holt's, but sephora will definitely take a return on an opened product as long as you have the receipt.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
I had an item I bought from Sephora but lost the receipt, however, still had the box. They let me return it and I got something else. No questions asked. I like buying makeup from Sephora and Nordstrom's, both have easy returns.
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
marla wrote:

rubby -- don't know about holt's, but sephora will definitely take a return on an opened product as long as you have the receipt.

Hmm, that's good to know. Sephora is not as close to my work as Holt's is, but i think i'll take a bit longer lunch break tomorrow Wink.
Thanks Marla.
R. Smile

sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
Would like to give my 2cents on this. Finally got my lazy arse to Holt's to find out both Real Sand and Tender Rose are sold out and there's a waiting list for them. So I kindly ask the wonderful SA to try it out on me for the colors. She ended up giving me a sample of this and their silk creme foundation - SOOO nice! After trying it out I obviously went with Real Sand, she thought it looked better than Tender Rose too, even though on first impression she thought Tender Rose would suit me better. Just for reference though she told me ALL Of their foundations are yellow-based so even though Tender Rose is supposed to have pink undertones there will still be a bit of yellow in it.

I tried out my sample for an 8 hour day today and I must say I quite like this. On comparison this does give me more coverage than Alima and is less drying. However Alima DOES keep me matter longer. Alima also has a way matter finish. For someone who doesn't like shine/dewiness I must say I really liked the "glow" LM gave me. Immediately after application I walked around looking at myself in different mirrors (as there are different natural light exposure in diff parts of the house) I thought - wow, I look really healthy! And for someone who used to have health problems and always stuck with pale undertones it felt really nice. I was afraid of the bumpiness problem I had with Alima and it's safe to say I haven't experienced lots of bumps with this. I think I did get a little but nothing too noticeable (but I did apply less than normal since I didn't want to use my whole sample up - the SA didn't give me much). The only problem I have with this is that even Real Sand is not yellow enough for me and I'm a hint lighter - not THAT noticeable but it's obviously not a perfect match. I'm also not really that yellow-toned, goldens never work for me in any MMU brand and yet Real Sand turns out a bit pinker than I expected. I compared the color to my custom blend Lumiere of light-med golden + light med beige and they have the same shade (as in light/darkness) but my Lumiere blend was more yellow and this one was way pinker. I think the problem is I have olive undertones. But Lumiere can look chalky on me at times as their colors run lighter. Anyways with LM I also didn't experience problems with looking powdery, cakey (when I get oily) or settling into my pores. It also lasted all day. But if you're really oily the "glow" that LM gives might make you look more shiny than usual when your t-zone gets oily. So apart from the color not being too good of a match I am planning to purchase the full size. The jar looks really big compared to other companies and I do really like the deep lid. Thumbs up to LM!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Sormuimui I'm soo glad you liked this! I did the review partly with you in mind, since we were talking about primers in the other thread. You know what, the SA at Holts said the EXACT same thing to me too, that all the shades are yellow based. I thought there is no way this is true since Tender Rose looked quite pink when swatched on my skin. I actually found it a bit annoying that she told me my W-3 Alima was too yellow for me and proceeded to recommend Real Sand...sure that's the way you try to get a customer to buy your product- tell them their current HG foundation is in the wrong shade Rolling Eyes I do wish Real Sand was a bit more yellow, but I find that as the day wears on, it melds with my skin. I also find that blush does help in taking away the 'beigeness'. Other than that I'm still loving this a lot. Do update when you get it! Smile
btw: how are you liking the silk creme foundation?
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't tried my sample yet but the SA put some one me when she was finding a color match - creme ivory works really well for me. I'll let you know once I try it. But it did feel pretty light on my skin and not heavy at all. I really wanted to keep using Alima but I just couldn't fool myself with those bumps. I have a much more generous sample of this than the real sand - I think it was because the SA could squeeze out of a tube instead of having to dump powder onto a piece of paper to transfer it into the tiny jar.
marie7927
5% products discount

Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
I cannot wait to get one after reading this tempting review Very Happy ok, saks5ave FF is only 12 days away. Razz
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
What is saks5ave FF?

5% products discount

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
skim wrote:
What is saks5ave FF?

saksfifthavenue family and friends event ->20% off
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Wonderful review dollbird! I will definitely stop by Holts & Sephora this weekend and ask for some samples. I have my fingers crossed that I won't react to this MMU the same way I did to the EDM samples (I broke-out in clusters of tiny itchy bumps across my cheeks and found the products very drying). That pretty much curbed my enthusiasm about MMU in general until I read this review. You seem so pleased with LM that I'm willing to give MMU another shot - you never know, maybe I'll get lucky this time round and my skin will love it! Pray

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:22 am      Reply with quote
I am still loving my LM MMU but the tinted moisturizer is out for me, unfortunately. I tested it out Tuesday and it both turned orange on me and broke me out (oil-free version) so I won't be buying the full-size. Since I have oily skin and it's reputed to not work so well, I recommend for others in the same boat to grab a sample because you never know, it might work for you. In my case, I have to stick to just the MMU, which is fab. Smile

Fri May 17, 2024 10:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Doctor Babor Cleanformance Renewal Overnight Mask (75 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |