Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis+ Kaolin Purifying Mask (75 ml) Shira Nutriburst Peptide Day Therapy (50 ml)
Review::: NARS Albatross highlighting powder
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
jadette
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:31 am      Reply with quote
argh - my lemming for this product has been re-ignited Wink
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone who's tried this also tried the Nars Copacabana Multiple? I bought Copacabana to use as a highlighter but it looks too shiny for my taste. Is Albatross more subtle than Copacabana? I'm glad Albatross seems to have a golden tone to it since Copacabana was too much on the cool side for my skin tone.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I caved and ordered the Albatross highlighter. I have been reading so much lately about how using highlighters and/or bronzers correctly can really give your face that special glow. I got this one, the Nico highlighter, plus the Laguna bronzer and I hope by playing around with them I'll be able to figure out how to use them to look naturally glowy but not overly made-up.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Another great highlighting powder for those who are either over 40, or those who have larger pores, are the MAC Beauty Powders in Pearl Sunshine (a peachier golden highlight) or Sunsparked Pearl (a sunny, golden highlight). They are for cheeks, eyes or all over...extrmely finely milled powders with a very delicate sophisticated glow. They are NOT at all sparkly or glittery, but rather are ultrafine pearlescent shimmers that make you look lit from within...beautiful powders that make you truly glow. They were limited editions and are now discontined but look for them on MakeupAlley.com or on ebay. You might find them there every once in a while...if so, grab 'em!! I recall they were sold out very, very quickly due to high demand. The are, in my opinion, far superior to NARS Albatross.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
MBGirl wrote:
The are, in my opinion, far superior to NARS Albatross.

Hi there MBGirl. I'm over 40 and would love to know in what way the MAC powders you describe are far superior to Albatross?

I have albatross, and I love it, I also love various Meteorites, and am interested in the Magic of Highlighters!

Can you say what you think is the actual difference between Albatross and those you prefer?

thanks.
MBGirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
In my experience, the reflective particles in the MAC powders are much more finely milled than those in Albatross...which in turn means that the MAC powder is less likely to settle into larger pores or fine lines, excentuating those flaws. The MAC gives off a true glow, whereas I find the Albatross to give off a shimmer, albeit a fine shimmer. As well, I find the "cast" of the MAC powders to be more complex, reflecting back a variety of subtle hues (like real candle light would) as opposed to the more monotone gold reflection of the Albatross. Just my personal opinion, but I would highly recommend that you try the MAC powders if you can find them. I think you'd love the MAC ones!
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
I'll look into this - thanks for the tip Exclamation I bought LM Secret Brightening several mos ago (due to raves), and I have to say I'm not very impressed. On my fair skin, it seems flat and chalky. I was looking for something brightening and lightening for the inner eye area and browbone (I'm 40 and just now learned this trick from Carmindy on WNTW Confused ).

I'm currently using a sample of Alima eye shadow in Pearl. My DH, who NEVER comments on my m/u, told me when I first used it that he wasn't sure if he liked it but later at a party he said it looked fabulous (he's slow to adapt to new things Wink ). He comments on how much he likes every time I use, which is pretty much daily now since it's giving me the effect I was looking for.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
MBGirl wrote:
In my experience, the reflective particles in the MAC powders are much more finely milled than those in Albatross...which in turn means that the MAC powder is less likely to settle into larger pores or fine lines, excentuating those flaws. The MAC gives off a true glow, whereas I find the Albatross to give off a shimmer, albeit a fine shimmer. As well, I find the "cast" of the MAC powders to be more complex, reflecting back a variety of subtle hues (like real candle light would) as opposed to the more monotone gold reflection of the Albatross. Just my personal opinion, but I would highly recommend that you try the MAC powders if you can find them. I think you'd love the MAC ones!

Thanks MBGirl. So it is a glow, rather than a shimmer. Do you know Meteorites at all? I would say they have a glow rather than a shimmer, but I'd love to know what you - or someone who knows the MAc powders - would say to compare the two.

You know one of the tricky things now for me about putting mu on, is my eyesight. Rolling Eyes What with the original shortsightedness and now the long sightedness, I have a dread of imagining I look fine, when I actually I look overdone or patchy or whatever.. I bought a magnifying mirror, but still..
I'd hate to be overdoing the shimmer, inadvertently.
MBGirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
As a point of reference, Guerlain Meteorites seem too shimmery, in my opinion. The MAC powders truly make your skin look lit from within, touched by candlelight, not shimmery on the surface. The problem is that the MAC powders were limited editions and are recently discontinued. I would checkwww.makeupalley.com (in the swap section) first and try ebay as a last resort---lots of fake products on ebay, not so on makeupalley.
If you can find the MAC powders somewhere, grab 'em!! The are SO worth it!
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips about the MAC beauty powders MBGirl. If the NARS products I ordered end up being too shimmery or obvious-looking I will try one of the beauty powders next. I am looking for something that gives a really subtle glow and from your description the beauty powders sound just about right. MUA gave mostly favorable reviews as well and those that didn't like them were saying the shimmer was too subtle but that's what I'm looking for. Thanks again; I'd never really looked into these until now.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:48 am      Reply with quote
A heads up for anyone looking for the MAC powders! TWO of the colors just came up on MakeupAlley. If I recall, I think they are brand new. If anyone is searching for these powders, you might want to hurry and go check out makeupalley. It's very difficult to find them, especially brand new ones!
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I tried Albatross out and really liked it. I didn't find it too shimmery and I'm easily turned off by too much shimmer. It just gave a nice subtle glow. Very happy! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:12 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the info...I am definitely stopping at the NARS BAR on my next trip to Holt Renfrew. That is the only place I know of in Vancouver that carries Nars. If anyone knows anywhere else to purchase Nars in the area, please let me know Smile
bamboo
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the great review!! I currently use Guerlain for highlighter... Works great too!!
bamboo
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
How big is the bottle?
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
luvyourskin wrote:
Thanks for all the info...I am definitely stopping at the NARS BAR on my next trip to Holt Renfrew. That is the only place I know of in Vancouver that carries Nars. If anyone knows anywhere else to purchase Nars in the area, please let me know Smile

It can also be found at The Bay downtown.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:18 am      Reply with quote
I got the Dolce Vita set from Sephora, which includes the Albatross highlighter, Lovejoy blush, and Dolce Vita lipgloss. I really do like the set, but it's not the greatest match for me. I look better in cool-based colors, and this set seems to fall in the warm-based category. Still, I can get away with it, it's just not perfect.

I agree with all of the reviews about the pretty subtlety of the Albatross. It does produce a nice glowy effect. It's on the gold side as opposed to silver.

The Lovejoy blush is okay. The color match isn't perfect for me, and I have other blushes I like better. However, I do like this paired with the Albatross as a substitute for eyeshadow. I apply Albatross to the whole lid, then sweep the Lovejoy along the crease area. It brightens and contours the eye area. It's perfect when you don't want to look too made up, but still want to look better than you would bare-faced. It goes lovely with a deep blue-black mascara.

The Dolce Vita lipgloss is a nice, rich shade. It's long lasting and feels good.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
I just came across a thread in which folks were comparing these two products and I laughed out loud because my daughter and I recently did a back-to-back comparison ourselves during her last visit! I had the Albatross, and she brought the MAC Beauty Powder Sunsparked Pearl in her makeup case.

The verdict--kind of a tossup, actually. As far as sparkliness, both are very, very subtle. We applied them first side by side on the inner arm--Albatross was a tad more shimmery, perhaps, and a platinum-gold color. Sunsparked Pearl is a really complicated color to describe--it's a light beige, but it seems to have tinges of plum and peach in it, too. But once we put them on our faces, we couldn't actually discern a distinct color with the MAC highlighter. Instead, like the Albatross, it gives a subtle lit-from-within glow. Both are on the warm side.

We tried out two applications--first, just as a highlighter over the browbone, with a nice blush below. (I used Julie Hewett Natural Cheekie, she used Nars Deep Throat.) Then, on a bare browbone as a highlighter over a neutral eyeshadow (Malted Shimmerwash by Bobbi Brown for me, I forget what she used...) Incidentally, she used a blush brush and an eyeshadow brush--I used a baby kabuki by Lumiere. Again, left side was one highlighter, and the right was the other.

Final verdict: She thinks the MAC is better. I honestly saw very little difference either looking at her or at me. And they were close enough so that we went right out to dinner and didn't "even up" our makeup. Both are really beautiful, subtle and I think would work for almost anyone.

Now, why doesn't Consumer Reports do comparisons like this??
Windyemmy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
This is my HG hilighter!!!very subtle but delicate effect, I just love it. Part of my make up routine! The subtle color is very versitile and gets along with all looks. LOVE LOVE LOVE!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:05 am      Reply with quote
I love the Albatross highlighter - one of my best makeup purchases in the last few years.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Agreed. Everytime I wear this I get so many compliments on my skin. I love the way it feels.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:21 am      Reply with quote
You bratty girls have done it to me yet again. Laughing

My DH had given me a $100 GC to Sephora (which you can spend in about 2.3 seconds in there) so I was of course over at the Nars area - and when I saw Albatross I thought "I must have this" - so in it plopped into my little shopping bag - sigh.....I'll report in on my findings - but it does look lovely in the pan. Also, not that you asked, but I'm telling you anyway Very Happy I purchased a new Spring Tarte cheek stain - lots more creamier than their usual - very pinky-girly color, purchased a couple of Stila pan shadows (Shell, Suntan), purchased a Vanille-Abricot perfume (Lawrence Dumont) for my darling daughter's Easter basket, and a Dior Addict Lipgloss (#457 - a pinky/peachy color)...Did I end up owing them money???? OF COUSE! Rolling Eyes

xoMaria Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Hope you love it Mariav Very Happy
cristaline
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:49 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets recommended Albatross in another thread and I'm excited to try it.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:57 am      Reply with quote
So I know I'm reviving a really old thread here, but I remember dollbird's original review being super-helpful, and a friend of mine recently bought this to help her face glow on her wedding day. And she looked great!

Since I'm getting married and totally wanted to copy her glow, I splurged and got this at Sephora... and CANNOT get it to look good! It works great as an eye shadow/highlighter, but I keep finding that no matter what brush I use, I can't apply it evenly or gently enough. And it seems like it really settles in my mores on my cheeks, even though that's not my "poriest" area by any means!

Do any of you have any tips for application? Do you use a primer? I'm so bummed, and I really want this to work for me!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
System
Automatic Message
Fri May 17, 2024 12:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Tighten & Lift Peptight™ 360˚ Tightening Eye Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |