Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Skin damaging effects of hyaluronic acid?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:21 am      Reply with quote
In another thread I mentioned that I'd read this, and Virginia asked me to start a new thread on it.

I was reading in the Skin Biology forum where Dr. Pickart said,
Quote:
The problem with putting hyaluronic acid on skin is that it wets the outer skin proteins and damages the protective skin barrier. This wetting also slows keratinocyte progression to the skin's surface and actually speeds aging.
(Hope it's ok to quote from another forum) They discussed it in several threads, but it looks as if they haven't talked about it for nearly a year.
http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8890018252/m/7300014564?r=7300014564#7300014564
Anybody know of studies where this has been proved or disproved? If not just console me that I'm not putting something on my face that will age me even faster!! I don't go to that forum often, but the doctor seems to have a loyal following. Sometimes the internet has too much info, and it gets very confusing.

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:52 am      Reply with quote
I have used hyaluronic acid for years. HA is in the product I use now. Ampules of straight HA I use as a first layer to a masque or after a peel.

Hyaluronic Acid locks moisture in your skin. However, I use HA first and apply a moisturizer over it. Without using a moisturizer HA dehydrate my skin.

Dr. Pickart's opinion regarding HA might (or might not) be right. Personally, HA agrees with my skin. I have had nothing but positive results from my routine.

I look forward to hearing other opinions on the subject.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Maria1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Hyaluronic acid is in the serum and moisturizer I am using now. My skin feels very hydrated. I have heard if you don't put a moisturizer over HA it will dehydrate your skin. I'm curious too if anyone has more info on this topic.
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Maria and Winnie.
Quote:
I look forward to hearing other opinions on the subject.
Yes, I was hoping some of the members who sell HA would comment with their studies.

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
catballou wrote:
In another thread I mentioned that I'd read this, and Virginia asked me to start a new thread on it.

I was reading in the Skin Biology forum where Dr. Pickart said,
Quote:
The problem with putting hyaluronic acid on skin is that it wets the outer skin proteins and damages the protective skin barrier. This wetting also slows keratinocyte progression to the skin's surface and actually speeds aging.
(Hope it's ok to quote from another forum) They discussed it in several threads, but it looks as if they haven't talked about it for nearly a year.
http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8890018252/m/7300014564?r=7300014564#7300014564
Anybody know of studies where this has been proved or disproved? If not just console me that I'm not putting something on my face that will age me even faster!! I don't go to that forum often, but the doctor seems to have a loyal following. Sometimes the internet has too much info, and it gets very confusing.
I know what you mean Cat. They are right cuz sometimes overmoisturizing skin is not a good thing and thats what HA does right?? I am a Paula Begoun follower and she says it best here. Hope you find some time to read this. Its long but a good read. http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=161

Heres another link from same website: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=371
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
I have ever use pure HA from psf. I feel my skin really hydrated but sometimes I feel allergic. I am not sure it is from HA or not but it can keep water in my skin very well.
littleprakhem
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:14 am      Reply with quote
I am using HA serum from PSF. I always use it followed by a good moisturizer and it seems to work well for the purpose of hydrating my skin.

Before i started using HA serum, my skin was dry and didn't absorb the moisturizer well enough such that i had some residuals of the moisterizer left on my face. I then was told to try HA serum.

Reading your post raises my concern over the use of HA serum a bit though i notice that HA is in many products now. Hope that there are more insightful comments on this coming.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for starting this thread, Cat, and for all the replies! I'm very curious to know what the scientific basis is behind the good doctor's theories, but he seems to be so elusive about it.

I recently started using Retin-A and after that my favorite physical SS suddenly started to sting/irritate my skin. I had wondered what ingredient might be causing that reaction, since the ingredient list seems super-mild, and now I'm wondering if it might possibly be the HA.

But again, I'd want more info. Sometimes it's so frustrating to not be a chemist myself and able to just pop into the lab and get the answer! Very Happy

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:56 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread, Cat, and for all the replies! I'm very curious to know what the scientific basis is behind the good doctor's theories, but he seems to be so elusive about it.

I recently started using Retin-A and after that my favorite physical SS suddenly started to sting/irritate my skin. I had wondered what ingredient might be causing that reaction, since the ingredient list seems super-mild, and now I'm wondering if it might possibly be the HA.

But again, I'd want more info. Sometimes it's so frustrating to not be a chemist myself and able to just pop into the lab and get the answer! Very Happy
If thats what you feel, than don't use it ginnie. Always listen to your intuition.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:49 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree in theory, SusieQ -- but have you TRIED the stuff? It's the most gloriously delightful physical sunscreen I've ever tried, ever. It's so creamy and yet light and it's totally transparent and not at all greasy or shine-inducing, like most physical sunscreens. It'd be like breaking up! Laughing

I'm going to pay close attention to how my skin reacts over time, since I always find that the initial push with Retin-A is horrid, but that all sensitivities calm down after the first month or so. If I'm still feeling stinging after my other Retin-A symptoms calm down, I may have to ditch the glorious Devita after all (or try and convince the company to take heed of the anti-HA buzz and reformulate!)

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
This shocks me. I always thought HA is a natural element that exists in healthy skin and as we age we lose HA and that's why we want to add it topically to help our skin cells retain moister.
If your skin tells you that it needs hydration (if you can see those dehydration "wrinkles"), I don't see what's the harm of using HA plus moisturizer to help. All I know is dehydrated skin is never healthy skin. It is similar to people often ask how often they should mask. The answer is always depends on what your skin needs.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know about the damaging effect of HA serum. All I know is I got an adverse effect from using it. I bought a bottle of PSF HA Serum after reading all the raves about HA serum. My skin seemed a lot more dehydrated and dull when I used it. I used it on top of my moisturizer. From what I've read on this thread, people seem to use it underneath a moisturizer. Maybe that's why I had an adverse effect? I've always thought it shouldn't matter so much. Today I went through my stash looking for the HA serum I got thinking I'd try it the other way around this time, but I couldn't find it. I guess I must have thrown it out already. It was that bad for me! Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
This is all news to me since the only times I've used HA is when it's already IN the moisturizer that I'm using...does that mean I should be putting more moisturizer on top of the moisturizer with the HA in it? Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have come across this topic several times on other boards. Though i am concerned, i don't think i will stop using HA anytime soon. What i would like to hear more are comments from long time users such as Winnie. I have only been using products with HA and HA serums themselves for about a year and haven't noticed any ill side effects.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
I totally agree in theory, SusieQ -- but have you TRIED the stuff? It's the most gloriously delightful physical sunscreen I've ever tried, ever. It's so creamy and yet light and it's totally transparent and not at all greasy or shine-inducing, like most physical sunscreens. It'd be like breaking up! Laughing

I'm going to pay close attention to how my skin reacts over time, since I always find that the initial push with Retin-A is horrid, but that all sensitivities calm down after the first month or so. If I'm still feeling stinging after my other Retin-A symptoms calm down, I may have to ditch the glorious Devita after all (or try and convince the company to take heed of the anti-HA buzz and reformulate!)

I have tried other forms of HA including the pure stuff and the two I tried always left my skin tight and irritated and than I found out later you should wear a moisturizer OVER the HA cuz the HA is not enough. But maybe the combination of the retin A and the HA just don't chemically match up. Use your retin A maybe 2-3 times per week or back off on the use of it for awhile.
littleprakhem
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Aimee3 wrote:
This is all news to me since the only times I've used HA is when it's already IN the moisturizer that I'm using...does that mean I should be putting more moisturizer on top of the moisturizer with the HA in it? Confused

I don't think so. I put a moisturizer on top of HA serum simply because the HA serum from PSF is hyaluronic acid solution (distilled water + sodium hyaluronate). To my understanding, if you are using concentrated HA, you have to apply a moisturizer on top otherwise it may have an adverse effect, that is, dehydrating your skin. Most of moisturizers that have HA in them, do not have high concentration of HA and they also have other emollients as ingredient.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
littleprakhem wrote:
Aimee3 wrote:

I don't think so. I put a moisturizer on top of HA serum simply because the HA serum from PSF is hyaluronic acid solution (distilled water + sodium hyaluronate). To my understanding, if you are using concentrated HA, you have to apply a moisturizer on top otherwise it may have an adverse effect, that is, dehydrating your skin. Most of moisturizers that have HA in them, do not have high concentration of HA and they also have other emollients as ingredient.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

That makes sense. Thank you.
cawl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:36 am      Reply with quote
My first experience with HA was in the Alphaderma skin prep, and my skin really drank it up and loved it. When I ran out I bought the PSF HA and have not been happy, I find it leaves my skin tight and dry feeling, plus the pump dispenser just shoots the stuff out so unless you have your hands cupped around the nozzle it sprays everywhere.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
HI, Everybody, After reading some of your posts, I went to the Skinbiology forum to read other posts regarding HA. Dr. P referred to the HA keeping skin too wet. (?) I use an HA serum right after I wash my face and apply moisturizer after. I've done this for several months. I believe it's ok so far. Phooey! I don't know. Rolling Eyes Thank you for all the conversation.
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
How many renowned individuals in dermatology are voicing this opinion?
meggiequn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I just ordered PSF HA from EDS today.

cawl wrote:
My first experience with HA was in the Alphaderma skin prep, and my skin really drank it up and loved it. When I ran out I bought the PSF HA and have not been happy, I find it leaves my skin tight and dry feeling, plus the pump dispenser just shoots the stuff out so unless you have your hands cupped around the nozzle it sprays everywhere.
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Wow, we're all really hyped up about a few words from Dr. P. As a recent convert to HA (after VitC and before moisturizers...)I'm going to bide my time before I would every consider ditching the stuff.

Love it, skin craves it now that drying winter heat is with us (found high quality, inexpensive ones atwww.cellbone.com)- why would I ditch it after just a few words from Dr. P (am also a CP user & respect him but my skin's reaction to HA takes precedence)?

I for one would like to see more indepth info/proof before I'd consider battling with my skin over its use.
k! (orangewasabi)
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:19 am      Reply with quote
It's not entirely unreasonable to think that keeping the skin TOO wet is bad -- think about how fragile your skin on your fingers is when you've been soaking in the bath too long.

we're adults though, right? we get out of the bath with pruney hands and avoid picking up sharp pointy things by their tips.

I would imagine that if our facial skin gets too hydrated, we might notice and well . . . back of the HA. no?
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
k! (orangewasabi) wrote:
It's not entirely unreasonable to think that keeping the skin TOO wet is bad -- think about how fragile your skin on your fingers is when you've been soaking in the bath too long.

we're adults though, right? we get out of the bath with pruney hands and avoid picking up sharp pointy things by their tips.

I would imagine that if our facial skin gets too hydrated, we might notice and well . . . back of the HA. no?

I don't apply HA on wet skin altho' it seems some do. What I've recently found my skin loving is this: VitC, wait the 10 min. HA (I use Cellex C Hydra B5 currently), wait about 10 min, then SkinBio's EmuS, adding a little water to it in palm of hand. Wait for it to skin in, and then, it loves an application of NCN's CP Accelerator on top of all this. Can feel my little cells just jumping for joy with this 'special drink' of moisturizers.

But to get to your point- just how many people are there with skin that's too hydrated!!!??? Maybe too oily, but even oily skinned people can complain of dryness.

I personally think our Dr. P has to elaborate a lot more before his remarks on this subject hold any water for me (hee hee..).
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
arya2 wrote:

I personally think our Dr. P has to elaborate a lot more before his remarks on this subject hold any water for me (hee hee..).

LOL! I'm a sucker for a good pun. Smile I totally agree that I want more clear, concise, scientific information. The fact is, MOST actives in skincare can be damaging at certain percentages or in certain forms, right? (I.e., look at overuse of retinol or TCA peels or copper peptides or overdoing the lactic acid or vitamin C... all those things can be harmful in the wrong concentration. I feel like it follows that HA could be damaging in SOME concentrations, too, but we need more info to really decide!)

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |