Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Best Foundation/Makeup/Haircare for Acne Prone Skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
almomof2
5% products discount

Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have always had china doll skin, but in the past 2 years, my skin has become increasingly worse plaqued by acne. I am 36 years old, have fair skin and my face is all over the place. Typically the pattern has been jumping from the chin to the forehead and back and forth, but lately I've noticed some acne on my cheeks too. It's completely out of control. Anyway, I am in love with these forums and have started a path with skincare hoping to get that under control. now I'm wandering about makeup and foundation. I'm so paranoid about what to put on my face that I don't know where to start.

Also- does anyone believe that your face can react to your shampoo, hairspray? Any acne friendly haircare?

Hoping for input from everyone.

thanks-
Heather
Hannah-Louise
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi heather!
I also have EXTREMELY acne prone skin Sad and its horrible so I know how you feel. I don't know about hairspray or shampoo but I imagine it will have some effect on your skin if the hairspray is full of nasty chemicals.

The acne on your cheeks is probably due to blush if you use it. I used Jane Iredale makeup which I think is brilliant. Its all natural and helps the skin, no clogging of the pores etc. Also for a treatment for acne there are so many rave reviews for juice beauty products so from what I've heard you could try Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum, its in my next order and I can't wait to try it!
haha! I feel like a sales person, but I hope this is some help!
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Mineral makeup is often very beneficial for acne prone skin...also because it contains little or no scent and acne skin if most often very sensitive, therefore it will benefit from mineral makeup. Perhaps it is good to look for a mica free blend: mineralmakeupmania dot com has lots of info on mineral makeup brands, and several companies have samples for little money or even for free.

I think that you should avoid getting any conditioner on your face, so try to wash your hair separately, keep your head tilted or only put conditioner from your ears and lower.

I have a sensitive skin, and if I get any irritating shamppoo on my face, it reacts, so I think that acne skin can react upon shampoo as well, so try to avoid rinsing your shampoo and letting the rinsing water flow over your face.

Goodluck Razz
k! (orangewasabi)
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
definately! im my mid thirties, my skin started to go nuts!

I even got breakouts on my neck -- it took me forever to figure out that it was my shampoo and conditioner causing hte breakoutso on my neck and hairline. Then longer to figure out which ones I *could* use.

I agree that mineral makeup might also be good for you. Fusion of Color offers mineral foundations with actives in them which might be good for you.

http://www.fusionofcolor.net/Foundation-with-Active-Complexes-c-305.html

Really the trick is to find a skincare regime down that 1/ keeps your pores clear and 2/ combats the bacteria that causes breakouts.
meao
5% products discount

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I suffer from acne too - ACK Rolling Eyes ! But I have found that using unrefined oils works great - for myself and a lot of other people, it also works for wrinkles, oily skin and the dry flakies (for those I also use shea butter under the oil, which works great).
Here is what I use:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - which is my HG oil.
Coconut oil - good, but I'm too lazy to heat it (its a butter substance at room temp but melts to a liquid in higher temps).

People also use:
Rosehip Oil.
Jojoba Oil.
Castor Oil.

Many people mix different oils together, as many provide different benefits - oils also dissolve dirt so can be used to remove makeup.
Just massage some oil into the skin and leave it over night, then wash it off with a gentle cleanser.

I also use aloe vera gel, as a makeup base and it has really helped clear up my skin - it also makes it lovely and glowy!

For inflamed acne quick fixes, anti-red eye drops applied with a qtip 5 mins before you apply the rest of your makeup/skin care... works great for the redness and an ice cube on it for 5 mins reduces the size.

I also use toothpaste, which is great - it gets rid of the blemish in just under 3 nights and is noticebly smaller within the first night.

Good luck, I hope this helped Very Happy !
vangurl

Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
There are many things that you can do to help with breakouts that occur consistently in the same areas but it may take a bit of sleuthing. First, if you are experiencing any type of breakout the most important thing is to change your pillowcase often. Use one side one night, flip to the other the next and then change it. Second, alot of people touch their face without even realizing they are doing it, it takes alot of effort to stop this because it is usually done subconsiously. Clean your phone(s) cell and home phones, I've seen a lot of people that break out around the chin area especially because of cradling the phone between the neck and face. Remember that acne is caused by a lot of external and internal factors but the most important is bacteria. Bacteria is easily spread through contact so eliminating as many external causes could help with finding the root cause of breakouts.

One last thing. The applicators used to apply makeup can be a huge problem, especially the applicators that have the wands that are reinserted into the makeup.

Hope this helps
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:28 am      Reply with quote
I've acne,so I don't use foundation.
I use LRP sunscreen and almay powder,and I can use several make up which I must use dhc cleansing oil to remove makeup and sunscreen to pretect acne.
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:07 am      Reply with quote
In additional,one of my skin care doctor suggests me to use baby shampoo as hair shampoo and when using any body lotion,must avoid from touching face,it'll cause acne.
rabbitpig
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
I like KP foundation and powder.
it does not break me out at all.
rabbitpig
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
you can also try the makeup staffs, they are very nice for acne-prone skin.
miko
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
rabbitpig what is KP?
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Kesalan Patharan(+KP) is a Japanese brand especially famous for its makeup base. www.kesalanpatharan.co.jp
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Almomof2,

What products are you using? Do you get regular acne or is it inflamed/small pimples, or cystic? IS there a combo of each form. I think that I can help recommend somethings that have SAVED my severely acne prone skin year, after year. I too was plagued by adult acne, and being 34 there are times when it takes over and quickly creates a home on my face.

The good news, is that after studying aesthetics, trying a ton of products - There are products that work, and that can keep your acne at bay....if your stick with them...my problem/

Let me know what your skin condition is, and what makes you break out..if you know.
I will be more than happy to give you a few tips, always here to help!!

Feliz
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I just noticed you wanted product advice.

True Cosmetics is the ONLY line to use as it does not contain bismouthoxide, which is a heavy, pore clogging ingredient in most other companies. Med #2 is the best color to cover redness, as you need a yellow base to be effective. I have actually ordered Fair #1,#2,#4, and Med #2....the latter works the Best for redness..the other are basically useless.

Feliz
audieleigh

Thu May 06, 2010 11:16 am      Reply with quote
i know you only wanted product information, but i have struggled with acne since my early teens, and have noticed certain things seem to trigger breakouts. i have noticed what i eat really affects my breakouts--i know there is a lot of dispute over this, but the fact is that for me, when i eat certain foods, my face always breaks out. when i eat clean--fruits, lots of veggies, lean proteins--my acne seems to be controlled much better. the added benefit is i lost weight! i also try to really steer clear of sugary foods, they seem to be a major contributor. of course, drinking lots of water makes my skin much prettier! i do tend to break out around my period, so i try to use my proactive mask a couple of times about a week before. if i get a breakout, i dab the mask in the affected area and sleep with it on overnight. it really helps. i also discovered a sulfur soap at cvs--i wash with this on my face, chest and back when i shower, and i really like it. i like the proactive products i've tried, although i haven't tried the makeup. some other tips i like: i don't work out with makeup on my face, i always wash my face before i go to bed, and i don't wear makeup if i don't have to. hope this helps!
simplyearth

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Sorry for everyone, but my opinion is slightly different. There are some habits in our daily basis that tends not to avoid acné increase, like our nourishment, hands on the face when we're drifting off to sleep and so forth.

I'm not saying products with minerals and other components does not do anything. Of course they do. But the majority of the cases it only hides the real problem. Therefore, a good and natural facial clean up must be critical before applying something on the damage, that can pretty much increase the problem.

I personally have serious problems myself with acne and I know how it feels. Just for your reference, I have a red wine cream that does wonders. I worked for me as well, and this can be an excellent alternative for you to take. Best of luck!

Esther.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:05 am      Reply with quote
I have been using True Cosmetics Compact for a few years now. its the only thing that does not aggravate my acne, I actually think it helps. I agree with Feliz about Med #2, that is the shade I use, but of course it depends on your skin tone. I am pale & caucasian.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:06 am      Reply with quote
I agree that conditioner can be a culprit. I always wash my face and back after rinsing out my conditioner to get rid of residue. Kiehls "leave in silk groom" made me break out like crazy. I used to love it for my hair, but I had to stop using it for the sake of my skin!
kanataesthetics

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
It looks from the patern chin, and then forhead and now spread to the cheeks, like hormonal and bacterial acne.
Hormonal acne is present in the chin area,once the bacteria started to grow , by touching the skin, by not using the right products, or by using too many products, now the skin is way too acidic and the bacteria florished by spreading all over... It is important to find in your area a dermatologist or a reputable medi spa that offer free consultation, let them take a look at the skin and start a good skin care regime, try to change your pillow cases every night with fresh ones, try to bleach the sheets and towels, try to wash the makeup really well out of your skin and try to have regularly facials to detoxify, purify and balance your skin.
If you are in the Ottawa area, let me know...
Good luck!
Brent

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Many people mix different oils together, as many provide different advantages - sebum also melt dust so can be used to eliminate cosmetics.
Just massage some oil into the skin and keep it over night, then clean it off with a soothing cleaner.
Cat_eyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
higig wrote:
Kesalan Patharan(+KP) is a Japanese brand especially famous for its makeup base. www.kesalanpatharan.co.jp

I'd like to try that one; but I do not speak Japanese. Wish I did. lol

Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |