Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Aloe Vera Gel - Reactions?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
I have bad, irritated sensitive dehydrated congested skin right now and decided to ditch everything for a few days to see how my skin responds. I bought food grade aloe vera gel to use as a moisturizer/humectant. Well, I first put the aloe vera gel on my neck and hands and it soaked right in - no problems. Then I put it on my cheek over a congested patch and within a minute or two it turned bright red and felt hot. It's Lily of the Desert brand with the following ingredients:

Inner fillet aloe, carrageenan (thickening agent), citric acid (ph stabilizer) an dpotassium sorbate (mold inhibitor)

I read that reactions to aloe are extremely rare. Could it be one of the other ingredients? I figured if this product was marketed for consumption/eating, it was surely safe for my skin.

thoughts? this is depressing me!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi shelly,

I don't think you are having a reaction, per se, but I can tell you that when my skin was freaking out in mid-winter last year, aloe exacerbated it for some reason as well. I do not think it is the additives in the aloe that are worsening your problem (although pure aloe is always preferable), but aloe can be drying and it sounds like your skin is having a reaction to dryness/weather/products--am I right? did you overexfoliate? You need to focus on reconstituting your barrier at the moment.
I would use a micellar cleanser--one that doesn't need to be washed off (water dehydrates skin), and some aquaphor or cerave--two extremely basic and healing moisturizers that will not set you back much. Then you might want to look into Remergent Barrier Repair when your skin is on the mend.

You can also try using a healing oil that is neutral and the chemical makeup of which is close to that of the skin--such as hazelnut or macadamia--massage lightly into the skin am and pm. Finally, drink lots of water and get lots of Essential Fatty Acids in your diet. I grind up flax seeds everyday and add them to my yogurt.

Let us know how it goes!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hello.....I have used a very good grade of aloe vera with not so great results. I found it to be very drying to my skin. It's not that it irritated my skin in any way, the strange thing is that it did not moisturize my skin either and I always felt my skin to be a little drier after using it. I gave up on the aloe vera thinking that it was just me not being able to use normal products.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have used aloe and I didnt notice it doing anything for my skin either.
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone. Sounds like my focus should be on "repairing the barrier". And thanks avalange for the product reco's...I'll check them out!

Oh, how long does it take to repair the barrier?

Shelly
blackmamba
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard that skin regenerates itself in around a month. As for aloe, I've used some a few and none of them have done squat for my skin. A rep at sephoras said that they are good for pimples. I don't have any. If I do, I may try it though. I've heard Veld's Ferox is good ( that's highest grade aloe you can get). I've ordered a sample of it so I'll let everyone know how that goes. I've just found aloe to be cooling on sunburns.
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:19 am      Reply with quote
Can you use cetaphil moisturizer cream? I think this cream is for sensitive skin.
ahihi
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Sounds to me as though you are allergic to aloe. I am allergic to it - I break out in a rash, similar to when I eat mangoes.. I have heard that it is not too uncommon for blonde or fair skin types to be allergic to aloe (mangoes, and plenty of other things, too).

I would stay away from all products with aloe... Cetaphil is very gentle - and recommended by dermatologists as a safe daily cleanser. I like the Wei Milky Chestnut Cleanser, Cliniques Comforting Cleanser - very gentle (although it leaves a little bit of a film), and a gentle cleanser/exfoliation that is nice is MD Formulations facial cleanser. Amazing how complicated washing your face can be!
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for the additional thoughts.

Shelly
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |