Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

:REVIEW: MAC Mineralize Satinfinish - mild thumbs down
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
I had a MAC Attack late last year - None of my natural botanical brands [Dr. Hauschka] have enough pop or dramatic eyeshadows, so I made an appt. at my local Nordstrom's for MACover. I felt like I was getting in a cosmetics rut, you know what I mean?

To the review! The MA paired me with Mineralize Satinfinish because I told her I have oily skin and prefer mineral makeup. I have no idea what is in this stuff; ingredients are only listed on the box so you have to read the packaging or buy before you can find out. I suspect this contains ingredients I don't even want to know about! Laughing

She selected NC30, even though that looked too dark but I went with it. She applied a primer first, then the Satinfinish and finished off with some powder. I asked for a sample to take with me. I looked great inside the store, but when I got outside in natural daylight I looked yellow and I have a lunch date, disaster! Embarassed Thank God I had my trusty Dr. Hauschka translucent pressed powder to deal with this mess! Oh, and I also got the shiny shines after a couple hours to boot.

Day 2: I tried my sample of Satinfinish over the pearl paste I've been using for the last 6 months to see if that would help control the shine better. It still looked really yellow under natural light and I got the shines within a couple of hours.

I went back to the MAC counter and asked for a sample that wouldn't make me look so yellow. I think I'm a neutral, because it's difficult for me to find a match. She gave me a sample of both NW30 and NW25. The NW25 actually looked the best; it was lighter and a little more cool than the NC shades but it still got very shiny very soon.

On the plus side, this didn't break me out and it blended in very well. It's not heavy and feels very natural and "unmakeupy". The texture is quite lovely

Unfortunately there were more negatives than positives for me.

1. Getting shiny after only a few hours? I experienced that back in my Almay drugstore foundation days and for much less money!

2. The price - although I didn't pay for it since I was using samples, anything that's gonna cost $26.50 for 1 oz. had better work!

3. The color system MAC uses is another downside for me. This probably isn't a big deal for experienced MAC fanatics, but it's backwards from the rest of the cosmetics world. Very Happy NC which should imply COOL actually means it leans toward the warmer side, because NC means Neutralizes Cool so it's actually Warm. And NW means it Neutralizes Warm, so it's on the cooler side. MAC claims this follows the artists color wheel, which would mean that yellow is warmer than red, but I beg to differ. The artist's color wheel indicates that any red with a bias toward BLUE is cooler than a red with a bias toward Orange.

I'm giving it a mild thumbs down because I think those with more yellow tones and dryer skin would probably like this better than I, but it's not the one for me. I'll stick to my liquid MMU and powdered MMU for foundation.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:22 am      Reply with quote
I think MAC has a limited range of suitable colors for the skin. If I look at some mineral makeup companies, they provide a huge range of all hues of skin: from peach to beige, from olive to warm...

However, it is such a good thing to hear that the MA gave you samples. I usually do not like the service from MAC (they are really snooty or they try to impose weird colors on you), but your MA seemed really helpful.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:16 am      Reply with quote
londonfan wrote:
I think MAC has a limited range of suitable colors for the skin. If I look at some mineral makeup companies, they provide a huge range of all hues of skin: from peach to beige, from olive to warm...

However, it is such a good thing to hear that the MA gave you samples. I usually do not like the service from MAC (they are really snooty or they try to impose weird colors on you), but your MA seemed really helpful.

LOL, the first time getting the sample was easy, since there's a $50 minimum purchase when you make appt. for a makeover. Getting the second samples the following week was a little more difficult. Granted, they were busy [the first week after Christmas] and the girl was a little snooty but I didn't pay any mind to that. She claimed that they didn't have any sample jars left; I suggested she find something, unless they really want me to have to bring something back? Once I made it clear that I was not moving, she took about 10 minutes and finally came back with some very stingy samples.

Persistence paid off Rolling Eyes

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
I had been using the MAC select SPF 15 foundation for years- then I switched to the studio fix fluid- the studio fix fluid, give amazing coverage, but it may be break out.

I then switched to Estee Lauder dual wear- it good coverage, doesn't make me break out, but isn't a perfect match for my skin shade (it looks too pink for my yellow skin). The MAC shades match me much better.

So a couple of days ago I went into my local MAC store and decided I was going to switch back and asked about their different foundations- particulary the mineralize satin finish. The SA told me that the statin finish should NOT be used on oily skin. It is made for more drier or normal skin that needs moisture and I will get very shiny from it.
The Select SPF is for normal to combo skin and the Studio fix fluid is for oily skin.

So athena123, i can see why you are getting the oilies so soon after applying. Try the select SPF- it has moderate coverage and I found it to be a better consistency than the mineralize satin finish, also the even though the shades are the same, the texture of the select SPF blends better into the skin so you get better color matching.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi Canadian girl, thanks for the tip but after reviewing the ingredients in MAC foundations, I'll never use them on my face. I'll stick to Everyday Minerals and NCN liquid minerals instead.

cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:54 am      Reply with quote
That's the problem with unnatural light. You think you look amazing until you get outside. I end up always looking to pink. It drives me nuts!
jadkin
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Ever since I purchased a whole line of facial makeup in high school, I have been a MAC devotee (when I can afford it!). I love their AIDS awareness campaigns, the fact that they don't test on animals, and that their products are mostly oil-free and non-comedogenic/acnegenic.

I have Mineralize [i}Skin[/i]finish in Medium (the powder version). It adds a really lovely, natural "sheen" to the face. But because I have oily skin, I find that this works much better with a primer. I currently use Smashbox, but I'll be exploring other options once it runs out. I think this product is worth it.. plus it lasts quite awhile!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:23 am      Reply with quote
Ooh jadkin, I love MAC's MSF but I haven't tried any of the more natural shades that can be used in place of foundation. I do, however, have Lightscapade [limited edition, purchased from a member on another forum] and I use it as a highlighter across cheekbones. It's soo very purty, I just like to look at it sometimes with all that ooh la marbling effect Smile

mrspiggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Hey, thanks for the review, I should have read this before buying my Mineralized Satin Foundation, I am also NC30, which I, too, find it is a little too yellow for me and I get oil breakthrough after a while. I did not realized it is for Normal to Dry skin, I am combo leaning towards oily, so shine came out soon. Very Happy I need to set it with loose powder, I guessed.

But yes, it gives me shinies and a tad too yellow for me. I am confused about the NC = warm and NW = cool :S

Thanks once again for the review!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi mrspiggy, how are you? Looks like you had a similar experience as I did. It's too bad the MAC makeup artists don't know their own product as well as the knowledge ladies on this forum! When I first tried this out, I told the MA that my skin was oily but I had a preference for mineral makeup. I guess she went with my preference first and downplayed how my preference and reality may collide? I mean, I expected HER to be the expert and let me know that mineralized skin finish is better suited for combo-dry skin. Confused

TBO, I've learned not to expect too much from makeup artists as far as foundation matching as it relates to skin type or matching shade to skin tone. I've also had the impression that ingredient knowledge isn't part of their training, either. As with anything else, an educated shopper who asks questions and reads ingredient labels will be less likely to return something. One good thing I've seen in the last few years.... if the SA and MA don't know ingredients that well, at least they're less likely to "poo poo" you when you tell them that yes, talc really clogs my pores, really! Smile

So, for makeup artists, sorry if I've offended you, I'll still take your advice when it comes to great new looks in eye shadows, but for the rest of it I'll take it with a grain of salt. Or, perhaps the MA's I meet at Sephora and MAC are all new.... Wink

Andrea01
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
I find all MAC powders/ foundations give me huge clogged pores.
I do like their eyeliners & eyeshadows.

Im hooked on Fusion Beauty...Glow Fusion & the Mineral Bronzers & Poweders.
THE BEST
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |