Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
RETINOL
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dleonard
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Hello:

What is the best retinol product for wrinkles?
I use Vit C in morning and organic collegen booster at night, I wold like to start using retinol at night instead.
Please advise and thank you
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:54 am      Reply with quote
The best (in the sense of strongest and most effective) products are those containing tretinoin like Retin-a (and its cousins tazorac, differin, renova). In the US they are by prescription only; I don't know about elsewhere. Some people (like me, unfortunately)find Retin-a and such too irritating and so use less potent retinoids.

According to my dermatologist, the next strongest are based on retinaldehyde, found in Avene's Ystheal, Eluage, Diacneal, and Retrinal. Each formula is slightly different, but all are based on retinaldehyde.

Finally, there are many, many products based on retinol, the weakest of the retinoids. Some that have gotten good reviews here are by PSF, Skinceuticals, and Green Cream. Retinol isn't as bio-available to the skin as either tretinoin or retinaldehyde, so you should look for higher percentages of the active ingredient for maximum efficacy.

In my experience, the base (oil, cream, gel, alcohol) of the product also makes a difference in whether the product is right for you. Some people find alcohol bases too drying and irritating, others find cream bases too pore-clogging. You may have to experiment a bit to find the right one for you. But it is really worth it, because for many of us, retinoids really do work well.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
which brand is this? -> organic collegen booster?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:06 am      Reply with quote
it's from the vital image, I also use ceopetra cream and wow oil at night..it's a good product, all vitamins
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:13 am      Reply with quote
I have been using the Avene Ystheal+ Emulsion (Lotion) for a long time now. I really like the results. I apply it after cleansing in the evening and alternate it every other night with an AHA serum (SkinCeuticals Intense Line Defense).

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:27 am      Reply with quote
what does "skinceuticlas intense line defense" do for you?? Is this for wrinkles??
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi dleonard:

SkinCeuticals Intense Line Defense is an alphahydroxyacid serum with 12%AHA in a base of hyaluronic acid. It helps exfoliate the skin and definitely has reduced the crepeyness of my aging skin (I am 42). Although, I don't think it would get rid of deep lines or wrinkles. But definitely, keeps the skin fresh. I used to have problems with breakouts and clogged pores, but since using this and alternating at night with a Retinol (Avene Ystheal+ Lotion), it really has made a difference in my skin being more supple and less breakouts.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks I may try that............do you use this under the eyes, my problem is under the eyes, i'm 46
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have used both products under my eyes, with no problem (on different nights of course!) Do not use together.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
where do you get the Avene's product that you have mentioned.

What do you like about this product?

Thanks
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
I wish I could use retinols. Years ago I tried Retin A at the lowest dose. My skin got irritated to the extreme. About six month ago I got Protect and Restore with high retinol. I broke out with cystic acne on my chin. Thinking it was just a coincidence I tried it again. Again I broke out. Retinols have a great track record for antiaging but don't seem to agree with me. I don't care to try Retin A again. Perhaps the Protect and Restore was too rich for my skin. Think

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Winnie, have you thought about giving Eluage a try? I use it and find it very easy to use. It has anti - aged my forehead like nothing else ever has. I layer the eluage gel on top, and it works very very well to lessen the deep lines I have.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:33 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
Winnie, have you thought about giving Eluage a try? I use it and find it very easy to use. It has anti - aged my forehead like nothing else ever has. I layer the eluage gel on top, and it works very very well to lessen the deep lines I have.

I never heard of Eluage. Thank you catski. I will google it. Smile

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi Winnie, Eluage is one of Avene's three European formulations of retinaldehyde. It differs from Ystheal (which comes in a creamy base and a slightly less creamy "lotion" base) in that it has hydrauranic acid in it as well, which is supposed to boost penetration. The third of the Avene Euro formulas is Diacneal, which is designed for acne prone skin and has glycolic acid added to the retinaldehyde. I think people who want an AHA in addition to the retinoid do use it for anti-aging, though I think for me it might be over the top. In comparison to other retinoid products, though, I think Avene's products are very gentle on the skin considering their effectiveness. My derm says she has never had a patient who couldn't tolerate them.

By the way, if you live in the US you may find Avene's Retrinal easier to come by. Same retinaldehyde, in three different strengths, so you can experiment with a lower level of retinoid and work your way up. I plan to switch to Retrinal once I'm finished with my Euro versions (down to the next to the last one here, unless I can persuade my boss to send me back to Europe soon...)
carforum
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
I love Avene Ystheal+ too!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
If I use skinceuticals intense line defense, do I still exfoliate, or is this enought exfoliation, also do I moisturize on top of it?
thanks
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:24 am      Reply with quote
I use the Intense Line Defense every other night and still exfoliate once a week with either an at-home microdermabrasion scrub (like Epidermx II) or an at-home peel (like Juice Beauty's Green Apple Peel).

Regarding Avenue Ystheal+ Emulsion (Lotion), it can be purchased in the USA at CVS Pharmacy for $30.00. Make sure you check the bottom of the box for the expiration date, I have purchased this product from CVS previously and they sold me one that was expired by almost 1 year!

I should add that I have used 1 other retinol which I had problems with, it was too strong and irritating for my skin, it was the SkinCeuticals Retinol 0.5 (which is their weaker formula compared to the 1.0 they also have).

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Roc has a retinol cream for face and one for eyes, would that be strong enough? I just purchase an organic scrub from vital image to be used once per week. I can't wait to get it.

thanks Wink
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:10 am      Reply with quote
I am not familiar with ROC products although I have seen them at my local convenience stores. If they don't state the amount of Retinol, I would think it would not be strong enough to be beneficial to your skin. I did a search on the internet and they do not state the strengeth of the retinol. You really have to be careful with products that state they have Retinol, AHA or Vit. C in them. I lot of it is for "label appeal" only, and all they do is put in such a small amount just in order for it to be able to be printed on their label, but not enough to do the skin any good.

5% products discount

Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:16 am      Reply with quote
My mum use ROC Retion-A. I am wondering if it is too early for me (I'm 31) to use Retion product?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:27 am      Reply with quote
showshow wrote:
My mum use ROC Retion-A. I am wondering if it is too early for me (I'm 31) to use Retion product?

I think it's not too early at all. At the age of late twenties/early thirties most of us start to notice the first fine lines. It's also easier to prevent signs of aging than repairing the skin damage. If I were you, I would have incorporated a retinol or retinoid product in my routine as soon as possible. Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:38 am      Reply with quote
showshow wrote:

I am now 28 and using Avenue Ystheal+ too with no problem! But I always use this product continuously 3 months and then stop for 1 or 2 months!

Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |