Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

To Dye or Not To Dye?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:53 am      Reply with quote
I can't decide. To Dye my hair or let it go white. I'm 50 years old. Which means I'm not fooling anyone with my "youthful appearance". Laughing I really am tired of getting bad dye jobs, roots and dry hair. My girlfriends all say "don't do it" like I'd be betraying the sisterhood of secret hair dying or something! My husband says I'd look older but it's up to me and it wouldn't bother him.(Now that sounds passive aggressive). Is anyone out there taking the plunge? My one fear is that I'd look really washed out.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:01 am      Reply with quote
My mom is in her sixties and she's starting to go white, and for the past few years I've kept encouraging her to let her natural color grow in. She kept dyeing it, but the dye color wasn't really what her natural pre-graying color would be, and I just thought it looked a bit off. But I tend to be of the opinion that everyone looks better with their natural color.

Anyway, she finally started leaving it alone and letting the white grow in, and I personally think it looks really nice. But then again, I agree that it could "age" you appearance-wise, if you go from being 100% non-white to 100% white rapidly -- mostly because of the stark difference. Because of her coloring, it looks sort of like blondish highlights until you look really close, but that's not the case for everyone, I know.

Personally, I think silvery-white hair and salt-and-pepper hair is just so beautiful. But then, gray is one of my favorite colors, and I just think it looks very regal and ethereal and lovely to have gray hair -- like you're wise and command a certain authority that you can't get away with when you're a young'in. I realize that may not help much coming from a 26-year-old, but I truly think white and gray hair can look exceptionally beautiful, regardless of whether or not it "ages" you.

I also think it can sometimes be the most flattering thing to just not worry about fighting your age. (For example, I have some pals in their 30s and 40s who try to pull of outfits that I feel I'M too old for at 26 -- super-short skirts and glitzy young girl trends -- I just think it's more flattering to resign yourself to aging naturally, within reason. I know there's a whole range of opinions on what's age-appropriate for every given age range, but I guess I feel like I'm kidding myself if I try to don the kinds of outfits (super short/tight/glitzy clubbing tops, etc.) that I wore when I was 18 and whatnot.

K, this got WAY longer and more philosophical than I meant, hahaha. I bet you look stunning with white hair, but if you're not ready for the plunge, maybe you could try doing semi-permanent color that fades, and letting it fade out slowly? That might minimize the obvious roots and make the transition less difficult for you. Good luck and be proud of the look you decide on no matter what it is!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you ginnieliz. Your perspective helps. My Mom had beautiful white hair and she always looked great. I like the idea of a semi permanent dye. I guess I'll try it. I can always colour it if I change my mind.
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:00 am      Reply with quote
Go with a semi permanent in order to let it grow out without looking to stark a contrast. Alternatively you could try a couple of herbal ways of darkening your hair, namely using either strong rosemary or sage (or both) tea as a hair rinse after washing. These only work with brown hair.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Glad I could help! I'm sort of eagerly looking forward to having white hair someday. And I will never, EVER cut it short and do the old-lady-rollers style. White/gray hair is WAY too chic to waste on such an overdone look! I'll be sporting sharp angled bobs and fun layers and updos until I leave this world.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
karenbrown
5% products discount

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:19 am      Reply with quote
What colour is your hair if youdon't dye it? White, dark grey or light grey it makes a difference.
White is quite a cool colour or silver. What's the point in all those great products out there if you don't use them. Go for a natural colour with lots of lights in it to make it look interesting. Also find a great colourist they are out there ask around.

Mine would be dark grey and would look awful I'm 45 next week. I would never go grey I'll keep dying it till I die! Very Happy
Sorry if that's not the answer you want.
Karen
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |