Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Clarisonic usage tips
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to put together a thread for new Clarisonic users to refer to and for veterans to share any tips they have learned along the way. Feel free to add anything you think is relevant. Here are mine:

Charging:

-Before using it for the first time, make sure to charge it for 24 hours or until the green light stops flashing. If you fail to do this (like I did with my first one) you will damage the battery and the device will never work properly. Found that out the hard way!

-I place mine back in the cradle after every use. Not only does this keep it from getting knocked around (and used as a phone by my 2yr old, bristles to the ear of course!) but, it keeps a full charge for every use. **I'm concerned that keeping it on the cradle might shorten the battery life over time so I'm emailing the the company to check on this, will update when I get an answer.

Keeping the Clarisonic unit clean:

-After I use it I pour some rubbing alcohol over the brush (after I have quickly hand washed it) to kill anything that is lurking around and generally sanitize it. I let the alcohol sit for maybe 30 seconds or longer then rinse with hot water. I don't think it matters if you do this before or after you use it, however, I prefer after so I don't have to smell the alcohol or have it sit on my face.

-Once a week or so I wipe off the hand unit and charging cradle with some sort of mild anti-bacterial cleaner. As I said earlier I like to store it in the charger instead of the shower to prevent soap scum or hard water build up. Yes, I'm picky that way!

Cleaning your face:

-I never use my Clarisonic to remove full MU. I think that it works better to deep clean pores when you start on a semi-clean face. Using a MU remover first gives the best result IMO, and I think it keeps the brush from spreading bacteria as well. I currently use a cold cream type MU remover my MU, I have used a cleansing oil with success too.

-There is no need to apply pressure when cleansing, let the rotating brush and sonic waves do the work for you, moving in small alternating circles works really well for me.

-Starting on one of my cheeks works best that way I don't have excess water from the brush running into/stinging my eyes. I work one cheek/temple/upper neck, the repeat on the other side when my T-timer beeps. Next, I move on to my chin/nose and finally my forehead. I use the long cycle with the T-time.

-When I'm using it in the shower for my face and decolletage, I do my face first the my chest area. There may be no fact behind this but I feel like it keeps me from spreading bacteria from my chest to face. If you don't have issues with breakouts you can probably disregard this.

Misc:

-I generally don't share brush heads with anyone, however, I have let a few girlfriends try the unit out before taking the plunge. I just follow with a thorough cleaning of the hand unit and brush head, see above.

-I use the normal head for my decolletage, the sensitive for face, except when I'm PMSing or on my period as my skin is more sensitive so I switch to the delicate. They all do an equally good job of cleaning, it seems the difference is how much facial stimulation you want or can handle on your face.

-I think that the cleanser you choose to use is up to the individual, but some are easier to work with. First, never use a cleanser that has beads, shells or anything else added to exfoliate. This is discouraged by Clarisonic and could potentially damage the unit. A non-foaming cleanser works best but not one like a cold cream or really oily, this will make the bristles stick together and possible clog the head (look for one that is neither too runny nor too thick). The cleanser it comes with, while it gets bad comments on MUA, is really pretty decent. Its not very frilly but it does get the job done with out dryness or irritation. Handy to keep around in a pinch or at least to understand the recommended consistency for a cleanser.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the usage guide. I'm getting more and more tempted.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm...no oily stuff. Well there goes my idea of using it to massage my face while doing the OCM.

*shutting off the mad scientist in me*
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
BumbleB wrote:
Hmm...no oily stuff. Well there goes my idea of using it to massage my face while doing the OCM.

*shutting off the mad scientist in me*

I totally had that thought too, but I guess we'll have to kiss that one good-bye! I appreciate all these tips, vonstella. I think I'm going to take the plunge when I get a new job. Very Happy For, now, I'll just dream.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
I have used the Clarisonic with Burt's Bee orange oil cleanser and it's worked fine. Just rinse the brush well afterward with soap and water.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Great post!

Just thought I would add that I spoke with Clarisonic awhile back about using alcohol on the brushes and they told me not to use it as it could prematurely degrade the bristles, even with short-term contact. I was bummed because I would like some way to keep the bristles germ-free.......
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
brenpatsa wrote:
Great post!

Just thought I would add that I spoke with Clarisonic awhile back about using alcohol on the brushes and they told me not to use it as it could prematurely degrade the bristles, even with short-term contact. I was bummed because I would like some way to keep the bristles germ-free.......

I always used alcohol to sanitize my skin care tools, but a good alternative is peroxide which is much less harsh and 100% effective.

Kassy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
cathy_jean
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
brenpatsa wrote:
Great post!

I always used alcohol to sanitize my skin care tools, but a good alternative is peroxide which is much less harsh and 100% effective.

Kassy

I rinse mine with pexiode, and I've had good luck so far.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

Kassy

Good idea, Kassy. I use alcohol to sanitize all of my "hard" skin care tools but I was afraid to use it on the Sonicare soft bristles after my phone call with them; I like the idea of the more gentle peroxide. Thanks for sharing your idea!
Do you know if the peroxide kill germs on the spot or whether it has to stay on the bristles for a certain amount of time?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
It kills germs on the spot when used full strength. Just leave it on a minute or so, then rinse thoroughly.

Kassy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:29 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, so much for this thread Vonstella, esp the tip about charging I don't have mine yet but would probably not have given it the full 24 hours it needed to charge up ... I would have been way to excited to try it, but know I know!

Do you think it would it be possible to use baby sterilising fluid to clean the brushes on the Clarisonic?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
brenpatsa wrote:
Great post!

Kassy

Great idea. I havent had any problems with my brushes but I will give the peroxide a go!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:14 am      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
I have used the Clarisonic with Burt's Bee orange oil cleanser and it's worked fine. Just rinse the brush well afterward with soap and water.

The BB's is water soluble though. I mean for DYI OCM that needs to be wiped off.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:16 am      Reply with quote
P.S. I hope that no one assumes Im being a know it all with this thread, just wanted to share what I "know" and hope others do the same.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:55 am      Reply with quote
I think we're all pretty grateful for your input -- I know I am!

Good to know about peroxide, too -- I'm much more comfortable using that than alcohol. And the bonus is that it gets the gunk out of my bathroom sink at the same time. Laughing

I'm really glad about the Burt's Bees, too, because that's my standard cleanser and I'd rather not switch. It's not my HG, though, it's just the best formulation I've found that I consistently repurchase. I'm looking forward to checking out the consistency of the Clarisonic cleanser to get an idea of what I should try to emulate.

God, I'm SO impatient now! I went to Nordstrom and TWO Sephoras this week and asked to see a tester Clarisonic, and NOBODY could find their tester brush -- because employees had been taking it home to use! Laughing I just wanted to see a physical version of what I'd be paying for. Apparently it was on Oprah so all of a sudden they started all selling out everywhere -- combine that with the recall, and they're out of stock on Sephora online, and everywhere I went in person. You actually have to put down money for a pre-order!

I'm telling you, first paycheck...

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Ambien
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the informative review vonstella!

I had been struggling with that particular problem with cleanser in my eyes using the standard method recommended by clarisonic. Your sequence makes so much more sense! Wonder why I did not think of it myself.. Rolling Eyes

Instead I had resorted to squinting to have less soap in eyes while seeing what I am doing.. Embarassed

I am not familiar with peroxide. Is there a standard type/ brand that's better/ safer for cleaning cosmetics?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Ambien wrote:

I am not familiar with peroxide. Is there a standard type/ brand that's better/ safer for cleaning cosmetics?

Any drugstore brand will do, its actually hydrogen peroxide you are looking for. Just remember to rinse REALLY well if you are sanitizing before cleansing, don't want to end up with orange eyebrows!
Ambien
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
Ambien wrote:

Any drugstore brand will do, its actually hydrogen peroxide you are looking for. Just remember to rinse REALLY well if you are sanitizing before cleansing, don't want to end up with orange eyebrows!

Lol, appreciate the heads up! Orange not a good color for brows anytime. Wink
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
id thought that my clarisonic brush would be ok because i always use it with an antibacterial cleanser (dermalogica anti-bac) but this thread has made me paranoid so i went to pick up some hydrogen peroxide today @_@;;;
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
amami aya wrote:
id thought that my clarisonic brush would be ok because i always use it with an antibacterial cleanser (dermalogica anti-bac) but this thread has made me paranoid so i went to pick up some hydrogen peroxide today @_@;;;

Oh, no need to be paranoid. I have had the Clarisonic for over a year and haven't attributed any problems to germ "build up". Honestly, I just assumed that as long as the bristles dried out completely between uses (which they easily do), that I was safe. Using the peroxide is just a nice insurance, in my mind so I bought some too today!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:46 am      Reply with quote
brenpatsa wrote:
amami aya wrote:

Oh, no need to be paranoid. I have had the Clarisonic for over a year and haven't attributed any problems to germ "build up". Honestly, I just assumed that as long as the bristles dried out completely between uses (which they easily do), that I was safe. Using the peroxide is just a nice insurance, in my mind so I bought some too today!

Exactly! Im not trying to scare anyone! Very Happy
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
VS, you inspired me -- I bought my Clarisonic today! And thanks to you, I'm charging it for a good full 24 hours -- they don't make that as obvious as they could in the packaging materials and instruction manual, so I'm glad I read this first!

vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:38 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
VS, you inspired me -- I bought my Clarisonic today! And thanks to you, I'm charging it for a good full 24 hours -- they don't make that as obvious as they could in the packaging materials and instruction manual, so I'm glad I read this first!

Right!? I ruined the battery in my first one that way, I had to exchange it! Embarassed

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Totally. I mean, I guess I'm used to being treated like a dumbass consumer, because I absolutely expect a giant red WARNING -- BEFORE YOU USE YOUR CLARISONIC... sticker. The little "First-time Clarisonic Use Basics" card they include that's separate from the user's manual doesn't make any mention of charging. And you have to get several pages into the manual before they give it just a passing mention. I'm so glad you saved me the trouble of ruining my first one!

I'm still kinda iffy about the device -- used it for the first time last night and was just kind of, well, tickled. Smile But I'm going to go use it again right now so here goes!

ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
'Kay, back from my second Clarisonic session ever. I feel like the default settings are way too short -- I want to buzz away at my skin for, like, half an hour! Laughing

Vonstella, did you ever hear back from Phillips about whether or not it damages the battery to keep your device in the cradle? I'm doing like you and storing mine in the charger, but I want to make sure I'm not running it down over time.

System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |