Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Calling women over 45-makeup tips thatmake you look younger?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:11 am      Reply with quote
I would like to know what you do to try to make yourself look younger with makeup. I think makeup many times make women look older...especially when they put on heavy eye liner and red lipstick!What do you do? I for one am very careful with foundation because it can make older women look older.I dont put it all over my face just where I need it and just a touch of it.I like alima mineral powder,also philosophy the supernatural,flawless poreless tinted spf gives a light matte look. I dont wear much eye makeup at all,and my lip color is natural with a little gloss.very careful with blush too.Would like to know your tips!
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Lauren Hutton's Face Disc hands down. Very Happy scalawaggirl put together an awesome demo for us. Unfortunately, we can no longer access it.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3040&highlight=lauren+hutton

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:23 am      Reply with quote
I thought I saw Lauren Hutton's products for sale here on EDS. I'd like to try out her disk and plan to purchase as soon as I use up some my regular makeup. Now I can't find it. Did EDS ever have it for sale? Or is it just my imagination?

Winnie wrote:
Lauren Hutton's Face Disc hands down. Very Happy scalawaggirl put together an awesome demo for us. Unfortunately, we can no longer access it.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3040&highlight=lauren+hutton

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:05 am      Reply with quote
NCN liquid minerals. I have been true to Chanel foundation or Trish McEvoy tinted moisturizer for years--trying several mineral foundations but ultimately giving up on mmu because they only accentuated fine lines and wrinkles. THEN, I received a sample of NCN's liquid minerals. WOW! It looks great going on--soft and natural. I have found it looks even better a couple of hours later. My skin looks soft, natural and almost luminous. I don't normally recommend products, but this one is a winner. I also second Lauren Hutton--to a degree. I don't like all of the cream concealers, but I love the powder blush and contour. The blush is very soft and natural. I use both products instead of eyshadow for a natural effect, too.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I was thinking of starting a thread for women over 45, as there is such an active thread for the 55-plus members, which is really very useful, I pop in there and see it is a real resource.

Oftentimes recommendations for make up and skin care on EDS isnt relevant to me, because I'm over 45, so I'm glad we have an over 45 thread!

I really rely on tinting my eyelashes and wearing ardells eyelash conditioner instead of using mascara, for daytime make up. It looks glossy and natural and healthy. I also use a yellow - toned eyeshadow often, to lighten my lid area.

Lately I've come to rely on finishing powders to finish me off with a bit of glow and extra soft colour - currently I'm using 'date bait' by Silk Naturals, which is a wonderful soft pinky - bronze powder, very flattering.

I've really had to consciously overhaul my approach to make up, as when I was younger I used to go for the pale face and bright lips look, which nowadays is just too harsh for me.

I've found that I can still get a 'stylish' make up by using pale but definite eyecolour, and, equally, a clear and confident blush colour - nothing murky.

I only got to this place, by studying Kevyn Aucoin books and experimenting with different looks.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:05 am      Reply with quote
You don't sell this no more??? I would like to try that!

="Winnie"]Lauren Hutton's Face Disc hands down. Very Happy scalawaggirl put together an awesome demo for us. Unfortunately, we can no longer access it.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3040&highlight=lauren+hutton[/quote]
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:20 am      Reply with quote
I do more lurking here than posting but I would love to see an over 45 thread, even if I am under 45. When I am reading a post I always wonder if I am reading about something that would be best for a 20 or 30 yrs old. Maybe would could keep this thread going.
Lou
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:24 am      Reply with quote
OH..and as far as makeup is concerned..I try to keep it simple..Over done makeup just make me look old..I think lip gloss make me look younger.
Very Happy
Lou
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
What a great thread! Here's my 2 cents:
I like to use a little highlighter at the inside and outside corners of my eyes and bring the outside corner up in a little "wing" toward the outer ends of my eyebrows to lift the eyes. Be sure to blendblendblend!
Forget the highlighter on the browbone - too Drag Queen. A light peach or lemon matte shadow works better.
Line the upper lids very close into the lash line, but not the bottom lids. Curl those lashes and use black, not brown, mascara. Brown makes us look tired.
Lose the lipliner!
Lots of sunscreen!
Smile a lot! voila! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
A light peach or lemon matte shadow works better.
Very Happy

If anyone has any rec's for a nice eyeshadow duo with these colours in, I'd be really grateful.

I'm really into the eyeliner close to the lashes, and these colours fawnie mentions.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
You don't sell this no more??? I would like to try that!

="Winnie"]Lauren Hutton's Face Disc hands down. Very Happy scalawaggirl put together an awesome demo for us. Unfortunately, we can no longer access it.

[/quote]

EDS never sold the Face Disc. You need to go towww.laurenhutton.com Smile

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
For the Lauren Hutton face disc and products, Winnie's right.

Go towww.laurenhutton.com
or HSN (in the US): http://beauty.hsn.com/lauren-hutton-makeup_c-bs0001_a-138_xc.aspx

I mention HSN because sometimes they have good deals. Plus, often you can get HSN coupon codes (for example for new HSN customers, etc.) HSN also has customer reviews of products. I think HSN also have a Beauty Message Board on their site where customers can post questions and respond to questions about products. I know QVC does.

On Lauren's site, sign up for her email updates she has specials, coupons, etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE that face disc!I have 2. You can sometimes buy it for half off for $50 on ebay ,the whole set even with the brushes!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
I just want to jump in here and give some advice to the 45ish group..Cause I've been there done that, and if I could go back in time 11+ years, I'd do this::::::::

1.) sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen, every single day of my life.

2.) less is more with makeup..after a certain age, it only accentuates the negative.. Keep it simple, light foundation, lipstick, mascara....that's really all anybody needs. (I hardly ever wore makeup, and think it's part of the reason my skin is still pretty nice.)

3.) have a simple routine that is manageable for your busy lifestyle;

a.) start the day with a nice C serum, wait 10 minutes, and apply a sunscreen and simple makeup.

b.) in the evening, use a nice exfoliating cleanser, i.e. alpha hydrox foaming cleanser. Always use a nice clean face cloth, it's a great natural exfoliator used morning and evening..

c.) apply a nice good quality serum/lotion or cream (depending on your skin condition)..

Another thing to keep in mind is to never apply your night creams/lotions/serums immediately before going to bed....do it earlier in the evening, so it's all absorbed before nitey-nite.....then just before bed, splash some nice cold water on your face. (Believe me here, the older you get, the puffier you will be, if you apply your creams just before bedtime.)

Thanks for hearing me out....... Smile

Kassy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:52 am      Reply with quote
I bought this fantastic and cheap brow powder from either walmart or target its called Brow defining powder,mink brown by AII. It is about 2 or 3 dollars.It was too dark for brows so I use it for eyeliner,I dip a thin slanted shadow brush in water and dip in the shadow,test it on hand to get the right consistency,then I press it into the base of the upper lashes,not on top of lashes.It opens up the eye yet you dont look like you are wearing liner.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:34 am      Reply with quote
You might have something there. I often wait till just before bed to remove makeup and put on my night stuff, and I look puffy the next morning. When I skip the night stuff, I don't look puffy, but I do look wrinkly/dry. I'll make an effort to do it sooner to see if that helps. Thanks.

Kassy_A wrote:
... Another thing to keep in mind is to never apply your night creams/lotions/serums immediately before going to bed....do it earlier in the evening, so it's all absorbed before nitey-nite.....then just before bed, splash some nice cold water on your face. (Believe me here, the older you get, the puffier you will be, if you apply your creams just before bedtime.)
Kassy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

.....then just before bed, splash some nice cold water on your face. (Believe me here, the older you get, the puffier you will be, if you apply your creams just before bedtime.)

Kassy

Hi Kassy - thanks for sharing all your advice (and everyone else in this thread too; I'll be 45 next year so this topic is of great interest to me!).

My one question to you, Kassy: do you really splash cold water on your face before bed? If i did that, it would dry my face out like a prune. I can spray a light mist of water over my face when I've got makeup on and it'll hydrate my skin, but once my face is clean, water seems to dry and tighten my skin. Nevertheless, I'm interested to read your suggestion - does it in some way help "set" the moisturizer?

My tips:

I like to wear makeup and the 'natural' look doesn't really suit me, but I will agree with the 'less is more' advice for our age group. As I do need to wear a fair bit of concealer under my eyes (my "problem" area - not with wrinkles, but hereditary dark circles), I will touch this area up occasionally throughout the day with a moisturising gel and then dab a bit more concealer over it - as long as I do this, I can convince myself that I don't yet look a day over 38 (!!!) but, if I don't do it, then the concealer will inevitably crease a bit during the day and make me look older.

No lipliner, but any lip colour really needs to be applied carefully with a lip brush.

Lots of water + sleep + no smoking + exercise + eat well + and sunscreen/no sun on the face = better than all the products/makeup tips put together.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
I just got a book by Charla Krupp How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better from amazon. It has good reviews on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Look-Old-Effortless/dp/0446581143/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202844869&sr=1-1

the book covers various aspects besides makeup. Got the book a couple days ago, just glanced at the book so far. One advice for lipstick stuck in my mind:

DO NOT wear dark lipstick, it makes one look older. There were pictures of the same woman with dark lipstick, and with light pink lipstick. Light lipstick looked so much better!!!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
["My one question to you, Kassy: do you really splash cold water on your face before bed? If i did that, it would dry my face out like a prune.."]

Yes graceless_lady, I do indeed splash cold water on my face before bed......But keep in mind, that I've had my night cream on several hours already at that point.

Distilled water in a spritzer bottle is also a favorite of mine. I often spray my face and neck throughout the day with it. You could try this, rather than tap water.....Could be your tap water is hard with lots of bad stuff in it.

Kassy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
graceless_lady wrote:
[Lots of water + sleep + no smoking + exercise + eat well + and sunscreen/no sun on the face = better than all the products/makeup tips put together.

Boy, have you got that right!
If only we knew then, what we know now.....I wish I could take back all of the deep dark tans I had in my lifetime.. Cool

Kassy

lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree wearing red lipstick makes you look older! Red lipstick, black eyeliner and black hair....scary on an older woman....everything should go lighter, your lipstick, haircolor....I even bleached my black eyebrows because I felt they were too dark and harsh looking(thats tricky because they can turn yellow if you over bleach!)
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:43 am      Reply with quote
For black eyebrows(read this somewhere long ago) use a brown hair color...I buy any medium brown hair dye. I mix a teaspoon (in a small cup) of each bottle in the box. (don't mix whole bottles)I apply it to my eyebrows with a q-tip. let it sit for 20 minutes then wipe off. My eyebrows always turn out great..never yellow..dye lasts forever...
cheap and so easy..
Lou Smile
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
I didnt know you can save hair dye! I touch up my roots every 6 days and was throwing away most of it,I will try to keep in separate containers to save $$$$
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Choose one area to focus on. don't do strong eyes lips and cheeks or it looks drag-queen-ish. Peachy lipgloss works wonders. Gel eyeliner works better than liquid and frget super frosty anything--makes lines stand out.

and....

SUNSCREEN!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I think the worst thing you can do over 40 is use a blush that is too dark. I've found as I get older many blushes make the lines under my eyes more apparent and make me look tired.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |