Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

help with skincare and wrinkles please
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
salster68
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:20 am      Reply with quote
hi

i am 36 years old but feel i look a lot older. my skin is quite sundamaged from my youth and i also suffered with anorexia from the age of 17 up until a few years ago. i also smoke and am trying to stop this awful habit. i havent done myself any favours with the way i have neglected myself and now my skin is really suffering.

i have a couple of lines between my eyebrows and crows feet at the corners of my eyes. the skin underneath my eyes looks pretty liney too and a bit saggy. i also have a few lines around my mouth and i am noticing that my top lid is starting to look a bit droopy. all is not good. what i am looking for is a skin care routine to follow together with some treatment creams to hopefully reduce these lines which i have already and prevent new ones forming and to get my skin looking more radient and youthful - i hope this is possible. i would say my skin is more on the dry side - maybe dehydrated at times. i dont really have sensitive skin or break out in spots very often. i am getting so confused as what to buy as i keep reading about so many things and i have bought crams over and over which have just cost me a lot of money and have not improved my skin. my main concern is my eye area as this is looking pretty awful. but i do need to take good care of my whole skin.

i look forward to hearing from you all.

many many thanks

sally

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Sorry i forgot to mention that my skin does not appear to be very elastic and i am looking at something to help regain this.

also does anyone have any informatin on nutrition that will help my skin from the inside or any links that i could look at

thanks

sally

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:58 am      Reply with quote
ooops back again.

one other question i did have. some of the products i have read about say you can apply all over the face even the eye area. i thought this was not good because the skin around the eye area is so much thinner than the rest of the face. should i avoid any product that says i can use all over the face?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Firstly, drink loads of water, take vit c while you are still smoking and eat lots of fruit, veg and salmon! A good sunscreen is essential, I am looking at buying one by Shiseido (Anessa spf 43) and will post a review once I have tried it. You should get some good advice here, lots of people with lots of knowledge!
Danielle Amber
5% products discount

Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Sally...

After I just replied to your email to me I found your question here too so I thought I'd post my answer here to so that everyone can get the benefit of info...

Hi Sally,

Well the epidermx and camellia oil combo (I got mine onwww. GetSkinAppeal.com ) will certainly help. It will begin to undue the sun damage and reveal younger layers underneath. You've got to get rid of that older dead outer layer, because as we age the skin's natural sloughing off process gets slower and slower. If we speed it up by removing the top layers the fresh new skin grows back more quickly. And the camellia is a great skin "food"...

Also, I would suggest LOTS and LOTS of filtered water (at LEAST 8 large glasses a day) and focusing on proper nutrition. Without water a grape is a raisin...you get the point. And without proper nutrients to build healthy new skin, your skin cannot regenerate as fast. I was vegetarian for 10 years and that alone messed up my balance (hormonal and blood sugar levels). The thing is that imbalances show up on our skin first and fore most, I believe it's natures way of letting us know "Hey, look! Something's not quite right in here!" But the good news is you can definitely heal yourself. I highly suggest reading Dr. Perricone's The wrinkle cure.

He is a well known dermatologist focusing on the importance of health through proper diet and nutrition...Salmon, Raw Almonds, Advocados, Broccoli, Spinach, Red Bell Peppers...All amazing skin food...If you are avoiding fat, (eating non fat) that is one of the single most damaging things you can do to yourself. But there are definitely good fats and bad fats. If you read the book you'll find out why. I tried researching him on the internet rather than buying the book, but decided to just go ahead and buy it because it's much more thorough and is full of yummy recipes too. Maybe amazon.com has a cheap copy...

Especially if you are going to continue to smoke, you have to replenish your body with some of the nutrients you are robbing from it by smoking. You probably crave it in part because it 'keeps you going' but if you start eating right, you may find so much extra energy, that it becomes much easier to quit...

The Epidermx, Camellia oil, and new adherence to nutrition, has made a REMARKABLE difference in my skin and has even smoothed out acne scars, shrunk pores, made my oily skin more normal and my dry skin more hydrated...it takes a bit of effort but is well worth it! For the first time for as long as I can remember, I am GLOWING!

Furthermore, the skin is just ONE organ, I can tell by my constant supply of energy and new ability to focus, that this is helping my overall health in astounding ways.

Hope this helps - Be well and keep smiling!

Cheers!
Danielle Very Happy
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:07 am      Reply with quote
firstly I would like to say well done to you for overcomming the anorexia. Thats no easy feat.
Danielle has given you some really good advice.
I would also suggest you use a product with 10% argeriline in ie: relaxaline and I have been using Esthers secret masque which is brilliant. The argeriline in these products have noticibly diminished 3 deep lines between my eyebrows and my crowsfeet have virtually dissapeared and everyone on this sight would recommend using vit c on skin especially if you are a smoker which I am. Hope this helps.
Lori
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with all of the above, but would also recommend a vitamin C serum. My skin has improved on end since using skinceuticles C 20%, even the smoking lines around my mouth have diminished. If you can't stop smoking (or don't want to) , try cutting down, and massaging your face a little when applying your stuff. Not smoking will defo improve your skin, but you also have to consider quality of life and I sounds like you have had enough life changing stuff to be going on with, so smoking for another yr or so, will probably not be any more detrimental than having smoked so far. If you have an issue with food, maybe one way to look at it is not as gaining weight, but as gaining lovely skin, so maybe shifting your focus may be helpful. Any way hope that helps,let us know what you are gonna buy ( to feed all our vicarious addictive/compulsive impulses!)
Liz xx Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Salster68

I am happy for you, that you are out of the woods and are taking positive steps to improve your skin and general well-being.

I agree with all the advice given so far about water, diet and Vit C, the argireline.

Presuming that you have already a good basic skin care regime in place, I think that you may need a good exfoliator to jump start your skin. Dermalogica's Microexfoliant is a good choice (for physical exfoliation). I also think Clarin's Doux Peeling is excellent as you literally rub off the top layer of dead skin cells. Sometimes, you need to shed off the top layer to enable the treatment serums to work better. Exfoliation also enhances cell renewal which is necessary for more radiant skin. My experience with Cellex C's Smooth Skin Complex for Dry Skin was very good as it has AHAs and BHAs which also help rid of the top layer of dead skin.

As for the eye area, I like Cellcosmet's eyecream, Juvena's Juvelia Eye Lift. My latest trial is Alphaderma DE (which seems pretty good - I am into my 10th day - so will comment later). I also use Skinceutical's Intense Line Defense for my undereye area, crow feet, frown lines and smile lines with reasonable results.

HTDNCY (Hope this did not confuse you) Smile
Jenny

After exfoliation, the rest of the treatments like Vit C should work more effectively.

HTH
Jenny
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Congrats on your current success and the comittment to yourself & your health. You have gotten lots of great advice here so far. I am a dietitian so I thought I would add a few more pointers in terms of nutrition.

While the Perricone diet does offer some excellent advice, I try not to choose one eating style over another. We need healthy nutrition from all whole foods. Salmon is excellent for the skin, as well as any other oily fish. Flax seed meal & oil as well as Evening Primose & Borage can be taken in capsule form to ensure your body is getting Omega 3, 6 & 9 vital for healthy skin and all internal body organs. Oilve oil is the only oil to have in your kitchen, avoid deep fried foods. Also, overprocessed and refined sugars like sweets, cakes, pies, candy etc.
Antioxidents from fruits & vegetables support against free radical damage within the body. If eating meat, choose only lean cuts. Whole grains should include brown rice, barley, buckwheat, oats, cous cous & quiona. Beans, peas and lentils also provide fiber & protein. Along with a good oils supplement, you should add a multi vitamin & mineral tablet.

For me, I have always looked at a food, and then think about what it would do for my body and once inside my body. This really works and can help deter you from junk food.
Like, next time you see a plate of french fries, dripping with saturaed fat, think about the effect that will have on your insides and your skin. If you want to be healthy on the inside (and outside), you have to give your body healthy fuel. A bowl of fresh, juicy fruit or veggies is so much more appealing to me. I could go a year without junk and never crave or miss it.

Second, I can imagine how hard it must be to quite smoking. But the thing here is that better late than never. Don't beat yourself over the years you did smoke, but look forward to the time you will finally be finished it. Then you can spend the money you paid for cigarettes on beauty products!!!! There are a few homeopathic remedies available to help with smoking cravings and withdrawls.CHeck with your local health food store, they are inexpensive and they work.

Good Luck to you. If you have any other nutrition questions, please feel free to PM me.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Miss Shoes wrote:
better late than never. Don't beat yourself over the years you did smoke, but look forward to the time you will finally be finished it. Then you can spend the money you paid for cigarettes on beauty products!!!!

that worked for me! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Sally....

You've been given some excellent advice. I echo the recommendations on Argireline, a sloughing masque and the water!

I also agree, don't beat yourself up about smoking, but it will dehydrate the body and deplete certain vitamins, so you just have to be aware of that.

Here's a story: When I went into menopause, my hair and my skin took a definite downturn. Most people assume that it's because of your lack of estrogen at that time and that's a part of it. However, I didn't use estrogen and completely turned around the condition of my hair and skin by drinking more water. AT that time, I drank about one glass of water a day and didn't like the taste. I drank tea most of the time and if I drank water, I had to put lemon or lime in it. I also drank sodas, which can be very harmful.

Long story, but I began to treat my water with minerals and began to like the taste very much. The minerals also changed the molecular structure of the chlorine and I suspect that's why I liked the taste better. When I began to drink at least a quart of water a day (and I didn't have to force it), my skin and hair improved tremendously and today (8 years later) I'd say my skin is in as good condition as before menopause and my hair is in better condition!

So, continue with your Argireline products, your sloughing masque and drink more water!!!

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi to everyone

I just want to thank you all so much for your advice. i have found it all really useful. at the moment i am using the Esthers Secret Masque and Serum but was just a little worried about applying the same product to face and eye area. Judy has assured me this is ok so i am still going to persevere with this and try an eye cream too. im also trying to drink more water (little hard as i find water a bit yuk). i am very bad for drinking fluids throughtout the day(i think i was a camel in my previous life). i am trying to eat well and healthy too and am looking at taking some vitiamin supplements to help me. at the moment i am taking Selmium ACE, Calcium with Vitamin D (we have osteoarthiritis in my family and with my eating disorder i have put myself in the high risk category) and Evening Primrose Oil - does anyone think i should be taking anything else. regarding the smoking - uummm unfortuantely i havent stopped but have not been smoking very much the last few days (about 5 at the max)

anyway thank you all for you help and encouragement. no doubt i will be back with some more questions Smile

wishing you all a very good day
Kindest wishes

Sally

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Proper nutrition and hydration is a great start! Proteins, no white flour/sugar/starches. I take a supplement called Udo's oil that helps the skin and mix it with unfiltered grape juice. This would help your skin.

I also use and distribute Epidermx and it has helped my dehydrated skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Just reading Judy's message, if you hate the chlorine in your water, just leave it stand for 10 mins. It's a disolved gas and disappears after 5-10 mins anyway

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
Just reading Judy's message, if you hate the chlorine in your water, just leave it stand for 10 mins. It's a disolved gas and disappears after 5-10 mins anyway

Yep, I've heard that too. For me, I'd never consistently go to that trouble. Didn't we have a discussion about being lazy a while back? Laughing

If it's just the taste that's a concern, I'd put lemon or lime in the water. For me, the chlorine is a health concern. I'm one of those strange naturalists that has an aversion to chemicals. Laughing

JUDY

5% products discount

Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
antioxidants, like many have mentioned are key. They will kill the free radicals in your body caused by smoking and sun exposure. Free radicals are thought to be the reason, other than genes, for premature aging. A great source are blueberry's (hopefully you enjoy them as much as I do). Flax seed oil which is high in omega 3 (more omega 3 the better) is also another factor in fighting free radicals. Flax seed oil can be found in capsuls if u dont like fish or nuts. But if u are a fish lover, the heavier/oilier the fish ie: the smellier (examples: mackeral, anchioves, herring) the more amount of antioxidants. Dr. Perricone recommends a diet called the salmon diet. I think he writes about it in his latest book.

Oh and be sure to wear sunscreen everyday even if the sun isnt out. If you dont like greasy sunscreens there are plenty out there that are a sunscreen/moisterizer in one. Theres a thread going somewhere in this forum about good ones.

Tisk tisk on smoking Confused i wish cigarettes were never invented

jill
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
Amesevey wrote:
antioxidants, like many have mentioned are key. They will kill the free radicals in your body caused by smoking and sun exposure. Free radicals are thought to be the reason, other than genes, for premature aging. Flax seed oil which is high in omega 3 (more omega 3 the better) is also another factor in fighting free radicals. Flax seed oil can be found in capsuls if u dont like fish or nuts.

Antioxidants definitely, both internally and in your skincare products. I do eat fish and nuts, but also take six of those HUGE flaxseed gelcaps daily, as well as two fish oil capsules.

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:00 am      Reply with quote
hi

should i take flaxseed oil capsules too. what about any other vitamins or is the Selenium ACE enough?

thanks

Sally

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
salster68 wrote:

should i take flaxseed oil capsules too. what about any other vitamins or is the Selenium ACE enough?
thanks
Sally

Sally....

That's hard for anyone to say without knowing in some detail what your everyday diet consists of, and I certainly am not a nutritional counselor. Smile

However, just today I got an e-mail report from Dr. Betty Kamen, one of the foremost nutritionists in the US (and the first female Ph.D. in nutrition in the U.S.) about how essential fatty acids (two are flaxseed and fish oil) help to prevent heart disease. Naturally, that could be important for someone who smokes.

I personally take flaxseed and fish oil as a preventive measure, along wit a number of other nutritional supplements. When you're doing something for prevention, you kinda have to go on faith in what the people in the know are telling us because we can't see a lot of evidence of prevention. However, I'm 60 and my husband is 65 and in the past 10 years, we go to the M.D. for our annual checkups and that's it. So, we must be doing something right. Laughing

We do try to eat healthy, take nutritional supplements and exercise regularly. Wink

JUDY

5% products discount

Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
you are falling into a deep state or relaxation . . . with each deadly puff you are filling your lungs with poison. carcinogens and toxins are rupturing what is left of your delicate collagen. with each inhalation your wrinkles become deeper, your skin sags more and more as it is eveloped by drying, aging, destroying pollution. your dermis and epidermis cry out for moisture, but the elastin and collagen become more and more cross-linked into disarray. if you smoke in the sun, then by god you are doing double duty, and free radicals will bombard every cell as they slowly die. your skin heals itself more slowly, it becomes wrinkled, and it sags. now, when i count to three you will open your eyes and never subject your skin to the cancer that is killing you. . . one . . . two . . . three . . . awake and begin a new era of skin care as a born again smoke-free child of the earth.
tinamarie8
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
You have received some excellent advice. I take a multivitamin with antioxidants, Evening Primrose Oil capsules, Flaxseed Oil capsules, and a MSM/Glucosamine combo. Make sure to include a Vitamin C supplement and eat a lot of food with Vitamin C. I read an article which mentioned that smokers are typically very deficient in Vitamin C. I read that it could take 6 weeks or more of supplementing to see a result in skin health, so don't get discouraged early on. Good Luck!

Tina
salster68
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi

i think i had better add flaxseed capsules and vit c to my vitamin intake. i am taking glucasomine too (again to help prevent osteoarthiritis)

thank you all for you help yet again - i have not come across so many helpful and understanding people as everyone on this forum

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
salster68 wrote:
Hi

i think i had better add flaxseed capsules and vit c to my vitamin intake. i am taking glucasomine too (again to help prevent osteoarthiritis)

thank you all for you help yet again - i have not come across so many helpful and understanding people as everyone on this forum

Hi Sally....

It's really a privilege to be able to share good stuff with ya' that could improve your health and your skin!

JUDY

5% products discount

Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
I'll second that on the msm too...been very good for my skin
System
Automatic Message
Tue May 07, 2024 11:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |