Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hello, our 14year old dog recently passed away, please rop&g
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, yesterday we had to put down our 14 year old miniature daschund. We purchased him 2 weeks after we were married, so basically we grew up with him.

I never knew this would be so hard! He went downhill quickly, within 1 day he would not walk or drink anything, and we had to carry him outside. (started vomiting and never got better).

My 3 children are having a hard time, esp. my 10 year old.

We were already looking for a new puppy a few months ago, but with the age of our dog did not purchase one at the time.

Any recommendations on getting a new puppy, would you wait or get one right away?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
I am so sorry, I know how much it hurts. I'm a dachsie lover and have lost 2 in the past 5 years.

My advice is to give yourself some time to heal a bit before getting a new family member. But I also know its hard to have an 'empty' house so do what feels right for you and family.

Take care.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
So sorry to hear about your dog Lipglossdoll, it must be really tough for your family right now.
My g/f had to have her dog put down a few months ago and she wanted to wait before getting another puppy. Her husband went out and got a "replacement" immediately, much to my g/f's annoyance. She said she needed time to mourn her old dog before getting another one and I fully understood her. It took her about 2 months to "warm" to the new puppy as she was constantly comparing her to her old dog and she was basically still in mourning for him.

So take this for what its worth, hope it helps you in making a decision.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Lipglossdoll,
So so sorry about the loss of your dog. One point that you might make with you 10 yr. old is to stress that for a dog to live 14 years is such a blessing. Many dogs aren't healthy enough to enjoy that kind of life span. My thoughts about getting another dog is to go ahead and do so. My best friend lost her dog Christmas day. The last dog she lost she waited a year or more before getting another one and the whole family stayed in grief the whole time. This time I called a breeder and just took her to look at puppies one week after they lost their dog. She picked out a puppy and when she took it home her husband thought she had lost her mind getting one so soon. After two days they knew they had made the right decision. It gave everyone a new direction and lots of laughing and joy with a new puppy. It has now been seven months and she repeatedly has thanked me for setting things up for her to get the new dog so quickly. You need to remind the children that the new dog is not replacing the old one, it will never be replaced in their hearts, but the new dogs need all their love and is starting a journey and life and your home can provide everything it needs. There maybe others that think waiting is better, but for me and my observations there is nothing like a precious puppy or and adopted grown dog needing a home to fill the lonesome space.
Toby
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Lipglossgirl,

so sorry for your loss!

I think you both were so blessed to have him around for so long. My heart goes out to you and your family.

I have seen both cases when people got another dog right away and when they waited for 6 months or so. You should really do what feels right to you.

Good luck with a new puppy whenever you decide to get him.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
There are such cute dogs!
I konw that losing a pet is like losing a family member - so sorry for your loss.
In time, you may like to adopt a rescue animal to honour the memory of your beloved pooch.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Toby! That's such a wonderful story!! It brought a tear to my eye. Good advice and I hope it helps Lipglossgirl. So hard to lose a pet, I know.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:43 am      Reply with quote
I know how much losing a beloved pet hurts. I'm so sorry for your loss.

To be honest, I would wait at least a week or two and then see how you feel. Most people need some time to grieve.

Then it's really down to the individual. Some people absolutely need to fill the hole left by their pet straight away. Others need to take their time and can't bear the thought of another pet taking the other's place so soon afterwards. Neither of these is the wrong thing to do. It's very much down to you and your own feelings.

In the meantime, you have my utmost sympathy at this terribly sad time.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Lipglossdoll, I am giving you a huge hug with tears in my eyes, our dog is 12 and we will soon have to do the same.
You did the right thing. We cant let them suffer. They give us so much love.I am so sorry for the loss in your family.
But,when youre ready. What a lucky dog to have such good humans to love and care for them.

Smile
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, thanks for all of the replies ladies, it's nice to have such caring people on the board. Very Happy

(I think we will get a puppy sooner rather than later, we will get another daschund, but a different colour, they did have some red ones for sale, but we had a long-haired daschund, and it would hit a bit close to home).

Thanks again.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:37 am      Reply with quote
lipglossdoll, I am so sorry for your loss. I had to put my 14 year old to sleep 4 years ago. I was so lonely and sad that I got another dog within 3 months of losing my 14 year old. It was the best thing I ever did. I ended up getting a 2nd dog pretty soon after that. They bring such joy to my life and my families. Good luck on your decision. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:07 am      Reply with quote
Lipglossdoll,

I fully support getting a new puppy as soon as possible. Why?

Because your old dog would never, ever want you to be alone. Seeking a new love honors the old.

Good wishes to you all --

Sidda

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
Lipglossdoll,

I fully support getting a new puppy as soon as possible. Why?

Because your old dog would never, ever want you to be alone. Seeking a new love honors the old.

Good wishes to you all --

Sidda

Sidda I love this!
Toby
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:44 am      Reply with quote
My heart goes out to you... I have a 13 yr old, an almost 13 yr old & an 11.5 yr old (dogs) - and the smallest one is 45 lbs, so I know I'm on borrowed time with all of them. I also have a 13 yr old cat (along with 2 that are only a year old).

I've lost 7 pets over the past several years (all but one to old age) - I've found it definitely helps to have other pets around to distract you. The sound (or lack thereof) of a totally petless house is awful to me. But, I also agree with the person who said that everyone grieves in their own way. I know that when the last of my current dogs goes to the Rainbow Bridge, I'll probably get a puppy pretty quickly to fill that void.

If you haven't seen it already...

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Cathy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
I am truly sorry for your loss. Our pets are family, and it is truly like losing a family member. I had my cat for 23 years and he died last year. I had him more than half my life and it was such a loss each day. It does get better trust me. Time does heal. Your children and yourself will need a grieving time, I would say don't get a new doggie yet. Let the dust settle a little, then get a new one. I know it feels like getting a new dog will help you forget about your friend being gone now, but I think it is like anything else, you need time to heal before you can move on. You sweet friend went quickly, which is good...that way he did not suffer. He is up in heaven looking down on you guys. Know that he is safe, and happy and he thinks about you daily, just as you do him.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, we have a new puppy coming end of this week, we are very excited! (another daschund, but a black dapple one.) Thanks for all of the lovely replies ladies, much appreciated.

We were going to wait a few months, but with the kids out of school for summer thought it would be a great time for them to spend time with the new puppy as well. Very Happy
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Good choice & Ahhhhhhhhh! isn't it wonderful to have a new puppy?
After I lost my last beloved cat I told my husband my arms "ached" for a cat. I've had an assortment of them for the past 20 years and it would sure be hard for me to live without one now.
Here's the story of my George:
When Ozzie, my previous cat, was getting old, a little tiger kitty came walking down my driveway, just checking things out. I'd never seen him before but he was friendly and cute.
As things will go, poor Ozzie died. The little tiger got braver and braver and would come up on the deck for a treat and an earscratch. The real clincher was when I let him in the house and he crawled up into my sleeping husband's arms and put his little head on his shoulder!! He sure knew how to work it, didn't he!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Wonderful, new puppy ImageI bet your kids can't wait to Imageget that new little one. Summer is also a good time to house train a puppy Shock Best wishes to your new addition.
Give you puppy lots of hugs and it will give you lots of puppy kisses Laughing
Toby

g

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
Dogs are wonderful. I've never been able to be long without one or two. I still think about my previous dogs but it wouldn't stop me from immediately getting other dogs. Dogs are just unconditional love.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you're welcoming a new member of your family.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |