Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
MSM
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
aquarius86
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:29 am      Reply with quote
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20364&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=photo+rejuvination&start=0&sid=5fbf5c7a34091e7444f055d80ffe79e0

I stumbled on this thread yesterday and I could not believe some of the things I was reading. Is this vitamin/herb really as good as the things I read? This is a first for me, I have never heard about this before. I know many on this board are very knowledgeable on many many different things. Is it really that good?
TanyaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:17 am      Reply with quote
I fought my hyperpigmentation with lasers and hydroquinone. It was complete waste of money. So I started to take MSM. I'm taking it for few months already and I noticed that melasma on the sides of my face become uneven - I see pigmented spot(3 by 10 cm aproximately) is broken , white skin appears in spots.
My nails and hair are stronger too. But I cannot confirm that it's from MSM, I also take Biotin, B6 and Zinc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
MSM is used by many on the forum and other forums completely endorse it (Flex Effect.com for one). I am a fan of MSM - take it in powdered form - approximately a teaspoon a day (you must build to this amount). It is also advisable that you take Vit C in a ratio of 1:2 approximately. Meaning 4000 mg MSM/2000 mg C. they work synergistically to create collagen and laying down new foundation. It takes a while to see an effect so patience is necessary. Skin needs to turnover and this will take time. I am into about a year or so of use and would not ever want to stop using this. My hair is so much better as is the integrity of my skin.

MSM is one of my favorite supplements and I would give up so many others before I would ever give this up.

Read away. You will learn lots here on EDS.

Sis.....
aquarius86
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi, thanks for the reply. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase it? I checked our local WalMart and they did not have it. Is there any one brand that is better than another? My daughter who is 21 would probably benefit, she is always complaining about her hair being so thin and always falling out. Me, I want if for the collagen. You said you gradually work your way up to a certain amount. How much do you start out with? Or is that a personal choice on weather you get an upset stomach? I'm from eastern Pennsylvania. We do have a GNC store at the mall and a store called Peace Frog which sells all sorts of vitamins and things like that.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:29 am      Reply with quote
A great site with GREAT prices to buy many supplements is vitacost.com. the msm I use is powdered from Source Naturals. I also get ascorbyl palmitate there (that is the tech name for vit C ester - do not confuse this with Ester C... They are not the same)...

I buy lots of my vitamins from them.

Another good source is MSM_MSM.com (I think that's it)
TanyaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
MSM is used by many on the forum and other forums completely endorse it (Flex Effect.com for one). I am a fan of MSM - take it in powdered form - approximately a teaspoon a day (you must build to this amount). It is also advisable that you take Vit C in a ratio of 1:2 approximately. Meaning 4000 mg MSM/2000 mg C. they work synergistically to create collagen and laying down new foundation.

sister sweets, should i take vitamin C and MSM together? I drink lemon juice every morning (that's my vitamin C for the day Smile ) and then I take 6-8 1000 mg MSM tablets during the day (usually 2 at once).

TIA

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
I can tell the difference in my fingernail growth especially when I keep up with MSM and VitC.
Thanks for the reminder and the tip about Biotin,zinc & B6.
I get mine also from Vitacost.com.

Smile
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:22 am      Reply with quote
TanyaB wrote:
sister sweets wrote:
MSM is used by many on the forum and other forums completely endorse it (Flex Effect.com for one). I am a fan of MSM - take it in powdered form - approximately a teaspoon a day (you must build to this amount). It is also advisable that you take Vit C in a ratio of 1:2 approximately. Meaning 4000 mg MSM/2000 mg C. they work synergistically to create collagen and laying down new foundation.

sister sweets, should i take vitamin C and MSM together? I drink lemon juice every morning (that's my vitamin C for the day Smile ) and then I take 6-8 1000 mg MSM tablets during the day (usually 2 at once).

TIA

Hi Tanya - I would take at least another 1000mg C later in the day. You are taking a lot of MSM. And it is best to distribute your intake over a days time with the C also.

the lemon water is great detox in the am but is water soluble and will be used and done. I wouldn't expect it would be sustain all day for all of the MSM intake.
TanyaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
You are taking a lot of MSM.

Ya, I have huge melasma spots on my face( don't know if it's due to my second pregnancy 4 years ago or due to my baking on the sun in my teen years) Sad
sister sweets wrote:
And it is best to distribute your intake over a days time with the C also.

Does it mean that for each 1000 mg MSM I should take 2000 mg vitamin C? I read that overdose of vitamin C is dangerous. I'm confused Shock

TIA

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:47 am      Reply with quote
MSM hasn't helped me with melasma or hyperpigmentation at all! but it has helped strengthen my muscular skeletal system, and I believe has contributed to nail and hair growth. It is a supplement that delivers! It should be taken in divided doses, with food, and Vit C. If you're taking too much, you will get gas-y Embarassed I take it with my glucosamine/chondroitan supplement.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:52 am      Reply with quote
TanyaB wrote:
sister sweets wrote:
You are taking a lot of MSM.

Ya, I have huge melasma spots on my face( don't know if it's due to my second pregnancy 4 years ago or due to my baking on the sun in my teen years) Sad
sister sweets wrote:
And it is best to distribute your intake over a days time with the C also.

Does it mean that for each 1000 mg MSM I should take 2000 mg vitamin C? I read that overdose of vitamin C is dangerous. I'm confused Shock

TIA

The opposite: For 2000mg of MSM - 1000mg of C. this is what I've read on many sites. Loren Pickart recommends this I think. Also recommended on Flexeffect as well as on EDS from various sources. I probably take 1000-1500mg C to 4000mg MSM... The rest of my C I get from food sources: fruits, veggies and my beloved lemon water.

Mountain girl - how much MSM do you take? I know it has helped my joints also. My skin is stronger - as we all say here though - who knows? We all do so m any things that contribute to that, don't we?
zephyr
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
I started taking MSM in pill form (1000 mg each, four or five a day) a few months ago and noticed a definite difference in my hair, especially at my hairline. I thought that at 49, my normally thick hair (fine and wavy/curly, but lots of it) had been thinning out a bit. My hairdresser said it wasn't, but I decided to give MSM a try anyway. And the other benefits of MSM (skin, tissues in general) certainly couldn't hurt, right? Sure enough, I noticed short hairs growing in at my hairline after four weeks. If you've ever had slight hair loss after childbirth and then had regrowth several months later, you know what I'm talking about and this was just the same. Yay! I thought my skin was looking better and brighter, too. I have no hyperpigmentation problems so can't say that MSM helped me that way.

Summer got hectic and I ran out of MSM a month ago. But I've just reordered some and got it in powder form this time. I got tired of those big pills - very hard for me to swallow.

I'm a believer in MSM, thanks to this forum!
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Gosh, I'm amazed people can take such large amounts of MSM... even taking 1,000mg at once really upsets my stomach, and I thought I was one of those people who can eat anything!

Did you all build up from a lower dose, or were you able to tolerate 1,000mg straight away?

Thanks
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
Just an FYI; If you have the capsule variety without any fillers, you can dissolve one in a TBS of distilled water and add it to any cream, serum or moisturizer.....

It's awesome!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Ugh, I have only ever had minor pigmentation on my upper cheek until last week when I was out in the sun all afternoon and now have a dark area above my lips. It looks terrible Sad I have never worn sunscreen and never had an issue until last week. I remembered reading a while ago about MSM helping with pigmenation I actually just bought the only bottle of MSM that I could find in town but it says it's for joint pain and now I'm wondering if this is OK for what I need it for? I do plan on reading the entire MSM thread, but until then is this the right stuff? The brand name is webber naturals, it's 1000 mg MSM tablets and the ingredients are microcrystalline cellulose, silicon dioxide and vegetable grade magnesium stearate (lubricant). Is that fillers? Sorry I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to this kind of thing.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Diana, I believe they 'are' fillers.. Next time look for a bottle that states; "No excipients or fillers". I highly recommend the following;

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=143095&catid=28464

Just an FYI; a guaranteed way to see if your MSM capsules are filler 'free' is to open one into a half glass of water. If it sinks and fully dissolves in less than 10 seconds, it's a good bet, it is without fillers..

HTH!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kassy. It's so frustrating. Every site I've seen posted so far for buying MSM does not ship to Canada. Off to do a google search I guess.
TanyaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
otherloulou wrote:
Did you all build up from a lower dose, or were you able to tolerate 1,000mg straight away?

I'm taking MSM by Webber Natural. each tablet is 1,000 mG. I started from 1 tablet per day and increased number to 6 (sometimes eight) over a month or so. I added extra pill every week.
ya, I agree - the tablets are huge, gross and hard to swallow. But I'm inspired by the result of others and of myself now. Today I added vitamin C tablets, which are huge (even though only 500 mG each) and hard to swallow too.
Surprised

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
Thanks Kassy. It's so frustrating. Every site I've seen posted so far for buying MSM does not ship to Canada. Off to do a google search I guess.

I bought mine in Shoppers Drug Mart. As I mentioned in my previous post - it's by Webber Natural. And it called "MSM". I used to buy another brand and they state full name (sorry can't repeat it now Surprised ) and MSM mentioned below. Also I 've seen it in Costco.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
TanyaB wrote:
Diana P wrote:

I bought mine in Shoppers Drug Mart. As I mentioned in my previous post - it's by Webber Natural. And it called "MSM". I used to buy another brand and they state full name (sorry can't repeat it now Surprised ) and MSM mentioned below. Also I 've seen it in Costco.

OK so that sounds like the same one I am using. It was the only kind they have in our local pharmacy. I think I am still going to try and find one that doesn't have fillers in it.
TanyaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
I think I am still going to try and find one that doesn't have fillers in it.

Don't remember where I read it (maybe in original MSM topic), but pure MSM should have "OptiMSM" sign (blue background, white font, shape of tablet) - you will find it on the package.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
TanyaB wrote:
Diana P wrote:
I think I am still going to try and find one that doesn't have fillers in it.

Don't remember where I read it (maybe in original MSM topic), but pure MSM should have "OptiMSM" sign (blue background, white font, shape of tablet) - you will find it on the package.
HTH

That's what mine say's. The brand I have is "Natures Way". Same one as the link I provided above... Cheap too! 200 capsules for $14.99

gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thought I'd chime in...I take MSM, but in powder form. I buy it from vitacost.com, and it's the Linguisil processed Pure MSM powder. It's relatively cheap considering you can get a pretty big bottle of this stuff, but I'm sure you can find cheaper on the web.

Diane~Just make sure it says it's pure like everyone on here is saying. I remember I took an MSM capsule from Whole Foods that had some fillers in it, and I felt nauseous. I don't know if that's the case for everyone, but try to avoid those fillers! Take care and good luck with your MSM hunt!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Just an FYI; If you have the capsule variety without any fillers, you can dissolve one in a TBS of distilled water and add it to any cream, serum or moisturizer.....

It's awesome!

May have to get some capsules just to give it a try. Thanks!!!!!<a
divalovesmusic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using MSM for 3 months now and my skin has less acne especially that time of the month. Also, my hair and nails grow like crazy! Especially my toe nails!
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |