Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Llana wrote:

Thank you for your reply, ill be going out to buy the products i need. Just to be sure, i need ascorbic acid and glycerin, will it be enough with just those 2? Im sorry if these questions have already been asked, tried reading all the posts but there were just too many.

Thank you again for your reply otherwise i was going to try the sodium ascorbate and i guess that was going to be a big mistake Embarassed

Llana, not sure if anybody posted this link for you already, but it will be helpful to you I think;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

Just browse through the vitamin C serum recipes to see which suits you, and you'll know exactly what you need. Most use a combination of distilled water, L-AA, vitamin E, Ferulic Acid and a bit of emulsifier.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:50 am      Reply with quote
Llana wrote:
Thank you again for your reply otherwise i was going to try the sodium ascorbate and i guess that was going to be a big mistake Embarassed

You really need to spend some time perusing the websites that sell DIY ingredients - such as:
www.skinactives.com www.bulkactives.com www.lotioncrafters.com www.cellbone.com

These websites have all the ingredients that you will ever need, plus some give instructions or have forums where you will find lots of helpful information.

When formulating your own serums you need to use ingredients that are specifically intended for that use - you can't substitute food grade ingredients. HTH.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:09 am      Reply with quote
Hello Ladies Very Happy

I'm interested in trying out the vit c serum but is 20 still too young for that?

TIA!
Llana

Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:34 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Kassy and Keliu for the links.....
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Llana wrote:
Thank you Kassy and Keliu for the links.....

One more to add for your reading pleasure. Smile

http://www.makingcosmetics.com

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon

You mentioned earlier that Bulkactives ships out of Asia? ...Any Idea which country? I am in Asia so that would be just too cool, for once it works in my favor with regards to goodies...I hope.

I will keep looking to see if I can find them myself though.

I am a *DOOFUS*
EDIT:
They ship out of my adoptive home country!!!!

Merry Christmas to me!!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
LOL Well that certainly works to your advantage! Smile Smile Smile

DragoN wrote:
DarkMoon

You mentioned earlier that Bulkactives ships out of Asia? ...Any Idea which country? I am in Asia so that would be just too cool, for once it works in my favor with regards to goodies...I hope.

I will keep looking to see if I can find them myself though.

I am a *DOOFUS*
EDIT:
They ship out of my adoptive home country!!!!

Merry Christmas to me!!
Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Darkmoon you are a wealth of information!! Thank you so much for tipping me off to that.

Usually here, everything is in Chinese..which I cannot read. Sad Makes it a real dog to get stuff. Speaking, I am not so great..but I can get my point across. ..usually.

Now....goes looking for SKB...

The Vitamin C that I wrote about above with the changes,...is WORKING...you gals are so awesome here.

The OCM...wow wow wow...I cannot believe how well that is working!! I am beginning to feel "Too sexy for my shirt"... Laughing

Time to run and do my Face exercises.. Laughing

My hubby will scream blue murder when he sees the "collection' of goodies I have amassed..hopefully he will try them though too.. Cool
Llana

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I have another question hope you girls dont mind.I make my vitamin c serum with just water and ascorbic acid, until i can find glycerin, how much ascorbic acid and water do i mix together? Also can i apply this in the morning because i use a home made solution on my face for rosacea in the evenings before bed and i dont think i can use these 2 solutions around the same time?

Llana
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
Llana wrote:
Hi

I have another question hope you girls dont mind.I make my vitamin c serum with just water and ascorbic acid, until i can find glycerin, how much ascorbic acid and water do i mix together? Also can i apply this in the morning because i use a home made solution on my face for rosacea in the evenings before bed and i dont think i can use these 2 solutions around the same time?

Llana

If you just combine L-AA and water, then it depends on the concentration you want to make. If you want a 5% solution, then dissolve 1 tsp of Vit C into a quater glass of warm water.

Also, you don't have to use glycerin, substitute it with aloe vera gel or SKB.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
You can combine LAA with water but need to use very quickly - within days. spritz on and keep in fridge. It's very unstable.

5% products discount

Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
I have made Kassy_A's recipe a few times, but I never end up really using it. When I put it on my face, it makes me feel...crunchy Smile almost gritty. Do you all feel like this too?
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
Nope...mine turn out smooth as silk. I use Kassy's recipes as well.

Perhaps the LAA you are using is too course? Do you use an ultrafine powder?

The last recipe I made, I screwed up the order of operations....and it still turned out perfectly smooth.
jencarl
5% products discount

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Can you tell me which laa you buy and where you get it from? I'd like to try again. Thanks!
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I got mine off the shelf here...so that won't help you much. However, the ferulic acid I got from Bulkactives.com and that blended beautifully.

I am betting that John gets his LAA from the same source I did. I think you will do well to buy from him.
jencarl
5% products discount

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Thank you DragoN, I just placed an order with bulkactives.com
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
jencarl wrote:
I have made Kassy_A's recipe a few times, but I never end up really using it. When I put it on my face, it makes me feel...crunchy Smile almost gritty. Do you all feel like this too?

Some LAA I've used just takes a REALLY long time to dissolve and you have to keep stirring...and stirring...If it doesn't completely dissolve you'll get grit. Sometimes you have to wait a couple hours.

Two options:
1) pre-grind the gritty stuff before you use it, ideally with a mortar and pestle or worst case with one of those plastic stir-thingys. Just crush it around in a shotglass for a while and it'll dissolve more quickly. I've heard it's best not to use a metal spoon on the LAA; or
2) buy a different brand. I'm now using GOW LAA which dissolves very quickly. I've heard that Lotioncrafters is very fine as well. And as you've already heard, Bulkactives dissolves easily as well.

Kassy's recipes are great and they've saved me a ton of money!
luca4
5% products discount

Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
I got my LAA from bulkactives. It's very fine and sometimes dissolves in a matter of a few minutes, but other times I stir *forever* and it never completely dissolves. It still seems to work in my serum. I use Kassy's recipe with jojoba with a few changes and I've been very pleased with the results.

An unexpected bonus was the lightening effect on my face and the age spots on my hands. I still have them, but they're much less visible.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
You need to use ultrafine LAA and a warmish distilled water. A light "hit" in the microwave to take it a tad above room temp will help dissolving. If you get it right it dissolves almost instantly even if you don't have ultrafine. May want to experiment.

5% products discount

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, sister sweets, that's a great tip. I'll try heating the H2O just a tad before adding the LAA. The times that my LAA dissolved quickly may have been days when it was warmer in my kitchen than the other times.

Has anyone had their "age spots" on hands go away just with using Vit C, E, FA serum?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:45 am      Reply with quote
luca4 wrote:
Thanks, sister sweets, that's a great tip. I'll try heating the H2O just a tad before adding the LAA. The times that my LAA dissolved quickly may have been days when it was warmer in my kitchen than the other times.

Has anyone had their "age spots" on hands go away just with using Vit C, E, FA serum?

I use water that's a tad higher than body temperature when we take vitamin C internally it doesn't destroy it so a little warmer won't harm it one bit. We even take it when running a fever after all! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
I am 25 yrs old. I have combination-dry skin. I am currently using Retin-A .025 at night to keep blemishes at bay and as a preventative measures to wrinkles or signs of aging. Also I have been reading a lot about Vit. C serums from this forum and have been advised to start using vitamin c serum as a preventative measures to photoaging. So being 25 yrs old and not having any wrinkles..what would be the best vitamin C recipe to use? I have read a lot of Kassy's different recipes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
I would like to know what the difference is between L-ascorbic acid and ascorbic acid. I'm trying to purchase my ingredients for making vit. c serum and wondering if i can use ascorbic acid instead of L-AA

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
I would like to know what the difference is between L-ascorbic acid and ascorbic acid. I'm trying to purchase my ingredients for making vit. c serum and wondering if i can use ascorbic acid instead of L-AA

BCgirl as long as it's labeled Vitamin C it's L ascorbic acid, some don't bother with the L but it's the same, just make sure it's 100% pure! Smile

5% products discount

Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't received my pH strips yet. Any issues with:
1 tsp LAA
3 tsp distilled H20
1 drop Vit E
1 drop jojoba

The glycerin made my face look shiny, kinda waxy and weird, not to mention sticky, so I changed it a little. Does this look ok?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |