Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Loosey
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I have a question. I've found a Vit C powder seller online that ships in my country so that it wont be that expensive. Anyway, I do not know if I can use it as Vit C? (Im gonna use for my SM's while im rolling)

The scientific name is Sodium ascorbyl phospate, is that something I can use?!

Appreciate answers!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Loosey wrote:
Hi! I have a question. I've found a Vit C powder seller online that ships in my country so that it wont be that expensive. Anyway, I do not know if I can use it as Vit C? (Im gonna use for my SM's while im rolling)

The scientific name is Sodium ascorbyl phospate, is that something I can use?!

Appreciate answers!

Here's the little I know about it:

- It's a derivative of L-Ascorbic Acid
- It's very stable, especially when in a formulation that contains carbomer
- It's water soluble, and dissolves quickly
- The most favorable thing it offers the skin is it's antioxidant protection (It falls just short of collagen building potential, based on what I've read about it.)
- It works best in a formulation that contains H2O, silicones + a thickener (xanthan gum would be good!)

An easy example I could give you on how to compare this to L-AA would be to think of it using this example;

Retinol needs to penetrate the skin, and is then converted into retinoic acid. It will never be the equivalent or strength of Retin-A.

SAP penetrates the skin, and is converted into free ascorbic acid by enzyme activity. It will never be the equivalent or strength of L-Ascorbic Acid.

Hope that helps a bit!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
I made my first batch of Vit C serum yesterday! YAY! It was amazingly easy! I did carekate's Homemade Vitamin C Serum

I'm going to try Kassy's Vit C, E with ferulic acid tonight!

I will also like to thank Kassy for recommending the Vit C from Lotioncrafter. All I did was swirl it in distilled water and it just dissolved without leaving any traces.

YAY to DIY!
tortoiseshell
5% products discount

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:23 am      Reply with quote
Just wondering if it's okay to use a stronger than 5% solution around the eye area... having noticed that the Skinceuticals range for example seems to keep their eye area serums to 5% - ?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
tortoiseshell wrote:
Just wondering if it's okay to use a stronger than 5% solution around the eye area... having noticed that the Skinceuticals range for example seems to keep their eye area serums to 5% - ?

Depends on your sensitivity.. I use 15% everywhere, including all around the eye, and even the upper eyelid.. Very Happy

Other's are more sensitive, and avoid the eye area, or even buffer the serum with a drop of 2 of H2O for the eye area.. (No need to make, or buy 2 C products, just buffer!)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
funkydory wrote:
I made my first batch of Vit C serum yesterday! YAY! It was amazingly easy! I did carekate's Homemade Vitamin C Serum

I'm going to try Kassy's Vit C, E with ferulic acid tonight!

I will also like to thank Kassy for recommending the Vit C from Lotioncrafter. All I did was swirl it in distilled water and it just dissolved without leaving any traces.

YAY to DIY!

Yay Funky... Laughing You are well on your way to DIY * spam alert * now..

My very 1st DIY project was Carekate's C serum also.. (Check out the other great recipe's from her and others here;)

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

ETA: WOW! I just had a look at that link, and do believe "havana8" is hard at work keeping up with all the recipe's.. (3 cheers for our super, duper moderator.. )

Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
ETA: WOW! I just had a look at that link, and do believe "havana8" is hard at work keeping up with all the recipe's.. (3 cheers for our super, duper moderator.. )

Absolutely!!! And silly me has only just found out about the thread. Embarassed

I just want to tell everyone that I just found out I've been ballsing up the C,E and Ferulic recipe this whole time...
I've been doubling up on all the ingredients to make enough to last awhile for my face, neck, chest and arms/hands. Weeell...It says 2 tbs SKB, so I was doing 4. Or so I thought. I only had a tsp as my largest measurer, so added 8 tsps to the mix. I just realised that this only equates to 2 tbs. Shock No idea how strong my solution has been, but obvoiusly REAL strong. Suprisingly my skin has handled the strength without screaming.
cmscindy

Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Hello,
It's been a while since I have been on here. I read all your post on making your own Vite C. And I'm vary interested. I have a few questions. What is the normal color of this serum? Is it sticky? I would like to try a simple one first with just 2 or 3 indigents. What would one of you suggest? I'm in the 1st stages of Rosacea. Will I still be able to use this on my face? I just started to use Avene. anti aging cream. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for all the questions

TIA,
cmscindy

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm finally trying to make this, but when I mix the stuff in the first glass, it doesn't seem to dissolve even after leaving it overnight. It's still a milky white color. I put in the LAA and Ferulic acid, then water, and vodka. Am I supposed to do it in a specific order (like water and vodka then LAA, wait for LAA to dissolve and then add Ferulic Acid)? Thanks.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
If you are making one of the recipe's I posted, all the directions are written out precisely.. Just follow along..

You will have an opaque milky whitish serum if you don't change anything. If you change even one thing, you're on your own...

cmscindy; check out Carekate's serum which only has 3 ingredients plus water.

Here are all the DIY recipe's posted at EDS; (and just about all of them have step by step directions.)

havana8

Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Here are all the DIY recipe's posted at EDS; (and just about all of them have step by step directions.)

Can I add, search for "Kassy's" on the posted link as all of her lovely recipes are listed there in their respective sections (unless, of course, I have missed one or two. In which case, PM me to add them! Embarassed )

For DIY supplies and sources, search for "Alley's" on the same thread as the link to her DIY Supplies thread is also listed there under "DIY Suppliers & Websites".

Angel
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

Can I add, search for "Kassy's" on the posted link as all of her lovely recipes are listed there in their respective sections (unless, of course, I have missed one or two. In which case, PM me to add them! Embarassed )

For DIY supplies and sources, search for "Alley's" on the same thread as the link to her DIY Supplies thread is also listed there under "DIY Suppliers & Websites".

Angel

Havana, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't even be able to find *my* recipe's... Laughing Laughing Laughing You are a gem my dear, and we all appreciate the wonderful job you do at EDS.. Dancing Dancing

Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
Is there a big difference between L-Ascorbic Acid and Ascorbic Acid without the L in front of it?
tortoiseshell
5% products discount

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:44 am      Reply with quote
I've heard that vitamin C breaks down in UV - but also that it protects against UV - so is it better to use morning or evening?
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:44 am      Reply with quote
tortoiseshell wrote:
I've heard that vitamin C breaks down in UV - but also that it protects against UV - so is it better to use morning or evening?

If you use Retin-A then use the Vit C in the morning. Cause even though Vit C breaks down in sunlight, it does absorb very fast. So as long as you're only out in the sun about 30min after you apply the Vit C you're fine
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:36 am      Reply with quote
WEAR SUNSCREEN! Retin-A and ascorbic acid make the skin more vulnerable to UV damage. The C+E+ferulic serum only provides around spf 8.

5% products discount

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use retin-A - at least not yet. I was thinking if I use C at night then I can use a cream with plant-derived actives during the day (the UV protecting kind, like silymarin). As I assume it'd be safer not to just slather those on straight after C? And of course I'm using sunscreen (EltaMD Physical which is loaded with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide).
safpianist

Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
This is my first post!!...I discovered this site about two weeks ago and I love this website!!!!
I have just received my Retin-a from AllDayChemist (it was quick and easy to order), but I ordered the strongest solution, which is .1% gel. Is there any way for me to dilute the gel before I apply it? Can I mix it with a base cream?...(I have ROC in my cabinet) I learned after I placed my order that I should start with a weaker percentage...
Please excuse me if this had already been addressed,...I have scanned the forum but did not see any information on this...
Thanks so much for any help here!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:50 am      Reply with quote
Vitamin C topical : does it thicken the skin?

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
LLucy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:10 am      Reply with quote
safpianist,

I also ordered the 1% so that I could go down in strength, working my way up to using it straight if I wanted. I have diluted it with aloe vera gel and lately with a basic moisturizer.

I don't know anything about ROC. Doesn't it have a retinol in it? I wouldn't think it wise to use RA mixed with a retinol product because might that make it stronger rather than diluted.
penny1619
5% products discount

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:54 am      Reply with quote
vitamin c also called ascorbic acid, i think is so good ,is is the a water-soluble nutrient
safpianist

Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you L-Lucy for the input...! I will try doing the same starting this evening...
As a side note, I also received Lumigan from AllDayChemist and started using it four days ago...
And will be formulating Kassy's Vit C Serum as soon as my supplies arrive.
This is so much fun!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
I am not sure about the glycerin but add a couple of drops of vodka to the L-AA/H2o mix. I find that my mix is never crystal clear, there are signs of the LAA in the bottom of the glass but they are not crystals that will make my c-serum gritty. At that point I mix the everything else into the LAA and I have never had a problem.
HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
The 1/8th of a tsp is just that, measure out that amount of oil. If you have capsules break them into the measuring spoon.

The anti-oxidant booster is great but I am not sure what will happen to the PH of the c-serum. You could always give it a try, it can't see it hurting you. Just put 1/8th of tsp of that in the serum.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
If this helps there are .61 mls in 1/8th of a tsp so if you have a syringe you might be able to get a little closer.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |