Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lumigan for eyelash growth?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
ammoniasmith wrote:

I read somewhere that studies have shown that the combination of the 2 grows longer lashes than either one but I can't find the source now. Someone else in this long thread mentioned that as well.

Also I saw one doctor on Realself.com say that Travatan was better than Lumigan but he didn't say why exactly. So I thought I would give it a try. The Travatan didn't cost that much on AllDayChemist.com. I think you could try switching to see if that would alleviate the redness.

Thank you, I will probably try it. Although I still have some 10 bottles of Lumigan to go!
Aviano
5% products discount

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:

I'm pretty sure Rapidlash contains prostaglandins.

I'm sure it does, too. I've only done a little online research, but the side effects/symptoms that I have seen people reporting are similar to the other products that contain them. There's just too much coincidence.

Since you have developed dark circles, you're probably sensitive to the prostaglandins and will likely experience them with any product that contains them. Honestly, it baffles me as to why you even continue with the Lumigan, LOL. The dark undereye circles I developed after only six days of Lilash use were just unbelievable, and not remotely like "regular" undereye circles. They were a reddish-purple, and made me feel like a vampire. I went around like this ----> Cool while waiting for them to fade, which was just as well since the product also made my eyes extremely light sensitive, too!
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
Aviano wrote:

Since you have developed dark circles, you're probably sensitive to the prostaglandins and will likely experience them with any product that contains them. Honestly, it baffles me as to why you even continue with the Lumigan, LOL. The dark undereye circles I developed after only six days of Lilash use were just unbelievable, and not remotely like "regular" undereye circles. They were a reddish-purple, and made me feel like a vampire. I went around like this ----> Cool while waiting for them to fade, which was just as well since the product also made my eyes extremely light sensitive, too!

I bet you are right. And I should probably give up the Lumigan all together, I was just so happy with the lash results for a while there... I don't really know why I continue it as it is annoying as hell having to cover your eyelids in heavy foundation everytime you want to leave the house. It looks really nasty.

How long did it take for the the purple color to fade once you were off Lilash?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
An article on eyelash lengthening products in the Wall Street Journal last week included a quote by the opthamologist who founded Athena.  He claimed that the ingredients in RevitaLash are “of a concentration that is reduced from anything that would be in any kind of medication” and that he has been “scupulously careful not to make any claims outside the realm of beautification.”  Desperate to comply with FDA regulations, RevitaLash ensures that its ingredients will not be classified as drugs.  But in no way does that mean they are safe.
Part of an article from http://www.truthinaging.com

Not unless yours is from before FDA
steped in. Only Lilash contains the ingrediant that is in Lumagan since big law suit and FDA regulations, that is the reason Lilash is by RX only.
HTH

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:51 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

Not unless yours is from before FDA
steped in. Only Lilash contains the ingrediant that is in Lumagan since big law suit and FDA regulations, that is the reason Lilash is by RX only.
HTH

Lilash, which contains prostaglandin, is not by RX. Anyone can buy it. It's not regulated.
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:25 am      Reply with quote
I bought the Careprost and have used it a few times. However after reading this thread, I think I will discontinue use. I just dont want the chance of fat loss, pigmentation,red irritated eyes and thin lashes after a certain time. I know these side effects may not affect everyone, but I just dont want to chance it. Because once they happen it may be too late to put it right. Maybe I will try something not RX. Damm I soo wanted longer lashes! Theres always a price to pay for something that works hey! I will continue to monitor peoples results and who knows in the future I may reconsider. Just my thoughts.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:16 am      Reply with quote
My error was thinking Latise,It is strange since LATISE is RX only, hence all th others JM REVITALASH ENORMOUS LASH ect. were forced to change formula and leave the lumigan active out!
more from http;//www.truthinaging.com:
June 23rd, 2008
Posted by marta
A reader with intrepid sleuthing skills sent me the ingredients list for Lilash Eyelash Stimulator. I’ve been trying to find out what is in Lilash all year and the manufacturer, based in Scotsdale, is not very forthcoming. It turns out that the active ingredient is a prostaglandin analogue. Prostaglandin is the drug used to treat glaucoma that – because it may change the color of your eyes or even impact sight – has made eyelash growth products controversial to say the least.

Lilash also contains (in addition to five parabens and phenoxyethanol) a rather unpleasant preservative called methylchloroisothiazalinone. In high concentrations it can cause chemical burns and it is a skin and membrane irritant and so it was largely removed from most cosmetic products except for those with only short duration skin contact such as rinse-offs. There are some newer formulations that make it more acceptable to sensitive users, so it is now found in cosmetics more frequently. In the US accepted concentrations are 15 ppm in rinse-offs and 8 ppm in other cosmetic.

Sephora Favorites Lashstash Mascara Deluxe Sampler

Related articles

What consumer reviews say about Lilash

Picture gallery – how to apply eyelash growth product

Five Best eyelash and eyebrow growth products

Eyelash product round up: do they work and are they safe

Ingredients in the new Marini Lash

Ingredients

Water, Glycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Panthenol, Lupinus Albus Seed Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Seed Extract, Silica, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, 9 alpha, 11 alpha, 15S-trihydroxy-17-Phenyl 18, 19, 20-Trinor-prosta-5Z, 13E-Diene-1-oic acid, Isopropyl Ester.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:52 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
My error was thinking Latise,It is strange since LATISE is RX only, hence all th others JM REVITALASH ENORMOUS LASH ect. were forced to change formula and leave the lumigan active out!

Not so strange. Allergan, the maker of Latisse and Lumigan, holds the patent to Bimatoprost. No one else can use it without infringing on their patent.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Yes and it appears there is quite a bit of hair splitting, prostaglandan analog in so many others. Hmmmmm how close is this to lumagan active? Food for thought. The FDA really made an exmple of Jan Marini and yet others are selling products loaded with "prastaglandin analog" Just what is this exactly:
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/bulletin/030509-full.htm
check out the article.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Yes and it appears there is quite a bit of hair splitting, prostaglandan analog in so many others. Hmmmmm how close is this to lumagan active? Food for thought. The FDA really made an exmple of Jan Marini and yet others are selling products loaded with "prastaglandin analog"

There are a few different kinds of prostaglandins, very similar but not identical.
louisejam
5% products discount

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
How long after using Lumigan did your dark circles appear?
Aviano
5% products discount

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:

Nearly three weeks, and I really did wear my sunglasses practically the entire time. Very Happy

I have no doubt that I was extremely sensitive to the prostaglandin analogue in Lilash, but for a side effect that appeared so quickly, it took its own sweet time going away.
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:42 am      Reply with quote
Aviano wrote:
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:

Nearly three weeks, and I really did wear my sunglasses practically the entire time. Very Happy

I have no doubt that I was extremely sensitive to the prostaglandin analogue in Lilash, but for a side effect that appeared so quickly, it took its own sweet time going away.

Yeah. Well, I'm happy to hear that it did go away.

I guess my Lumigan redness showed up much sooner than I realized myself - other people were commenting on how "tired" I looked and I couldn't understand why. Today, looking back at my pictures taken at 3 weeks, I can now see that the redness had already shown up. I just wasn't paying attention and I dismissed the pictures THEN because my lashes hadn't yet started to grow.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:03 am      Reply with quote
ANNALOG:

In science

Structural analog, a chemical compound with a slightly altered chemical structure
Functional analog, a chemical compound with similar properties
Substrate analog, a chemical compound that resembles the substrate in an enzymatic reaction
Transition state analog, a chemical compound that resembles the transition state of a substrate in an enzymatic reaction

Indeed many different prostaglandins, but the analogs being used I Lash products are trying to replicate the Allergan/Lumagan one. Seem to be as close as they can get and not risk being sued. Hence the very similar adverse reactions experianced by some people. I think it is great for those who are lucky enough to have great results, with no adverse affects. I am still conserned enough not to risk it. Maybe they will improve the formula someday, then who knows I just might try it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I haven't experienced any side effect yet. I have been using Lumigan every night (unless I'm too tired to apply) since 7/7.
semayden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I'm underwhelmed by my Lumigan experience so far - and contrary to what some people on this thread may think, I am sufficiently impressed by what I read on MUA concerning things like Mavala Double lash, to seriously consider getting a bottle and going 'solo' with that for a month or more!

I'm at 21 weeks + (so, over 5 months) and my growth seems to have remained constant at one centimetre MAX on some lashes, and a bit shorter on the rest.

I have experienced NO discoloration of lids or iris, and no irritation.

Had ONE nasty bout of shedding at week 8 (12 lashes from right eye within 3 days) but nothing else significant since then.

You know what? I wonder if I'm the complete opposite of those of you who've experienced long, long lashes (at ANY point) but have also exerienced frequent shedding bouts as well as hyperpigmentation. I have seriously come to think that I just don't respond very much to bimatoprost, period! What else can I think? And where else can I go to get better growth?

At this stage, it hardly seems worth continuing to face the potential risks connected to Lumigan etc. in order to see whether I can get any further with thickening/lengthening.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
I have used Talika as well as Isomers lash product and when I used it consistently I saw longer thicker very conditioned lashes. They do not darken so others would notice when I was wearing mascara. I have good lashes, but they are very pale even though I have very dark hair and eyes. Genetics are just strange sometimes.
From the pics I have seen Lumigan ect. do grow them longer, however I can attest to the fact I had great results with the above mentioned products. Every one's results seem to be different. If these prostaglandin products are working for some with no adverse effects I say go for it, if they cause negative reactions or you are conserned with the risks it is nice to know an alternative may just work for you if you are diligent with usage and have patience. I saw results quickly, it may take longer for some.

I am pasting what I posted a page or two ago, it seems as though this is not believable to some, everyone is entitled to their beliefs. I know I had results albeit not anywhere as dramatic as pics I have seen of those using lumigan ect. No darkening with the above mentioned products but 1000 hours lash tint on the way I believe the conditioning alone stops breakage and helps your lashes reach their best. They both make mine hang in there longer, stay healthy, shiny, long and thick. This is my personal experiance. To each their own. I just won't risk the adverse reactions that I have read about here and....well all over the web

JUST MY HUMBLE LITTLE OPINION

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:27 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
... My oldest child now 28 was on birth control pills and developed blood clots, put on heperin in hospital and then coumidin for a year+ her gourgous thick hair thinned horribly. I have a recepie for an oil to stimulate hair growth (jojoba and EO's) I mixes it up for her and she used it for about six months, made her a fresh batch as needed, her hair is back to it's crowning glory, thick, full, shiney and beautiful...

DarkMoon - can you please share your oil mix recipe for hair growth. Also where do you buy your EOs from.

I have been using EOs for external needs, and now got into internal intake of EOs, it turned out that there are not many reliable suppliers of therapeutic grade EOs (even if they claim to be such).
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I will happily post on DIY RECIPES so no one thinks the recipe is meant to go in the eyes!(lashes).
I think that would be the proper place for me to post.
I will do it as soon as I get a chance.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there!
Just wanted to write about my process. I´m using Lumigan since 4/5 months. My lashes became quite dense and long, unfortunately I´m experiencing some shedding now Sad I don´t know if there is a way to handle that or to avoid it for the next time?

Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:29 am      Reply with quote
So I went onto alldaychemist and I tried to buy some lumigan but it is not even letting me put it in my cart, it is saying I need to call them and verify my prescription? Did they ask you guys the same thing or no, and what did you do?

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Oh ok, I see the Careprost now. Has anyone used this yet, or heard anything? I want to order, but I want to make sure it is exactly the same as Latisse and Lumigan.

(EDIT: Ok so I went ahead and ordered the Careprost, along with Retin - A 0.1% (gel),Tazorec, and Finacea 20% gel. I have combination skin, oily in the t-zone with dry cheeks, chin, and forehead with some acne scars and darks spots. My eyelashes are thin and short and not very dense. I will be keeping you guys updated on the progress of everything, and I will also include pictures along the way.)

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Even if the comment was spam, I have to agree about the eye color thing. Not necessarily because of what she said but I've noticed a lot of people are worried about it (who wouldn't? my eyes are brown and I was worried they would get even darker). But really, like everyone else said even the people who have been using it as intended (for glaucoma) have not seen too many cases of color change. In these patients, the most cases of color change occurred in people with some kind of brown already in their iris color such as green/brown, grey/brown, and the most common color to see change yellow/brown, and that accounted for about 33% of patients. It was rare for that to happen, and it is almost unheard of for people with homogeneously grey, brown, or green eyes with any change. I think a lot of you will be happy to know that there has been no recorded change for people with homogeneously blue eyes. I for one know this first hand because my Grandfather has bright blue eyes and was using drops like these for years. He eventually had to stop because they had better means of medication for his particular problem but it was kind of funny seeing my 90 year old Grandfather with long black lashes. Either way, there is a risk as there is with anything so I'm not going to tell you to try it, but just know that out of the millions of people who use these drops directly in the eye, 33% have seen a color change that gradually happened over a period of 5 years or so, and eventually it ceased to change at all. Also keep in mind the fact that it happened mostly in eyes that are yellow brown so chances are, if you have this eye color and were using this directly in your eye it may not be noticeable (not that that matters if you like your eyes as they are). And last but not least, theres not really a need to remind you that the application for Latisse or any other eyelash growth Rx is not to be placed in the eye but on the lash line as close to the eyelash roots as possible.

On another note, this post is not intended to change anyones mind, I just did my research before I purchased anything for myself and I thought I would share some statistics with you all. My thoughts on this are of course a medicine that has threats like this are scary, but thats the way all medicines are, and some normal items most of the women on this forum probably use daily. Perfume alone can cause Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimer's Disease, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, and death in adults as well. Sounds crazy huh? The thing is, they have to let you know about things that have happened in the worst case scenario, but that does not mean it is common for these side effects to occur, it is just regulation so they don't get sued when someone grows a six inch eye lash. You definitely should take things like this into consideration, but it is always better to get the numbers so you can be sure how many people are affected, and under what circumstances.

5% products discount

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:31 am      Reply with quote
Lumigan is exactly the same thing as Lattisse. They just repackaged the bottle (what I've been told). I've been using Lumigan for 2 months now and my lashes are much thicker and slightly longer. I only need to use 1 coat of mascara whereas before I use 2-3 coats of mascara. I'm loving the results.
louisejam
5% products discount

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:34 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Lumigan for 9 weeks, two days off, one day on. A few eyelashes do seem longer, but I'm not getting the significant results reported by some who used it every day. I think I'll stay as I am until the 16 week mark, and if nothing amazing has happened I'll increase to every other day.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |