Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Dr Hauschka Sensitive Care Conditioner (1 ml x 50 Amps) Shira Nutriburst Peptide Day Therapy (50 ml)
"facelift" by pulling back hair ??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Ive been trying to achieve this forever and just cant do it. I know its not healthy for the hair - and maybe not even so for the skin... but just to get a little lift would do some good...

My question is - does anyone know of a good technique to do this. I have a plastic headband with teeth - and if I pull the hair near my ear back - I get the look i want - i just cant get the headband to do it and make the look stay.

Ive seen women pull their hair back in a ponytail and achieve this look -but again I just cant do it...

any tips???
thanks..
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Just know that one of the side effects of creating tension on the hair roots on a regular basis is hair loss.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 11:49 am      Reply with quote
nice "facelift" Laughing
plastic surgeons should be so scared now with new competition on the market Laughing Laughing

beware though - this "facelift" will change the "expression" of your eyes Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I love to pull my hair off my face. Yes, it makes me look younger. However, my baby fine hair was getting thinner by doing this. Recently I had my hair cut in a chin length bob. My hairline thanks me. Laughing

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
yeah, if I pinned up my corner hair both sides, I do get some instant lifting at my eye corner. However, at the end of the day, I felt that my corner hair got pulled too much and lost some hair ...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
I've done that pulling technique, but it doesn't stay the same as I go about my daily activities. The "facelift" result was just immedialy after the pulling of the hair back. But that's probably because of the elastic I use is gentle on the hair. If you want something to stay on all day, you should use a strong rubber band that will allow you to manipulate the hair more.
seno
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think it's the actual 'pulling', since you can't really pull that much. I think it's the way your hair sits and the fact it's off your face that makes you appear younger. You may want to try combing back the crown of your hair and then tying it in a high ponytail this always makes people look younger.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 12:03 am      Reply with quote
I love wearing my hair pulled back in a ponytail. I'm careful to make sure that my fringe is never cut that short that I can't pull it all back. I think hair pulled back in a ponytail (high at the crown) always makes you look younger because it opens up the face. It looks clean, fresh and very modern (the look is even more striking for women who have naturally thick, beautiful brows).

You have to note though that the ponytail looks you see on the catwalks comprises of blowdrying, curling hair in velcro rollers, bobby pins and a fair amount of hairspray, to achieve gorgeous volume and sleek waves.

Mb935, I don't think hair will really stay pulled back for long with a headband (even with teeth) on its own, especially if you have medium to thick hair...you'll need good quality elastics and bobbi pins to hold the look in place. If you're not used to wearing hairspray, you can spray some onto your hand and then work the product through the pieces you want held in place.

x
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 8:32 am      Reply with quote
thanks for the help...

I guess I have to look into other options... I had read awhile ago that doing such things could damage the hair - but HOPED maybe there was a different technique or even something new on the market that could be helpful.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 9:44 am      Reply with quote
I've heard of this, but I would be concerned with traction alopoecia resulting from pulling hair back tightly, regularly, in the same or similar styles. IMO, not worth it.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 9:47 am      Reply with quote
marci65, what is traction alopoecia??? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 10:03 am      Reply with quote
One place to read more about traction alopoecia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_alopecia
Link even mentions something about Croydon Facelift.

There are several kinds of alopoecia (a general term for baldness).
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 10:11 am      Reply with quote
I see. thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Have you seen those sticky patches that you apply near the hairline and then attach the elastic cords to behind your head??? Sposed to do the same thing as pulling your hair back. Then you have to comb your hair down to cover the whole contraption. I use to see them at Sally beauty product stores but it's been a while. I think I saw it on Oprah a long time ago too. I can't imagine a passionate moment with these things stuck onto your face!!! Laughing Or a hot day at the beach playing volleyball...TWAAAANNNNG there goes your facelift. Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 11:56 am      Reply with quote
I remember seeing something like that years and years ago in the UK. I also remember thinking that I'd never need it. Laughing Time's arrow can be cruel...
happylydia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 6:32 am      Reply with quote
i heard of it tie the hair up and tight really helps with ur forehead wrinkle.. mayb u can try both hair band and hair clip as well!

5% products discount

Tue May 27, 2008 2:53 am      Reply with quote
I think the more tightly your hair is pulled back, the more tight your facial skin looks. I'm not sure that this trick will work on everyone. It depends on your face and skin.
saz07
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 5:07 am      Reply with quote
I have tried this before but found it started causing hair loss so now i dont bother. I do however wear a head band when i go to sleep to avoid hair product (gels, mousse etc) getting onto the skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 10:40 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Have you seen those sticky patches that you apply near the hairline and then attach the elastic cords to behind your head??? Sposed to do the same thing as pulling your hair back. Then you have to comb your hair down to cover the whole contraption. I use to see them at Sally beauty product stores but it's been a while. I think I saw it on Oprah a long time ago too. I can't imagine a passionate moment with these things stuck onto your face!!! Laughing Or a hot day at the beach playing volleyball...TWAAAANNNNG there goes your facelift. Embarassed

These were shown in a makeup book by Kevyn Aucoin!

Have been trying to find them ever since, for photo shoots and theater friends.

One friend uses a swim cap, clear duct tape, and then the wig goes over the top. More for stage and theater than everyday, of course Surprised

Mon May 16, 2011 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
There is a site called fountainofyouthhairrollers that sell tiny rollers that pull back your sideburn hairs and sit under your hair.
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2011 10:21 am      Reply with quote
The tension needed to 'lift' the face would be much to stressful for your hair.
xtraysmom

Tue May 17, 2011 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
well, I'm not convinced of that.. I think my sideburn hairs could handle the pull. I have so many! Anyway, it would be nice for special occasions...job interviews etc..
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2011 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
I saw on Rupauls Drag race some of the people on that show they were using tape and some clips to pull back their hair and skin to have skinnier faces.

I am going to try some of these tips- but just for some pictures...not for every day.

I wear my hair up most of the summer too- so maybe will try some different ways of pinning my hair up!
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2011 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I do not know if I recommend this at all, I don't think I do because it creates tension, possible hair loss. Disclaimer spoken..

I once read this story in a magazine I can no longer remember about a hair stylist. He said a woman, just referred to as "a socialite", always came in before big events to get her hair done by him. She requested that two tiny braids at the temples be made and brought together in the back, hidden under the rest of her hair. The stylist said in the article that it had to have hurt terribly, but he said he was absolutely amazed because it took ten years off in five minutes.

Ten years ago when I read the article I thought it was insane. Now that I'm older... I think its a pretty darn good idea!! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2011 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
Wouldn't this actually damage the collagen over time since you're stretching it and holding it in place, weakening the collagen molecules?
System
Automatic Message
Wed May 22, 2024 12:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Luxe (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Peptide Day Therapy (50 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |