Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Any book lovers have the Kindle?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:24 am      Reply with quote
I never thought I would replace hardcopy books with the Kindle, but I'm out of room to put anymore books in my house so am seriously considering getting it. I'd love to hear pros and cons from anyone who has it.
Rockalilly
5% products discount

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
I have one! I absolutely love mine! I've had the first version since it came out, my hubby bought it for me as a Christmas present.

Sometimes I miss the idea of picking up a "book" and I still do once in a while but there are so many advantages to owning a kindle. It runs off a cell phone connection so I can buy a book anywhere, anytime. No waiting until Barnes and Noble opens in the morning, I can start a book at 2am! You can also get samples of any book and that's essentially the first chapter or two for free. There have been a few books that I've decided not to buy after reading the samples so I feel like I've saved money. Most of the brand new books are currently $9.99 but because of recent problems with publisher Macmillan, some prices might go up to $12.99 or $14.99, still cheaper than a hardback. I believe it has the largest book availability of any other electronic reader (Sony has been trying to get Amazon to open up their electronic book selection to them with no such luck).

The screen is also perfect for indoors and outdoors, I've been rather impressed with how easy it is to see in bright sunlight. I need adequate light to read in the dark but that would go the same for a paper book. It's not backlit and the screen doesn't flicker so it wont cause eye fatigue like computer screens do.

HTH! Very Happy

5% products discount

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I don't have the Kindle as such...but I have the Kindle Application on my iphone. I love it! I can download books anytime and read them anywhere. If I didn't have an iphone, I would buy a Kindle. Also, I've heard that if you have both an iphone and a Kindle, the application on the iphone will keep both in sync...so if you read on your iphone when you don't have a Kindle handy, you can pick up your Kindle later and it will know where you are in the book.

It's the wave of the future!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:57 am      Reply with quote
I don't have a Kindle as they work out to be very expensive to have shipped over to the UK, plus we pay an increased price for Amazon ebooks compared to the US. I must admit that I also dislike the fact that the Amazon ebooks are mostly limited to their own machine. However, I love the idea of being able to download ebooks via a wireless connection directly onto the Kindle.

Because of the constraints and expense, I bought a Sony Pocket Reader and absolutely love it.

Like Skippie, I'm in a situation where books have overtaken my house and wanted to switch to a clutter-free alternative. Also, I usually take 3 paperbacks away with me on holiday, so an electronic reader means a lot less space and weight is required.

DRM issues are a pain with whichever reader you choose. I wish they would sort it out. Plus I get annoyed that ebooks are so much more expensive, and many of the books I'd love to buy aren't available electronically. Fingers crossed that things will improve in the future.

I still love mine, though, and am glad I bought it!
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the input - I'm 80% ready to get one. I hate the expense of the ebooks too and also read that you can't pass an ebook along to someone else who has a Kindle. That bums me because I exchange books with friends alot. I also wonder if it's possible to download some of the free ebooks available on sites like Project Gutenberg because they're out of copyright. I happen to like reading older books just as much as new books.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:54 am      Reply with quote
With my Sony Reader, I was given a link to download 100 free books, and these are older, probably out of copyright, classics - which I shall certainly enjoy reading. Perhaps Kindle has the same kind of thing?

One thing to check is that whatever reader you choose will only cope with certain ebook formats (eg ePub, PDF, etc). You might want to check whether the Project Gutenberg files are compatible with your preferred reader before buying it. I have heard, however, that the standard of free books is often not so good - lots of typos, for instance - which is understandable as members of the public produce them.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
I found this great website that summarizes all sites out there where you can download free ebooks to your Kindle in the correct format, Project Gutenberg books included.

http://ireaderreview.com/2008/01/19/free-books-for-the-amazon-kindle/

I'm now 90% ready to get one but may have to wait for my tax refund.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie... I'm with you... I've been drooling over a Kindle for a while now. My SIL, who is just as much a book lover as me, recently got one... she goes NOWHERE without it... and my mom just got one for Christmas... I'm totally jealous! They both LOVE them! And all of us are big into our REAL books... I think the Kindle will allow for getting all those cheapy book, and prevent me from keeping some of them in hard copy... and ONLY getting my faves in hard copy... making my library more selective...

Might I also suggest, if you'd like to get USED books cheaply.

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php?n=1&r_by=my-get-away

I've exchanged about 20 books in the last 6 months, and it's only cost me about $1.50 a book! According to Paperback swap I've saved about $90.00 (used value) on books! SOME AWESOME BOOKS including hardbacks. In fact, I'm pretty much holding out for hardbacks now a days. I pick up books at garage sales, for $.10 - .50 and post them... get a credit when someone selects them, and I get something I want... They also function in the UK. And they JUST started a new book store that's basically overstock... haven't used yet...

DISCLOSER: If you use the link I gave above and you decide to sign up for FREE, I will get book credits... If you don't want to use my link but want to sign up anyway... just go to http://www.paperbackswap.com

Would love to hear what you think...

This set up in conjunction with a kindle... WOO HOO... more $$$ for cosmetics, heck more space too!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:39 am      Reply with quote
I'm sure you won't be disappointed, Skippie. I was dead set against electronic readers until my dad bought one and raved about it. Now I wouldn't want to be without one.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:28 am      Reply with quote
Isn't there a new gizmo out from Apple that's used for reading books and other stuff? Sorry I can't remember what it's called - but it was relatively inexpensive for its capabilities.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a member of paperbackswap.com, too, Claudia. The only problem is that if I like a book, I don't want to get rid of it because I know I'll want to re-read it later. That's one of the things that makes the Kindle so attractive to me.

Thanks for mentioning the Apple product, Keliu. I wasn't aware of it. It sounds wonderful but maybe a little more than I want to spend. It does have some advantages over the Kindle, such as ebook formats.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Thanks for mentioning the Apple product, Keliu. I wasn't aware of it. It sounds wonderful but maybe a little more than I want to spend. It does have some advantages over the Kindle, such as ebook formats.

I still don't know what I'm talking about here!! Rolling Eyes Do you have a link to it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Skippie wrote:

I still don't know what I'm talking about here!! Rolling Eyes Do you have a link to it?

I've found it, it's the Apple iPad.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

Why wouldn't this be better than a Kindle?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Ipad = way cool... starts at $499. OUCH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

After seeing it on TV it is fairly large, about the size of a netbook but it doesn't fold! Way too large for a purse much less your pocket!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:57 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:

After seeing it on TV it is fairly large, about the size of a netbook but it doesn't fold! Way too large for a purse much less your pocket!

DM

Yes, that's two things I didn't like - the size and the price. Plus, I just want it to read books - I'm not interested in all the other things the iPad will do. Same reason I don't buy a phone that does more than takes calls.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:05 am      Reply with quote
What about the Barnes & Noble Nook:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:19 am      Reply with quote
Oh, WOW, Keliu. I think you've hit pay dirt. Looking at the comparison between the Kindle and the Nook, the Nook has more of what I want. Thanks for finding that - I wasn't aware of it either.
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I have the kindle, love it. It is easy to read when working out because you can enlarge the print. The Ipad looks cool but way to expensive for a reader.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 am      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
I have the kindle, love it. It is easy to read when working out because you can enlarge the print. The Ipad looks cool but way to expensive for a reader.

I haven't seen yet if the Ipad has the glass screen like the iPhone but as an owner of an iPhone I know how careful you need to be not to drop it or do anything that might break it!

Skippie I felt the same and honestly never thought I would want the iPhone but while caring for my father 1) I lost my cell the first in 9 years Sad and having Internet access at my finger tips were my 2 big reasons for biting the bullet and buying one! It just made life easier now I am hooked on this silly thing! LOL

DM

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
If you live abroad, you can still buy a US Kindle and avoid international fees buy downloading from your computer and than transfering the books or mags to kindle with your usb port.

Also, does anyone have the new large one, meant for reading magazines and newspapers? I am lemming...
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
WOO HOO!!!

Amazon has released Kindle for the PC... I just downloaded the application... and now I can get kindle books on my PC... and if I ever get a kindle, It looks as though you can ago back and forth....

Check it out!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/pc/download

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:40 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
WOO HOO!!!

Amazon has released Kindle for the PC... I just downloaded the application... and now I can get kindle books on my PC... and if I ever get a kindle, It looks as though you can ago back and forth....

Check it out!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/pc/download

Thanks Claudia - I'll have to take a look at it. I haven't done my taxes yet so I'm still able to change my mind about which one I want at this point.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Yeah... but if you have a PC... which you do! Then the application is FREE FREE FREE!!!! Regardless, you can link your pc, and a kindle... according to directions.

Save your tax money for something else... (but yeah, the kindle would still be cool... as it travels in a purse!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:03 am      Reply with quote
I broke down and bought the Nook this weekend after seeing it demonstrated at Barnes and Noble. I can already tell I'm going to love it. And a bonus I just discovered is that I can download a new book from one of my favorite authors, Robin Hobb.

Thanks again, Keliu, for bringing the Nook to my attention.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |