Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

difficult time getting temple hair to hold color.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
patzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:35 am      Reply with quote
I use a Revlon's DIY hair color,(permanent to boot!), but the color will not take (maybe a few days)on the temple hair and I'm tired of touching up each week. Rolling Eyes
Would it be possible to mix some of the color with the Color Charm activator (using the included 'developer' for the rest of my hair which works just fine) to do the hair around my face..would that help the color to last longer?
llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:53 am      Reply with quote
hey patzy,

i know alot of older asian have problems with hair colour sticking to their hair. most asians have coarse hair and alway complain that drugstore/mainstream hair colour company products don't 'stick' to their greys.

all the older asians that i know, men and women, all use the asian brands which are imported. they says that the asain formulation is quite different. there are brands from china and japan. the chinese version is cheaper as well as being effective. you should be able to pick one up from an asian market.

it should cost from $5-10. the colour selection is limited from black to shades of brown. i've done my mother's hair... it is easy to use. it comes with two tubes... just squeeze out what you need, equal parts, and mix well. store the remaining tubes since it can be used again. it is the consistency of cream. apply with the hair brush supplied in the kit... wait 30 MIN (not certain), and then wash out.

everyone i know uses this for root touch ups and the whole head when required.

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
patzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for your input,but I'm Caucasian and am 'blond' so Asian colors won't work for me. Sad

Anyone think using the activator as I stated will work???
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
patzy wrote:
Thanks so much for your input,but I'm Caucasian and am 'blond' so Asian colors won't work for me. Sad

Try putting plain 30 or 40 volume peroxide on for 10 minutes to those areas before coloring to help open the cuticle first, then just color as usual! The hair there can be resistant, this helps your color take much better! You can buy the higher volume peroxide at any beauty supply store, including Sally's if you have one nearby.

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
patzy wrote:

Try putting plain 30 or 40 volume peroxide on for 10 minutes to those areas before coloring to help open the cuticle first, then just color as usual! The hair there can be resistant, this helps your color take much better! You can buy the higher volume peroxide at any beauty supply store, including Sally's if you have one nearby.

HTH
DM

That is a great tip...can't wait to try it on my mother!!!!Thanks Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Toby,

We used to do this on really resistant grey roots as well when I worked in a salon way back when, but it does the trick! Smile

DM

Toby wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
patzy wrote:

HTH
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Darkmoon: Can the peroxide suggestion given above be used for dark hair or is only safe for light hair color!
patzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
patzy wrote:

Thanks...sigh..I was at Sally's today to get the hair color gel and activator for brows...it is about 15 miles from me so I'll have to wait for another "need to go into town" trip to pick up the peroxide..Rural living here. OH there is a beauty shop about 5 miles..from here,I'll call them. What about Grey Magic??

HTH
DM
Cazziek
5% products discount

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
llina wrote:
hey patzy,

i know alot of older asian have problems with hair colour sticking to their hair. most asians have coarse hair and alway complain that drugstore/mainstream hair colour company products don't 'stick' to their greys.

all the older asians that i know, men and women, all use the asian brands which are imported. they says that the asain formulation is quite different. there are brands from china and japan. the chinese version is cheaper as well as being effective. you should be able to pick one up from an asian market.

it should cost from $5-10. the colour selection is limited from black to shades of brown. i've done my mother's hair... it is easy to use. it comes with two tubes... just squeeze out what you need, equal parts, and mix well. store the remaining tubes since it can be used again. it is the consistency of cream. apply with the hair brush supplied in the kit... wait 30 MIN (not certain), and then wash out.

I always do this with 20vol developer to soften up my wiry grays in the temple area...then proceed as usual. Oh, I do add neutral to the formula (50:50 ratio of regular toner and neutral)..it almost guarantees maximum coverage, expecially on grays..I'm not Asian, it should not matter what nationality.SORRY i WAS MEANING TO QUOTE THE OTHER POSTER..FOR SOME REASON THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS SCREEN JUMPING UP AND DOWN A LOT WHEN i TYPE..ITS WEIRD.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Starlight wrote:
Darkmoon: Can the peroxide suggestion given above be used for dark hair or is only safe for light hair color!

It works on any color hair just try and keep it on the virgin hair only and if you are concerned about it being strong you can mix 50/50 20 volume with 30 volume the first time and then work up, but we used 40 volume on a regular basis for grey roots that are resistant! Beauty Supply shops sell brushes that make the application just where you want it a breeze!

HTH
DM Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
You aren't the first with the screen issue! Go to tools or Internet options in your browser and click on compatibility view! That seems to have fixed the problem for most people! BTW Tip thanks to Havana8 Smile

HTH
DM

Cazziek wrote:
llina wrote:
hey patzy,

I always do this with 20vol developer to soften up my wiry grays in the temple area...then proceed as usual. Oh, I do add neutral to the formula (50:50 ratio of regular toner and neutral)..it almost guarantees maximum coverage, expecially on grays..I'm not Asian, it should not matter what nationality.SORRY i WAS MEANING TO QUOTE THE OTHER POSTER..FOR SOME REASON THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS SCREEN JUMPING UP AND DOWN A LOT WHEN i TYPE..ITS WEIRD.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:46 am      Reply with quote
I've always had that same problem of the screen jumping up and down. Thanks for that tip Dark Moon.

Will I need to click that every time I'm on EDS or is it permanent now?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:49 am      Reply with quote
I have the same issues of graying hair on my temples. I use to think the hair just grew faster there - not that the color didn't stick. I usually need to color my roots 1/2 way between my 6 wk cut & colors as my grays show up in my part and temples at the 3 wk mark. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:55 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
I've always had that same problem of the screen jumping up and down. Thanks for that tip Dark Moon.

Will I need to click that every time I'm on EDS or is it permanent now?

It should be permanent as long as you don't change it back! Smile

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
I have the same issues of graying hair on my temples. I use to think the hair just grew faster there - not that the color didn't stick. I usually need to color my roots 1/2 way between my 6 wk cut & colors as my grays show up in my part and temples at the 3 wk mark. Sad

foxe,
Mine grows out really fast too! Some have much more resistant grey than others and this works in that case to open the cuticle layer of the hair and help the color penetrate so it can take. I have seen in cases of resistant grey the color just won't take much at all on the new growth!

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
patzy wrote:

HTH
DM

Thanks! Made it back to Sally's and got the 30 vol peroxide and it worked!! By now my whites would be showing..but no!! Thanks for the tip!!

I used it on my eyebrows also as just using the activator didn't make the color hold..mixed two colors of Color Charm (Honey blonde and medium beige blond) and so far so good!!!)
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
patzy,

I am really happy it did the trick for you! Just an old stylists trick to tackle those pesky resistant grey roots Smile
Thanks for reporting back!

DM Smile

5% products discount

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
You aren't the first with the screen issue! Go to tools or Internet options in your browser and click on compatibility view! That seems to have fixed the problem for most people! BTW Tip thanks to Havana8 Smile

HTH
DM

Cazziek wrote:
llina wrote:
hey patzy,

Thanks DarkMoon, that really did do the trick.

Does anyone know how to prevent the following type of fall-out: whenever I apply chemicals (such as haircolor) to my temple area, it thins-out, even falls out. I guess its really delicate, but does grow back. I just hate going around with balding temples...I could stop coloring it, but can't stand the grays. The coloring wands (mascara-like tube colors) don't blend naturally w/brown hair. I apply the color to my temples last and only for a few short minutes...but still tends to fall out. Any suggestions?
Sammakenzi

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:26 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
patzy wrote:

HTH
DM

I am new to this forum and this is actually my first post. For above to work do I need to wash the peroxide after 10 min & dry my hair before applying the hair color or just apply the hair color on top of the peroxide?? Appreciate your help.

Thanks
bordnfl2
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip. I too have resistant gray in some areas and this is great news for me Smile
cat301
5% products discount

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have some resistant grays and I color at home. My stylist, who totally is cool and gives me advice for coloring at home, said I should put just the developer on my resistant gray only, wait 5 minutes, then mix the color with developer and apply color to my hair as usual, of course, starting at the roots. I do this with L'oreal Preference color and it works great!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:44 am      Reply with quote
Pre-treating with coconut oil can apparently protect hair from peroxide damage, somehow without blocking the dying effect.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Listen to DarkMoon, she knows what she's talking about with the peroxide pre-treatment. Another trick you can try is to switch to a brand that makes a double pigment neutral and make that part of your formula.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:49 am      Reply with quote
I had the same issue and my hairdresser told me to not use any styling products for 2 washes before colour was being done. This made a huge difference. Also using John Masters cider vinegar rinse post colouring helped to 'lock' the colour in.
gossamerwings
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have thyroid disease and can not use peroxide or ammonia products. It sucks. Anything with peroxide- even low peroxide- dries my hair out and makes it terribly coarse and frizzy. Which is very aging to me- the texture even more than the color.

Anyhow, when I do color my hair, I really like a very old product. "Loving Care". It contains no peroxide and no ammonia. And the awesome thing is that it has a long shelf life. So, you could buy a color that matches your shade for in between salon trips, and brush it on wherever you like with an old toothbrush. Really. I even do this sometimes on my part before heading to the gym. I style my hair and then use it if I need it. Now without heat its going to wash out, but, its really nice for quickie touch ups and doesn't damage my hair.

I am the only person I know who has to use this product, but I am happy with it.

Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |