Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Blushing (social anxiety) Can anyone recommend anything?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I am not sure if I have put this in the right section. I did do a quick search to see if this subject has been discussed before but couldn't find anything.

Ok, so I blush, alot. I am a very shy person and I suffer with depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I don't do well in crowded places, even one on one and because of all this I tend to blush and it's turned into an absolute nightmare. I blush too much, almost everytime I speak/get eye contact with someone I don't know (I can even blush when talking to someone I know well)... it's gotten to a point where it's completely taking over my life. I don't blush because I am embarrassed (like alot of people do) I blush for no reason, but it happens too often, and when it does happen of course I can feel it happening (the hotness in my face) which then does make me feel embarrassed so I blush even more/longer Sad.

Has/does anyone suffer with this? if so have you found any make up/skin care product that can help conceal it somewhat... or anything else I could possibly try?

I did once use an anti redness concealer all over my face (the green type) then after that had set I would put my normal foundation on. At that time I also had a tan which I think helped. Right now I am extremely pale, so when I blush the redness makes me look like a lobster and stands out pretty bad. To be honest I don't know if the anti redness concealer/cream helped, because when I blush I don't go looking in a mirror to check! God, if I did that I'd make myself feel worse Laughing
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have dealt with panic disorder for 20+ years and one thing that I find that helps is a natural product made by Hylands called Calms Forte. For blushing a good foundation will help, but you really have to find a way to overcome the anxiety. Smile

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon, Calms Forte sounds interesting. I search for this product, it seems to help sleep more soundly with less restlessness. Do I get the correct one?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
kikiw wrote:
DarkMoon, Calms Forte sounds interesting. I search for this product, it seems to help sleep more soundly with less restlessness. Do I get the correct one?

Yes on the package itself it does also give dosages for anxiety relief, and it's very helpful without using anti-anxiety meds. I find it at most health food stores but it's also available online. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:32 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I too have dealt with panic attacks for 10 plus years. The product that Dark Moon mentioned,Calms Forte, is an excellent product however, for myself the only thing that works is medication as prescribed by my Doctor. With his help my panic attacks and generalized anxiety disorder is under control.

I have a number of friends who use Calms Forte and they like it very, very much. It does work for them and I would say one of the best products on the market for anxiety (unless, of course, you're like me and need medication.) You can get it at just about any health food store or order it online. It's a very popular product.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:35 am      Reply with quote
You can also get information about anxiety on good websites like the Mayo Clinic one, or the Nation Institute of Mental Health one, NIMH. They tell you about various well regarded treatments and there are good self help books and techniques. Those are in the US.
lagomorph
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:11 am      Reply with quote
If you want to try something over the counter, theanine is great. It doesn't make you drowsy or affect your memory like benzos.

The neuropharmacology of L-theanine(N-ethyl-L-glutamine): a possible neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing agent.

Nathan PJ, Lu K, Gray M, Oliver C.

Behavioural Neuroscience Laboratory, Department of Physiology, Monash Center for Brain and Behaviour, Monash University, Australia. Nathan@med.monash.edu.au

L-theanine (N-ethyl-L-glutamine) or theanine is a major amino acid uniquely found in green tea. L-theanine has been historically reported as a relaxing agent, prompting scientific research on its pharmacology. Animal neurochemistry studies suggest that L-theanine increases brain serotonin, dopamine, GABA levels and has micromolar affinities for AMPA, Kainate and NMDA receptors. In addition has been shown to exert neuroprotective effects in animal models possibly through its antagonistic effects on group 1 metabotrophic glutamate receptors. Behavioural studies in animals suggest improvement in learning and memory. Overall, L-theanine displays a neuropharmacology suggestive of a possible neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing agent and warrants further investigation in animals and humans

I would love to try this,too, but last time I checked they weren't taking orders outside of Australia-

http://www.serenascent.com/index_files/brain.htm

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20092108-19600.html

Grass spray relieves stress
Friday, 21 August 2009
University of Queensland

Ever wanted to bottle the green fresh aroma of a forest? UQ researcher Dr Nick Lavidis has done just that with a new "eau de grass" spray soon to be launched on the market.

Serenascent, which smells like cut grass and claims to make the wearer happier and less stressed was launched in August by the Treasurer and Minister for Employment and Economic Development Andrew Fraser.

Mr Fraser congratulated researchers Dr Lavidis from The University of Queensland's School of Biomedical Science and retired pharmacologist Associate Professor Rosemarie Einstein for their seven-year research project.

“Dr Lavidis and Associate Professor Einstein have developed a spray based on scientific proof that when grasses and green leaves are cut at least five chemicals containing stress-relieving properties are released,” he said.

“The new Serenascent combines three of these chemicals to help reduce the harmful impact of stress on the nervous system.

“Prolonged stress can lead to a number of serious conditions like high blood pressure, heart problems, memory loss, anxiety, depression and the suppression of the body's ability to fight infections.”

Dr Lavidis said he first had the idea for Serenascent on a memorable trip to Yosemite National Park in America more than 20 years ago.

“Three days in the park felt like a three-month holiday,” he said.

“I didn't realise at the time that it was the actual combination of feel good chemicals released by the pine trees, the lush vegetation and the cut grass that made me feel so relaxed.

“Years later my neighbour commented on the wonderful smell of cut grass after I had mowed the lawn and it all started to click into place."

Dr Lavidis said that the aroma of Serenascent worked directly on the brain, in particular the emotional and memory parts known as the amygdala and the hippocampus.

“These two areas form the limbic system that controls the sympathetic nervous system,” he said.

“They are responsible for the flight or fight response and the endocrine system, which controls the releasing of stress hormones like corticosteroids.

“The new spray appears to regulate these areas.

“There are two types of stress. The first is when you are about to perform something or you know you are going to have to do something well. That's acute stress and can be a good form of stress.

“Bad stress is chronic stress and is associated with an increase in blood pressure, forgetfulness and a weakening of the immune system.”

Chronic stress has been shown to damage the hippocampus by reducing the number of synaptic connections between communicating neurons. Functionally this loss leads to a reduction in communication between neurons and a resultant loss of memory. In old animals this damage is permanent.

UQ PhD students Liz Butt and Ei Leen Leong have shown that animals exposed to Serenascent during stress avoid the stress-induced damage of the hippocampus.
lagomorph
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:47 am      Reply with quote
I love neuroscience. I recommend this link, if you want to read up on how genetic and environmental determinants can cause depression, anxiety,ect.
http://www.psycheducation.org/mechanism/MechanismIntro.htm

I'll paste a bit of it below.

12 Brief Chapters on the Brain Chemistry of Depression
(In plain English, 2-3 pages each)

"From Stress to Genes, from Mind to Molecules"

What causes depression? Is this a personal weakness, flaw, or failure? Is it something you should be able to fix on your own, "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps"? Certainly a lot of people think so, right? In many cases, there is probably some truth to their point of view. But there is now very good evidence, as you will see here in some stunning pictures, that many people's depression is strongly associated with factors beyond their control.

Mind you now, an explanation is not an excuse. Allow me to say that again, as this is one of the places people get stuck: an explanation is not an excuse. You can still take responsibility for what you've got, even if you're not the basis of how it got that way. Indeed, you have to take responsibility for all that you are -- there is no one else who can, for one thing. And our laws, and our ways of relating to one another, are based on the expectation that whatever's going on inside your skin is not an excuse for what your body ends up doing.

However, knowing how you may have come to be the way you are, at least in part, can often be helpful in coping with how you are. My patients say this often. So, this is the story of how researchers are working to understand depression, starting from social stresses like poverty and loss of loved ones, then working all the way through the brain systems involved to the level of cells and molecules and even some genes which appear to be related. If you want a short but thorough professional article to show skeptics who won't come here (Tom Cruise?), here's a good one http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/cmaj;180/3/305 same stuff you'll see here, but mine's in plain English.

Part One: From Genes to Experience
Chapter 1: Why are some people so affected by stress?
A big part of what causes depression is in a single gene.

Chapter 2: Short genes are involved in more than depression?
Yes, fear responses are also influenced by the same gene.

Chapter 3: Short genes affect alcohol use?
It may depend on childhood experience!

Chapter 4: Why are there "shorts and longs"?
What does this genetic difference do?

Chapter 5: Hey, where do I get my genes tested?
If you could, would you want to?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:32 am      Reply with quote
Master the art of Vizulazation!
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Kay2008

I know what it is like to dread talking to people because you turn bright red. I am really pale and when I blush it makes my face look like a beacon. One thing I found helped a bit was Lemon Balm tea. It is a natural anti-depressant and anti-anxiety herb, and it tastes a bit lemony. If you have a cup before you go out, you might find you are less reactive. It helps me to be less nervous, and as a result I blush less.
Not sure if you want to hear this, but several men I have known have told me that they love it when girls blush. They say they find it charming. I am still highly annoyed with myself for it though, no matter how "charming" someone else finds it!
Thoughtful
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi Have you tried a talking therapy like CBT to try and get to the root of the problem and find new ways of viewing yourself to increase your self esteem and confidence so you are not so affected by peoples views of you or your percieved views you think others have of you.I think that coupled with a good anti depressant to generally calm everything down would be a good place to start.I truly believe that we are what we think we are and that is programmed into us from an early age through our relationships with our parents, friends and society as a whole and if we dont ever question our belief system to see if it is realistically true then we can continue on and on repeating the same thinking pattern over and overwhich can cause so much unnecessary distress and unhappiness.

I do wish you well I understand how terrible anxiety and panic can be.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:52 am      Reply with quote
The problem is that when I blush my whole face turns red, not just the apples of my cheeks. Have considered surgery but not willing to take the considerable risks. After weighing the pros and cons, I think it would be wiser for me to deal with the problem through greater social exposure in the hope that over time, I would get less awkward interacting with people.
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
It seems to be true that greater exposure helps. After a summer off of school I used to be much worse - I even blushed when at the store and the cashier asked for correct change. After a few months I would get better, and by the end of the year, I would(almost)be like other people. I still find being in large crowds really uncomfortable, but I find the blushing tends to worsen after I have been away from people for a while.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |