Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
question about D&C and fibroids....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:06 am      Reply with quote
I had asked about fibroids here before and was wondering if anyone had more info.

I went to a new Dr yesterday. I had an ultrasound.. he suggested a D&C and a hysterectomy. Im 37.

The operation is definitely NOT going to happen.

I have heavy bleeding - but no pain. I just want ot know if anyone here would say I NEED the D&C? I did research and it looks like it is used to test for fibroids and clean the area after miscarriages... The Dr said he wants the test to check for cancer...

Are there other options to test for that???

thanks for any help.

PS I am looking for a new doctor but wanted to get opinions on this also.
Bermie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:50 am      Reply with quote
I have two large fibroids and am sechueled for a hysterectomy on 28th April.

I have been suffering for a few years now and didn't want the surgery either, but I have no choice now Sad

I have bad pain, bleeding constantly (literally) and am anemic.

I had a D & C about 14 months ago and they also inserted a Mirena at that time. Unfortunately it didn't work and I am finally just over it all!

Oh I am nearly 47 and I suppose I don't exactly need it anymore. I am keeping my ovaries as they said they look fine, but can't gaurantee anything til they have a look..
Sad

hope I have answered your question even a little bit. A D&C may well fix your problem, definately get another opinion if you are not happy.

oh and about the cancer side, I think when they do the d&c they send some tissue off for pathology. Don't think there is any other way of checking for sure. Maybe blood test, try not to worry (i know how it feels) but the chances of cancer would be extremely low. what type of cancer is he thinking anyway??

the are MANY reasons for heavy bleeding.

ok third edit Embarassed

fibroids are very rarely cancerous, just google, thats what I did Confused
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:34 am      Reply with quote
thanks...

Wow your situation is worse. You bleed every day??

I will get hte D&C (really dont want to) but only if its really needed. Just wanted to check if there were other options for checking for cancer. I did read its usually only an issue for woman over 55 though.

He didnt say the D&C would help the fibroids at all - just wanted to check for cancer.
Bermie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:41 am      Reply with quote
hi,

no I don't think d & c helped me, but it can help sometimes.
yep, it would be easier to count the day I HAVEN'T bled in the last 14 months! thats why I now have no choice.

at least if you have the d&c they can check everything out completely and you never know it might help.
apparently women walk around with fibroids all the time, dont even know they have them, it depends on different things, how big they are, where exactly the are.

I feel like I'm pregnant, not good!

good luck with it all..xx
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:50 am      Reply with quote
I had one 4 years ago for this reason and an abnormally large uterus. Best thing I ever did and I don't miss the constant and heavy bleeding.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:56 am      Reply with quote
I never had fibroids myself, but a very good friend did and the heavy bleeding also. She had the D&C which is at least an outpatient procedure, after switching doctors (first wanted to do the hysterectomy) anyway it cured the bleeding and pain for her. Within 4-5 years she went through menopause and never had any problems after the D&C. It works sometimes. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
MB... I'm NOT an OB (as you know), but I have fibroids... and my knee jerk reaction is that your Doctor is freakin' INSANE... (ok, he may have his reasons but I don't understand them AT ALL based on your post.)You have lots of questions to ask!

No idea if you want children.. but my understanding is that a D&C gone wrong can prevent a baby from ever attaching again. (research the reality of that!) And it only makes sense to me to do such a thing if you are removing a dead fetus. (ok wait... I can see that for others it was helpful... I've also heard of some sort of freeze? that you can do... No scraping, but prospective children are supposed to be out of the picture.) Also, with total disregard for whether or not you want children, your uterus supplies you hormones that you need. At 37 it seems unfair to have to go to hormones...

I'm not sure an ultrasound should be the definative DX for any of this. (but I'm certainly not up on the latest and greatest!)

I was given a test, name I can't recall... you go into radiology, they push dye through your cervix and watch it flow through your uterus, and check to see if your tubes are open. During this procedure they can see the fibroids, and determine the size. How big is yours??? HUGE?????

I had a handful of them. Keep in mind I was TRYING to get PG. They thought they were acting like a natural IUD. Then I had a hysteroscopy. scopes put through my belly button and one through my tummy, and my OB removed the offending fibroids. Yes, I was bleeding like no ones business prior to the surg. an that was completely resolved... It was INTENSE... missing work and such.

Yes, he tested the removed tissue for cancer,because that's what they do. But fibroids are NOT generally cancerous. From my understanding. (again, this is something to research...)

Uterus is full tact. Had twins later!

Upon C-section delivery my Dr. observed fibroids had returned. As they generally will. But did not remove them as a C-section with twins already causes lots of bleeding... no reason for more.

They may need to be removed later. AND mine are SMALLish.

NOW, I have a relative who had a HUGE fibroid. She looked about 5 months PG. The only option was to remove her uterus. AND she was done having kids. So, I'm not saying that it's totally out of the question. But It's not what I would jump to... Hey you have fibroids, lets yank your uterus.

I would ask around all the females you know in your area... Who they go to. Ask nurses who THEY go to. I know in the end, that I have one of the most AMAZING OB/GYN's that other than some background research I don't have to second guess him... He's always on the up and up...

And if you decide to stay with who you are going to now... you have the right, and he/she should entertain every single question that you have... Set an appt. for just that...

Best to you!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
wow.. thanks!!!

I forgot to mention he did say (after I asked) that he could put me on meds to put me thru early (REALLY early) menopause... which of course I dont want that either.

Ive asked my mom and shes talking to her friends about their experiences and doctors.

The surgery I had took out 2 fibroids the size of cantaloupes and at least one more if not 2 (cant remember). I had ZERO issues with those - I only knew they were there based on my yearly checkup. This Dr said the largest is about an inch around. and these are causing heavy bleeding - in the last 10 months ive had a few periods lasting 10 days!

BUT if its just bleeding I will wait till i find another doctor and a better solution. I decided im not even going back to this guy. If another dr suggest the D&C to stop the bleeding thats one thing - this guy didnt even say that was an option - just a cancer checking solution.

Im not planning on kids - so id be ok with any solution if losing that ability is a possibility.

thanks again!
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, if they are only an inch or so... they can be removed. But easily, I would imagine, with scopes and little invasion. And then test those.

Cantelopes... are big. So, it may well be that you ultimately will have your uterus taken. But, I'd personally wait until that's necessary. I wouldn't just pull your uterus 'cause the MIGHT get that big.

With 10 day periods, that are probably epic in nature... I would see about some blood work too...get your iron tested. You could be anemic by now...

I've been on meds that "induce" a menopause situation. All I have to say about that is... My husband is L-U-C-K-Y he was out of town for that 2 week time frame. He could be a dead man now. The moods swings were beyond anything I've EVER endured. I have a very vivid memory of a woman filing in some squeaky drawers next to my desk. I wanted to hurl her, the file and cabinets out the door... hope that's not a sign of what' to come naturally... if so... Run people.. RUN like the wind. And DH had better learn to breath quietly. REALLY REALLY quiet...LOl!

It's odd to me that your Dr is giving you undesirable solutions... Early meno, invasive surgery... I'm reminded of the fact that SOMEBODY always graduates at the BOTTOM of the class.

Again, I hope that you find a Dr. that gives you better choices... and that these really aren't your only choices... If they are.. then many thoughts and great vibes for successful procedures!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Fibroids are incredibly common. I thought the usual situation was that if you are young and plan on having children, they remove the fibroids - but if you are older, or are not planning on children they perform a hysterectomy.

I've been through all this - I bled constantly and it just about ruined my life. I ended up completely anemic so had to take huge doses of iron before they could perform the hysterectomy. After that, I didn't look back - it was the best thing that ever happened to me, not having periods was like a dream come true. I think I was about 43 at the time.

But I would definitely get a second opinion.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Hey Kelui, did they take your ovaries too?

I figure I'm headed down this path at some point... But don't want to deal with hormone supplements sooner than necessary

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:29 am      Reply with quote
I had a myomectomy about a year ago for fibroids. I obviously don't know your situation, but D&Cs are not the only option. In the myomectomy they basically make an incision similar to for a casearean but smaller. It leaves a big scar.

You can also have the fibroids removed laparoscopically. They make smaller incisions and the recovery time is much shorter.

You can have the tumors chemically shrunken. Or there's also a procedure that cuts off the blood flow to the tumor.

Here, wiki describes some procedures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uterine_fibroids

Let me know if you have any question, especially about the myomectomy.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:46 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

I figure I'm headed down this path at some point... But don't want to deal with hormone supplements sooner than necessary

Claudia,

I think with a good OB/GYN that is often a choice depending on risk factors, family history, blood tests ect. for ovarian cancer. I know many women that have had a vaginal hysterectomy leaving the ovaries intact, and avoiding hormonal issues, also a much less invasive surgery.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

No, they didn't take out the ovaries and I did have to have a vaginal hysterectomy because the fibroid was so large. However, due to some other issues I had to have my left ovary. and fallopian tube removed last year.

As to having a hysterectomy - "good riddance" I say! I had very heavy periods my entire life which made my life miserable. I saw no negatives to having a hysterectomy (although I had no intention of having more children). I told my gyno afterwards - now I walk past all those feminine hygiene products in the supermarket in absolute triumph! He just laughed. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Kelilu,

That's exactly how I felt about menopause, I wanted to throw a damn party! No more 7-9 day periods, cramps and the necessities that go with it all! With 4 kids I was totally done. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
I had a partial hysterectomy 11 years ago - I was 35 (still have the ovars so no hormonos replacement) Best think I did for myself.I don't miss at all the neavy bledding and the cramps and the PMS... And no worries as well;) .Anyway I was very desperate before the surgery so I can understand the feeling and at that time not too much information ....My understanding is that fibroids are not dangerouse but my grandmother passed away at 54 from ovarian cancer that started with heavy bleedings so I was very scared and didn't want to take any chances
Best of luck
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I knew there had to be other options. And early menopause?? I already have low tolerance for annoyances. But getting rid of the ovaries stops that from even happening then?

There are at least 2 other doctors in my area. Just have to make sure they take my insurance and if not Ill have to travel a bit.

I believe i did have the myomectomy. I have a huge scar across my abdomen. But the other options sound much better if i have to go that route.

Is it likely one day Ill have bad pains - or if it happens it will gradually occur - or not possible to say?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!! (very helpful as always)
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
mb935 wrote:
I knew there had to be other options. And early menopause?? I already have low tolerance for annoyances. But getting rid of the ovaries stops that from even happening then?

No sure what you mean - but my advice would be to hang on to the ovaries for as long as possible.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:23 am      Reply with quote
mb935
Do not let your doctor force your body into early menopause. I have terrible pain with my periods, and lots of problems in my pelvis. The doctors decided to stop my periods using Depo Provera. It destroyed the lining of my bladder. Now it feels like I have a urinary tract infection ALL THE TIME. I have to live with this, and take drugs just to combat what they did to my body. As well, the cessation of your period means you experience a drop in estrogen. You will no longer have the protection that hormone gives women against heart attacks (most occur in men and women who are menopausal) and your skin will change drastically. The drug they used on me, it turns out, has a huge list of terrible side effects, so if you do decide to go for it don't let them use it on you. Almost every woman who uses it experiences drastic weight gain even though they say you will only gain ten pounds. There are whole forums about this awful drug.
As for the D and C, my pain was reduced for about two months afterwards, but if you have no pain I don't really know what it can do for you. Research everything really well, because hormones have such far reaching effects. Take good care of your self!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:24 am      Reply with quote
I thought that Depo Provera is a contraceptive injection that is completely reversible. How did this manage to send you into early menopause? I don't understand why your period stopped either.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:05 am      Reply with quote
It is an injected contraceptive, primarily because it does stop the period. Using it consecutively there is a complete cessation of menstruation, considered artificial menopause. I did not receive it over years, and many of the side effects are not reversible. The damage done to me is permanent. Once you are injected, the drug is in your body for four to six months, and there is nothing that can reverse its effects.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:12 am      Reply with quote
alexes wrote:
It is an injected contraceptive, primarily because it does stop the period. Using it consecutively there is a complete cessation of menstruation, considered artificial menopause. I did not receive it over years, and many of the side effects are not reversible. The damage done to me is permanent. Once you are injected, the drug is in your body for four to six months, and there is nothing that can reverse its effects.

But after the drug has worn off, don't your periods come back and your hormones go back to normal? What side effects to you have that are irreversible?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Depo is what I took... It was a NIGHTMARE... I would not want to ever take it again.

Keliu... the side effects that are concurrent with depo will go away when you quit using it...Like the INSANE mood swings. However, I would imagine that if the lining of your bladder was damaged... it could easily be Perm. That's awful... I can't imagine the sensation of a UTI for Life... that is unforgivable!!!

I guess I would liken that to smoking... just cause you quit doesn't mean you didn't do enough damage to your lungs to induce cancer and the like...

5% products discount

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:31 am      Reply with quote
You can have a procedure called an endometrial biopsy done in the office to check for cancer instead of a D & C. There are also procedures that can be done to treat fibroids if they feel that is the cause of your heavy bleeding-- like an embolization procedure for fibroids. In addition both the Mirena IUD and continuous birth control pills if you have no contraindications to it can be used to reduce bleeding. If the fibroids are not too large sometimes an endometrial ablation is also an option to control the heavy bleeding. So there are options to hysterectomy if you don't want to go that route. Not all of them will cure the problem but most will make it tolerable.
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Alexes - I really am SO sorry to hear that. I hope you can find something to relieve your symptoms.. But THANK YOU for the warning!

Keliu- I was asking if removing the ovaries results in skipping menapause completely (didnt make that very clear)

busybeth - actually after reading your statement I now remember my other dr (who no longer takes my insurance) DID recommend birth control... Thanks for the info about the in office procedure (MUCH rather do something like that!!)

still looking for another doctor... but ALL this info is VERY helpful AND reassuring. THANKS
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |