Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Can I use retin-A after I applied Vit C serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
I usually use Retin A at night. After I got my 20% vit c serum, I've been applying it both moring and night after I cleanse my face. I haven't used retin A on top of vit c since i'm not sure if it can be mixed together. Do you know if it's ok to mix the two together?
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, you can apply underneath retin A. Apply after cleanser and toner.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
you mean first cleanse, then apply vit c, let dry and then apply retin A?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn,
Have you tried Vit C in the morning?

Which is more beneficial: a.m. or p.m. application? Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:11 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:

Yes, this is how to do it. The C and A are a great combo for building collagen, which is why I use my C at night and have for many months now.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:52 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Natalyn,
Have you tried Vit C in the morning?

Which is more beneficial: a.m. or p.m. application? Thanks!

PBI....It is know thought that LAA serums should be applied at night because they quickly oxidize when exposed to light.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
Do you know if it's ok to mix the two together?

Technically, you can mix them, but I personally would not do it. These are two very potent actives, so it's better to let them work by themselves, in my opinion.

rileygirl wrote:

Yes, this is how to do it. The C and A are a great combo for building collagen, which is why I use my C at night and have for many months now.

riley, which Vit C serum do use now? Have you tried DIY Vit C? I made one a few days ago ( followed one of Kassy's simplest recipes EXACTLY) and burnt my skin Confused
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:07 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

riley, which Vit C serum do use now? Have you tried DIY Vit C? I made one a few days ago ( followed one of Kassy's simplest recipes EXACTLY) and burnt my skin Confused

I use Skinceuticals C, E, Ferulic. This is what works for me, so I have chosen to stick with it (shock, I know!!). I am not into DIY, so I have not tried anything like that. (Sorry to hear the C burnt your skin. Maybe you could post on the DIY thread and ask for some help with it?)
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I use vit C both morning and night. I did not know about losing its effect in the morning. The instruction states that I should use it both morning and night, so I follow the instruction. Embarassed I apply sunscreen after I let the vit c serum dry on my skin though. It dries quickly since it's like water. I do notice the skin tightening effect so far.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
I use vit C both morning and night. I did not know about losing its effect in the morning. The instruction states that I should use it both morning and night, so I follow the instruction. Embarassed

I wouldn't worry about that. Most people apply their C in the morning and follow that with sunscreen.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Natalyn wrote:

Thanks for the great info..I'll start doing this at night...do you use C in am as well? Do I have to wait 20 minutes after cleansing to apply vit c then wait again to add vit A?
Lou
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:

Thanks for the great info..I'll start doing this at night...do you use C in am as well? Do I have to wait 20 minutes after cleansing to apply vit c then wait again to add vit A?
Lou

I will use C in the am only in the summer months if I am going to be outside for a long time, as the C helps your sunscreen with better protection. I do not wait 20 minutes ever! I wash my face, and apply the C, wait about 3 minutes and then apply whatever else I am going to apply on top of it. HTH! Very Happy
babybebe
5% products discount

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
if we use vitamin C in the day time, would we be increasing our risk to sunburnt?

our skin gets sunburn or sensitive when apply vitamin C and expose ourselves to sun?
babybebe
5% products discount

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
can i ask what benefits of using the retin-A?
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:25 am      Reply with quote
Babybebe,

http://www.skinacea.com/retinoids/r_menu.htm

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/skintype/6-great-reasons-use-retinoid

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/fashion/30skin.html?_r=3
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Not with C, as C increases sun protection. A derm once told me that if you got exposed to the sun, without sunscreen, the thing to apply as soon as possible was Vit C, as it would stop the damage doing its worst, and fight the free radicals.

Its Vit A that increases the risk of being sunburnt, not Vit C - thats the opposite.
babybebe wrote:
if we use vitamin C in the day time, would we be increasing our risk to sunburnt?

our skin gets sunburn or sensitive when apply vitamin C and expose ourselves to sun?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:03 am      Reply with quote
I've heard that the reason for waiting 20 minutes after applying vit C serum is to get the exfoliation effects. You can still get the other anti-oxidant benefits of the C without the wait.

Some days I can wait 20 minutes, other days I can't...
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:06 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
I've heard that the reason for waiting 20 minutes after applying vit C serum is to get the exfoliation effects. You can still get the other anti-oxidant benefits of the C without the wait.

Some days I can wait 20 minutes, other days I can't...

thanks I thought I read somewhere that I needed to wait for 20 minutes before applying vit C...and it usually is very difficult for me to do so..Glad to hear I wasen't going crazy and that I don't have to wait any longer.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:18 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Loumomofthree wrote:

Lou

I will use C in the am only in the summer months if I am going to be outside for a long time, as the C helps your sunscreen with better protection. I do not wait 20 minutes ever! I wash my face, and apply the C, wait about 3 minutes and then apply whatever else I am going to apply on top of it. HTH! Very Happy

Thank-you, I think you mentioned that you live in South Florida as well. I do spend alot of time outdoors (I run outside and have young children) I am using the Neutrogena ss you recommended. Do you think I should use the Vit C at night (with vit A) as well as during the day (with ss) or only one or the other..It seems to have great benefits for both...hmmmm...

Thanks for all your GREAT advice

Lou
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:

Thank-you, I think you mentioned that you live in South Florida as well. I do spend alot of time outdoors (I run outside and have young children) I am using the Neutrogena ss you recommended. Do you think I should use the Vit C at night (with vit A) as well as during the day (with ss) or only one or the other..It seems to have great benefits for both...hmmmm...

Thanks for all your GREAT advice

Lou

You are most welcome! I am in Orlando, Lou. I think if I were you I would do both, as long as it doesn't irritate your skin. But another option for you, you could always use the C in the morning during our horribly hot summer months, and when it turns a little cooler and the sun is less strong switch the C to night before your A.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
You are most welcome! I am in Orlando, Lou. I think if I were you I would do both, as long as it doesn't irritate your skin. But another option for you, you could always use the C in the morning during our horribly hot summer months, and when it turns a little cooler and the sun is less strong switch the C to night before your A.[/quote]

Thanks once again...I really appreciate all your help.

Lou
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all, I love how the vit c makes my skin feel tight. For long time users of vit c serum, has any of you seen any benefit like evening out the skin tone or reducing the age spots from using the vit c for a long time?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
Hi all, I love how the vit c makes my skin feel tight. For long time users of vit c serum, has any of you seen any benefit like evening out the skin tone or reducing the age spots from using the vit c for a long time?

Skinceuticals C, E, Ferulic did this for my skin after using it faithfully for 3+ months. However, I personally do not think it is the C in that formula that caused the fading of age spots. I think it was either a combination of E and Ferulic acid, or 1 of those ingredients by themselves. (I think this because I have used many C products and none of them have every made a difference on my skin, other than the SC, so this is my own theory for my own skin.)
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
As I understand it, you should use a cleanser with a ph in the 5.5 range to get the most out of your C serum - If you want to use it straight away after cleansing, without a wait.
If your cleanser has a higher ph, the C (which is a low ph) will not work as well if put on directly after cleansing. The wait time after cleansing is intended for more alkaline type cleansing formulas (ie: those with a higher pH value)...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Have you tried DIY Vit C? I made one a few days ago ( followed one of Kassy's simplest recipes EXACTLY) and burnt my skin Confused

Just in case you didn't see my answer in the other thread, I'll cross post it here for ya;

Kassy_A wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:
I've made a very simple Vit C serum and it has burned my skin. Embarassed This is the recipe I was following:

1 tsp LAA
3 tsp distilled water
1 tsp aloe vera gel
1/4 tsp Jojoba oil

step1: LAA + slightly warm water = mix until the crystals are dissolved

step2: Aloe + jojoba = mix
step3: mix the two mixes

I then put the mixture in the fridge.

What possibly went wrong .. What caused the burn?

The 'burn' is because you didn't use enough liquid, to accomodate the 1 tsp of L-AA.

To have a 15% concentration you must put 1 tsp of L-AA into just about 6 tsp of liquid (1oz).

Math is my weakness, but your formula looks to be in the neighborhood of a 25(ish) % concentration Crying or Very sad (4 1/4 tsp of fluid, based on what you wrote)

Just for the record, that's not even close to the recipe I posted though Sad

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |