Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I'm sick and tired of acne! Thinking of acne.org regimen or?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
shoootemupx

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:01 am      Reply with quote
This is gonna be kind of longish. But I'm just so sick and tired of my skin. I'm only 18 but it's been a weigh down on my confidence for my whole life so far. The last time my skin was 100% clear was when I was about 11? Probably even younger. This is getting so out of hand. My skin is extremely oily & breaks out SO easily. But products like proactiv completely strip it and leave it peeling. I've tried tons of products. From "cheap" brands like Clean n Clear to super expensive brands like Bioelements & Chanel! The most I've spent on a cleanser was $44. This is getting insane. I'm more then willing to spend enough money to get clear skin though. Did I mention the redness? What I want is just clear & calm skin. I haven't had that in years & its embarrassing.

So I came across acne.org and heard about their regimen. I read up on it and it sounds like it can definitely either do the job or ruin your skin. The whole regimen costs about $40 all together. Has anyone ever heard of this? What do you recommend I do?
Any regimen ideas if you never heard of acne.org?

I'm desperate! I'm moving in less than 5 months and would like to start over new in a whole new place CLEAR!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:09 am      Reply with quote
I have definitely heard of it and have even considered trying it in the past. However, I was always deterred from it because of the potential of irritation due to the benzoyl peroxide. It either works or it doesn't. I even heard one story from a member who suffered severe burns from using it and his face became so red and patchy, it was worse than acne! In my opinion, I would go for Paula's Choice Clear line. She uses both BHA and benzoyl peroxide to clear acne, which seems to be a more effective treatment. Plus, her formulations are gentler
shoootemupx

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm, I just looked up the Paula's Choice & it seems like it'd definitely be worth a shot. Thank you! I'll try it out (: Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:38 am      Reply with quote
I gave to my daughter Accutane when she was 15 - just for 2 months and ofcourse under doctor's control . She is 21 now and she never had any problems since.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
I'm of the thought that the BP that acne.org pushes oxidizes on the skin and may prematurely age the skin. I have struggled with acne my whole life (and having a million and one topical allergies to common ingredients like salicylic acid doesn't help), and it wasn't till I started:

1.) retin-a. The first month was H E L L, but underneath all that flaky, red, painful skin was lovely colored (but acne scarred) skin, I couldn't even believe it was on my face for about six months.

2.) DIY. I have allergies like something fierce. I got a staph infection that lasted six months from a harsh toner once to give an example. DIY allowed me to formulate things for me, without all the crap.

It took me a decade to figure it all out, but back then there was nothing like this community to give you a boost. Everyone's so very different, but these are my HGs (can I please have 2?)

Sorry about the novel. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
I think that you can take a try at [Baviphat] Apple AC Therapy Sleeping Pack
this is really popular, and many review saying that it works well
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:31 am      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
I'm of the thought that the BP that acne.org pushes oxidizes on the skin and may prematurely age the skin. I have struggled with acne my whole life (and having a million and one topical allergies to common ingredients like salicylic acid doesn't help), and it wasn't till I started:

1.) retin-a. The first month was H E L L, but underneath all that flaky, red, painful skin was lovely colored (but acne scarred) skin, I couldn't even believe it was on my face for about six months.

2.) DIY. I have allergies like something fierce. I got a staph infection that lasted six months from a harsh toner once to give an example. DIY allowed me to formulate things for me, without all the crap.

It took me a decade to figure it all out, but back then there was nothing like this community to give you a boost. Everyone's so very different, but these are my HGs (can I please have 2?)

Sorry about the novel. Laughing

Do you remember what sort of reaction you had when you used bha?
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:46 am      Reply with quote
I 2nd Paula's Choice.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:52 am      Reply with quote
For me, BHAs cause contact dermatitis within a day or two of use. Raised, bumpy, severely itchy patches that start to ooze if not treated. I've had to use prescription cortisone at least a dozen times because apparently I didn't learn in my 20s. I've always been jealous of those that can handle them, it seems like such a quick fix for acne. I have a pale area of scarring on my right cheek from one bout of contact dermatitis.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Do you remember what concentration and how often you used it? At first, I got the same reaction because I used too much too often. But now I started using the 1% every other day and wash it off after 10 minutes and my skin can tolerate it now
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Do you remember what concentration and how often you used it? At first, I got the same reaction because I used too much too often. But now I started using the 1% every other day and wash it off after 10 minutes and my skin can tolerate it now
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:04 am      Reply with quote
Have you gone to a Derm or skin doctor?
Usually those are covered by your health system, I think....at least where I am anyways.

Well,I don't have too much skin advice,but I have gone to derms tons of times,things they told me to use were ok, but I think I'm doing ok using some high end and some natural things now.
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:23 am      Reply with quote
well, I went to a derm and after a second attempt of a prescription solution, we topped on the Clindets (for info http://www.drugs.com/mtm/clindets-pledget.html)

It helps without irritation.

I also use Retin A topical, but it seems to help best in combination with Clindets

Be cautious of Accutane, it is linked to birth defects, if a using mother becomes pregnant, and even to infertility problems of girls born from women who ever used Accutane prior to pregnancy (meaning a second generation effect). So for you being that young, take a precaution for the sake of your future kids.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:13 am      Reply with quote
ella-stella wrote:
well, I went to a derm and after a second attempt of a prescription solution, we topped on the Clindets (for info http://www.drugs.com/mtm/clindets-pledget.html)

It helps without irritation.

I also use Retin A topical, but it seems to help best in combination with Clindets

Be cautious of Accutane, it is linked to birth defects, if a using mother becomes pregnant, and even to infertility problems of girls born from women who ever used Accutane prior to pregnancy (meaning a second generation effect). So for you being that young, take a precaution for the sake of your future kids.

While the risks of accutane are present, they are still very low. It is just a matter of whether or not you are willing to take the risk. The major side effect is mostly extreme dryness in the skin
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:00 am      Reply with quote
I second Paulas Choice too. You need the BHA 2%liquid which works best for stubborn acne IMO. Over that a thin layer of the blemish fighting moisturizer. Spectacular results! I kid you not.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have two friends who were plagued with acne in their teens and 20's. Erno Lazlo products cleared them up in about 6 weeks, after a purging period. Though they've gone on to other brands for different things, they will never give up their Sea Mud soap and Heavy Controlling Lotion for bedtime use because your skin produces most of its oil while you're asleep. For something less expensive, there is Rezamid for spot treating zits. This is a behind-the-counter acne lotion that you have to ask the pharmacist for. It will dry up a pimple within a day or two and then you'll only have to deal with the flake it leaves behind. It's tinted so you can also use it during the day. But remember, your bedtime routine is the most important time to treat breakouts.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Even the OTC acne cleansers of my youth (1.5 to 2% Salicylic acid) thats only meant as a rinse causes huge problems for me. Leaving it on for any amount of time is out of the question, I've just given up on them completely.

shoootemupx- have you ruled out food sensitivities? Prime suspects are dairy, gluten, and peanuts.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Do not take Accutane, it is a chemotherapy drug. Work on your diet first. I believe my adult acne may have been caused by veganism. Look in to blood type/paleo for more info. Paleolithic eating is really best for blood group O which is what I am. You could try to add progesterone 2 weeks out of your cycle to balance your hormones naturally. If nothing else works try the birth control.pill.
talyta wrote:
I gave to my daughter Accutane when she was 15 - just for 2 months and ofcourse under doctor's control . She is 21 now and she never had any problems since.
CarrieH
5% products discount

Mon May 02, 2011 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
UNBLEMISH Regimen. Clinically proven to combat the entire acne cycle, this sophisticated regimen helps unclog pores, clears breakouts and calms your complexion to keep pimples, blackheads and post-acne marks from making an unwelcome appearance on your face.

My husband uses it day and night. He loves it and lets me know when he is running low. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 12:33 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Gretchen. You should work on your diet first. You should avoid oily and greasy foods. Take plenty of fruits and vegetables, like carrots, pineapples, oranges, mangoes, apples, etc. They will provide your body the required nutrient to get rid of acne.
Accutane is the drug that has the potential to clear severe acne permanently after one course of treatment. But it doesn't work for everyone, and some patients need more than one course of treatment.
Margaritis
5% products discount

Sat May 07, 2011 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
If your acne is very severe you should ask help from a dermatologist that specilaises in comsetics.
I believe that laser treatment is the best but expensive.
There are some very powerful oral medications with good results that the doctor could prescibe to you but be careful of the side effects
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

Honestly I wouldn't try the acne.org regimen simply because of the amount of benzoyl peroxide they recommend using.

You're only 18 and you don't have to worry about this yet, but benzoyl peroxide is very aging for the skin - I wouldn't want you to regret wrinkles later on that might have been prevented had you avoided their regimen.

As far as acne goes, I think how you treat it really depends on where it is on your face. Cheeks/Chin is more generally hormonal acne, while acne on your forehead could be more due to diet.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
mur wrote:
Hi,

Honestly I wouldn't try the acne.org regimen simply because of the amount of benzoyl peroxide they recommend using.

You're only 18 and you don't have to worry about this yet, but benzoyl peroxide is very aging for the skin - I wouldn't want you to regret wrinkles later on that might have been prevented had you avoided their regimen.

As far as acne goes, I think how you treat it really depends on where it is on your face. Cheeks/Chin is more generally hormonal acne, while acne on your forehead could be more due to diet.

Yeah benzoyl peroxide can cause some radical damage, but it's the only effective treatment approved by the FDA. However, I would leave acne.org as the last resort because there have been some pretty bad side effects. At the same time though, it's the only thing that has worked for people so it's your call
Elvisshops
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
As some of the others have suggested, see a derm if you can. Accutane is a last-resort treatment. I can't imagine a derm suggesting that as the first plan of attack. Antibiotics are more likely, in addition to rx topicals.

Acne is such a pain. I can appreciate your frustration. Hang in there and keep us posted.
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
You might also try seeing a naturopath or a TCM doctor -- I'm in BC, Canada, and over here they are regulated by the government like regular medical doctors are, so you know you won't end up with just some quack.

They might help you with remedies that have less drastic side-effects.

I've found that straight 100% tea-tree oil used on my face helps a zit go away much faster if I do break out, so that might help.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |