Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I need your opinion on my situation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2011 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

I registered in the class that I have to take this summer in order to continue with my degree (it is a prerequisite for other classes). I had a first class today and I felt that my prof doesn't like my nationality. He made a lot of jokes about me, not really bad jokes, but it made me feel uncomfortable. The fact that everyone else also noted him picking on me made me even more worried. Some people even asked me about why he is like that with me.

I am not sure what to do. If I register with another prof I will have to change my work hours and it is very difficult to do, considering I already modified my hours for this semester. My boss would not be happy to accommodate my schedule again. Plus, all sections are already full and I may not be able to get into the other class. In case if I drop this course I will lose two semesters in order to continue my education.

I don't want to risk it, but at the same time I have to make a decision. I am trying to look at his jokes as they are just jokes, but what if it is hatred and I will end up paying the price... He didn't joke like this with anyone but me! My intuition tells to change or drop the class, but again it could be a very wrong decision.

I have a few days to think about it before the deadline to drop or change the section of the course.
Has anyone experienced similar situation? What would you do, take the class with this prof or drop it?

Thanks for your suggestions!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2011 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
You have two options:

1. drop/switch the course to an environment that you feel comfortable learning in and therefore, better results in class without having to worry about harassment

2. continue with the class and complain to the dean about the harassment. If he doesn't like what you did and decides to grade you unfairly, take your paper to the dean and tell him that you feel you were treated differently and want a second opinion on your grade(s)
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2011 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know the specifics- jokes or tone of voice.. but maybe he feels comfortable joking around with you because he has friends of the same nationality so he thinks he "knows" the culture or he has a crush on you?

If you really feel uncomfortable, tell him you don't know how to interpret his jokes and get a feel for his reaction because you don't want your grades jeopardized. Or you can always talk to a higher up like a dean
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2011 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
Talk to someone before you get your first mark! If you got a really bad feeling paraphrase the teacher's jokes and express your feelings in an email to the teacher with a CC to the dean.
evilemma

Wed May 04, 2011 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
It's entirely possible that the prof. doesn't realize he is being inappropriate. I think the best course of action would be to be assertive and have a conversation with the prof. after class, stating that his joking in regards to your nationality makes you feel uncomfortable. At this point he should apologize and promise to not make those jokes in class. If he is dismissal of your complaint, I would talk to whomever is head of the department, and bring it to their attention. Changing your class is inconvenient for you, and does not help the prof. to realize he is being inappropriate, nor address the issue at hand. Good luck!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 04, 2011 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
evilemma wrote:
I think the best course of action would be to be assertive and have a conversation with the prof. after class, stating that his joking in regards to your nationality makes you feel uncomfortable.

I agree. If you are attractive, he may just be flirting with you so, if anything, you could get a BETTER grade!

Universities are very liberal and politically correct (to the point of absurdity sometimes), so I doubt he is being racist.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 04, 2011 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your support and suggestions!

SoftSkin, he is definitely not a racist towards me, we are both white\Caucasian. You may be right and he is just flirting (I hope this is that and not some kind of hatred).

Angelina, I have a class tomorrow, I will see if he continues with the jokes. If it doesn't stop I will try to talk to him and explain how uncomfortable his comments make me feel.
I hope everything will be OK.

Thanks again for all your help! EDS community is great!

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |