Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Products that can be used with Retin A Micro?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
klee96

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hello!
I plan to start using Retin A Micro .04% to help with my clogged pores. Not too long ago I tried the oil cleansing method that I read about on this forum, and my face went crazy!! Very upset about that. Sad

I was wondering what products can be used in conjunction with Retin A Micro. Can you still use any products (i.e. cleansers, treatments) that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid?

I plan to use Retin A Micro only at night time but I am used to using a treatment that contains salicylic acid during the day, under my makeup.
If I use Retin A Micro, is it recommended that I only use moisturizer during the day?
Thanks in advance. Any advice is MUCH appreciated!
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:45 am      Reply with quote
Retin-A cannot be used with either of those products although I'm not too sure about BP. But acids of any kind will inactivate the Retin-A. You might find that you don't even need an exfoliant because Retin-A can be a bit irritating. Exfoliating your skin can make that worse, but not always - depends on the individual. You can use moisturizer anytime you want, just have to wait about an hour before you apply it though.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:44 am      Reply with quote
The Micro is time-release, so anything you layer on after that will affect the efficacy. Ideally, you should be using the Micro on its own at night, and yes leave moisturizer to during the day.

But we don't live in an ideal world Razz Different strokes for different folks. If the irritation gets very bad and using a moisturizer on top of the Micro makes things better, then that will be what works for your own skin. Good luck! Smile
klee96

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:56 am      Reply with quote
Thank you both so much for your advice!
Am I to understand that when using Retin A, this should be used with nothing else medicated?

I plan to ease myself into using Retin A Micro.
On the days that I am not using Retin A, is it safe to use a medicated cleanser and treatment with either bp or sa?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:10 am      Reply with quote
You can use medicated treatments as well, just depends on what. And if you do, you should again allow the Retin-A to sit on your face by itself for at least an hour.

And yes, you can use your SA and BP on nights that you don't have Retin-A on.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Regular Retin A (non time release) you would be able to layer on moisturizer after it absorbs (about 1 hour) with less concerns about affecting the efficacy as compared to the time release Micro.

BP deactivates tretinoin in both regular Retin A and Micro. If you have to use BP, use at opposite ends of the day (am/pm) or on different days. Don't layer together.

With SA it depends on the specific product. Some SA are in emollient base and that might affect the Retin A. If you are not sure, just don't use them together.

It's fine to use BP or SA on your days off Retin A. But do note that both BP and SA have the potential to irritate skin, and that might add on to the irritation you would already be getting from the Retin A. Hths! Smile
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Before when I tried using Micro .025 daily, my neck got itchy red blotches like eczema so I used copper peptides AM and squalane with retinol PM. In a few days it cleared up. I just started using LacSal on alternate nights to keep the flaky skin at bay. So far no irritation. I also use my Clarisonic at night then wait half an hour before using any products.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Instructions for Retin A Micro:

Quote:
You should avoid washing the skin treated with tretinoin for at least 1 hour after applying it.

Avoid using any topical medicine on the same area within 1 hour before or after using tretinoin. Otherwise, tretinoin may not work properly or skin irritation might occur.

Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, it is especially important to avoid using the following skin products on the same area as tretinoin:

Any other topical acne product or skin product containing a peeling agent (such as benzoyl peroxide, resorcinol, salicylic acid, or sulfur)
Hair products that are irritating, such as permanents or hair removal products
Skin products that cause sensitivity to the sun, such as those containing spices or limes
Skin products containing a large amount of alcohol, such as astringents, shaving creams, or after-shave lotions
Skin products that are too drying or abrasive, such as some cosmetics, soaps, or skin cleansers
Using these products along with tretinoin may cause mild to severe irritation of the skin. Although skin irritation can occur, some doctors sometimes allow benzoyl peroxide to be used with tretinoin to treat acne. Usually tretinoin is applied at night so that it does not cause a problem with any other topical products that you might use during the day. Check with your doctor before using topical medicines with tretinoin

http://www.drugs.com/cons/retin-a-micro-topical.html

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
thank you all!! Smile
klee96

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
thank you all!! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |