Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Luxe (30 ml / 1 floz) Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz)
soy isoflavones - anyone have good results?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:
About clogged nozzles: I am still sometimes getting this with my serums and perfumes.

How best to unclog a nozzle? I was thinking of keeping one spray bottle of plain grain alcohol and using that to clear out my nozzles?

BFG

Thats a great idea, I just run clogged nozzles under hot water, seems to work fine!

That is my method, plus just wiping the nozzle off after use helps to prevent it in the first place!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I wanted to use a liposomal soy formulation, so I purchased this one instead of tinkering with DIY:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SN165/ItemDetail

BFG

BFG, can you give us your thoughts on this product after you have used it awhile. I would be interested in your opinion. Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I wanted to use a liposomal soy formulation, so I purchased this one instead of tinkering with DIY:

BFG

I would be skeered that it would mess with hormonal balance since its marketed as primarily an estrogen supplement.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:50 am      Reply with quote
As far as MakingCosmetics so-called "liposomes" *shrug* do what you want! Its your money. lol. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

BFG

I love swansonvitamins.. I buy most of my supplements from here and a few from iherbs.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie, could you please look at my last post on page 4. I was asking for your opinion about adding soy isoflavones to my DIY spritz but you might have missed it. hmm
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
I have soy extract 40% from bulkactives, I never ended up adding to my DIY but I just smelled the powder, it has spicy herbal smell, nothing disgusting.. some people also find sea kelp ferment smell too much too but that does not bother me even a little bit... perception of odor is very objective and varies from person to person...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
fawnie, could you please look at my last post on page 4. I was asking for your opinion about adding soy isoflavones to my DIY spritz but you might have missed it. hmm

I am seeing the powder advertised elsewhere as water soluble!

Here is the info from BA:

Product details

Assay: Total Isoflavones 40%
(DAIDZIN, GLYCITIN, GENISTIN, DAIDZEIN, GLYCITEIN, GENISTEIN)
Botanical Source: Soybean
Solubility: water, non-denatured ethanol
Suggested percentage: 3% to 5%

Storage: Store in cool and dry place. Keep away from direct strong light and heat.
Country of origin: China

http://www.bulkactives.com/soyisoflavones.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
The estrogenic activity of soy isoflavones is not very high, and the efficacity of creams like the soy cream for things like hot flushes is barely more than a placebo. The other ingredients dong quai and black cohosh are according to my herbals used as 'hormone balancer', black cohosh is something you would really want to research carefully before taking it as a supplement.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/113/7/1034.short
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Does anyone know if I could add soy isoflavones to a DIY spritz? I'm wanting it for soothing/lightening/collagen stimulating properties and soy is good for my rosacea. I'm specifically talking about the 40% soy isoflavones from bulkactives. It says it's water soluble. But then people say it stinks. Confused I've seen the 98% genistein on sea, but I'm not sure that would have the same lightening/soothing properties. (From what I've read, it seems genistein is more just for collagen stimulating?)

Sorry EG I missed that I guess. 40% soy isoflavones have how much genistein? Genistein is the main active in isoflavones so that is the one we are concerned about no matter what you plan to use isoflavones for. "Genistein exhibits antioxidant, antiangiogenic, and immunosuppressive activities."

You could try either one I guess but the 98% genistein has to be dissolved in NaOH and then ETOH so its a bit tricky. So if you want an easy one, the water sol would be your choice.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
The estrogenic activity of soy isoflavones is not very high, and the efficacity of creams like the soy cream for things like hot flushes is barely more than a placebo. The other ingredients dong quai and black cohosh are according to my herbals used as 'hormone balancer', black cohosh is something you would really want to research carefully before taking it as a supplement.

I know Lotus,

I am overly careful due to very high (barely normal) haematocrit and hemoglobin levels!

Just for me and both my daughters blood clots are not worth the slightest risk!

I am not saying others should avoid using it at all! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:

thank you for clarifying Lotuseater!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Does anyone know if I could add soy isoflavones to a DIY spritz? I'm wanting it for soothing/lightening/collagen stimulating properties and soy is good for my rosacea. I'm specifically talking about the 40% soy isoflavones from bulkactives. It says it's water soluble. But then people say it stinks. Confused I've seen the 98% genistein on sea, but I'm not sure that would have the same lightening/soothing properties. (From what I've read, it seems genistein is more just for collagen stimulating?)

Sorry EG I missed that I guess. 40% soy isoflavones have how much genistein? Genistein is the main active in isoflavones so that is the one we are concerned about no matter what you plan to use isoflavones for. "Genistein exhibits antioxidant, antiangiogenic, and immunosuppressive activities."

You could try either one I guess but the 98% genistein has to be dissolved in NaOH and then ETOH so its a bit tricky. So if you want an easy one, the water sol would be your choice.

Also, in case you do decide to use NaOH, please be very careful and use protective goggles n all.. it' s a very dangerous n should be used by experienced people...
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone, so much! I hope adding soy to my spritz works.

Thank you DM, I just wasn't sure if it would really dissolve enough to work in a spray bottle!

Lotus, I'm not taking it as a supplement. Just wanting to use it topically in a spritz. Topical soy is great for rosacea, sensitive skin and discoloration. My skin loves soy. Smile

Thanks fawnie!! I sure hope it works and doesn't stink lol!

Thanks for the tip daler, I'm brand new to DIY so I'm definitely not ready to work with NaOH yet. Confused

Thanks again everyone. Smile
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I would be skeered that it would mess with hormonal balance since its marketed as primarily an estrogen supplement.

I agree that it's very much an individual thing so each person needs to do her own homework on it...however, I don't see what is so different about this cream than what others propose to use as a DIY solution?

Or to put it another way, shouldn't a person be equally concerned about a DIY estrogenic serum? anything containing soy, red clover, cohosh, etc.?

BFG
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Yes I do see your point BFG! If someone is especially adverse to using soy then they should steer away from this ingredient for sure. Thx for the infos about this cream too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:49 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

I agree that it's very much an individual thing so each person needs to do her own homework on it...however, I don't see what is so different about this cream than what others propose to use as a DIY solution?

Or to put it another way, shouldn't a person be equally concerned about a DIY estrogenic serum? anything containing soy, red clover, cohosh, etc.?

BFG

Exactly and I know I am an exception at least in my "age" group, but even my daughters have the same issue at 23 and 31, yet more women still menstruating tend to be anemic or borderline than the opposite.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:32 am      Reply with quote
I see no reason whatsoever to use these types of ingredients if one is not yet at least peri-menopausal, so the only people who should be using them are the ones who need them - at the risk of sounding obvious...and the only way to know if you are peri-meno is to look at your symptoms and see your doctor...so..back to my point Smile

I pointed DrJ in the direction of a study on the use of progesterone to ameliorate skin laxity, to which he pointed out that it shouldn't be used by those who are not in a hormonally deficient state (I forget how he worded it)...to which I responded that the problem (of laxity) is associated with hormonal decline or imbalance, so the chicken follows the egg and vice versa.

DIYHomework with your health Smile

BFG
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Right, but isn't stimulating collagen good at any age? Just like Vitamin C? And topical soy has other benefits, like calming redness/rosacea and helps lighten discoloration.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:58 am      Reply with quote
I think DrJ would have the definitive answer about how much is actually absorbed into the body since he is using soya glycone also.

Maybe contact him or DragoN on one of the threads or forums (?fora) they are active on.

Dragon uses an ingredient with 98% active genistein in her formulas

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
Fawnie, how do you make liposomes in, say, a kitchen?

Hi, All... I am a first-time poster, but have been lurking since March. I am dazzled by the wealth of information here, so kudos to you all.

Lotusesther, insofar as liposomes, I have recently become familiar with a DIY technique that can be done "in a kitchen", and rather inexpensively, at that. Please be advised that I have not yet tried this, but am ramping up to do so.

The following is a cut-and-paste of the technique as explained by Brooks Bradley, the technique's developer (I'd include the link to the source, but apparently new members are not allowed to do so). It is intended for oral consumption, but the moderator of the DIY-LET ("Liposomal Encapsulation Technology") Yahoo group I recently joined asserts that the process should yield a product of superior efficacy for topical application. My knowledge is too unsophisticated at this point for me to be critical of his claim, but I can't see how it would hurt to try it out. I'm thinking I'll use the technique in the 'C' serum recipe that also uses camu camu powder, which I've also seen in these forums. I believe some were saying how difficult to is to dissolve the camu powder, so perhaps the ultrasonic cleaner can alleviate this problem. I intend to see if the technique will also enhance the delivery of CoQ10, turmeric, etc. I'm not sure if its wise to do all of this in one serum... I'd hate to be responsible for creating a mushroom cloud on the horizon <wink>.

Brooks Bradley:
Quote:
Our vitamin "C" liposomal encapsulation protocol is as follows:

Using a small (2 cup) Ultrasonic cleaner, (Item #03305, obtainable from Harbor Freight @ about $30.00), we performed the following:

1. Dissolved 3 level tablespoons of soy lecithin in 1 cup of water (preferably distilled).

2. Dissolved 1 level tablespoon of ascorbic acid powder (Vit. "C") in 1/2 cup
of water.

3. Poured both solutions together in the ultrasonic cleaner bowl and turned the unit on. Using a plastic straw (leaving the top of the cleaner opened), gently, slowly, stirred the contents.

Note: The cleaner will, automatically, self-stop about every 2 minutes. Just push ON button to continue. Repeat for a total of 3 series (6 minutes). By that time the entire solution should be blended into a cloudy, homogeneous, milk-like mixture. The LET solution is now formed.

4. This protocol furnishes about 12 grams (12000mg.) of vitamin C product. At 70% encapsulation efficiency, 8400 mg would be of the LET type. This solution will keep, acceptably, at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. Refrigerated, it will keep much longer. We use it so fast around our place...there isn't enough left to be concerned over storage. The "homogenizing effect" is so powerful that after 3 days at room temperature, no precipitation or solution separation appears evident. This type of sequestered vitamin "C" has demonstrated to be, at least 5 times more effective (per volumetric measure) than any other form of orally-ingested vitamin "c"....that we have tested. Additionally, it appears to be even more rapid in tissue-bed availability----than IV applications. An astounding revelation....to us. We estimate the DIY researcher can produce the active LET portion of this solution for 15 cents per gram....as against about $1.00 per gram from commerci! al sources.

It is my hope that this, limited, explanation of our activities in this area,
is of some value to our do-it-yourself health-maintenance researchers. In any event, this protocol has demonstrated to be n on-toxic and most helpful to OUR RESEARCHES.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
It is interesting to see Vitamin C paired with a known glycating agent (glucose)...I am sure there is an explanation for that, one that's over my head for now.<snip>

BFG, I contacted the inventor of AA2G, Hayashibara Company, and this is their answer:

"In our skin,the amount of glucose from AA2G is very tiny, and the amount of glucose from food is much bigger than this. So you don't need to worry about this."

Tomonari Mozumi
Nagase America Corporation
Life Science Division
546 Fifth Avenue, 16 th floor,
New York, NY 10036-5000, USA
tel: +1-212-703-1350
fax: +1-212-398-0687
mobile: +1-303-319-5912
e-mail: tomonari.mozumi@nagase-nam.com
web :www.intl.hayashibara.co.jp/
web :www.nagaseamerica.com

A rather quaint answer, but since they are the ones most familiar with the AA2G product I will trust their information.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Velicia wrote:
(I'd include the link to the source, but apparently new members are not allowed to do so)

I can post the link for you:

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3%26t=7499%26start=15

Welcome to the forum, Velicia. wave
System
Automatic Message
Sat May 11, 2024 4:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |