Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)
Moisturizer to compliment kassy's vit c & jojoba serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
weluvnik
5% products discount

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
I would like to start using kassy's vit c, e, ferulic & jojoba serum in the moring, but am assuming i will need a moisturizer over it. Any recommendations? I currently have some ncn cp accelerator... would that work or should i try something else? Here's some more info:

- My skin is "normal" - some oiliness in t zone but feels dry if not moisturized.
- I'm 47, so sagging and fine lines are a concern.
- i use cps, lacsal, and emu oil in the evening
- i am considering replenix cf cream, but haven't tried it yet (it has green tea, but also an edta so it should be ok with the vit c)
- i dont mind diy suggestions, although i am brand new to it!

Thanks so much! Smile
erica1981
5% products discount

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
I would also like a recommendation for a moisturizer to use with this serum. I have been using the serum for a couple months now and can't find a moisturizer that works with my combo, oily t-zone.
Also, does anyone else find this serum to be a little sticky???

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Yep, the above C serum can feel tacky for 5 to 10 minutes until it absorbs..

If you want something more moisturizing (in just one step) try this;

15% Vit C Lotion, 1oz.

1 tsp L-AA powder (or adjust to 5 to 7% if you want to use the oil soluble alternatives ie; MAP, THDA.
1 TBS distilled water
1 TBS CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
3 or 4 drops of Vit E Oil

Dissolve the vit C in water. When fully dissolved add the CV to that and stir well. Now add a few drops of Vit E oil to that and stir.

Using the CeraVe lets you off the hook for emulsifiers and preservatives. What you don't use up in 4 or 5 weeks, just toss and make a new batch (just to be on the safe side.)

"CeraVe Lotion or Cream" are great moisturizers, and totally compatible with any of my "C Serum" recipes.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
weluvnik
5% products discount

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, sounds perfect! Thank you, Kassy! Very Happy
erica1981
5% products discount

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy,
COuple questions about your c-serum. The one I made has CEF, aloe, poly 80, and jojoba....this is the one that seems sticky. I have a hard time layering anything on it, even after 20-30 min....so lately I have been splashing a little h20 on after 20-30 min and blotting off before putting on a BB cream. Does this effect the c-serum? It should have absorbed by then right?
I'm still hard at work in finding the right routine...if I use a moisturizer on top of the serum then makeup, my face is greasy by lunch and feels gross. This is why I chose a BB cream, so that I could skip the moisturizer and still have spf and coverage. What do you think?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
erica1981 wrote:
Hi Kassy,
COuple questions about your c-serum. The one I made has CEF, aloe, poly 80, and jojoba....this is the one that seems sticky. I have a hard time layering anything on it, even after 20-30 min....so lately I have been splashing a little h20 on after 20-30 min and blotting off before putting on a BB cream. Does this effect the c-serum? It should have absorbed by then right?
I'm still hard at work in finding the right routine...if I use a moisturizer on top of the serum then makeup, my face is greasy by lunch and feels gross. This is why I chose a BB cream, so that I could skip the moisturizer and still have spf and coverage. What do you think?

Hi erica,

I think if you give the above recipe a try, you will be a happy girl! I believe CeraVe has a SPF day lotion, so you could use that in the recipe, and not worry about all the layering.

I hope you try it out.. It absorbs immediately! In fact I'm enjoying it so much I made mine in a 4oz container and have been using it head to toe. It's that good, and oh so simple!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
weluvnik
5% products discount

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy, is it okay to use the cerave PM right after the jojoba vitamin c serum? I am so paranoid about mixing things that shouldnt be mixed. Here are the ingredients:

PURIFIED WATER
GLYCERIN
CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDES
NIACINAMIDE
BEHENTRIMONIUM METHOSULFATE AND CETEARYL ALCOHOL
CETEARETH-20 AND CETEARYL ALCOHOL
CERAMIDE 3
CERAMIDE 6-II CERAMIDE 1
PHYTOSPHINGOSINE
HYALURONIC ACID
CHOLESTEROL
DIMETHICONE
POLYGLYCERYL-3 DIISOSTEARATE
DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE
SODIUM LAUROYL LACTYLATE DISODIUM EDTA
METHYLPARABEN
PROPYLPARABEN
CARBOMER
XANTHAN GUM

Also, i know you recommend resting from actives (not using them every day). With that in mind, does this seem like a safe, effective routine (alternating Day A Day B)

Day A
Your vitamin c serum & Cerave PM in morning
Lacsal in evening

Day B
Cerave PM in morning
SB's Skin Signals cream & Emu Oil S in evening

2-3x per week: LED with your green tea treatment

Many thanks!! Smile
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
weluvnik wrote:
Hi Kassy, is it okay to use the cerave PM right after the jojoba vitamin c serum? I am so paranoid about mixing things that shouldnt be mixed. Here are the ingredients:

PURIFIED WATER
GLYCERIN
CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDES
NIACINAMIDE
BEHENTRIMONIUM METHOSULFATE AND CETEARYL ALCOHOL
CETEARETH-20 AND CETEARYL ALCOHOL
CERAMIDE 3
CERAMIDE 6-II CERAMIDE 1
PHYTOSPHINGOSINE
HYALURONIC ACID
CHOLESTEROL
DIMETHICONE
DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE
SODIUM LAUROYL LACTYLATE DISODIUM EDTA
METHYLPARABEN
PROPYLPARABEN
CARBOMER
XANTHAN GUM

Also, i know you recommend resting from actives (not using them every day). With that in mind, does this seem like a safe, effective routine (alternating Day A Day B)

Day A
Your vitamin c serum & Cerave PM in morning
Lacsal in evening

Day B
Cerave PM in morning
SB's Skin Signals cream & Emu Oil S in evening

2-3x per week: LED with your green tea treatment

Many thanks!! Smile

Looks like YES to everything!

Check out the AALS thread, I re-posted an old LED pre treatment recipe I've had exceptional feedback from.. You can easily adjust it to use the ingredients you have on hand..

Also, get yourself a 12oz "CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion"... You'll find alternating this with the "PM" moisturizer very beneficial... Wink

weluvnik
5% products discount

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
You are amazing! thanks so much for the super fast reply and all the great advice you share with all us newbies! I will pick up some of the regular cerave and i'll check out the aals thread. Have a great night! Very Happy

Ps... If you get a pm from me, please ignore it. I tried sending one last week but it is stuck in my outbox and not going anywhere. I guess i havent figured out how to message here yet! Smile
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
weluvnik wrote:
You are amazing! thanks so much for the super fast reply and all the great advice you share with all us newbies! I will pick up some of the regular cerave and i'll check out the aals thread. Have a great night! Very Happy

Ps... If you get a pm from me, please ignore it. I tried sending one last week but it is stuck in my outbox and not going anywhere. I guess i havent figured out how to message here yet! Smile

You're so sweet.. Thank you! EDS is loaded with great members, who are more than happy to help and share.

You have figured out how to "message", and it's in my "inbox"... Embarassed I am doing my best to catch up, and promise I'll get to it tomorrow.. Embarassed

erica1981
5% products discount

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy..thanks so much for the advice!!!
When you refer to the Cerave moisturizing lotion, is this the Facial Moisturizing lotion? (there is a regular one, one Renewing and two Facial Lotion, Am or PM)
These might be silly questions, but aren't parabens bad? Are there any more natural alternatives without parabens that you have tried?
For the sake of trying out just one product...is there anything wrong with using the AM lotion at night too? (I guess I wonder what the effects of wearing an SPF at night while sleeping...more prone to breakout?)

Sorry for being so high maintenance....just a lot of information to cover you know!! Razz As always, you're the best and I appreciate all the help!

5% products discount

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Erica - i asked a similar question about which cerave to use and Kassy said both the regular and the PM formulas are good (i didnt ask about the AM). But i am not mixing mine in with the serum... I apply it on top after a 10 minute wait. If you are mixing yours, she may suggest you stick to the regular version. She is a busy gal, but hopefully she'll see your question! Smile

May i ask you about the consistency of your c e ferulic + jojoba serum... Do you get little particles in yours? Mine looks perfect until the final step (combining the vitamin c + water mixture with the ferulic + e + jojoba mixture). I get "pieces" at that point... Even though everything looked perfctly dissolved before that last step. It has happened to me twice now.

Thanks! Very Happy
erica1981
5% products discount

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi weluvnik,
No I have not experienced the particles...I usually let each component dissolve for an hour or so until there are no particles or lumps. The only problem I had was the separation of the serum, which I tried to resolve by adding the poly80.(totally worked but I feel has added to the stickiness but I may be wrong)
Still a beginner and trying to get the right formula I think, which is hard because there is so much information and new things to experiment with Smile
Overall the consistency is good until I try to apply something over it eg moisturizer and makeup

5% products discount

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
I must be doing something wrong.. but I'll keep trying until I get it right! Smile And here's a new twist... I suddenly have a few whiteheads/pimples! I never break out, so I'm really surprised. It has to be either the serum or the cerave... those are the only new things in my routine. Ugh!
MIGolfergirl

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
HI! I'm brand new to all of this. I've spent hours reading through all this amazing information in the forum, but the one thing I can't seem to find is if there are any recommendations on where to buy the essential ingredients. Websites or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Help!

And thank you all for being so generous with your experience, expertise and time![
color=darkblue][/color]
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
MIGolfergirl wrote:
HI! I'm brand new to all of this. I've spent hours reading through all this amazing information in the forum, but the one thing I can't seem to find is if there are any recommendations on where to buy the essential ingredients. Websites or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Help!

And thank you all for being so generous with your experience, expertise and time![
color=darkblue][/color]

Hello and welcome,

If you scroll down to the bottom of the recipe index (in the DIY section) there are a number of suppliers listed.

Here is the link:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

HTH Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
weluvnik wrote:
I must be doing something wrong.. but I'll keep trying until I get it right! Smile And here's a new twist... I suddenly have a few whiteheads/pimples! I never break out, so I'm really surprised. It has to be either the serum or the cerave... those are the only new things in my routine. Ugh!

Eeeuuuw, that sucks... I think you said you were using the recipe with "jojoba"... that could be your problem.

Try the recipe I posted at the top of this thread.. It's easy, works well, absorbs quickly and doesn't clog pores. It is the easiest thing to throw together you can imagine.. Very Happy

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
MIGolfergirl wrote:

Help!

color=darkblue][/color]

Hello and welcome,

If you scroll down to the bottom of the recipe index (in the DIY section) there are a number of suppliers listed.

Here is the link:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

HTH Very Happy

Favs for me and highly recommended are:

http://www.theherbarie.com/Cetyl-Alcohol-NF-pr-90.html

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Xanthan-Gum-prehydrated-p194.html

http://www.lotioncrafter.com

http://bulkactives.com/

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/home.html

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Re-posting for Skinceutical C,E & FA fans!

Hooray for my favorite DIY vendor for Vitamin C serum supplies... As usual, we ask, they listen..

Lotioncrafter.com now has a kit that will have you duplicating Skinceuticals C, E & Ferulic perfectly.. The kit contains all the actives you need to make more than 6.5 oz of serums (minus the distilled water).. for $49.95 ... This is so worth it, especially if you are tackling your 1st project! Complete instructions come with it.

Here's the actives you will get;

You'll receive:

1g Ferulic Acid
30g L-Ascorbic Acid Ultra Fine Powder
5g Hyaluronic Acid
1g dl-Panthenol
15g Glycerin
15g Laureth-23
5g 95% Mixed Tocopherols
45g Ethoxydiglycol
25g Propylene Glycol
14g Triethanolamine
5g Phenonip
10-pack pH Testing Strips
Instructions

You will not find a better deal or a better quality of L-Ascorbic Acid to work with.

An optional scale and airless bottles are available from the pull down menu at the top of the page (for those who don't already have these great stock items.)

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/c-e-with-ferulic-acid-kit.html

Yay Lotioncrafter ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Gosha
5% products discount

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A, Thank you for posting about the Lotioncrafter kit. Do you know if it comes at out as a liguid? I tried your DIY vit. C serum, unfortunately it didn't suit me, my skin got bumpy, I tried it three times and every time ended up using the serum on my hands and neck. I think it's because I have oily skin and I use NCN formula 5-5-5 and it also had vitamin E and jojoba oils. It was probably too much oil for my skin. I remember 8-10 years ago I tried Cellex C vitamin C serum and it was like a liquid. Does this formula have a liquid consistency? Also, I read your post about the benefits of white tea. Do you drink it or do you have any DIY serums for that? Thank you.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Gosha wrote:
Kassy_A, Thank you for posting about the Lotioncrafter kit. Do you know if it comes at out as a liguid? I tried your DIY vit. C serum, unfortunately it didn't suit me, my skin got bumpy, I tried it three times and every time ended up using the serum on my hands and neck. I think it's because I have oily skin and I use NCN formula 5-5-5 and it also had vitamin E and jojoba oils. It was probably too much oil for my skin. I remember 8-10 years ago I tried Cellex C vitamin C serum and it was like a liquid. Does this formula have a liquid consistency? Also, I read your post about the benefits of white tea. Do you drink it or do you have any DIY serums for that? Thank you.

I can answer about the consistency it is a dupe of Skincentuals CEF serum so lighter than lotion yet not as thin as water.

Why not test a small area of both Jojoba and Vitamin E on each side just behind the ear and see if or what you react to? It helps to isolate the culprit before trying anything else with that ingredient. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

15% Vit C Lotion, 1oz.

1 tsp L-AA powder (or adjust to 5 to 7% if you want to use the oil soluble alternatives ie; MAP, THDA.
1 TBS distilled water

Dissolve the vit C in water. When fully dissolved add the CV to that and stir well. Now add a few drops of Vit E oil to that and stir.

Using the CeraVe lets you off the hook for emulsifiers and preservatives. What you don't use up in 4 or 5 weeks, just toss and make a new batch (just to be on the safe side.)

Is it just the CeraVe or would any lotion get you off the hook with emulsifiers and preservatives? If I wanted to use MAP would I have to dissolve it in oil first? Also what do you think about adding in Niacinamide and mixing it in with this lotion mix? I actually like to mix things up in the palm of my hand right when I use it. I can to that with this above, right?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:02 am      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:

Is it just the CeraVe or would any lotion get you off the hook with emulsifiers and preservatives? If I wanted to use MAP would I have to dissolve it in oil first? Also what do you think about adding in Niacinamide and mixing it in with this lotion mix? I actually like to mix things up in the palm of my hand right when I use it. I can to that with this above, right?

I don't think "any" lotion would do, but you're certainly free to study some ingredient lists to find other products that are compatible with the actives you choose.

The best advice I can give you is to do a search of the ingredients you want to use, and see what products come up.. Pick a couple you like and then just add additional actives to it.. You can almost rest assured that the optimal concentration for those actives will be in short supply in the retail product... Do some homework, and add your actives.

Semi-DIY is easy. As far as the niacinamide, CeraVe has a product containing it.. Surprisingly, the niacinamide is high up on the ingredient list as well...

You can solubize your MAP in distilled water. Wink

I use C + Niacinamide now and then without any issues.. Some might get a *tingle or flush* for a few minutes... Retail products containing both are readily available.. Have a look at the ingredient lists.. Again, you can always buy a product you like, and then add additional actives to make the concentration optimal..(A little research and emailing comes in handy to find out what's "in" the products already!)

mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kassy. What I meant was will any ready made moisturizer work when it comes to not having to deal with the preservatives and other things. I prefer to just plunk some of the actives I like into jar and mix or in my hand instead of measuring out from scratch. My only concern is that I will change the pH of the CereVe or whatever I use. Do you think that could happen and if so then what do I do then?
erica1981
5% products discount

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Yep, the above C serum can feel tacky for 5 to 10 minutes until it absorbs..

15% Vit C Lotion, 1oz.

1 TBS distilled water

"CeraVe Lotion or Cream" are great moisturizers, and totally compatible with any of my "C Serum" recipes.

Hi Kassy,
I finally threw this recipe together last night....WOW!! So simple and such a great consistency! (Great improvement on the sticky CEF that I was making before)
You are a genius!!
Just want to make sure that I am getting the most out of it. How do I know that it is penetrating?? Have you measured the PH of this one?
Also, I am not losing out by not adding the Ferulic acid right? (this is just meant to stabalize the LAA?)
Thanks so much...as always!! Razz

Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |