Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hydrocortisone Vs Benadryl For Bed Bug/Mosquito Bites
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
quickguide90012
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 13, 2013 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
If you have an insect bite whether its a mosquito bite or bed bug bite, which one is better?

Many people mention hydrocortisone but that is a steroid and it causes thinning of the skin. Its ingredient is Hydrocortisone 1%.

Yet benadryl uses 2% Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride.

Which one works better? If there is a negative of hydrocortisone, what are the negatives of using benadryl? I see someone on amazon mention its like the same as hydrocortisone except the bad side effects?

Is it true that if you put it for 2 weeks, then those bites will go away? Someone said hydrocortisone would do that. But even if it does, would the red marks go away? Like would those bug bites ever pop like a cyst pimple would?

Someone said if you have a popped bug bite, then u should use benadryl. Thoughts on this?

So hydrocortisone works better than benadryl i hear ppl say but what they mean by that? By healing it faster than benadryl?
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 14, 2013 3:46 am      Reply with quote
These two medicines reduce the itch so you don't continue to scratch the bug bite. They don't actually heal the bite. So you can try either one, in my experience with mosquito bites, neither one of them work well and the bites continue to itch like crazy.
Applying hydrocortisone on your skin a few days in a row to heal a bug bite will not cause thinning of the skin that quickly.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 14, 2013 5:09 am      Reply with quote
I agree with SnowFairy.

Hydrocortisone will thin over time but used short term there should be no issue.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 14, 2013 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
I find oral Benadryl works the best for me for itchy bites.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 14, 2013 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have many bites on my face that are huge and cystlike. I had thought those were from cystic acne but many of them were from bites. I'm currently putting benadryl topical on it... would that be fine?

I currently put benadryl on those huge cyst like pimples that are bites from mosquito/bed bugs. But what should i put on the ones that are like 7-8 small bites to the face? I have a ton of them on one side of my cheek that was the only part of my face that was clear. I currently just put some aveeno moisturizing lotion that has colloidal oatmeal. Would that be fine?

What im worried is are those red marks going to stay on my cheeks?? I already have tons of red marks from acne now everywhere else on my face and now bed bug or mosquito bites im worried of the marks. This was the only small part of my face that was clear and now my whole face looks infected now and apparently most of this are bed bug or mosquito bites.

Can someone tell me what i shoud put on it? I put benadryl on those cystlike mosquito/bed bug bites and aveeno moisturizing lotion that has colloidal oatmail on the small bites that are pimplelike but small. Or should i put benadryl on that too???

I want to cry right now.
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 15, 2013 10:37 am      Reply with quote
If the bites are really itchy, you can take Benadryl internally.
You might want to just leave your face alone for a few days and let your skin calm down. I would apply some aloe vera gel. Another thing you can do is make a really strong chamomile tea and spray your face with it several times a day. You can even process some oatmeal into a powder and mix it with the chamomile tea and spray your face several times. I think the Aveeno lotion is fine. You just need to use things that are soothing and will help to calm down the inflammation from the bites. The red marks won't be on your skin forever. They may be there for a long time depending on how your skin reacts to these kinds of things, but not forever. Please resist the urge to take drastic measures. Be kind and gentle to your skin. Use a lot of anti-inflammatory ingredients, antioxidants and don't forget about sunscreen.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 24, 2013 2:31 am      Reply with quote
Hello quickguide90012 Smile I suggest you find the source of your problem regarding mosquito/bed bites... If these are on your bed sheets, it will be a recurring situation --- you will be beaten by these "small" insects... If the whole place is contaminated with these "small" insects, I suggest you find a "professional" who can eradicate these so there won't be bites on your face (or body) in the future... I use Hydrocortisone once in a while for itchiness but it has not thin my skin... I can not say much about Benadryl as I really have not tried it...
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |