Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My skin has gotten less firm all the sudden?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
S in the last few months my skin feels far less tight then it used to. It feels softer, but mushier in a way. Im worried I might be doing something to it. Im 22. In the last 6 months, i have started eating all organic fruits and veg, became vegan, for the most part,(only a little fish) and have made sure to take all the right supplements, (fish oil, MSM, silica, Vit C and B, antioxidants). I also added a shower head filter, to remove the chlorine and chemicals from my water, have implemented sun avoidance, really began moisturizing, and exercising. I though doing all this would make my skin firmer, but it feels and looks like it has gotten less. Is this the normal feel to skin, should it be less tight do to less chlorine in water, better hydration, and other things. Or is something up? Im really concerned. Thanks to any help!
ShiningStar77
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
I *think* your body has gone into shock. It was used to a certain amount of protein which it is now being deprived of. Could you look at your diet and finding alternative sources of protein now that you are vegan? I notice however that you say you eat fish which would strictly not make you vegan/ vegetarian?
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
im vegan for the most part, haha, fish occasionally for the protein, but ur right, that is something i was worried bout, i may have to add more protein

I do eat a block of tofu a day, if i eat more protein, and that is the cause, will my skin heal itself?
ShiningStar77
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure it would *heal* your problem but I feel your body would appreciate it. Unfortunately in the grand scheme of things your body reasons that your face, hair, skin and nails are not important when you are under nourished in any way. Instead essential body functions are preserved ahead of glowing skin etc. There are vegan shakes you could make like spiruteen. Ideally you need 1g of protein for each kg of weight. That is actual protein and not the weight of protein containing food i.e. a steak of cod may weigh 30g but may only contain 20g of protein. So you could say have a vegan protein shake for breakfast, some tofu for lunch and then maybe fish for dinner. You just need to be more mindful and creative now that meat is not on the menu.
Needl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
Tofu alone doesn't have all the amino acids you need for protein. Check out what combinations are needed for all the amino acids you need.
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Do you think thats what the problem is?
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Needl wrote:
Tofu alone doesn't have all the amino acids you need for protein. Check out what combinations are needed for all the amino acids you need.

Hawkman564 wrote:
Do you think thats what the problem is?

I believe if not eating animal protein, you need to be creative and introduce a lot of protein variety in your diet in order to be sure you are getting all the amino acids your body needs, as ShiningStar77 so concisely said.

Quote:
All Protein Isn’t Alike

Some of the protein you eat contains all the amino acids needed to build new proteins. This kind is called complete protein. Animal sources of protein tend to be complete. Other protein sources lack one or more “essential” amino acids—that is, amino acids that the body can’t make from scratch or create by modifying another amino acid. Called incomplete proteins, these usually come from fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts.

Vegetarians need to be aware of this. To get all the amino acids needed to make new protein—and thus to keep the body’s systems in good shape—people who don’t eat meat, fish, poultry, eggs, or dairy products should eat a variety of protein-containing foods each day.

Read more here: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/protein-full-story/
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
i eat tofu, brown rice, almond butter, goji berries, avocado, beans and lentils, is that enough, or should i introduce a supplement
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hawkman564 wrote:
i eat tofu, brown rice, almond butter, goji berries, avocado, beans and lentils, is that enough, or should i introduce a supplement

For those of us not vegan/vegetarian, like me who not only eats all those things you list but also fish, chicken, beef, lamb, hemp milk, nuts, etc...and occasionally replaces a meal with with Ultimate Meal shake which while being more than a protein shake has spirulina among its awesome ingredients, your list looks like a small splash in a sea of options.

Supplementation with a protein shake may be a good idea, but I think your best move would be to discuss your diet with a nutritionist or your doctor. Or find a book on a well-balanced vegan diet to help you navigate this lifestyle.

Raw vegans (or just vegans) who have mastered the art of nourishing their bodies well without eating animal products can look really good and healthy like this 70-year old woman who looks so young. Then there are some who swear they feel good health-wise because of their raw vegan or just vegan lifestyle but to outsiders they look older than their years and so weak you can't help but want to offer them a sandwich. I would look to vegans who fall in the former group for advice and direction.
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
i will look into the protein, i did see a nutritionist who said i was probably ok, but if ok, is there something else that would do it?
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
Eat avocados and bananas for the fat. If you're not adverse to using oils, olive oil is a good choice.

I am vegan and I get more than enough protein from plants. The idea that you have to have these massive amounts of protein to be healthy is a myth.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hm, I agree about not needing 'massive amounts', but my eyelids aged 20 years when I only had protein in my evening meal. And they looked young again very soon after I went back to eggs and butter for breakfast, salmon or other protein salad for lunch and some meat with lots of veges for dinner. I don't want this to be a carnivore/herbivore argument - get your protein from any source you like, but if you want your body to have enough spare for your skin (especially if it's converting a lot of your protein source into glucose for energy), experiment with giving it more.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Immacolata wrote:
Eat avocados and bananas for the fat. If you're not adverse to using oils, olive oil is a good choice.

I am vegan and I get more than enough protein from plants. The idea that you have to have these massive amounts of protein to be healthy is a myth.

Not a myth at all. Some people do indeed need more protein than others. So you cannot use your experience to tell another person s/he doesn't need massive amounts of protein. How do you know? His/her body told him/her something was amiss when s/he changed his/her diet or s/he would not be here asking for direction.

No one is telling him/her to eat animal products just that s/he may need to get a second opinion on his/her diet or look to those who don't eat animal products but look good to see what it is they do that s/he might not be doing.

I believe just like any other deficiency, protein deficiency is something a doctor can determine.

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/protein.htm

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/5-warning-signs/
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk/vegetarian-starter-kit-protein

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

http://freefromharm.org/health-nutrition/vegan-doctor-addresses-protein-question/

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Needl wrote:
Hm, I agree about not needing 'massive amounts', but my eyelids aged 20 years when I only had protein in my evening meal. And they looked young again very soon after I went back to eggs and butter for breakfast, salmon or other protein salad for lunch and some meat with lots of veges for dinner. I don't want this to be a carnivore/herbivore argument - get your protein from any source you like, but if you want your body to have enough spare for your skin (especially if it's converting a lot of your protein source into glucose for energy), experiment with giving it more.

It may well have been the increased fat in your diet.

Not trying to start an argument.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
No, I was getting lots of fat: coffee with a lot of real cream twice a day. It was the protein.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Immacolata wrote:
http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk/vegetarian-starter-kit-protein

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

http://freefromharm.org/health-nutrition/vegan-doctor-addresses-protein-question/

What those articles omit to mention is that there are 9 essential amino acids and so it isn't just quantity that is in question, but quality. If I ate oodles of plant protein but was not supplementing to get enough of the amino acids found in low amounts in plants that I may not be getting enough of, then I will be deficient in those specific amino acids and therefore will suffer protein deficiency.

If what those articles claim was the full story, then the idea of protein deficiency would not exist. However it does.

http://www.aminomics.com/aminoacids/why-deficient.htm

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/organic/essam.html

So the vegan lifestyle isn't one that anyone can just wing it. There is a lot of stuff to consider and a lot to learn so one doesn't end up like those vegans who later return to meat and write articles about how they almost died from trying to be vegan.

Examples of healthy vegans have been mentioned in links in this thread, so it is possible to get it right. But it would be dumb to turn a blind eye to changes happening in your body that might be giving you clues that some adjustments need to be made in your diet.
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I agree - but then we're talking about someone who follows an unhealthy diet - as you know, vegan doesn't necessarily equate to healthy. I have days where I'm eating cookies and french fries - vegan, but not very healthy. But for the most part, I eat a variety of plant foods, including seeds, beans, nuts and rice. I feel I get more than enough protein and other essential nutrients.

They used to think that you had to combine proteins in one meal - i.e. beans and rice, corn and peas - to get the benefit of a "complete" protein. We now know that if you eat a variety of foods, your body will sort it out, and take what it needs.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Immacolata wrote:
I agree - but then we're talking about someone who follows an unhealthy diet - as you know, vegan doesn't necessarily equate to healthy. I have days where I'm eating cookies and french fries - vegan, but not very healthy. But for the most part, I eat a variety of plant foods, including seeds, beans, nuts and rice. I feel I get more than enough protein and other essential nutrients.

They used to think that you had to combine proteins in one meal - i.e. beans and rice, corn and peas - to get the benefit of a "complete" protein. We now know that if you eat a variety of foods, your body will sort it out, and take what it needs.

I have never heard that the reason for combining corn and peas or beans (succotash), or rice and beans was to get complete protein. I have always considered it part of the process of creating a balanced meal (carbs + protein) and then I add a veggies or fruit to complete the meal. *shrug*

I might have missed it, but what makes you say the bold^^? From what Hawkman564 has shared, it seems s/he eats more or less the same things you eat.
Needl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
When I was a vegetarian, I was pretty aware of combining grains and legumes to get complete proteins. Back then, both in one meal was recommended, but Immacolata is more up-to-date on the science of that.
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
I normally eat this everyday

1/2 cup goji berries
2 cups fortified almond milk
1-2 tbs olive oil
1-2 tbs flax seed oil
Avocado
Handful Brazil nuts
1 cup oatmeal
1 can red kidney beans
1 cup brown rice cooked
1 block tofu
1 sweet potato
Juice of kale spinach cucumber celery lemon
Salad with carrots spinach cucumber romaine
That's about an average day. A couple times a week I have fish or so

I take B, C, D, fish oil, cal/mag/zinc,
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Nonie aka AD wrote:
Immacolata wrote:

I have never heard that the reason for combining corn and peas or beans (succotash), or rice and beans was to get complete protein. I have always considered it part of the process of creating a balanced meal (carbs + protein) and then I add a veggies or fruit to complete the meal. *shrug*

I might have missed it, but what makes you say the bold^^? From what Hawkman564 has shared, it seems s/he eats more or less the same things you eat.

Sorry - it does sound as if I'm referring to Hawkman564, but I'm not. I meant a person as in an unhealthy vegan who is not getting the essential nutrients, one who is following a bad diet.

Sorry, Hawkman, I wasn't trying to dis you! Sad

Combining proteins at one meal is an old idea. I remember it in the 70s - I can remember reading that if you ate beans, you should also have rice or corn tortillas at the same meal. I think by the 80s it had been debunked.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Still believed in the 80s where I live. If I became vegetarian/vegan again I'd look very closely at the scientific data re this point.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
If OP is eating a block of tofu per day, it had better be organic. Otherwise it's genetically modified and that can ruin your health in many ways. Most soy and corn these days is GMO unless it specifically says 'organic.'
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:35 am      Reply with quote
I've read that ALL corn has been contaminated by GMO pollen, and that there is no truly organic corn left. I don't know if that's true or not. I do know that corn is in a lot of processed food, in one form or another.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |