Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retinyal acetate & retinyl palmitate together
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:30 am      Reply with quote
It's commercially available, but I wondered if anyone has made a DIY potion containing both retinyl acetate and retinyl palmitate?
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:38 am      Reply with quote
I have, EthelM. I read that Retinyl Acetate was both oil and water soluble, so I've used it in a blend with Retinyl Palmitate, and in a Ret. Palmitate/tetra C blend. (ETA--both of those are all-lipid formulas, as I didn't want to mess with with emulsifiers and preservatives) I should have both recipes saved on my laptop, and I'll post them later if you'd like to see them.

I will say, I found the RA difficult to work with. I'm glad to have given it a try, and I think it can be very valuable for DIYers, but I'm not sure it's something I'll ever feel competent with. My blends have turned out nicely, but I don't really have any idea if the RA is at the proper percentage, or if it's even doing anything. I love what RP does for my skin, and I'm sure the RA isn't hurting anything by being in there, of course.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:13 am      Reply with quote
I hope this makes sense. I've made a DIY cream with r.a. and an oil that had extra r.p. in it. So it's completely doable, yep!
EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! I know it's available together in a commercial formulation (which I find to work wonderfully) but I wondered if anyone had made a DIY recipe using both forms.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
EthelM wrote:
Thanks! I know it's available together in a commercial formulation (which I find to work wonderfully) but I wondered if anyone had made a DIY recipe using both forms.

What's the commercial version you like, Ethel?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:

I will say, I found the RA difficult to work with. I'm glad to have given it a try, and I think it can be very valuable for DIYers, but I'm not sure it's something I'll ever feel competent with. My blends have turned out nicely, but I don't really have any idea if the RA is at the proper percentage, or if it's even doing anything. I love what RP does for my skin, and I'm sure the RA isn't hurting anything by being in there, of course.

Can you elaborate on the difficulties with RA? I used it previously and just pulled it out of the cupboard again with the intent to add it to a water based serum.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:

Can you elaborate on the difficulties with RA? I used it previously and just pulled it out of the cupboard again with the intent to add it to a water based serum.

Hi Shastagirl Smile

My main problem is that it's so lightweight and "fly-away" (a term usually reserved for hair, but it fits here!). My measurement tools consist of a scale and various measuring scoops and cups, but neither were very helpful here. For example, I could fill a 1 ml scoop with RA, but the volume in the scoop wouldn't equal anything close to 1 gram on the scale. Out of curiosity, I measured out enough to show 1 gram on the scale, and it took about 1/3 of my supply Neutral

In any event, it was tricky to work with ingredients that have very different densities. I had no idea how to measure them properly and get a consistent percentage for all of them, and with the RA, I just had to guess. I had the same problem with MAP.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist, I use (and LOVE) Environ C-Quence. I was toying with the idea of making a DIY version, but I wouldn't give up the commercial product unless it could be matched exactly with a DIY.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
EthelM wrote:
Lowbrowscientist, I use (and LOVE) Environ C-Quence. I was toying with the idea of making a DIY version, but I wouldn't give up the commercial product unless it could be matched exactly with a DIY.

Ethel, as much as I'm enjoying my DIY stuff for regular daily use, I might give the C-Quence a try for dermarolling. Thank you!

I first used Retinyl Palmitate in 302's A Boost (available through derms or estheticians), and I absolutely loved it. 302 also has a ret. palmitate/ret. acetate blend, and it's probably amazing, but the expense and the fact that it can be difficult to acquire has held me back from trying it.

I've found RP really easy to work with, though, so if you ever need to stretch out the C-Quence and you're willing to go with a simpler blend now and again, it's something to consider Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:41 am      Reply with quote
SkinMedica has 2 products called Tri-retinol Complex & Tri-retinol Complex Es (stronger) which contain 3 forms of Vitamin A - Retinol, Retinyl Palmitate, Retinyl Acetate.

I tried to post the link here but I couldn't find it in the website of SkinMedica.

That said, you may still find it many online shops.
EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks. I have to admit, if I am to stick with a commercial product, I would never use anything but the Environ C-Quence. I've never tried anything that can hold a candle to it...it's amazing stuff. My friend uses her C-Quence along with Retin-A (she alternates nights with each product) and loves the combo. I think that's too much for my skin, but it's doable for some people.

I like it because I feel I'm getting the benefit of high dose A, without the thinning of the outer layers of skin that retinoic acid causes. My skin looks plumper, whereas the Retin A made my skin look more fragile.

It's pricey, though, so I wondered about a DIY version.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |