Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help me with my oil recipes - cleansing & treatment
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
alienoreo
5% products discount

Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
So, I've had good results with oil cleansing and with treatment oils in the last few weeks, but I'd like to make my own. Know what's in it, target my needs, etc. I've come up with two recipes and I have some but not all of the ingredients. GOW has great sample oil packs, which will make it possible to afford a few small batches with a lot of good ingredients.

Would love feedback from the DIY pros on how this looks, what might become problematic, etc. I'm sensitive to strongly-smelling oils so I've already eliminated the ones I know won't work on that account (black seed, neem, etc.) I have normal combo-to-oily skin. Not prone to breakouts. I just want to deal with oils and oil-soluble extracts--no water or alcohol phase in either formula.

Cleansing Oil
Must: rinse cleanly; have a mild or neutral smell; work well for facial/lymph massage; have potent anti-inflammatory properties to combat mild rosacea and enlarged/broken capillaries.

castor - 10.00%
cucumber - 10.00%
grapeseed - 10.00%
hemp - 10.00%
jojoba - 10.00%
perilla - 10.00%
rice bran - 10.00%
avocado - 5.00%
hazelnut - 5.00%
maracuja/passionfruit - 5.00%
oat oil - 5.00%
Polysorbate 80 - 4.00%
Cromollient SCE - 3.00%
PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil - 3.00%

Treatment Oil
Must: have a mild/neutral/pleasant smell; include potent antioxidants and anti-irritants; have a light texture; absorb quickly quickly but leave a pleasant glow; work well under sunscreen/makeup; brighten skin and/or treat redness/rosacea; work equally well at night over other serums/moisturizers.

tetrahedradecyl ascorbate - 10.00%
cucumber oil - 5.00%
grapeseed - 5.00%
rice bran - 5.00%
maracuja - 5.00%
oat oil - 5.00%
horse chestnut OS - 5.00%
jojoba (infused with vanilla fruit extract)- 5.00%
acai oil - 5.00%
plum kernel oil - 5.00%
red raspberry oil -5.00%
rose hip oil - 5.00%
squalane (olive) - 5.00%
watermelon oil - 5.00%
perilla seed oil - 3.00%
argan - 3.00%
CoQ10 powder - 2.00%
evening primrose - 2.00%
meadowfoam - 2.00%
tamanu - 2.00% (this has a scent but I like it)
vitamin E - 2.00%
hemp - 1.00%
avocado - 1.00%
hazelnut - 1.00%
black raspberry - 1.00%
blackberry - 1.00%
blueberry - 1.00%
marula - 1.00%
pomegranate - 1.00%
bisabolol - 0.50%
sea buckthorn oil - 0.50%
rosemary extract (antioxidant) -0.50%

Thank you!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
On the cleansing oil, I would increase the amount of castor. I use at least 30% for the cleansing properties. I would eliminate some of the more expensive oils from the cleansing version as they get rinsed off anyway, save them for the treatment oil.

Your treatment oil looks nice, but "Wow" you are going to have to stock up on a lot of different oils. Personally, I love sea buckthorn and would increase the percentage, but it can have a distinctive smell.

Let us know how it works out.
alienoreo
5% products discount

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:20 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
On the cleansing oil, I would increase the amount of castor. I use at least 30% for the cleansing properties. I would eliminate some of the more expensive oils from the cleansing version as they get rinsed off anyway, save them for the treatment oil.

Your treatment oil looks nice, but "Wow" you are going to have to stock up on a lot of different oils. Personally, I love sea buckthorn and would increase the percentage, but it can have a distinctive smell.

Let us know how it works out.

Thank you, ShastaGirl. I read that including more than 10% of castor can be drying if you're also using other astringent oils like grapeseed and hazelnut, but I will experiment with more castor. I figured if the oil is going to be on my face for a five-minute massage, it should have significant anti-inflammatory and nourishing properties, hence some of the other oils that I've seen recommended for OCM.

On the treatment blend, I won't need more than .25 oz of any of them and I already have about 3/4 of them from other experiments. I'm trying the "broad array" approach, and many of them are recommended for use levels between 1-5%. I really think I could probably do 20% red raspberry, about 20% actives, and 10% each of jojoba, rosehip, cucumber, maracuja, argan, and acai for a good blend, which might be where I start. I was also kinda hoping someone with more experience could tell me "hey, you don't need x, y, and z because q does the same thing."

I have sea buckthorn and wish I could use it but the smell is really a deal-breaker for me. It's bearable in blends with jasmine and neroli, but I am trying to avoid essential oils and pure fragrance products in this one.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |