Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
My puzzled skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
CarlaK

Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:55 am      Reply with quote
I have started taking care of my skin after a long (years) of neglect, from unintentional circumstances.

I started taking care of my skin in March, washing it with Nutribiotics non-soap cleanser and applying grapeseed oil as a moisturizer.

My skin is oily, has a lot of blackheads, whiteheads, clogged pores, large pores.

Not washing my face at all, kept everything hidden and it appeared like I did not have any pimples or acne for that matter.

I started making masks, like egg white, egg yolk, bentonite clay mask, strawberry mask once a week, and in May, a huge acne started forming.

I panicked since, in the past, I would have a huge pus filled acne on my face for a month without it popping on it's own. I added tea tree oil and it's been helpful a lot. My acne bump goes back down and instead of a huge cyst appearing, it just shows up with tiny whiteheads or hardened sebum.

I was also concerned if the egg white, egg yolk and clay mask, might have contributed to causing a huge acne so I stopped those.

For the past month since May, I've only been washing my face with cleanser and use 3 drops grapeseed oil with 1-2 drops of tea tree oil.

I use strawberry on my face almost daily, since I want the SA in it, I just apply half a berry, and leave it on for 20 mins.

It seems to be helping with dead skin but not much . . . . so I'm here trying to find a SA toner to make using oil as a solvent . . .

My face feels tight easily if I were to use alcohol.

My current issue, is after applying the grapeseed oil and minutes and hour later, my face is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oily!!!!

Isn't strawberry supposed to help?!

I applied clay about two days ago, and it seems like another huge acne is forming on the other side of my nose! . . . Even after I've applied the clay, I'm still oily!

What am I doing wrong?
Could someone help me out with SA toner please, thanks!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:25 am      Reply with quote
You may be using too much of the oil. I only use one drop of C Oil Synergy on damp skin for my combo skin.

Heres some info on SA toner HTH!:

http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/salicylic-acid-water-soluble-30grams-1-oz/

98% water + 2% salicylic acid. Shake. Refrigerate. Use up in a week if not using preservative.

"Synthesized" means its made in a lab instead of extracted from white willow bark:
"This Salicylic acid is the synthesized form which is the same chemical structure as that of white willow bark extract that has been standardized to 99%, however as it is produced in a lab, it is therefore less expensive."

Read more: http://skincare.boards.net/thread/1279/salicylic-acid-preservatives#ixzz35BK0bifC

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi Fawnie,

Thank you for the reply and the information.

I will look into buying that willowbark powder. However, it's going to take a while before it gets here.

I should have mentioned that I have 2grams of salicylic powder and was wanting to use them . . .

I am using one drop of grapeseed oil and one drop of tea tree oil now and will see how that goes.

It states 98% water and 2% salicylic acid, sorry, I'm not very good at calculating this but how much would I need precisely?

2grams of willow bark + 98ml of water? Guess I would need to use the same amount of grams instead for water . . . Confusing.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Grams is a weight measurement and milliliters is a volume measurement, so they arent really interchangeable but here is a rough formula if you dont have the water-soluble salicylic acid:

http://skincare.boards.net/thread/261/salicylic-acid-2-toner

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
CarlaK wrote:
I have started taking care of my skin after a long (years) of neglect, from unintentional circumstances.

I started taking care of my skin in March, washing it with Nutribiotics non-soap cleanser and applying grapeseed oil as a moisturizer.

My skin is oily, has a lot of blackheads, whiteheads, clogged pores, large pores.

Not washing my face at all, kept everything hidden and it appeared like I did not have any pimples or acne for that matter.

I started making masks, like egg white, egg yolk, bentonite clay mask, strawberry mask once a week, and in May, a huge acne started forming.

I panicked since, in the past, I would have a huge pus filled acne on my face for a month without it popping on it's own. I added tea tree oil and it's been helpful a lot. My acne bump goes back down and instead of a huge cyst appearing, it just shows up with tiny whiteheads or hardened sebum.

I was also concerned if the egg white, egg yolk and clay mask, might have contributed to causing a huge acne so I stopped those.

For the past month since May, I've only been washing my face with cleanser and use 3 drops grapeseed oil with 1-2 drops of tea tree oil.

I use strawberry on my face almost daily, since I want the SA in it, I just apply half a berry, and leave it on for 20 mins.

It seems to be helping with dead skin but not much . . . . so I'm here trying to find a SA toner to make using oil as a solvent . . .

My face feels tight easily if I were to use alcohol.

My current issue, is after applying the grapeseed oil and minutes and hour later, my face is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oily!!!!

Isn't strawberry supposed to help?!

I applied clay about two days ago, and it seems like another huge acne is forming on the other side of my nose! . . . Even after I've applied the clay, I'm still oily!

What am I doing wrong?
Could someone help me out with SA toner please, thanks!

I have oily T-zone. Not all oily skin requires a moisturizer.

If you take a look at the oil cleansing posts; it has helped a lot of people loosen with clogged pores. Maybe take a couple of drops of grapeseed oil and massage into clogged ares(s). Then use your cleanser to remove the oily residue.

I would stop the food masks (strawberry, egg, etc.) The clay mask and possibly the tea tree can be drying. Are you still using those?

If you decided to try a new product; patch test an area first. I think a BHA product could help; but again I would patch test a small area first.

I am not familiar with your cleansing bar. Have you been using it a while?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
It seems to be helping with dead skin but not much . . . . so I'm here trying to find a SA toner to make using oil as a solvent . . . [quote]

Do you have dry skin in patches?

I really don't want to suggest a lot of products. You could gently use a washcloth (preferably a soft one like the baby washcloths) for areas with dry skin.

I find that BHA work better for clogged pores. AHA (and mandelic) work well for dry skin on the surface.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:01 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Grams is a weight measurement and milliliters is a volume measurement, so they arent really interchangeable but here is a rough formula if you dont have the water-soluble salicylic acid:

I checked out the post but it uses alcohol and witch hazel . . .

So many confusing numbers
CarlaK

Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:11 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you have dry skin in patches?

I really don't want to suggest a lot of products. You could gently use a washcloth (preferably a soft one like the baby washcloths) for areas with dry skin.

I find that BHA work better for clogged pores. AHA (and mandelic) work well for dry skin on the surface.

I have oily T-zone. Not all oily skin requires a moisturizer.

If you take a look at the oil cleansing posts; it has helped a lot of people loosen with clogged pores. Maybe take a couple of drops of grapeseed oil and massage into clogged ares(s). Then use your cleanser to remove the oily residue.

I would stop the food masks (strawberry, egg, etc.) The clay mask and possibly the tea tree can be drying. Are you still using those?

If you decided to try a new product; patch test an area first. I think a BHA product could help; but again I would patch test a small area first.

I am not familiar with your cleansing bar. Have you been using it a while?

I used to go without moisturizer but I think I felt tight and grapeseed oil is supposed to help with aging, scars heal. Plus it's high in linoleic acid so it's supposed to help my face from producing a lot oil. Not applying moisturizer would make my face feel naked too.

I'm not brave enough to try oil cleansing. Just trying to take care of my face and it breaking me out or purging is scary as it is.

I use half a strawberry almost every day, for the salicylic acid. I don't use egg anymore. Even when I did, I used egg yolk after the egg white. Egg yolk, grapeseed oil, tamanu oil combo. So, I think I put "moisture" back in . . .

I don't use the clay, just maybe a week ago, and stopped for two to three weeks before that. I was doing the clay once a week before that. I want to use it again but I'm worried.

I need the tea tree oil, it's the only thing that's helping keep huge cyst and the infection under control.

The cleanser is from iherb by Nutribiotics, don't think I can paste links here. I have been using this since April.

Yes, I think BHA would help a lot, hence why I apply strawberry for 20 mins, but I think the SA is too weak . . .

I experience tightness in my skin if it's dried out, and I have a lot of dead skin so that's maybe dry.

I would use AHA but I need help with dead skin and oil in inflamed acne, which AHA wouldn't be able to get to and black and whiteheads.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Carla, after "years of neglect" it will prob take more time to get back on track.

Meanwhile, are you sure you're cleansing enough? If you wear sunscreen, it usually takes double cleansing to remove it and most ppl use a stronger cleanser than the one you have there. Or an oil cleanser + foaming one.

Also, what is your diet like? I can tell you that eliminating triggers like dairy, gluten, sugar (and sugar substitutes), soy, peanuts, eggs and corn really cleared my skin up. Many of those foods are contaminated (in USA) with chemicals that alter hormone function which contribute to not only skin problems but ageing and inflammation. For many, not all. Worth eliminating the foods for 4 weeks to see if they are triggers for you. Good luck.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:52 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Carla, after "years of neglect" it will prob take more time to get back on track.

Meanwhile, are you sure you're cleansing enough? If you wear sunscreen, it usually takes double cleansing to remove it and most ppl use a stronger cleanser than the one you have there. Or an oil cleanser + foaming one.

Also, what is your diet like? I can tell you that eliminating triggers like dairy, gluten, sugar (and sugar substitutes), soy, peanuts, eggs and corn really cleared my skin up. Many of those foods are contaminated (in USA) with chemicals that alter hormone function which contribute to not only skin problems but ageing and inflammation. For many, not all. Worth eliminating the foods for 4 weeks to see if they are triggers for you. Good luck.

That's what I'm thinking but the reason I kept stopping besides other circumstances, was because of this purging and breaking out, makes me feel so self conscious. HUGE inflamed acne sometimes with cyst, really hard to go anywhere.

I've read that clay quickly pulls the toxins to the surface and that's probably what's happening but it's kind of "all at once" and without the BHA and exfoliation that's strong enough, I end up with an infection instead.

I purchased that powder, could you please let me know how to get that 98% water and 2% powder. I'm really too confused and I wanted to try Paula's Choice, but they've been discontinued in my country and I need samples before buying the whole thing.

I don't use sunscreen and yes, I cleanse enough. I work the night shift and I don't go anywhere since I'm breaking out now =(

I don't eat any of those you mentioned, except for eggs, which are good for the omega and whatnot.

When I wasn't taking care of my face and I ate all sorts of stuff, I didn't get any acne or pimples. Sure I had blackheads and whatnot but not too obvious, the moment, I start taking care and use anything . . . PIMPLES and ACNE!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:25 am      Reply with quote
Carla, to make a 2% water soluble salicylic acid solution you will need a small jeweler's scale, available at Amazon or anywhere, and distilled or demineralized water, and pH strips going down to pH of 3. Scale and pH strips also available at SkinEssentialActives.com (I am not affiliated)

2 grams salicylic acid, water soluble
98 grams distilled/demineralized water

Test for pH of 3-4 and adjust with baking soda or citric acid if needed.

"Salicylic acid exerts maximum beneficial effects at concentrations between 1%-2 % at a pH between 3 and 4."
http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/salicylic-acid-water-soluble-30grams-1-oz/

Keep in refrigerator if you are not using a preservative like phenoxyethanol.

Apply to clean skin daily. Wear sunscreen if going outside since BHA sensitizes skin to burning! Good luck!

Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |