Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
DIY Vit C
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
damselindistress
5% products discount

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone

Just a quick question on DIY vit c. Ive mixed some of Vitamin C powder in one of my face creams that is water free at 20% concentration. The vitamin c doesn't dissolve as expected so I was going to apply that on damp skin to dissolve the vitamin c. Ive tested the ph and its 2.7. My question is that when I mix it in the cream the cream becomes very watery and separates. I don't have a problem mixing it everytime I use it but is this a problem for the vitamin c? Why does this happen if its a water free cream I would think it should have no effect?

Thanks in advance
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 am      Reply with quote
When you say you are using vitamin C,
which kind are you using.
Most people opt for ascorbic acid because it is water soluble and dissolves easily in water creating a serum. However there are many types out there,
some are even oil soluble meaning it won't dissolve unless you use an oil.

This may be the issue, the fact that the cream you are using has no water - so there isn't any solution for the Vit C to dissolve in. Vitamin C is also very unstable, light, oxygen, heat all make it become weaker so that too could be an issue.
damselindistress wrote:
Hi Everyone

Just a quick question on DIY vit c. Ive mixed some of Vitamin C powder in one of my face creams that is water free at 20% concentration. The vitamin c doesn't dissolve as expected so I was going to apply that on damp skin to dissolve the vitamin c. Ive tested the ph and its 2.7. My question is that when I mix it in the cream the cream becomes very watery and separates. I don't have a problem mixing it everytime I use it but is this a problem for the vitamin c? Why does this happen if its a water free cream I would think it should have no effect?

Thanks in advance
damselindistress
5% products discount

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:28 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the response. Its the Ultra fine L-Ascorbic acid. I had thought that if its in a solution with no water it will not oxidise. So I would apply it on damp skin so effectively would be like mixing it fresh every morning.
But when the cream gets weaker even though the mix is grainy, it didn't make sense to me

Thanks!
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 am      Reply with quote
Afraid not. If only it were that simple. L-Ascorbic acid easily oxidises even without water. However most people create serums using water as its easier to apply and dissolve and not so grainy. However if you want to use your cream, you can still do so. You just may want to add some water to it first and then mix into the cream.

Applying it to damp skin doesn't actually provide you with the same benefits. Yes I know it seems logical that applying it to damp skin would have the same benefits but its much harder to test the ph and part of the beauty of using ascorbic acid in a serum is that its easier to test the ph prior to applying. With applying directly to damp skin you really can't do that.

Without knowing the ingredients in the cream its like searching for a needle in a haystack unfortunately. Why not instead make a water serum that you apply first and then use the cream on top to help it penetrate deeper?
damselindistress wrote:
Thanks for the response. Its the Ultra fine L-Ascorbic acid. I had thought that if its in a solution with no water it will not oxidise. So I would apply it on damp skin so effectively would be like mixing it fresh every morning.
But when the cream gets weaker even though the mix is grainy, it didn't make sense to me

Thanks!
damselindistress
5% products discount

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:29 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your help. I guess its more complicated than I thought.

So the ingredients in my cream are Shea, Coconut oil, Aloe Gel, Aloe Oil, Calendula, Lavender & Chamomile.

Can I mix a quarter teaspoon of the L-ascorbic acid, half a teaspoon of cream and half a teaspoon of water to give me a 20% vit c serum/lotion? Ill check the PH before using.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
this is a link to a blog for a basic recipe of vitamin c serum that is water based.

http://www.skinacea.com/diy/diy-recipes.html#VITC

You can apply the serum first, then add your moisturizer, sunscreen, etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
The reason it turns watery is you have lowered the pH of the cream (more acidic). Most emulsion system has a gel-emulsifying agent (eg xanthan gum) which is pH sensitive.

If you like to experiment, add some vit C powder to a hair gel or a cheap serum, you will find that it will turn from gel to water.

Hope that helps.

damselindistress wrote:
Hi Everyone

Thanks in advance
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |