Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

ACV -- I'M A BELIEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
Helloooooo Ladies,

My friend, Austin (CareKate) was generous enough to send me her homemade Apple Cider Vinegar Super Toner and my goodness, I AM A BELIEVER. I used it ONCE and could see a freshness in my skin. I don't know if my skin is especially "fresh" today or if it's the toner but I AM A BELIEVER AND I AM GOING TO MAKE SOME OF THIS MYSELF AND IT WON'T COST ME $30 A BOTTLE!!!!!!!!

CareKate also sent me her Dr. Holland's Cleansing Creme (Holland is her last name, hence the take off of Dr. Hauschka) and it is SUPERB. I love it MORE than Dr. Hauschka's real version . . . it didn't leave my skin dry -- but it didn't leave it super super hydrated like the real creme usually does. It was a PERFECT hydration level.

I just have to get the recipes and figure out how I'll be able to grind the almonds to a nice pulp since I don't have a blender or a coffee grinder. I'm moving in a month back to Houston so I don't want to buy a plethora of appliances right now . . . so I'll likely wait until I'm back in Houston (where I DO have a blender, ironically).

But the Apple Cider Vinegar is a DEFINITE MUST-TRY PRODUCT. I think I can use the rest of my "real" Dr. H product for a few months and then start to make my own. But I'm about to throw out all of my toners just to use the ACV Toner.

The smell is okay to me -- not too vinegar-y but I actually LOVE vinegar. CareKate added green tea, ylang ylang, and vitamin c (don't know how she did the green tea and vitamin c parts) and it is heavenly.

Seriously -- I know some of you might think it's a hoax and the spa products are the best but you can TOTALLY customize these toners to your own liking (add your own essential oils) and ACV is WELL KNOWN for its great health effects (inside and out).

Anyway, just wanted to share how wonderful CareKate is for being so generous and introducing me to the world of great skin products at a BARGAIN BARGAIN BARGAIN! I will NEVER spend $30+ on a toner again!

Lisa
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Is it possible to get the recipe for this toner Smile ????? I too lover cider vinegar - I will have to speak nicely to CareKate Very Happy
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Recipe for CareKate’s homemade ACV Super Toner:

What you’ll need:

• Apple Cider Vinegar • Clean, empty 8 ounce glass or plastic bottle
• Green Tea • Distilled water (tap water is okay, but distilled is better!)
• Vit-C (lysorbic acid) powder or crystals
• Ylang Ylang essential oil

What you do:

• Fill bottle 1/3 full of ACV (my increase or decrease amount of vinegar to suit your own skin type, add more for oilier skin and less for dry skin.

• Heat 2/3 cup of distilled water and bring to boil, then add 3-4 green tea bags (you want to make the tea solution REALLY strong!!) and let it steep for 30 minutes or longer, then remove teabags. Once the green tea has cooled completely, pour into bottle with ACV (do not fill bottle completely full because you'll need room to add the Ylang Ylang and Vit-C).

• Add 25 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil to bottle (if your skin-type is not oily, simply add less Y-Y oil or leave it out altogether).

• Measure out one level teaspoon of Vit-C crystals and add to bottle with ACV and green tea. Shake bottle vigorously to dissolve crystals (if they do not dissolve right away, simply put lid on bottle and let sit for an hour to allow Vit-C crystals to solubilize in the solution. Once the Vit-C crystals have completely dissolved, your toner is ready for use. Shake well before using. The above 'recipe' should yield enough toner for a one-month supply.

Twice daily, after cleansing face as normal, put some toner on a cotton pad and gently swipe over your face and neck (if you prefer, you can use a spray bottle and spray the toner directly onto your face). Followup with your regular serums and/or moisturizer.

I'm using simple, "grocery-store" ACV (look in the condiment/salad dressing aisle) which costs less than $1.00USD for 16 ounces, but you can buy more 'exotic' apple cider vinegars from health food stores. Likewise, I bought my green tea at the supermarket (make sure you get one that is 100% green tea with no additional ingredients/flavors added), a box of 20 tea bags for around $3.00USD. Distilled water is available at the supermarket in the bottled water aisle for around 75¢ per gallon. Ylang Ylang essential oil is available at health food stores (I got mine at Whole Foods for about $7.99 for an 8- ounce bottle). Hint: If you're hoping to find it cheaper on Ebay or something, make sure that the Y-Y oil is stored in an amber or dark-blue glass bottle, because essential oils can be degraded by direct sunlight like from a clear glass bottle. I got my Vit-C crystals at Whole Foods for around $9.99USD for a big bottle (enough to yield *dozens* of batches of ACV super toner or homemade Vit-C serum!), but you can also order it online. Here's the link to the actual brand of Vit-C crystals that I bought:
http://amos.shop.com/cc.amos?main=catalog&prd=18010344&_x_=SouthNatural-NUTRICOLOGY-PURE-VITAMIN-C-ASCORBIC-POWDER-120-GM&ccsyn=260&pcd=11927518&ccsid=361105925-32479&_ccn_test=1 You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluable."

Okay, I think that's everything you need to know. Let me know if you have problems making your toner or need additional info!

Good luck and have fun,
Carrie
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:30 am      Reply with quote
You are so nice to just post it up for us all - with your testimonials you could have sold it on e-bay!!!!! Very Happy
Kk1668
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:55 am      Reply with quote
This is awesome, thanks Carekate and Lisa for sharing. My toner is running low, I was planning to look for a new one (now is Dermalogica), now I am going to try the Super ACV toner.

Carekate, so if my skin is combo to dry, I don't need to add Y-Y oil? And how long can I keep this homemade toner for (because the homemade C-serum lasts only a week)? Does it have to be kept in the fridge?

KK
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Carakate for the recipe, I'm gonna give the greentea and Vit C a second try, and this time I am sticking with YOUR formula Razz

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:25 am      Reply with quote
No, you can leave the Y-Y oil out if it’s not suitable for your skintype, or you can just add a drop or two – just cuz it smells yummy! I don’t keep my toner in the fridge, but I’m not counting on the Vit-C crystals in the toner to do the “real” work, I still use a (homemade) Vit-C serum...I just added the Vit-C crystals as “well, why not?” ingredient.
Kk1668
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I forgot to ask if I can add a couple of drops of Lavendar essence into the ACV toner? So I can just brew the strong Green tea from any green tea bags? - KK
BinaryStar
5% products discount

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
What's Dr. Holland's Cleansing Creme?
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:51 am      Reply with quote
Thanks again CareKate for posting this recipe! I will have to order some ylang-ylang and try it out. I've been just using ACV mixed with tap water and it's been GREAT!!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:09 am      Reply with quote
BinaryStar wrote:
What's Dr. Holland's Cleansing Creme?
It’s my homemade version/variation of the Dr. Hauschka’s Cleansing Cream that everyone raves about (I add Ylang Ylang oil and Vit-C crystals to my version). “Holland” is my last name...wish I could take credit for thinking up the clever pun/play on names, but it was actually Miss Mabsy who came up with it.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Kk1668 wrote:
I forgot to ask if I can add a couple of drops of Lavendar essence into the ACV toner?
I don’t know what benefits lavender oil has for the skin, but yes, you can add it to your toner. I think anything goes, really! If there’s a specific essential oil that you know has benefits for your skin, then go ahead and add it to your toner. For example, if you like your toners more “astrigent,” then I think you could probably add a couple drops of some kind of citrus oil (i.e.: orange, lemon, grapefruit). I don’t know if there is such a thing as cucumber essential oil, but I know a lot of store-bought toners have some kind of cucumber extract in them, so presumably cucumbers are good for the skin. What about chamomile, is that a good skincare ingredient? Isn’t it supposed to be “soothing”? Or perhaps peppermint oil, to “wake up” your skin? Please note: I’m just pulling these suggestions out of my ars... oops, I mean, hat, so please don’t add anything to your homemade toner without knowing it’s exact purpose!

Hmmm, you know what would be nice? If someone could find us a website that lists all of the different types of essential oils and what they’re supposed to be used for (read: what is their *purpose*) and post the link here so we could all use it as a reference as we put on our chef’s hat/apron or “mad scientist’s” lab coat and start brewing up all these homemade goodies!! Unfortunately, I’ve used up my allotted 30 minutes of “personal internet usage” time already today (I don’t have a PC at home, so I can only get online at work), so I can’t go search for such a website myself right now....maybe there’s some kind soul out there with a PC at home, a high-speed internet connection and a little free time and can go do the looking for me?! *Hint, hint!*
Kk1668 wrote:
So I can just brew the strong Green tea from any green tea bags? - KK
Yes, that's what I did.
ksmith5
5% products discount

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Carekate for the awesome ACV recipe! I haven't actually added all the "yummy stuff" like the green tea, vitamin C or Y-Y to it yet, but I plan to experiment with those. I have been using just the ACV and water and following it with Nivea moisturizing toner (I have super oily skin, but I was afraid with the ACV mopping up so much oil that my skin would go into "super oil production mode", but this balance has made my skin really clear. Once I add some of the other stuff I may not need to use the Nivea. Thanks for all your great advice! You should write a book! Very Happy
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:42 am      Reply with quote
I've often referred to the following documents when I've been trying to find out what the various essential oils are good for.
Skin Condition
Treating Facial Areas
Essential Oil Guide
Unfortunately, the documents don't give really specific information about how the various essential oils work on skin ailments but it might give people some ideas as to which oils they could be adding to their ACV toner recipes.
hardeehaha

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, I was doing a search for ACV organic and found this website. I ordered Raw Organic earlier today for use in a detoxifying soak. After reading all your posts and recipes I can't wait to get my ACV and start experimenting.

I always used the walmart stuff for my hair, soaking, drinking etc. until I read on a webpage that some vinegar sold "Inexpensivly" in grocery stores is synthetic, or made from coal. Kinda scary. Anyway, I have always put a teaspoon of vinegar in my grapefruit juice to cut the bitterness (although my favorite fruit in any form is grapefruit).

Someone asked about essential oils and their uses. The websitewww.mothernature.com has a library on oils and uses and the website http://www.naturesgift.com/infomenu.htm has information on using them safely.

Thanks for all the great ideas, you all sound like great people.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of my redness caused by age and misuse of the Suns rays?
Scout
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
My health food store sells ylang-ylang oil---1 ounce for $15.00! You bought 8 ounces for 8 dollars? Want a new best friend? Wink Rolling Eyes Shock Help! Laughing
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:42 am      Reply with quote
It's really great with the greentea and Vit C, although it still makes it stickier (I guess it's the vitC), I should have sat through the stickiness first time around. I love it now EXCEPT ONE BIG THING.......I need to think of a way to kill the SMELL of the thing, it got worse after a few days, I smell like "FOOD GONE BAD", it really bothered me when I sleep. Wonder if MORE essential oil will do the job....

D

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Wow!

Thanks for posting these cool recipes CareKate. These are a nice alternative to paying lots of $$$'s for cleansers & toners.

I am actually collecting the recipes I find on this site & saving them in a Word file to refer to later. Can't wait to get some ingredients and make like a mad scientist!

Also: for those with oily skin wondering about essential oils to add, I've heard that tea tree oil is excellent for troubled skin. Might be worthwhile to add a few drops of this to the recipe.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
OK I think I REALLY got ripped off on my ylang ylang bottle. I spent 11 dollars for....get this....HALF AN OUNCE! I am burning mad after seeing how much you guys paid. Mad

So I'll be adding this to my ACV toner as well as some vitamin C.

Question for CareKate -- what is the purpose of the green tea? I am just using water as a base. Just curious to know...thanks so much for your inspiration!
Scout
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
I wonder if I could grow a ylang-ylang tree Razz
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:10 am      Reply with quote
chimera wrote:
Question for CareKate -- what is the purpose of the green tea? I am just using water as a base. Just curious to know...thanks so much for your inspiration!
Green tea is supposed to be the most powerful antioxidant on earth...it's the big "buzz word" in skincare right now, which is why I added it.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:17 am      Reply with quote
My bad!!! I’m sorry for getting everyone up in arms about the price of their Ylang Ylang oil...over the weekend I had another look at my bottle of it and discovered mine is TWO ounces, which I paid $7.99USD plus tax. Whole Foods actually carried a couple brands of Y-Y oil, and one of which was a tiny bottle for over $15USD, which is why I opted for the cheaper one. I guess I still got a good deal on it, but I apologize for my mis-statement of 8-ounces for $7.99!!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:21 am      Reply with quote
P.S. For those of you with break-out prone skin, I would suggest adding a couple drops of Tea Tree essential oil to your toner, too (thanks for the reminder, CheezWhiz!)! And, if you’re making the homemade “Dr. Holland Cleansing Cream,” you could add a couple drops of TT oil to that, as well! I love tea tree oil and plan to add a bit to my next batch of super toner and homemade cleansing cream, too....
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, carekate. I bought a cup of green tea at the corner store and I've been letting it brew all afternoon. I plan to throw it into my toner and see if it makes a difference!

The ylang ylang oil makes it smell soooooooooo nice!!!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for this info. I use chilled green tea
but I'd never thought of adding ACV.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |