Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
kayanl
5% products discount

Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
I was over at LHC and saw a post about the Oil Cleansing Method. Then I thought about all the EDS members who have tried this with mixed results and also of DHCC (which really is just a variation of this) and seeing as it was a huge success among LHC members, I decided to try this. Here's what I've experienced so far:

Day 1: Used a 50%/50% mix of grapeseed oil and castor oil. I massaged for about 7 minutes and about 5 minutes into it I had 4 dried up sebum plugs come out from my cheek and chin area. Alas the blackheads on my nose refused to budge. After washing off the oil a sticky residue remained and the next day I had 3 white head like inflamations. Maybe I should have used less castor oil! However, there was no visible oil sheen and the next morning I discovered that the cystic acne bump on the side of my face had shrunk significantly. Miraculous!! The stupid thing had been there for over three months...

Day2: Mixed ~1/2 tbsp. grapeseed oil and 4 large drops of castor oil. Only had one sebum plug come out. After washing, skin felt a little tight, but was so very soft and glowy Very Happy. Also the inflamations from the day before had disappeared without a trace and there were no resulting breakouts this time.Very Happy

Day 3: (Just now) Used the same oil proportions as yesterday. During the massage I not only had a sebum plug come out, but a bunch of smaller black plugs! It seems that I finally got rid of the blackheads that had taken up a permanent residence on my nose. However this has left several gaping (clear) pores right at the tip of my nose. Sad Hopefully this will clear up.

I will continue to experiment and see how my skin likes this, yet based on the past couple of days I would say that I've been converted to the OCM. Is anybody else here willing to contribute to the experiment?
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
According to my aromatherapy book, lavender and bergamot are both antibac, plus lavender is soothing and healing whilst bergamot is astringent and an antidepressant. Geranium is sebum balancing as well as used to stimulate the lymph to clear out toxins, as is rosemary.

It recommends lavender an neroli to reduce scarring. All oils must be diluted in a carrier oil and then massaged into the skin. It isn't specific about combining the oils though. Maybe a mix of just two at a time would be best?

as to dry skin, chamomile, jasmine, neroli and rose (very recommended), are mentioned, but geranium, lavender and sandalwood are also recommended due to sebum regulation.

HTH, Liz Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:06 am      Reply with quote
kayanl wrote:
Does anybody know which essential oils would be good for dry AND oily skin that is sensitive and prone to hormonal acne, and which oils would help with very slow to fade acne scars? It seems that adding essential oils would be effective considering the amount of massaging that has to be done and the amount of time that it needs to be done for in OCM.
Click here for a fairly complete Essential Oil Guide for Hair and Skin: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5922&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

To find which oils would be good for dry AND oily skin, check out the section that groups EOs by skin-type and/or condition, then check to see which EOs are cross-referenced for both dry, oily and/or sensitive skin.

The OCM method has me very intrigued so I think I’m going to give it a go in the evenings starting this week. Will keep everyone posted of my results....many thanks to kayanl for bringing the OCM to our attention! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:
hm.... day 2 using OCM. This time, I massaged my skin for like 20 mins. Still no plugs came out of my pores?
Did I do something wrong/?
help......

The key I've noticed for my self and hubby is not only the massaging but the hot wash cloth. It helps open the pores. HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi lefemme,

Yes ... unfortunately I'm well over 50! Laughing Crying or Very sad Laughing I'll be 56 this year ... Confused

I use a 50/50 mix of cold pressed castor oil and grapeseed oil. I have a lovely ceramic "soap dispenser" that I fill with this mix, and then I just pump out what I need to cleanse my face. Smile [This seems to satisfy my need to have pretty cosmetic containers! Surprised ]

And ... no ... you didn't miss the instructions in this thread ... at least I don't think you did. There have been so many threads on this subject ... but I happened to save the "original" instructions that were posted on the Long Hair Forum ... [of all places ...] ... and they are posted below.

I'm afraid that I can't recall the name of the woman who originally posted this article ... Confused ... I wish I could give her credit.

Also ... the article talks about a combination of Extra Virgin Olive Oil [EVOO] and castor oil ... but my skin didn't like the Olive Oil ... which is why I use Grapeseed Oil instead. The castor oil is important ... but the other oil can be largely selected on your own preferences. Further ... if the 50/50 mix is too drying for your skin ... it's easy enough to alter the percentages.

Enjoy and HTH!

Mary

Oil Cleansing Method, or OCM

When cleansing and moisturizing your skin, it is imperative that you keep in mind that oil disolves oil. Do not be afraid of applying oil to your face. Oil, alone, will not cause you blemishes. Pimples, cysts, zits, blackheads and whiteheads are a result of several different factors including hormones, bacteria, dead skin cells and the buildup of these factors. Your skin naturally produces oil because it needs it. It is not a malicious force to be reckoned with, it is there for the benefit of your skin. It is naturally occurring. Oil helps lubricate, heal, protect, and moisturize your skin so that it may function properly. Properly functioning skin is beautiful, clear, and glowing.

While I'm talking about the benefits of oil applied externally, I'd like to mention how important it is to moisturize from the inside as well. WATER! Drink no less than 8 glasses of water a day. If your skin has issues with blemishes, drink up! Water will help release and remove the toxins from within, leaving behind glowing, dewey, toned skin. Carry a bottle of water around with you throughout the day so water is always available.

Now, to the point of this article.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is used for moisture, while Castor Oil (CO) is used for cleansing. Castor Oil tends to be a bit on the thick side, so a mix of the two (EVOO/CO) is frequently used. This allows for the Castor Oil to really sink into the pores and draw out the dirt and grime to the surface. You can vary this ratio to match your skins needs. More EVOO for moisture or more CO for cleansing (25/75 EVOO/CO for Oily skin, or 75/25 EVOO/CO for dry skin). EVOO is incredibly high in antioxidants, while CO is excellent for drawing and healing. CO has been the focus of many books and medical discussion because of its seemingly "magical" healing properties. It only makes sense (after a bit of research) that one would use CO on their face to help treat blemishes and acne, or simply to make their skin look and feel better.

As quoted in The Oil That Heals by Dr. McGarey, a country doctor (unknown?) states, "Castor oil will leave the body in better condition than it found it."

The Routine:
Massage a substantial amount (the cup of your palm, while hand is held open) of EVOO/CO into your face and neck.

This is to be done over makeup or any visible dirt. Take this time to give yourself a facial massage. Really work the oil into your skin. Take your time, breathe deeply, and relax. Sit down to do this if it helps.

You, of course, do not have to sit and relax, but keep in mind that stress isn't good for your skin and you should take any moment you can to destress and let tension float away.

Take a washcloth, terry cloth or flannel preferred, and soak it in steamy hot water. Wring it out and drape it over your face.

What we are doing is steaming your face as an esthetician would, but without the steam machine. You want to open your pores. This helps release any impurities from deep within your pores.

As the washcloth begins to cool, gently wipe the oil and dirt away. This will also help remove any dead skin cells that are stubbornly clinging on.

Rinse the washcloth out in hot water and wipe away any remaining impurities. You may have to do this two or three times more to remove any remaining dirt and oil residue, but it will come off leaving your skin with a beautiful, healthy glow. No additional cleansing is necessary.

After you have rinsed well, you can either splash your face with cool water to help tone and close your pores, or if your face feels tight, you can moisturize.

If your skin feels tight, take a tiny drop of your EVOO/CO, rub it between your clean, damp palms and pat it into your damp skin. Massage any oil residue into your skin so there is no film of oil left sitting on the surface. Being prone to breakouts, myself, I've found that this is perhaps the most important step.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I've been using GOW Cleansing Oil mixed with some castor, a couple drops of lemon, and a drop or two of tea tree. My favorite combo!
Kyrya
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
The lemon and tea tree go so well together!
It smells lovely!!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
InkyProse wrote:
You know, it seems like Apple Cider Vinegar would be very acidic and hard on your face.

Just do a Google search on Apple Cider Vinegar Toner and you will discover all the benefits it has. But you don't apply it straight to the face, it must be diluted with water. I also add Aspirin (Salicylic Acid) to my version which also helps to clean out and diminish pores.

Also see here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5419&highlight=apple+cider+vinegar

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:21 am      Reply with quote
InkyProse wrote:
I've also been meaning to look up the pearl paste mask again. I didn't save it for reference and I think it would work well with the toner.

Recipe for toner:
100ml Distilled Water
4 uncoated Aspirin
100ml Apple Cider Vinegar
few drops Lemon Essential Oil

Dissolve Aspirin in water, microwave on medium for minute or two to fully dissolve. Add ACV and couple drops of Lemon Oil to take away smell. Lemon is also good for diminishing pores.

Haven't tried the pearl paste mask but the other night I made a mask from egg yolks and sugar and thought it was great. It sets on your face like glue and isn't sticky at all. Eggs are rich in protein albumin, rich in amino acids that tone the skin and smooth out the fine lines.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
I just read the article on Castor Oil posted by Marta on Truth in Aging and have to say that I was a little annoyed that she labels the whole process of cleansing the skin with oil as "wacky". There are many cosmetic companies that manufacture cleansing oils as it is a known fact that oil cleanses oil. By making your own version you can just simply save yourself some cash.

In addition, I am unaware of anyone that advises the use of Castor Oil on its own - it is always mixed with another oil of choice. It is also not necessary to "spend an inordinate amount of time massaging into your face". I use OCM as I would any other cleanser.

I also find this comment: "Unless you have a Howard Hughes-like aversion to germs, rubbing your face with castor oil just seems like overkill" very uninformed. Her comments about the hazards of harvesting the oil sound completely dire - however, I can't comment on this as it's not something I'm knowledgeable about. However, Castor Oil has been around for eons and has been used extensively by our grandmothers and their grandmothers. I thought that it was unhelpful to insinuate that there was something dangerous about it.

I love the Truth in Aging website and refer to it quite often - so I'm very disappointed in this review. The OCM is simply a method of cleansing the skin - one that makes sense. It's neither wacky nor excessive.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
FatSwan,

I will answer all I can for you. I have always had very normal skin a once a month zit or two at most was it as a teen.

Any cloth will do yes it must be kept scrupiously clean, the washer will do just fine. Some people swear by the micro cloth, one poster bought a "bargin batch" of regular washcloths at the dollar store and said they were better at absorbing the oil off her face. We have just used regular wash cloths. The we comes next.

My son has acne and to make things worse a med he is on has acne as a side effect of coures it excaserbated his.
My routine for him:
Added Tea Tree oil to the mix as it kills bacteria. The biggest "danger" of OCM with acne is spreading the bacteria to other parts of the skin. This is another reason you must remove all oil completly as it cleans out the dirt, bacteria and oil.
I did have him wash, tone and use an oilfree mousturizer after.
Keep Castor oil at 50% this gets deep in and removes the offending gunk. It is also a drying oil, why s many with dry skin use a smaller amount in their mix.
The vaculifter will be for another to answer, I don't own one.
I think it is best to expect the breakouts with OCM at first but they pass and some don't have it happen, pleasant suprize. Your skin is purging the toxins out so if it happens it is a normal part of the process.

I am including a link that has much info on OCM and acne. It has recommendations for best oils to use with the Castor oil for acneic skin.

http://www.highonhealth.org/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-oil-cleansing-method/

I hope this helps you, the site I linked to is good, BTW my sons skin looks great.
Sorry if I missed anything!
I posted link as typing on iPhone (long story) my thumbs are getting caluses.

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
Fatswan, I have a Vaculifter and think it's a marvelous tool - however, I would not advise using it whilst your acne is active.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Songbird,
some oils do indeed go rancid rather quickly and should be refrigerated while others like olive oil don't. Off the top of head

the ones that need refrigeration

hempseed
emu
avocado
flaxseed
sunflower

there are others, Brain does not want to think right now, sorry. Some have said Grapeseed oil but mine lasts a long time just in the pantry.
I'll try to find a link that lists which ones I posted it somewhere but can't remember where!

HTH at least somewhat!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
FatSwan,

Just use the hot cloth without scrubbing on the scabed area, repeat until clean. Just keep patting gently. A tiny drop of Tee Tree oil plus Vitamin E dabbed very lightly on the scabs should hasten the healing, I would do this before bed, leaving enough time for it absorb, don't want it migrating into eyes.
BTW,
No problem with questions, I will happily answer what I can Very Happy

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Just a thought - for those of you who are having trouble with OCM, are you using a toner afterwards? IMO this is quite important as I find it thoroughly removes any oily residue that might be left on the skin after washing.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just saw this thread. I've been using the OCM for a few weeks now and what a difference! My pores have never been so clean and looked so small, YEAH!!!
I've been using 20%castor, 30%EVOO, 30%grapeseed - does anyone have a good toner recommendation? I've just been using mineral water(Avene). Thanks!
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:24 am      Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for finding that post DM. It was very helpful.
jabreu69

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:55 am      Reply with quote
I cannot believe the difference from my severe acne to no acne in just 3 weeks. My first 2 weeks I did the OCM everyday. 3rd week I have done it for 2 days so far and have only cleansed with water on alternate days. I am surprised at the results I have gotten with OIL! who would of believed that oil is a great natural cleanser. I have also been moisturizing with Almond oil instead of acne moisturizer (I found someone using this on youtube after she did the OCM). Everyone is complementing me. Even my scars are getting lighter. Hopefully those will diminish in time. Will keep you posted. Very Happy
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Here is a link to some of the recipes by forum members. If you scroll down, you'll see Oil Cleansing Method recipes.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

If you want to get started while you do more research, you could try a basic recipe using just castor oil and olive or sunflower oil.

Most people with oily skin use either a 50/50 mix or 40/60 with Castor oil being the 40 percent and olive oil being 60%. I find that way too drying so I use 25% Castor to 75% olive.

This is just a guideline to get you started. You will need to experiment to find a balance that is just right for you. Start with small batches so you can experiment without wasting a lot of product.

BTW, go to pg 18 of this thread and read all of the posts and links by DarkMoon. That will tell you a lot of what you need to know. HTH.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
I just tried the OCM cleansing method and absolutely love and need it. My skin was terribly dry especially around the upper eye area - it truly is amazing and thank you so much Dark Moon and others for your input - I put 10% castor, 45% evoo, 45% sunflower seed oil. Lynn

born 1964, some raw & live foods - medium complexion - sinking eye area yet manage to still have bags, loose, sagging upper eyelids, 11s not as bad as my N/L & M/L, microneedling .5 & 1mm, led, massage, Vit C, A, CP very occasionally, HA, EES, DMAE, MATRIXYL
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
Laughing Thanks Riley and Darkmoon. I love that saying. I read it somewhere years ago and have never forgotten it.

Darkmoon, yes, that's the only thing I don't like about hempseed oil. It has a shelf life of about 6 weeks. Even the smallest bottle is more than I need for 6 weeks of OCM and it's about $10 a bottle. I have started using it on my salads and cooked veggies because it has high doses of omega 3's and 6's and is also high in lienolic acid. Fortunately, I love the taste. I have heard some people say they don't like the flavor.

I think that's a great idea I don't mind the flavor either! I just wanted those reading the thread to be aware of the short shelf life, the idea of rancid oil just really bothers me!

That is really a great sig! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Oh for sure! I actually LOVE when i break out, it means whatever i'm doing is working!! I find it funny when people complain about a tiny bit of acne. I used to have it all over my face where there wasn't a smooth part of my skin available! It was such a horrible experience.

DarkMoon wrote:
cortigirl,

Good luck with it, I think you will continue to love it! Just don't get discouraged if you do have some breaking out, it's almost always a temporary thing and too many give up before they get that great clear skin that OCM will give if you stick it out! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
My skin purged for about 3 weeks...and now...is really super lovely and nice. Got pimples in places I had never had one before....Yuck,...but now all is clearin, my skin looks and feels great.

I used 50/50 castor EVOO....and have lowered the castor oil to 30/70 and it is not so drying.

The first week was pretty horrific....but I am glad I stuck it out...worth it to me now.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rileygirl,

I've been using Androcco cleansing oil for 1 month, but not everyday; I think I have used it for 10 times only.

For the first 5-6 times, I spent over 20 mins to cleanse my face, why so long? It is because the more I massaged my face, the more sand like sebum came off.

Right now, it only takes me 5-8 mins to finish the cleansing and skin tone of my upper check is more even than before.

I have HUGE pores on my upper cheeks and NL fold.

Before using the cleansing oil, I found that the skin tone of upper cheeks was much darker than other parts of my face. I thought it was due to sun damage.

Not until using the cleansing oil did I realize that the hardened sebum plugs clogged the pores and made the upper cheeks darker.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:34 am      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:
cm5597 wrote:
Hi Beann1210,

I'm still a total newbie when it comes to OCM, and I only use OCM about 1x per week on average. But what I do is to heat the oil itself (rather than a washcloth), and apply that heated oil to my face and massage it in. Then I hop into the shower and wash it off. I don't know how effective that is, but I still seem to get a lot out that way.

HTH Smile

Hi CM5597, can I ask you what you mean by 'get a lot out'? I hope that doesn't sound odd, but my experience with the OCM, doing it every 4 or 5 days, has been a little traumatizing: I get so much stuff out, large plugs, hard pieces, etc. It has really freaked me out. For the first 6 or 7 times I did it, I massaged for 2hrs because stuff was just pouring out and I didn't know how/when to stop.
Does that sound like your experience? The most recent 2 times haven't been nearly as bad, but still I get a lot of specks out. I had a bad purge from the earlier sessions too; ==. I think it was all the stuff that came to the surface, but not 'out'.
Thanks!

I'm so sorry, SoCalGirl, I totally didn't see your post until now. When I do it, I normally massage for about 20 minutes, and probably get several dozen tiny plugs out, mostly hardened white heads. Even then, I still feel that many/most of my pores are not dumping out their contents. For reference, I have normal skin with probably smaller than average pores for my age. I still feel like a newbie with this, so I'm probably not the best person to give you their perspective, but I hope this helps Smile

Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |