Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Has anyone's face gotten too white on Obagi?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Leaf

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hello. I've benefitted tremendously from all the information here on Obagi - thank you so much!

I am currently finishing my 6th week on Obagi. I'm committed to doing the entire 18 weeks, and am using the whole regimen. My main skin problem (I am 28 years old) was hyperpigmentation - I had lots of freckles, and many were coalescing into dark clusters and age spots, especially around my cheekbones. It was pretty bad, especially for my age. I am very happy with the results of Obagi so far. Most of the small/new freckles are gone, and the largest and darkest dark spots have lightened quite a bit.

However, my problem is that my entire face has gotten really, really pale. I have East Asian skin that tans very easily, and at this point, my face is way lighter than my neck/the rest of my body. Especially during the day, after I've applied the sunscreen (I'm not wearing makeup while on Obagi), my face looks like a ghost! I'm concerned that it's only going to get more severe during the 18 weeks.

Does anyone else have this problem, and how do you address it? Any thoughts/recommendations are much appreciated.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Leaf! I am sure others will come along and give their input, but you may want to try to take the Clear down to every other day and see if that doesn't help. Also, don't forget you can use the products on your neck/chest area 2-3 times a week, so that also may help you balance out! Good luck. Very Happy
Leaf

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much, Rileygirl! I've read almost all your posts on Obagi. Smile

I've been hesitant to reduce use of the Clear (just because I still want to get rid of the existing spots), but depending on what others say, I may try this. Thanks again!
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Leaf, I too am Asian and did Obagi for about 11 weeks. My face has always been slightly paler than my neck and significantly paler than the rest of my body. However, after the 11 weeks on Obagi, I noticed my face was even more pale (though not alarmingly so). My hperpigmentation is too widespread to do it, but if yours is concentrated in certain areas, you could try limiting application to just those areas.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
Gosh this makes me want to try Obagi and deal with the retin-a just to acheive this
ColbyCurly

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
if you dont have hyperpigmentation ...can you use obagi for lightnening up skin? I have pretty fair skin, but my friend is really dark and she doesnt' even go out in the sun . However she doesnt have any hyperpigmentation. can she use this? sometimes wehn we take pictures it looks like she has sun damage, but she doesnt go out in the sun much cuz she gets rashes
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Leaf,

Obagi did light my complexion one or two shades more by the 11th week along with dark patches and all.

I would use the Clear less often as rileygirl already said, but watching out that the hperpigmentation does not come back. I had to stop completely as I was not patient enough with the dryness and peeling effect so my dark spots are now there again.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
ColbyCurly wrote:
if you dont have hyperpigmentation ...can you use obagi for lightnening up skin? I have pretty fair skin, but my friend is really dark and she doesnt' even go out in the sun . However she doesnt have any hyperpigmentation. can she use this? sometimes wehn we take pictures it looks like she has sun damage, but she doesnt go out in the sun much cuz she gets rashes

The hydroquinone would possibly lighten up her skin, but I know there are different recommendations for darker skin types. I would definitely have your friend see a derm or an esty and get advice!
luvskincare
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Is it possible to get results from Obagi without using retin-a and instead using a retinol product?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
luvskincare wrote:
Is it possible to get results from Obagi without using retin-a and instead using a retinol product?

Possibly. I know that since ZO Skin Care is out, there have been recommendations to substitute the Retin A with the retinol product they have. You could give it a shot and see!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:
Hi Leaf,

Obagi did light my complexion one or two shades more by the 11th week along with dark patches and all.

I would use the Clear less often as rileygirl already said, but watching out that the hperpigmentation does not come back. I had to stop completely as I was not patient enough with the dryness and peeling effect so my dark spots are now there again.

Hi Margarett,
That's a real bummer!! Did you try to do any maintenance at all?

5% products discount

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy Very Happy thank u
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
margarett wrote:
Hi Leaf,

Hi Margarett,
That's a real bummer!! Did you try to do any maintenance at all?

Hi Kims!

I tried for some time to do the Clear alone twice a day, trying to skip the retin-a, but that did not work. Right now I will concentrate on keeping my skin moisturized; by the end of Summer I will deal with the dark patches which have not gotten worse and I can disguise with concealer and some blush.
Leaf

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your responses!

Colby Curly - My African-American friend uses Obagi and she has not experienced any overall skin lightening (other than just the hyperpigmented spots). She does, however, have fairly light skin to begin with.

As an update, I'm now in my 8th week. A couple of recent observations:

1. My skin looks worse now than it did a couple of weeks ago. Sad I've had some acne recently, and the resulting hyperpigmentation and redness are just really visible against my now very pale face.

2. Almost all of my light freckles are gone. I still have a dark cluster of spots on each cheekbone, but these are the areas that have been around the longest (for a few years now). They have lightened quite a bit since I started, but I think they look darker now than they did a couple of weeks ago, again due to the fact that my overall face has gotten very pale.

3. I have major wrinkles under my eyes when I smile. Sad I did not have any wrinkles before starting Obagi, and I am hoping that this is temporary... Does anyone have any input on when skin starts getting less dry?

Overall, I know I'm not even at the halfway mark, and hopefully my skin will continue to improve. I've yet to regret starting Obagi, BUT of course encouragement is always appreciated. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |