Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: Jurlique Rose Silk Dust
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
tynkerbell
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
I know many reviews have been written for this, so I will keep it short and sweet (:

I have HYPER OILY skin, that becomes like a grease field by midday.

However, when I use this UNDER my jane iredale, it helps to keep the oilies away, so my face looks around 50% less shinier.

I use my fingers to apply them why my skin gets oily the most, around the ridges of my nose etc. and then i brush it all over before putting make up. I find it works just as well, if not better, this way then apply over. Of course you can apply over as well.

The reason I do not to that is because it makes my face look really powdery. I find that although it does not make you look much whiter, it really makes you look powdered. As such, a mineral make up over it helps to lessen this effect.

This product contains corn starch, but no talc. I took a short afternoon nap with this on before and it caused a few spots. So perhaps it has some characteristics like make up!
Mabsy

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:20 am      Reply with quote
I use this with a fluffy kabuki brush and it just gives me a matte finish and keeps my face from going shiny. I don't look white or powdery at all, although maybe if I used it over the JI powder then it might be a bit much. I would suggest that you spritz your face to set your makeup and get rid of that powdery look if you would like to use this over your JI mineral powder.

Btw, have you tried the JI Absence under your JI?

5% products discount

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:31 am      Reply with quote
I wouldn't live without this product in the summer months. I have found it to be the best I have tried when dealing with the Queensland humidity here. I prefer the lavender to the rose myself
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:19 am      Reply with quote
I just love the smell and luxurious feel of the rose dust...I don't use it every day, just some days when I want the make-up to stay put and matte all day long without touch-ups... Very Happy
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
OK so I think I may have to get some of this, just can't decide Lavender or Rose???

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
perhaps people with darker skin tones find using certain powders to create a fluffy powder effect?

i find that it is very easy to over do the mineral powder on my olive-ish skin tone. especially things that are 'transculent'.
Mabsy

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:45 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
OK so I think I may have to get some of this, just can't decide Lavender or Rose???

I definitely prefer the rose, but then again I prefer rose scents to lavender so it's not a big surprise....

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:40 am      Reply with quote
I havn't tried the absence before Mabsy. Is it good?

Anyway, i'm having a little problem in this make up department. I seem to do my make up horribly. I'm not your makeupy kind of girl so it seems all wrong!

This is what I do -

First I put on vitamin c, and a b5 gel

After that I use dermalogica's tinted moisturized * spam * sunscreen. (It looks a bit streaky now)

Then i put on this rose silk dust to absorb the shine. Now my skin looks weird already. It looks cakey and streaky.

To top it off, i brush the Jane Iredale over and tada, i've gone patchy!

Is it my brushing technique? I use the JI Handi Brush.

I also recently purchased the disappear in medium, it looks very yellow and bright on my skin. so instead of allowing me to use less JI mineral powder, I seem to have to use more to camoflauge the powder. Also, it makes my skin look streaky, cakey and at worst leathered. WEIRD!

haha. sometimes it comes to the point where I think I will look better without all those makeup, save for all those pimples showing!

Can you ladies please give me some tips on how to apply this concealer as well as how to brush on my make up?

Thank you very much!
Mabsy

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:50 am      Reply with quote
I found Absence to be good but I don't like the fact that the compact very quickly catches all sorts of dust particles etc and they stick to the surface of the primer. The primer itself seems good though and does help with oil control.

What skin type do you have? I would suggest that you need to wait a bit between applying the vit C and the B5 gel. Then once the B5 absorbs, apply the the tinted moisturiser. WAIT for it to absorb - try 10 minutes. Then apply the Jane Iredale (wash the brush often or application won't be as good) with a light hand building if you need more coverage and then apply the Jurlique over the top.

I guess the first thing to try is to apply the JI mineral foundation without using all the other steps described above. If you apply the JI to a moisturised (but not moist/oily) face and it's still patchy then that would be a good indication that it's your application technique.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Here is an interesting thought, I had a look at the ingredients of the Jurlique silk dusts and noticed orris root, now I had some orris root in the cupboard doing nothing and tried applying some as a powder very lightly with my fingers. It has a talc consistency, a little coarser but it worked in taking away the shine.
I thought it would be possible to take a cotton wool bal and put some essential oils on the place inside a jar with the orris root powder and maybe you have Jurlique silk dust? Think
The Orris root powder smell divine, like violets.
Here is what I found about it on google:

http://www.alchemy-works.com/herb_orris_root.html

http://www.countryscentiments.com/Herbs.html

http://www.somaessentials.com/ntbodyp.html

http://www.greenchronicle.co.uk/health_beauty/dry_shampoo_recipe.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Tynkerbell...

Try this; use your serums, skipp the tinted moisturiser, apply JI powder (preferebly the pressed one... I like using the flocked sponge for easy full coverage application), then as a last step dust on the Rose silk dust with your Handi brush. Very Happy
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
i started using Jurlique Lavender silk dust about 2 months ago and since then, i feel my skin does not become as congested (as it would with regular liquid foundation and pressed powder). i tried applying the silk dust with my fingers on and around my nose before i applied my JI powder like tynkerbell and it does indeed keep the shinies away much longer.

tynkerbell- i don't feel i have the problem of it being too matte. i think it's b/c i apply most of it before my JI powder and a little bit afterwards. i also use a large brush and blend it well. my skin is also so oily that it not too long after applying it that i don't look totally matte anymore but just right. maybe i'm just not as bothered by the total matte effect becuase i know i will be shiny later on and it's nice to be mattefied for a change. i'll have to give my face a more objective (as much as is possible) look the next time i put on my make-up. i definitely don't want to look like i got attacked by chalk board erasers.

anyway, here's what i like about the lavender dust:

-smells great! the lavender isn't over powering at all because there are other ingredients that make it smell delicious.
-i can apply it midday w/out clogging my pores or causing a breakout like i did when i used regular pressed powder (in fact, i got to where i never used reg pressed powder midday). (i also use blotting papers).
-it helps with oilines
-does not irritate my skin, helps calm and soothe it
-the ingredients are very simply and natural.
-similarly with JI, i feel like i am not wearing makeup, but skin care treatments.

so, rosebud- i think you should give it a try. i read somewhere that the lavender is a little better for oily and breakout prone skin but they both contain rose and lavender. so if you like more of a rose smell, i would go with the rose. whatever your little nose desires Wink

hth!
amnis

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
tynkerbell-
what is your purpose for using the disappear? (under eye concealer, blemish, discoloration etc.)

also, in regard to looking cakey etc... my suggestion is to stay simple. the less stuff i put on my face in the morning, the better b/c if i'm not careful i will look cakey too. i agree with happyhippie that you should skip the tinted moisturizer.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
one more thing...

is there a reason why any of you with the oiliness troubles haven't tried JI's PureMatte finish powder? i never read anything about it on this forum...

Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
one more thing...

is there a reason why any of you with the oiliness troubles haven't tried JI's PureMatte finish powder? i never read anything about it on this forum...

I considered buying the PureMatte powder a few months back. Instead I went for the JI Absence. The Absence didn't make any difference to my oily skin whatsoever. After that I decided not to bother trying the PureMatte as I seriously doubted it would work for my oily skin based on the complete failure of Absence as a product.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:37 am      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:
amnis wrote:
one more thing...

I considered buying the PureMatte powder a few months back. Instead I went for the JI Absence. The Absence didn't make any difference to my oily skin whatsoever. After that I decided not to bother trying the PureMatte as I seriously doubted it would work for my oily skin based on the complete failure of Absence as a product.
I 2nd that!! If you have seriously oily skin, Absence is not going to do a damn thing to help alleviate that problem. IMO, it only helps with people who have moderately oily skin and/or T-zone.

If you want a real makeup primer that you put on even before the layer of Silk Dust, you need to get yourself some plain, unflavored Milk of Magnesia (yes, the laxative) and apply a very thin layer of it, let it dry for about 45 seconds, then apply your Silk Dust, the foundation/blush/etc., then set everything with a final layer of Silk Dust.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:17 am      Reply with quote
I have been on the fence about this product and I think that I will give in to temptation and drop this in my basket.

Fri May 03, 2024 9:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |