Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
question about blackhead extractions
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rootsy

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all. While contemplating my next skin care purchase, I checked out a blackhead extracter tool on Sephora and was wondering....
Does anybody use one of these things at home?
If so, how? Did it do a good job?
Has anyone incurred skin damage from trying this on themselves?
I have had facials before so I know what it does, but I don't want to spend the $$ for a facial when I have so many great products at home to use. The extraction process is the only thing I'm missing (and the pampering).I'd love to read your experiences with this tool. Thanks!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Rootsy

I bought a long stemmed metal black head extractor from the Body Shop a few years ago.

It was one with two loops at each end, one very small, and one medium sized.

I ended up causing considerable damage to my skin after using it a bit too visciously! I had a few broken capillaries in the areas where I used a bit too much strength to try and extract the blackheads. Even after a hot shower, many blackheads are still too deep to be extracted with pressure, and need something like kaolin clay to do the work.

The key to using it is: if the blackhead does not come out gently when using the extractor, it is not ready to come out at all!

I think at most beauty salons, they use an extractor that has a needle point at the end. It's the same as using a sewing needle at home.

Now I am not too keen to try these in a public place, even if they are sanitised or whatnot. Make sure they have good sanitation practicses, else you might end up catching something nasty off the needle from someone elses' zit (sorry to be gross).
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Even after a hot shower, many blackheads are still too deep to be extracted with pressure, and need something like kaolin clay to do the work

Ditto. I have this Tweezerman tool:
http://www.tweezerman.com/index.cfm?page=productdetail&prod=93

I used to really rely on it Smile but then learned the hard way that it's best to never press with it - I mean never.

It's just a tool to push something that can come out on its own.

And if you attempt a deep extraction, definitely steam your face first (or do it right after a shower). That way even if you over-do it, it won't leave as bad deep red marks.
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
By the way, Tweezerman site has this helpful Tips page on facial extractions:

http://www.tweezerman.com/index.cfm?page=page&pageid=3
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |