Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
mineral makeup technique
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi
Does anyone know correct technique for using mineral makeup? I got a sample and find it really messy and it made my little dry flakes more noticeable.
Do you usually use a brush or makeup sponge? I was using my fingers because it was just in a little bag.
Thanks
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carolb69,

I always use brushes to apply my mineral makeup. I do know that using your fingers isn't a good idea as it can introduce bacteria into the mix.

I use brushes to apply my mineral makeup ... different sizes and types for different aspects of the task.

I have a small brush to layer the foundation powder onto specific areas that need a bit more coverage. I use a firmer, large brush to apply the Powder Foundation all over my face ... and a very large, soft brush to apply the "setting" powder.

Most brands of Mineral Makeup have their own brushes ... but that doesn't mean that you necessarily need to purchase those brushes. I just carefully inspected the brushes and found the nearest "match" within my own brushes. [I've always used brushes to apply my makeup]

I know that some brands of mineral makeup also can be applied with a non-latex sponge ... and I think the "non-latex" is due to any potential allergy to latex, but I'm not sure about that.

The key to using brushes, in my opinion, is that it's very important to make sure that your brushes are kept very clean. I keep an alcohol solution [2/3 water 1/3 alcohol] in a spray bottle and spray each brush after each use. If necessary [in the case of bronzers/blushers] I wash the bristles with soap and water prior to spritzing with the alcohol solution.

That might be overkill but I figure any time my brushes touch my face, there's a chance of transferring bacteria from my skin onto the brush ... Very Happy

Mary
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Here's what I found works for me -
Put a little MM in the jar lid (or any jar lid if you only have baggies) and swirl a soft fluffy (natural hair works best)brush into the minerals until they are 'absorbed' into the bristles then tap the brush gently to remove excess. Apply to your skin with a light hand, using a buffing action, start away from any open pores (although some people recommend using a downward stroke). Use a small amount (less than you think you need!)and re do until you have sufficient coverage. I use a soft makeup sponge over any areas that have open pores, dry patches etc in a downward action to blend them away. I then finish with a finishing powder applied in the same way then a spritz of toner or mineral water (Avene) to 'set' everything and give a more natural look.

ETA - A small brush can be used to spot touch over any blemishes like a concealer too - apply in a tapping motion.

Hope that helps!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Very Happy I need to get a brush by the sounds of it,the one the company i bought from wanted $40 au though so may have to look elsewhere. Have you tried mixing with moisteriser to make a cream makeup?Thanks
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:56 am      Reply with quote
I found a brush works best - and you can get a nice one for less than that I'm sure.

Yes I have tried mixing it but I didn't like it so much - I found it went a bit patchy - I guess it depends on your skin type and the brands you're using though? Much prefer it applied loose myself.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Yeah i didnt like it much either with a cream. I have to say even though there were some little patchy bits where it seemed to catch on dry flakes my skin looked nice and felt like it could breathe,it must be heaps better for your skin than my usual foundation loaded with crap!
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:18 am      Reply with quote
It helps a lot if you put on moisturizer, let it set for a few minutes then blot the excess. The MMU sits better on my skin this way. And if you still have problems use a spritz to set like Lucia said.

It took me a while to get MMU right, so don't get discouraged! HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:24 am      Reply with quote
Thanks heaps Very Happy
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lucia,

I never thought of the sponge applicator for open pore areas!

I must try that! Thanks!

Mary
bluefish
5% products discount

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:48 am      Reply with quote
I have used flat-top brush for MMU. I spent weeks to master how to apply it.

I reciently learnd to use a flocked sponge to apply MMU. It is wonderful. It has more coverage than a brush and it is easier to use: soak the sponge and squize off the water, dip the foundation powder on, and apply to the face.
Toronto_Belle
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:17 am      Reply with quote
bluefish wrote:

I reciently learnd to use a flocked sponge to apply MMU. It is wonderful. It has more coverage than a brush and it is easier to use: soak the sponge and squize off the water, dip the foundation powder on, and apply to the face.

What's a "Flocked sponge"?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi Toronto-Belle,

A "flocked sponge" is a textured sponge ...

I know this because one comes with the CoverFX Mineral Powder Foundation and I went to have a look at it! Laughing

I've never tried wetting the sponge, squeezing out the water and then applying the powder foundation, however.

Bluefish ... is this pressed powder foundation or loose powder foundation?

I must try this method! Razz

Mary
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
I love my mineral foundation (BeautifulNewSkin) and I use either....a Handi brush, which is a flat head like JI and I use to sell one exactly like it, OR a Kabuki and sometimes a flock sponge to smooth it out.

I like to pick up a tiny bit of minerals with the brush and tap it out onto a kleenex/tissue and use the minerals from the tissue. You only need a little bit to cover the face.

When using minerals, exfoliation is key, makes the minerals sit so much nicer on your skin. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
When using minerals, exfoliation is key, makes the minerals sit so much nicer on your skin.

Great rec Sassyred Smile My MMU looks so good the morning after an aspirin mask or Dermalogica Microfoliant Very Happy

5% products discount

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
The flocked sponge is looked like this --

http://www.essentialbeautysupplies.com/cart/index.php?pg=product&pid=1701

I use it with my loose MMU. But I've also heard that some others also use it with their pressed powder. I also heard that some ladies they mixed MMU with aloe, moisturizer, sunscreen, though I have not tried them yet.

I love handi brush and I have two of them. But I can not restrain myself when I heard that the squirrel flat top brush is wonderful with MMU, and I bought one too. I think both of them are wonderful (I can not tell the difference of them).
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Carol, the Mineral Essence site has a comprehensive tutorial on applying MMU:

Quote:
http://www.mineralessence.com/how_to_apply.html

Anya
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:57 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your posts they were very helpful Very Happy
Lucia what is the avene spray like,is it very light? I've always been meaning to try this but never got round to it.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:59 am      Reply with quote
The Avene Eau Thermale spray is extremely light - more of a mist than a spray - and it doesn't seem to dry my skin out like some other mineral sprays do (Evian etc) Smile

5% products discount

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Carol, try this:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/bareescentuals/21179.html?view=86203#t86203

It's an increadibly detailed tutorial with lots of pictures! That girl is so cool for doing that!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lucia, I wanna ask about the Avene Spray, you said that it's very light, but still, won't it smudge your makeup if you spray it directly onto your face? I tried a spray from Vichy before, and my face was actually wet from it. Or is there a proper way to spray it? Also, if you spray it after the makeup, wont't the makeup be absorbed into the skin too? Anyway, sorry for all those questions...hehe Laughing Thank you so much! Very Happy
Mabsy

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:29 am      Reply with quote
I've found that the best tool for me to apply mineral makeup is the Jane Iredale Handi brush (with the flat base of bristles). I use JI pressed base and this brush makes it super easy. It's also important to exfoliate your skin regularly, so you're starting with a smooth surface, and applying the mineral foundation after you have given your moisturiser sufficient time to sink in (so it doesn't 'grab' more to some places). I always finish off by spraying my face. So far my favorites for this have been the Jane Iredale D2O, Jurlique Rosewater spray, and Thalgo Marine Mist (this is actually moisturising so I wouldn't recommend this unless it's winter or your skin is dry). HTH

Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |