Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Tighten & Lift Peptight™ 360˚ Tightening Eye Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)
Sea salt bath, Apple Cider Toner, etc...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Toronto_Belle
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi Smile

I went to the hair salon to go a bit darker (I was very blonde but highlights only- lots and lots of them, so you always saw roots), anyhow, the colour tech lightened my roots and they turned orangey...I freaked. I looked like a freak! I was desperate as I had no money left after. I remembered reading carekates glowing recommendation of Wella professional (but able to use at home if you know what you're doing) haircolor. So, I borrowed a few bucks, went to the beauty supply and bought the products.

My hair looks good but after one day, the ends
looked dry and dull. So, I went ahead and purchased some apple cider vinegar and added it to my shampoo. I used that and a Kolestral (by Wella) treatment in my hair for 20 minutes, while I sat in a hot bath of 3/4ths of a box of sea salts.

<Question: How long should I sit in a bath of seasalts for optimum effect AND how many baths are needed start seeing results?>

I went to sleep with my hair partially damp. Woke up with moist hair and I applied this Fructus moisture liquid and dried my hair with a dryer for about 5 minutes. My hair feels and looks better, so I will continue treating it.

<Question: Are there any additional hair masks or supplements I can take to improve my hair condition?>

THANKS for reading!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:13 am      Reply with quote
I'm confused. sea salt for your hair? I know it remineralises skin but I was always under the impression that salt dries hair. I also use it as a fixitive when naturally dying my hair???????

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Eve wrote:
I'm confused. sea salt for your hair? I know it remineralises skin but I was always under the impression that salt dries hair. I also use it as a fixitive when naturally dying my hair???????

Lol. No, no...Smile

Basically, I multi-tasked and killed two birds with one stone. I put a treatment mask in my hair, wrapped my hair in a bag and then relaxed in a bath of sea salts. I did NOT, I repeat, I did NOT put salt in my hair! Lol. MY hair would fall right out if I ever did something that ridiculous Smile

Belle

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Neutrogena's Daily Deep Conditioner for about a month now and my hair is so soft and feels stronger and thicker.

In the last year I've started growing my hair out, for years it was very, very short so damage wasn't an issue. In the last 6 months I've also started dying my hair every 4 weeks (darn grey) and with it being longer it was feeling pretty dry but the Daily Deep Conditioner is fixing me up. I've also used Redken's Extreme, it's strongly fragranced though so I use it less often.

Regular trims also really help, especially after I've dyed it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:31 am      Reply with quote
Toronto_Belle wrote:
Eve wrote:

Lol. No, no...Smile

Basically, I multi-tasked and killed two birds with one stone. I put a treatment mask in my hair, wrapped my hair in a bag and then relaxed in a bath of sea salts. I did NOT, I repeat, I did NOT put salt in my hair! Lol. MY hair would fall right out if I ever did something that ridiculous Smile

Belle

Laughing I thought it didn't sound right, blame it on the brain fog I've got with this cold.

A good 20min is what I usually do with sea salts in the tub Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:04 am      Reply with quote
Toronto_Belle:

I'm thrilled that you're seeing results with self-help, but don't hesitate to ask your color tech for a refund. They should honor your request if they are professionals. You deserve it. When you leave the salon, the work should be done. Exclamation

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:52 am      Reply with quote
Eve wrote:

Laughing I thought it didn't sound right, blame it on the brain fog I've got with this cold.

A good 20min is what I usually do with sea salts in the tub Wink

Ha! Lol. No problem, sometimes it takes me a while to word my thoughts so that I can understand them. Lol.

Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks LandB! I am happy to be taking the healthy route once again.

As for the colour tech and getting my money back...as much as I'd like to think of myself as assertive and self-fair (is that a term? Lol) I really felt awkward and bad about saying anything negative. Isn't that terrible?

Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Toronto_Belle wrote:
<Question: Are there any additional hair masks or supplements I can take to improve my hair condition?>
To maintain your hair color, you should add 1-2 tablespoons of ACV to your color-safe shampoo and/or conditioner. As for conditioning treatments, I’m partial to L’oreal Natures Therapy Mega Moisture Conditioning Mask which is the “generic” equivalent of the high-dollar “Kerastase” line because they’re both made by L’oreal. You can get the Natures Therapy at Sallys, a “sample” packet is $1.99USD but contains enough product for 2-5 treatments, and a large tub is around $11.99. I’ve had my tub since March 2004 and I’ve still got about 1/3 left!

Also, it’s a good idea to give your hair a protein treatment maybe once per month. A cheap DIY protein treatment is simply to slather your hair in olive, jojoba or coconut oil and cover your hair with a plastic shower cap and leave on for at least 30 minutes.

By the way, I wanted to share my fave new trick when using my beloved Wella Color Charm DIY hair color: before dying my hair, I apply a protein treatment and let it set in for 15-20 minutes, then I prepare my hairdye mixture and apply it directly over the protein treatment. You cannot even begin to imagine how much shinier your hair turns out when you’ve finished and are blow drying and styling your glossy new color!!!! It completely blew me away because it looked like I had applied a shine serum to my hair even though I hadn’t!

I actually came up with the idea for applying the protein/oil treatment before doing my color when I saw one of those Sarah Jessica Parker commercials where she’s hawking Garnier Nutrisse hair color and she says what makes Nutrisse so wonderful is the fact that the dye actually contains “nourishing avocado and grapeseed oils.” That’s when the little light bulb went off in CareKate’s head and she had a brainstorm!

So anyway, even if you guys are only using some drugstore hair dye kit, you should really try applying the protein treatment first before you actually put the dye on your hair.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Whoa...great idea! I would be worried that the protein treatment would interfere with the dye, etc...but if you've tried it and it works, then- hey, why not?! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:05 am      Reply with quote
CK doesn't it interfere with the penetration of the dye?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:34 am      Reply with quote
Eve wrote:
CK doesn't it interfere with the penetration of the dye?
No, not at all! If anything it makes the color penetrate more evenly so the weaker areas on the hair shaft don't "grab" too much color.

I really think I must be on to something with the protein/oil treatment before coloring because I’m a big fan of the Phytolagie line of hair products, specifically their Phytocitrus shampoo and Phytocitrus hair mask – it’s great for “refreshing” your highlights once they start to fade and get brassy looking. Although the Phyto line is actually best known as the hair products that all the “Baywatch Babes” used on the set to keep the sun and surf from destroying their peroxide-blonde hair.

Anyway, when I was at one of my beauty boutiques yesterday arranging a CP for an MUA/EDS member, they had a Phytocitrus shampoo/hair mask bonus set that included a sample of a pre-coloring intensive hair treatment and when I checked the ingredients, it was basically a blend of several oils (jojoba/avocado/grapeseed) and essential oils, and when I checked the instructions for usage for this treatment, it said something like “Bring this treatment along to your salon and tell your stylist to apply it immediately before any coloring service, do not rinse.” And you won’t believe this: Phyto sells full-size tubes of this pre-color treatment for around $15 per vial!! You can make the same damn stuff from items that you probably already have in your kitchen or bathroom.

BTW, I also color my mom’s hair with my beloved Wella Color Charm dye which I custom-blend to give her what she claims is “the best home hair color that I’ve ever used” in terms of results. I colored her hair last weekend and this time I used the DIY protein treatment on her before I applied the dye, and again it gave her incredibly shiney, incredibly even-looking results!

I guess this means I need to go update my product review of Color Charm to include this juicy little application hint....

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Awesome (gosh I disliket hat word, but it's appropriate! Lol).

I have a question: I have a medium brown natural hair color which I haven't seen in a decade. Anyhow, I am slowly going darker (from bright blonde to...darker, lol). Basically, I tried a semi-permanent color from Wella, ala CareKates rec (not the colorcharm as I was scared to attempt a permanent color for my first at home application) Anyhow, the color is "Soft Caramel" and I love it. I had professional highlights put in before I coloured it myself and it looks so friggin great, I'm really happy!

Side question: can we post photos in our posts? I'd love to show my before and after colors, etc.

Anyhow, would you advise me to continue lightening my roots and adding highlights to my roots professionally or can I do it by myself? I would basically only do my roots...that wouldn't be too expensive to try at the salon, would it? And if I did do it professionally, then went home with wet hair a professional treatment mask on and applied my wella color on top...would that be too harsh, especially if the color is semi-permanent?

Thanks for reading my loooong post! Lol.

Belle

Sun May 12, 2024 2:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |