Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone had good results with their homemade vitamin c serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi
I just made mine and was wondering if anyone who also uses the homemade version has been happy with the results?And what results you've had.
I think I'm a bit sceptical even though after looking at ingrediants of ultraceuticals theres not much difference in ingrediants,theres just a few more ingrediants and they charge $75!
Ultraceuticals serum;
Purified water, propylene glycol, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C, 10%), EDTA disodium, D&C yellow No.10. Preservatives: Germaben IIE.
Its amazing they charge us so much when the ingrediants are so cheap,my propylene glycol only cost me $7 for a huge 1 kg bottle
I think I'm just used to using a c serum thats orangy in colour so it feels a bit funny putting this clear liquid on.Wierd I know.
How often do you all make a new batch?(cause of the water degrading vit c)
Also should I keep it in the fridge?
Thanks Very Happy
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carol,

I have only used one commercial brand of Vitamin C serum ... and I wasn't impressed. For one thing it was in a clear [albeit frosted] glass bottle ... and as we all know now, Vitamin C is degraded by light as well as by air and heat.

I've been making my own Vitamin C serum for a couple of months now and I'm very happy with it. I don't know exactly how to calculate the "results" except that my skin feels smoother ... and is "brighter".

I think that Vitamin C is something whose results are less immediately obvious than with some other products.

I remake mine every 5 to 7 days ... and I keep it in the refrigerator because it's so lovely and cool when I apply it. I don't know whether it's necessary to keep it in the fridge ... but I do know that refrigeration might preserve the percentage of potency longer.

As for the difference in the cost ... well ... you're never just paying for the product's ingredients. You are always paying for the company's marketing/advertising, their overhead, and there are a whole lot of people, even members of EDS, who are convinced that a product can't be good unless it costs an outrageous amount.

There is a book, whose arrival in my mailbox is easgerly anticipated, called Biochemistry of Beauty which explains the science behind the ingredients in skin care products ... and also provides formulations for making your own.

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/browse/store/biochem.30393410

There is also a Biochemistry of Beauty forum, some of which is available to the public which you might also find to be interesting reading.

http://biochemistryofbeauty.com

Just click on the forum and I believe there are two or three boards that are "open" for reading. It's highly technical in some posts, but not really as scary as it first seems. The author of the book [and owner of the site] holds firmly to the belief that there are a great many grossly overpriced products out there. Laughing

For me, I just don't have sufficient disposable income to be able to purchase a whole bunch of excessively expensive products. I'd far rather make some of the basic things myself and save my funds for the really important stuff. Very Happy

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:01 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
Ultraceuticals serum:
Purified water, propylene glycol, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C, 10%), EDTA disodium, D&C yellow No.10. Preservatives: Germaben IIE.

I think I'm just used to using a c serum thats orangy in colour so it feels a bit funny putting this clear liquid on.
The above ingredient, highlighted in bold red text, is what makes your pricey Ultraceuticals look orange -- it's artificial coloring! If it makes you feel better, just add a drop or two of yellow and red food coloring to your homemade serum....And you can buy a big bottle of Germaben for a couple bucks fromwww.thepersonalformulator.com....

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:33 am      Reply with quote
U know I think I notice the same things that Mary mentioned. However, I find that I apply more than a few drops of this stuff on my face b/c it's so liquidy (I have to put like 10 drops to cover my whole face and neck). I hope I'm not overdoing it. Confused I think for my next batch I'm going buy pectin and try Mary's way of doing it.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:54 am      Reply with quote
How are you guys applying this ? are you using a piece of cotton?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Madison wrote:
How are you guys applying this ? are you using a piece of cotton?
Fingertips only. If you’re using a cotton pad and one of those pricey, store-bought serums, then you’re wasting a ton of product because the cotton pad is going to absorb too much! I guess it wouldn’t be so bad to use a cotton pad to apply the homemade serum because it doesn’t cost very much to make a new batch. If you completely adverse to using your fingertips for application, you could use a piece of cotton gauze instead. The gauze would still absorb more product than necessary, but it wouldn’t be half as wasteful as the cotton pad!

I always have a hard time spreading the serum smoothly and evenly across my face when my skin is completely dry, so what I like to do is apply my Vit-C serum while my skin is still “moist” from my (ACV Super) toner, so here’s my application tips:

• While skin is still moist from toner, put 2-3 drops of Vit-C serum on tip of one index finger;

• Rub both index fingers together to ‘emulsify’ the serum, then

• Quickly sweep finger tips over your entire face in short, upward strokes to disperse the serum evenly.

• If you notice that your skin has dried too quickly from the toner or your fingertips are dragging, swipe the cotton pad with toner over those areas to re-moisten skin then sweep index fingers over those areas again. If necessary, you may use an additional drop or two of serum to ensure that you’ve applied it to your entire face, except the eye contour area.

It takes a couple of applications to really get the hang of it, but pretty soon it’ll be 2nd nature. I also use this method (i.e.: while my skin is still moist from toner application) when applying my Ylang Ylang oil in the mornings.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:35 am      Reply with quote
I make my own as well, in a really weak solution, it's about 5% these days. Any higher it stings which I don't think is good. Even at this solution, I notice a lightening of the melasma on my cheeks under the eyes. I use water, l-ascorbic acid, a bit of glycerin and hylauranic acid, mixed up once a week.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips everyone Very Happy And thanks Mary for the links.
How often do you all use yours,once or twice a day?
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |