Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
mummytoaprinceandprincess
5% products discount

Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi i am in the UK aswell and couldnt find distilled water just mineral which is no good. I have searched the supermarkets with no luck but you can buy it halfords because they use it in car batteries (Its the same thing).

Also Im guessing you could make it yourself if you have a steamer. Fill it with water and wait untill your drip tray is filled, TA DA this is now distilled water!! Very Happy

Hope this helps Very Happy
Mamastarr3
5% products discount

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hello! I have been going through all of the wonderful DIY recipes and decided to try essential oils to help with my cellulite. I looked through the list of oils that help with cellulite (among other things) and went to my local health food store to buy some. To start out with I got- Clary Sage,Geranium,Lemon,
Sweet Almond and Grape seed. I would eventually like to find a cheaper place online to order from so I can stock up. I also got some dead sea salts and some natural unscented lotion with vitamins A&E and a couple of empty bottles to keep mixed oils in.

I was just wondering if someone could help me figure out how much of each I should use, mix with the lotion or in the bath. I'm a newbie at this stuff so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! Smile
mandapanda
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
Where is the best place to buy a very good EMU OIL product?
Confused

Thanks so much! Smile
havana8

Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
mandapanda wrote:
Where is the best place to buy a very good EMU OIL product?
Confused

Thanks so much! Smile

Try this thread, mandapanda for favourite sources:

Where do you buy your Emu Oil?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=26803
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Recipe for Dr. Holland’s Super Brightening Super-Sonic Facial Mask

What you’ll need:

• Large bottle of plain/generic, uncoated aspirin
• Clean, empty small jar or other similar container
• Granulated (i.e.: white) or brown sugar
• Lactic Acid Concentrate
• Aloe Vera juice (may substitute plain distilled water, or strongly-brewed green and/or chamomile tea *made* with distilled water)
• Aloe Vera Extract (may substitute Jojoba or any other oil of your choice)
• French Green Clay (optional)
• Honey (optional)

Can I substitute yogurt for Lactic Acid concentrate in this recipe? Or something else? I would like to make this but don't want to order 1 ingredient only. Any suggestions?
smiller1327

Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
I came across your website when I was looking for some fun things to do with stuff I have in my house, and I have to say the acv toner has been a miracle! At first I just used 1 part acv from the store 3 parts water, but I recently tried a change in the recipe and it is even more wonderful!
Following your advice about mixing it with tea, I substituted camomile for the water, and since i had no essential oils around, i cut some very fine long strips of lemon zest and put those in. I also switched to unpasturised unfiltered acv, which made a big difference in the smell...i have yet to see if it works any better as it has only been a couple days. With the zest in not only does it smell like lemonade now, but it looks beautiful in the bottle...a must try.

I also would like to submit a body scrub recipe that I just made because it is divine.
mix pure cocoa powder, ground coffee, demerara sugar, and oats
add extra virgin olive oil and raw honey until it forms a crumbly paste

Scrub your entire body with this and you look and smell like a dream when you come out of the shower...i didn't even need lotion after, and usually my skin gets really dry.

I saw, too, that some of you had mentioned honey and olive oil hair treatments. I love this recipe as my hair is really dry from being treated in the past, but i have come up with a way to make it just that much better. Fill a small olive oil bottle with camomile flowers. Pour extra virgin olive oil in to cover, and let the mixture steep for quite a while, in the sun or a warm place. use this oil and your hair is extra smooth and fragrant.

Also, if you are having trouble getting a home-hair treatment out you can make a rinse with 2 teabags of camomile steeped in a liter of hot water...allow it to cool down and add a couple tablespoons of acv.
Pour this on your hair after the shower and any extra oil or buildup will come right off...plus it leaves your hair really soft and shiny, and will take any of the egg smell out if you are using egg or mayo based treatments.
Cheers, ladies
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
smiller1327 wrote:

I also would like to submit a body scrub recipe that I just made because it is divine.
mix pure cocoa powder, ground coffee, demerara sugar, and oats
add extra virgin olive oil and raw honey until it forms a crumbly paste

Scrub your entire body with this and you look and smell like a dream when you come out of the shower...i didn't even need lotion after, and usually my skin gets really dry.

Welcome to the forum 'smiller'! Your recipe's look wonderful, and I can't wait to try them..

Could you please tell me what 'demarara' sugar is, I have never heard of that..??

Also, does the recipe call for equal amounts of each ingredient, and also how long do you leave it on before showering?

Can't wait to try this one, thanks .. Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
misspointy
5% products discount

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Demerara is a coarse brown sugar made from the sugar cane. Its often used to sweeten a drink of coffee. Do you not have demerara is the USA or wwere u joking? lol sorry.

Kassy I have a question about your recipes...which sound wonderful. Ive been to the supermarket and no luck with the distilled water, no luck at Boots chemist. Sooo is the water needed to dissolve the vitamin C? or is it to make up a larger quantity of serum and dilute it? sorry I dont know. Can i make a serum without the water?
Ive even checked the local garages....all have deoinised water and have all told me it is distilled water....but when I looked into it it is different.

Thank you
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
misspointy wrote:
Demerara is a coarse brown sugar made from the sugar cane. Its often used to sweeten a drink of coffee. Do you not have demerara is the USA or wwere u joking? lol sorry.

Kassy I have a question about your recipes...which sound wonderful. Ive been to the supermarket and no luck with the distilled water, no luck at Boots chemist. Sooo is the water needed to dissolve the vitamin C? or is it to make up a larger quantity of serum and dilute it? sorry I dont know. Can i make a serum without the water?
Ive even checked the local garages....all have deoinised water and have all told me it is distilled water....but when I looked into it it is different.

Thank you

We have coarse brown sugar here, but I never heard it called "demerara".. Laughing

As for the water, if you can't find one that says "distilled", but you were told the 'deoinised' is the same, then just use that.. The point is to find a water that is free of all minerals..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
kerbear

Thu May 14, 2009 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
i really would love to try this ACV toner. this is kind of a stupid question..but will the toner grow bacteria in it? Also, where can i find the EO's besides online?
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Wow Kassy I'm really impressed by your DIY skills! I'm going to try them out (some day) let me get pass reading this whole thread first!
havana8

Fri May 15, 2009 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
DEET-Free Bug Repellent Recipe
from the New Directions Aromatics May 15, 2009 Newsletter

Here's a recipe that uses essential oils with a long history of protecting people from all types of biting insects. By adding them to an unscented lotion or cream base, it can will not only keep bugs away, but some people in our office actually think the scent is fresh and pleasant!

For every 100g (3.3oz) of lotion or cream base, add the following:

25 drops Catnip Essential Oil
25 drops citronella Ceylon Essential Oil
10 drops Eucalyptus Globulus Essential Oil
8 drops Cedarwood Virginian Essential Oil
5 drops Clove Bud Essential Oil
3 drops Peppermint Japanese Essential Oil

Add one type of oil at a time and mix thoroughly between each addition. This will give you a formulation that's 5% essential oil which is at the upper range of a lotion base so be careful not to overdo it.

http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca/newsletters/May15-2009/can/tblr/index.htm
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:36 am      Reply with quote
Do you guys use a separate sunscreen or you put sunscreen in your daily cream?

What do you use?
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
I realised that the Vit E oil is extremely sticky and thick and oily. What do you guys use to wash your apparatus after using it the vit e? Only my make up remover cream can remove the vit e. but even then, it's not as clean as I will like it to be.
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Another question for cream DIYers. When you whip up a cream using powder stuff, do you dilute the powder in a liquid first or just mix it to the base cream direct. And do you use a hand held mixer or a will manual whip suffice?

Sorry for all the questions! I just got all my ingredients and I'm really excited!!!
happyinorbit
5% products discount

Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
i tried this mask and really like it. It made my skin feel smoother. I've done it a few times and guess I need to make it part of a routine to see long term benefits. The ingredients are easy to come by and soooooo cost effective! Thank you for posting!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:12 am      Reply with quote
So i finally tried an aspirin mask! OMG!!! I am sooo impressed I am getting speechless!
I put 5 uncoated aspirin pills in a tablespoon of a yogurt, let it sit for 5 minutes, everything got dissolved and then I added 3 drops of honey and 1/2 teaspoon of white sugar. I let it all sit till it dried up which was I believe about 30 min.
My skin today feels like baby's butt :P
my boyfriend keeps touching my face SmileSmileSmile
Everyone should try!
I have a pretty sensitive skin, so it will work for any type, I think!
mayhua
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
irunchik wrote:
So i finally tried an aspirin mask! OMG!!! I am sooo impressed I am getting speechless!
I put 5 uncoated aspirin pills in a tablespoon of a yogurt, let it sit for 5 minutes, everything got dissolved and then I added 3 drops of honey and 1/2 teaspoon of white sugar. I let it all sit till it dried up which was I believe about 30 min.
Everyone should try!

i thought aspirin mask is for treating acne?correct me if i am wrong.
IMCathy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:00 am      Reply with quote
the asprin mask is also for exfoliating too.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:34 am      Reply with quote
mayhua wrote:
irunchik wrote:
Everyone should try!

i thought aspirin mask is for treating acne?correct me if i am wrong.

Mayhua, its definitely not only for treating acne. Its very multitasking, from smoothing your skin to evening out complexion. Check out the sticky in the DYI forum with all the recipes and go to Aspirin mask recipe and you can read the entire thread on it. Its long, but def worth the time Smile I dont suffer from acne (I break out very very rarely due to my chocolate obsession Bad Grin )and I still make aspirin mask once a week. It helps with my little blackheads on the nose which appear less prominent after the mask.
HTH!
Irina.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
specialtech
one supplier of distilled water
in uk
I googled distilled water UK and
there a number of suppliers listings.
as a newbie I am not allowed to
directly link to any outside websites,
sorry try the name above or google.
Hope this helps

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Recipes for encouraging hair growth one oil scalp treatment and one shampoo

1 oz Jojoba oil 
4 drops Clary sage oil 
4 drops Rosemary oil 
2 drops Cederwood oil 
2 drops Ylang Ylang oil 

that is the basic recipe 
I also like to add 2/3 drops peppermint as it 
also stimulates circulation. 

Add all to a container and gently mix, mix before each use. 
Massage some on scalp every day. Leave on at least 30 minutes (overnight if you can) use just enough to massage, too much and it may drip and that can be a pain! 
Shampoo. 
That is it. 

Shampoo for thinning hair: 

8 oz unsented shampoo 
12 drops Rosemary oil 
10 drops Clary Sage oil 
8 drops Cederwood oil 
6 drops Ylang Ylang oil 

again I like to add some peppermint oil 
just blend and use, always blend before use.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Mammastarr sorry I missed your post

For cellulite

Recipe: 

4 oz carrier oil of choice 
10 drops cypress oil 
10 drops lemon oil 
10 drops orange oil 
5 drop rosemary oil 
4 drops cederwood oil 
4 drops coriander oil 
3 drops fennel oil 
3 drops clary sage oil 
2 drops patchouli oil 

best applied to areas with cellulite after shower or bath while skin is still damp. 

I have a chart of amounts of oils (EO's) per ounce, will post when I find it! 

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:11 am      Reply with quote
Very Happy Hello everyone. I have spent alot of time doing research on various beauty treatments, tools, recipes and reviews... And somehow i kept landing back at this website - and everything i read was so awesome i just had to join in, lol. All of these recipes are amazing! I just wanted to add my humble but effective three in one recipe...
SCRUB, TUB AND FACE PASTE
*One part ground oats (fine or medium coarseness to your preference)
*One part powdered milk
*Half to one part sweet almond oil (again according to pref.)

Mix the oatmeal and milk powder together, then add the sweet almond oil to make a loose paste type mix. Milk for lactic acid, oats to exfoliate, cleanse and soothe, and almond oil is close to the skin sebum (and as a carrier)

NOTES:
*You can keep dry ingredients mixed in a container and add the oil as u need 2 make paste freshly
*If u want to make a lge ready to use amt, it keeps for a while in the fridge but i add a very very small spritz of colloidal silver to dry ingredients before adding the oil to keep bacteria at bay but only for no less than a metric cup being 'one part'. Otherwise maybe tea tree or other anti-bac eo
*you can add honey, herbs, tea leaves, eo, dry lemon peel, or whatever u wish.
*use as a face/body scrub, in muslin squares held with twine or rubber band to make a bath soak, or spread on and leave as a face mask, then exfoliate and rinse.
*please take care if using in the shower or bath, as oil may make the floor slippery.
*do not wash off with soap, just with water. U may feel as if u r oily, but after u dry off the oil absorbs fast without making leaving greasy residue.

Sorry if its too long, hope i didn't babble on too much...

25yr old caucasian mama of three, dry to comb. skin, severe f/h wrinkles, VERY aged looking skin - happened only this year due to (i believe) x'trmly high stgth meds for back injury over many months, stress, smoking, dehyd'tion, poor skin care... But its only up from here, watch out wrinkles! Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:04 am      Reply with quote
Angiemum,
Welcome and hello,

your multitasking recipe sounds awesome!
Check the DIY recipe index there are some great recipes for facial oils I posted one. I can relate to the stress (4kids) now grown, but that alone is enough stress for anyone, sorry about your back injury, hope you are feeling better asap!

DM

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:23 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |