Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Clarisonic-really *all that*? - alternatives?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
RyanA
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Is it really worth the money? The reviews, for the most part, seem to be amazing. Do you know of any cheaper brands that are comparable? I know Olay has one, but from my understanding it's not comparable at all. It also seems most of the knockoffs are battery operated, and I usually don't like that with devices.

I thought about the Mia, but then I think I would like the Plus for the body. I wonder if it's better than dry brushing (for the body)? It's just hard to justify the cost. The replacement heads seem rather expensive too. I'm just wondering if it's really all that.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:17 am      Reply with quote
I have a Clarisonic Mia (the mini version), bought it for probably $100-120 on eBay (brand new) like 2 years ago.

I probably use it 2-3 times per week. And to be honest, yes it does make my skin feel great.

In my opinion, it beats using your hands/fingers to scrub your face, and it cleans your face more thoroughly than any other method. It's great for exfoliation too.

I think it's a pretty good investment, that will last years to come. All you need to do is replace the brush head every year or so, which you can also find cheap on eBay.
havana8

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
RyanA wrote:
Do you know of any cheaper brands that are comparable?

The Pretika, Nutra Sonic and Sirius Skinsonic devices come to mind. Here's one of the review threads for the Pretika and a TIA review for the Sirius:

Pretika SonicDermabrasion [Clarisonic Knock-off] Review
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29300

Sirius Skinsonic versus Clarisonic Mia
http://www.truthinaging.com/treatments/sirius-skinsonic-versus-clarisonic-mia

I think there may also be a few other brands mentioned in this thread:

Clarisonic alternatives?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=512546

HTHs! Smile
havana8

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
There were a few more mentioned in this NYT article from July in case you are still researching:

Quote:
Many of the fashion-forward are already convinced that fingertips and washcloths are inadequate for degriming their faces. Brushes by DDF, Pretika and Body Essentials have joined Clarisonic, Neutrogena and Olay. According to Kline & Company, a consulting and research firm, they made up about 40 percent of the at-home market for skin-care tools in 2011.

Skin Cleansing Enters the Electronic Age
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/fashion/power-facial-cleansing-brushes-gain-in-popularity.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

There's also this interesting review:

Am I the Only Person Who Doesn't Like the Clarisonic?
http://outinapout.blogspot.ca/2011/03/am-i-only-person-who-doesnt-like.html
RyanA
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
havana, thanks for the articles. From that review blog, I am going to try that $2 face brush from Sally's. Very Happy
havana8

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:18 am      Reply with quote
Hope you let us know how the new brush works out! Smile BTW, here is one more to add to the list:

ProSonic Cleansing & Exfoliation Brush
http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=140614
Visionqueen

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:33 am      Reply with quote
These skin cleaning devices are so new to me. Just reading up on the Clarisonics and is the plus or the pro better? And is it worth the price difference?
AthleteKitty
5% products discount

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi Visionqueen, The Clarisonic Pro has an extra speed but you can only buy it from a spa or dermatologist who sells the product (although you might find one on eBay). The Clarisonic Plus can be purchased at Sephora, Ulta or similar stores or from the Clarisonic website. My aesthetician told me that they cost the same. Both devices have a body brush feature so you can also cleanse your body. I have the Clarisonic Plus and I really only use the 1st two speeds on a regular basis although I've used the third speed occasionally. I use the senstive brush head for my face.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I used to use a manual skin brush. It worked fine. Using my hands/fingers just doesnt cut it, I have such thick, grimey, oily skin, I need the extra exfoliation.

I finally splurged and got the Mia 2. Honestly, I rarely use the higher speed, so I think the Mia would be fine. I personally hae no intrest in usng it on my body because that skin is normal, its only my face that needs it!

At first I was using it twice a day, now I use it 4-5 times a week. Thats the ironic thing, the more you use it the less you need it!

I don't think I could live without my Mia 2. It has been worth every penny. It feels so nice, I use gentler cleansers too. My skin feels great.

But its not for everyone. I would definitly buy from a place that has a return policy, just in case. If you have never used a regular manual skin brush (like one from the drugstore, I got mine from Sephora's for $5), you may want to try that first and see how you like it. Clarisonic is much more effective, and works so much faster of course, but it could give you an idea of what to expect. If you find usng the brush unnecessary, or too irritating, than Clarisonic is probably not for you.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
http://taupeandpearl.blogspot.com/2012/02/4-of-best-low-cost-alternatives-to.html

You may also see the reviews and comparions of each tool from that list vs clarisonic on Youtube.
havana8

Sun May 04, 2014 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Here's another to add to this list:

Magnitone Pulsar (with Active Electromagnetic Technology)
http://magnitone.co.uk/home/
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 04, 2014 9:50 am      Reply with quote
I recently picked up a Pretika from Ebay for super cheap. The brush head spins. I use it after my regular cleanse and toning and it gets the junk that was still on my face. Apparently, the older models of Pretika did not spin but used sonic technology just like Clarisonic does. I've searched the internet, even sent Pretika a message, but still can't get an answer as to why they switched to spinning brush??? Some did say the older models that used sonic did not work as well as Clarisonic. Maybe that's why they switched to spinning heads. Anyone know?? Either way, I really like my Pretika.
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 04, 2014 9:57 am      Reply with quote
I used to use a Clarisonic on and off for a few years until I read about facial brushing about a month ago. I switched to dry facial brushing every other night before bed and LOVE that much more than I ever enjoyed the Clarisonic, and I am getting better exfoliation and glow!

I read about it here:
http://www.beautifulonraw.com/Facial_Brush_for_Glowing_Complexion.html

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 04, 2014 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Another option is to get the Clarisonic from SkinStore.com

SkinStore.com usually has ongoing 20% discount of some sort
ade
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2014 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
I bought Clarisonic here in 2008.

During the first 2 years, I didn't think it worth the price.

However, I felt its good after. It reduced my acne problem and blackhead, and made the absorption of the following skincare easier.

I'm thinking about buying a mia 2, cause the old one is too old.
lagomorph
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2014 1:54 am      Reply with quote
I had a Pretrika knock off and it worked great. The only problem was that I started breaking out on my cheeks.

For body skin, the best thing I've found is a Turkish bath mitt. On Amazon, I paid about 13 dollars for it and it makes your skin amazingly smooth. (Chaacoca Moroccan Exfoliating Mitt)
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2014 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I have sensitive skin and use chemical exfoliates.

I do like to use a baby washcloth. I buy in multiple packs and use a fresh, clean one each time. I like the wash cloths as it gets the cleanser off the "edges" of my face (hairline, etc.) and around the nose. I also wipe the wash cloth over my lips to get rid of flakies.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 22, 2014 7:33 am      Reply with quote
I had the Clarisonic Aria and gave it away, even with all the new luxe brushes out. I just felt it wasn't doing much for me at all and went back to using a Microfiber cloth (from NCN). I also like using the Boscia Konjac Cleansing Sponge which sells for $18.00. I have to be careful because even with something soft, it aggravates the broken caps I have (cheeks, nose, chin areas). I also recently started using a facial steamer, helps a lot with clogged pores.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |