Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sunscreen for sun-sensitive girl going to the Bahamas?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tickletina
5% products discount

Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

Can you recommend a great screen for when I go to the Bahamas this year? In the past, I've used Bullfrog, Neutrogena, Coppertone with SPF 45+ and I always, always break out all over my body with a rash - small, itchy, prickly bumps. Something like a heat rash or possibly an allergic reaction to the sun? Or possibly a reaction to these non-effective sunscreens? I do reapply -- a lot, but nothing seems to work. Perhaps a great water-resistant physical sunblock would be suitable for me? HELP!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, have you ever tried shiseido ultimate sun protection sunscreen 55? i am not sure if it's chemical or physical or a combo, but i have used in the past and so has my mom (who has supersensitive skin) and we have had no reactions. Skinceuticals also makes a few good ones. I am currently using their ultimate uv defense sunscreen spf 30. anything over spf 30 does not protect you any better, but prolongs the time of reapplication. If you don't already have some sort of vitamin C serum, i would recommend you purchase that too since it boosts uv protection for your skin. i currently use skinceuticals c + e ferulic acid serum.
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm about to head to the Bahamas in a week.
I bought the shiseido ultimate sun protection lotion SPF 55 because I heard it's good. Has a high % of zinc oxide and also octinoxate. I have a thread asking if it's good enough for the island. But I'm also using the same sunscreen lotion SPF 33. I haven't broken out. I have combination skin and usually break out from other brands such as DDF, Murad.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
Shiseido ultimate sunscreen is a good deal for your money since you get considerably more than 1 oz (3.3 oz) for the $30 plus dollars you're gonna spend. a lot of the sunscreens i have bought in the past is expensive for 1 oz so i only use it on my face. with the shiseido, it's cheap enough so you can do body applications too. skinceuticals offers 3 oz for a reasonable price too, i think i got mine for around $26 on ebay.

I am pretty experimental with sunscreen, so i like to switch around, i haven't found anything worth sticking around with when there are so brands waiting to be tried Very Happy
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted - do you think the shisheido sunscreen spf 55 is good enough for going to the bahamas? since it can get extremely hot and sunny.
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
oops forgot one more question...

do you use cleansing oil to remove the spf 55?
i read some where that you need to use that. Thanks.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi qisme615,

I think shiseido should be fine for the bahamas, as the spf is 55 and i haven't heard anything about it being unstable. i have used it in the past and spent a day in the sun without burning (i live in southern california, which gets pretty hot in the summers). just remember to reapply especially if you're gonna be in waters and to use a vitamin C serum under the sunscreen to boost your protection.

Oh, and yes, definitely use a cleansing oil to remove then follow with a regular cleanser. i think you're always supposed to use a cleansing oil to remove sunscreen off the face. many people don't use an oil cleanser and break out. i do this every night and haven't had a breakout yet. i recommend DHC's cleansing oil, but i have heard that shiseido has one of their own--i have yet to try it though.

hope this helps!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
qisme615 I agree with skincareaddicted, the Shiseido SPF 55 should be a good sunscreen for your vacation to the Bahamas. I have pale skin that will tan very lightly (not that I ever let it!!) and I have used the Shiseido when I have been in the sun for 4 or 5 hours straight and have not gotten any tan whatsoever. Of course you should reaply every two hours of so when you are out in the sun and reaply after swimming. I would highly recommend using a cleansing oil to remove this sunscreen. I used the Shiseido Ultimate Cleansing Oil and it worked very well. I currently use Kanebo Cleansing Oil and that works great also.
tickletina
5% products discount

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like shiseido is a good recommend. Never tried it before and only now have heard about it on MUA! I'll head to Nordstrom's and see if they give some free samples! I heard good things about the Skinceuticals line, but also that they're not water-resistant. Any more good recommends?
tickletina
5% products discount

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted - I never heard about using Vit. C serum under your sunscreen and it boosts your protection. Do you use it for your entire body? Funny, I never break out in my rash on my face -- just my body. I thought Vit. C was supposed to be UNSTABLE in sun???....
kpage828
5% products discount

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
If you want something more affordable for your body in a chemical free sunscreen, try Baby Lizzard Australian Suncream. It's 10% Zinc Oxide 5% Titanium dioxide and can be found in most drug stores, inexpensive too. The Shiseido is a good recommendation for the face.

I would also recommend a wide brimmed straw hat, one was a lifesaver for me when I went to the Carribean.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
tickletina--

skinceuticals does have waterproof sunscreen, it's called sport uv defense 45. i haven't personally used that one, i am currently using ultimate uv defense spf 30. the link is here http://www.skinceuticals.com/productItem.asp?productTypeID=5&productID=48

from the skinceuticals website also http://www.skinceuticals.com/productItem.asp?productTypeID=2&productID=20# . this is the one i am currently using. i haven't heard that vitamin C is unstable but that it oxidizes in the bottle after awhile and isn't as effective then. but there are some good posts here regarding vitamin C serums, and you can check out the available ones on that site also.

and the vitamin C serum and my sunscreen, i only use on my face, hands, and chest area. so like kpage828 recommends, i use something else for my body, so i use coppertone water babies spf 45 Crying or Very sad

i also have used pola 1/f uv sunscreen but that is way too expensive to use liberally on the beach.

tickletina, what i wanna use in the future, but have yet to try is sofina uv perfect spf 50. you can read about it in this post http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13598 , i am super excited about that one!

kpage828--i might try the Baby Lizzard Australian Suncream, i notice the coppertone one neither has zinc nor titanium dioxide unless octinoxate, oxybenzone, octisalate, and homosalate are derivatives names for them.
tickletina
5% products discount

Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Are there Vit C serums inexpensive enough to use for the entire body? The one from Skinceuticals is sort of expensive....
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
i am not sure, i haven't seen any under $40 i don't think. yeah, try ebay tickletina, definitely more affordable there.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
tickletina wrote:
Are there Vit C serums inexpensive enough to use for the entire body? The one from Skinceuticals is sort of expensive....

They are all pretty expensive. I think that most people who use them on their bodies use the DIY ones, which are very inexpensive to make. Although I have heard some members say that they will use one of the expensive ones on their bodies if it is causing probelems for their face (acne, irritation, etc.).

I would be carefull buying C serums on Ebay. You would want to make sure that it is fresh and not expired.
kpage828
5% products discount

Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:

kpage828--i might try the Baby Lizzard Australian Suncream, i notice the coppertone one neither has zinc nor titanium dioxide unless octinoxate, oxybenzone, octisalate, and homosalate are derivatives names for them.

I've used waterbabies before as well, but I think all of the ingredients are chemical sunscreens. Since the original poster has had bad reactions before, the chemical-free is less irritating but has a very white cast when first applied so not everyone likes them. I'd test a little before buying to see if you like it.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |