Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
What is your anti-aging Make-up Routine?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I need to know what the 40+ ladies on the board do when they use makeup, do you use foundation, concealer, blush, the whole nine yards, or do you simplify now and just use a bit of this and that? Lately I've noticed less is more when it comes to putting on my makeup.

I've really been hating the way any makeup feels on my skin, mineral or foundation makeup seems to accentuate my fine lines. I've also been noticing that my skin looks alot drier with makeup, even if I moisturize well beforehand. Powder blusher just seems to look cakey, same with just face powder. Oh how I wish I had flawless skin so that I could just skip makeup application once and for all, but thats not the case, I need a concealer at least to hide the spider viens around my nose area, and definately need blush because I look so washed out in the wintertime!

Could you please share your makeup routine and the products you use. I need to revamp mine, it was great in my 20's and 30's, but now its time for a change!TIA!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
If you want a natural look that makes you look great I can highly recommend Lauren Hutton's Face Disc. I have been using it for over two years and absolutely love it. The Face Disc has been discussed in some length recently. Here is the link Smile

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3040
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:18 am      Reply with quote
Try Laura Mercier primer to keep make up in place and gives a lovely sheen(not shiny) or glow to the skin and I use Dior skinflash for the spider veins on my face its brillant
bubbleoffplumb
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:58 am      Reply with quote
moosette

I think the key is healthy skin first -
using products that protect the acid mantel and make for happy skin (i use copper peptides, emu oil, and squalane along with a simple cleanser - no detergents and ph 5.5).
once you have happy skin, the makeup goes on and appears much nicer.

i like mineral makeup (mmu) - nothing in many of the formulations out there (everyday minerals, alima...) to mess with your skin barrier, and some protection from the sun. if you work on healthier skin, then apply something that threatens that, it sorta defeats the purpose (imho).

I find less is more for me (46 yo). mascara seems to "age" me, as do many eye shadows.
so I just use mmu foundation and blushes - and an eyelash curler.
the makeup evens me out, provides a bit of color and the curler perks up the lashes w/o the heavy mascara look.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:59 am      Reply with quote
I'm in my early 40's. My "anti-aging" makeup routine isn't fancy. I apply sunscreen to my face, neck and chest. Then I apply finishing powder to help absorb oil and keep shine controlled for the day. Then I use mineral makeup that has some additional SPF protection (Jane Iredale, for me). My skin looks much better now. Almost all my dark spots have faded (possibly due to retinol use at night), no new ones added, and redness/blotchiness is gone. So for me, sunscreen and MMU made a huge difference.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Good day Moosette. I use mostly the Lauren Hutton face disk which is very good. On occasion I will also use Morgen Schick's hide n' highlight too. My favorite cream eye shadows are Bobbi Browns new cream shadow. I use no foundation.
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi All! Great suggestions! I was looking at the LH face disc but it seems like it would be complicated and time consuming to use, I don't have too much time to apply makeup lately, my 9 month old doesn't nap very long and by the time I get out of the shower, dry off, apply all my lotions, do my hair and get dressed he's waking up! I wish I could be as speedy as my husband, he is ready in about 15 minutes, showered and dressed, ready to go...men have it so easy I'll tell ya Laughing

Bubbleoffplumb, I think you got it right when you said healthy skin comes first. I've noticed that I'm trying to "cover up" alot of imperfections and at the end my skin looks worse instead of better so I end up taking all the makeup off and just going bare skinned with moisturizer on. I also don't like the feel of mascara lately and have only been curling my lashes too. I save the mascara for when we are going out etc.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 49 and when I need to wear foundation type makeup I go with Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer instead of traditional foundation. It doesn't sink into lines as much, I find.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
dear moosette,

i am only 30 but i've thought a lot about this issue--i.e., how makeup is only slowly catching up with the cosmetics industry in terms of providing us with options that do not make us actually look older. I find that instead of concealer, an "illuminator," such as estee lauder's or ysl's touche eclat, can make all the difference. just apply it around your nose and at the outer (and not inner) corners of the eye, blending up onto the eyelid and down underneath the eye; use a flesh-colored eye/lip pencil right at your base lash line to hide redness, and then a little dusting of translucent powder over your sunscreen (leaving out the area underneath your eyes and on your cheekbones--these should reflect light and appear 'dewy.' Another easy trick is putting a tiny dab of white or light shimmery gold right above your eye at the apex of your eyelid at the lash base, and then again right below your iris on the bottom lashes as well--blending right across your lower lash line from the center towards the edges. Then, a light creme blush works well to give your cheeks a subtle color that is not too drying--a very light one is lancome's magic mousse, and i love becca's creme blushes too--gorgeous colors. A light touch of color on the lips followed by lip balm, and you have a very natural look. As far as lashes go, use a lash conditioner such as talika's--it darkens the lashes and makes them grow, even after a week! Since I've been using it, I haven't needed mascara! I would steer farther away from the powders and go for more creams if I wanted a more minimal, natural look that will not cake. As as for foundation, I think it always ages women, no matter how young they are. If you need to cover acneic skin, it is worth it, but for evening out skin tone, TMs are best. I hope that helps!

--avalange

eta: i think the key ideas are to avoid putting any makeup where you have any lines, and to enhance your features so that they reflect light in all the right places. I suggest the illuminators because not only do they reflect light without being shimmery, they tend to be more moisturizing and less prone to leaving those dreaded 'concealor flakes.' Too often I see women walking around with two-dimensional matte faces, and it doesn't look nice, in my opinion. Unless you are as white as a china doll and 23 years old.

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
avalange, thankyou so much for your detailed description on achieving a more natural look! It can be a bummer somedays trying to put makeup on to look and feel better, only to have it to look worse than when I started! How I miss the days I could pile on my foundation, cake my eyes with black eyeliner and lots of black mascara and powder my face until it was translucent and wink at myself in the mirror because I thought I looked totally hot! Now when I do that I look like Tammy Fay Baker Crying or Very sad Well, maybe not that bad, but you know what I mean! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I also wanted to add that I checked out the talika lash conditioner here on EDS and it sounds wonderful, but unfortunately they are sold out! Does anyone know how long it takes for EDS to restock?

avalange, I see EDS doesn't sell becca cosmetics...where could I find these, or are there any other great cream blushes to be found here? I'm in a shopping mood...have to redo my makeup wardrobe! Thanks again! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:25 am      Reply with quote
moosette wrote:
Oh, I also wanted to add that I checked out the talika lash conditioner here on EDS and it sounds wonderful, but unfortunately they are sold out! Does anyone know how long it takes for EDS to restock?

avalange, I see EDS doesn't sell becca cosmetics...where could I find these, or are there any other great cream blushes to be found here? I'm in a shopping mood...have to redo my makeup wardrobe! Thanks again! Smile

Moosette,

I use Talika because I'm in France, and that's the 'drugstore' brand over here. I've heard that ardell is just as good and readily available on drugstore.com, and much less expensive. Sephora sells becca, but here is their website, it will make you want to spend $1000:www.beccacosmetics.com. Here is a link straight to the blush: http://www.beccacosmetics.com/shop/detail.asp?CategoryID=4&ProductID=7
I LOVE dahlia, which is a creamy brick red, it just gives me a natural flush, and has no 'berry' undertones, which can make you look too made-up. I must say that the model is accurately representing what this blush looks like when it's on! They blend so nicely and just leave a sheer wash of color. They are pricey, so if they have them at your nearest sephora, I'd go try them there! And their TM is the best I've tried...Experiment and let us know what works for you! Oh, and after looking at their site, the "bird of paradise" gloss would be perfect for creating the eye-highlighter look.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Maureenall
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi there, I use Bare Escentuals mineral foundation and Warmth, and am just about to try the eye shadow.

Definately less is more as you get older.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Moosette, I turned 53 2 mo ago, it's even hard to type it, but my skin looks better over the last 6mo than before. All the help from EDS forum has been invaluable. Relative to makeup-I discovered mmu about a yr. ago and love it, there is a learning curve though, trying to find your right shades and brands. It also requires a light hand with application. I'm currently trying Lumiere and Uglowgirl for foundations. sometimes during the hot humid Houston summers I just wear LM's TM. I don't know if this is helpful or not but I do know that I look better with some makeup on than just a bare face.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Avalnge, I don't know where you live but some health food stores carry organic makeup lines. Or perhaps you can just order Becca on line.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I just turned 30 and I'm finding that many of the makeup tricks and products that I used in my 20's are no longer a good fit. I used to do my makeup quickly and have it little thought bc everything just worked. Now I find that the same products are calling attention to my fine lines and pores....I have had great results with Mineral makeup (its very fast and stays on all day) and Covergirls line that contains Olay moisturizers...the Advanced radiance collection. There are 3 forms: Liquid foundation,cream foundation and a tinted moisturizer. I am currently using the cream foundation and its nice. I use it as my foundation and my moisturizer so it cuts down on time. I've also stopped putting a lot of makeup on my eyes...I notice in pictures I just look tired...so I focus on my lips and opt for a nice red or plum color. I think less is more for sure...my mom wears lipstick and mascara and she looks fantastic...I'm getting there...I think makeup is my weakness.
I ordered Lauren Huttons face disk so I'll let you know what I think about it...it should arrive any day.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
For evenings - to really create a flawless skin I love using Illuminare liquid MMU or a tinted moisturizer.

For days - to enhance my skin, I use J.Lynne MMU. It's not shiney and is more sheer than others. PureLuxe is also sheer and I'm dying to try Alima. Unfortunately, Bare Escentuals looks horrible on me ... settles into any pores. My mom recently purchased and I almost died ... it accentuated every line and pore on her face.

I also stick to earthy color type eye shadows. Partly because of my coloring and partly because it's more natural.

I also go for something with a tiny amount of shimmer. Too matte and it makes my face look dry and flat. Too shimmery and I look greasy or like I'm trying to look like a 20 year old.

I also notice that I tend to use dark browns vs. black for eyeliners.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
OMG I just viewed Sephora and there is everything on there a girl could ever want plus more!!! Cool And free shipping after $75.00! My poor credit card...thanks avalange!! Laughing

Olivia, yes please do let me know how you like the LH face disk!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
oh moosette,

do share what you ordered! And don't feel so bad, I just used my cc to put in a $150 order with Julie Hewitt... At least we can all commiserate with one another about the impractical decisions we make in the name of beauty Razz

Becca and Julie Hewitt are my new favvvvorite makeup lines...! You will love becca, please let us know how it goes!

--avalange

moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Well I haven't ordered anything yet, but I do have the becca cream blush in the colour you suggested and the talika lash conditioner in my shopping cart ready to check out! There are sooooo many goodies Drool , I just have to browse some more before I press the checkout button! Laughing I would like to look at some of the tinted moisturizers too, but haven't made up my mind yet on which one to try...decisions, decisions! Smile

The reason I wanted to try the cosmetics you recommended is because when I saw your pic on another thread, I though, geeze she's beautiful, a real natural, I wonder what products she uses? Very Happy Thank you so much and I will let you know how the becca works out for me!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
awwww, you made my day, moosette! my skin is currently shedding due to retinol and dry air, and my hair is a frizzy mess... oh how i miss the days of summer! i think in the photo you are referring to I am indeed wearing becca TM. It is extremely light and almost watery--a very nice consistency. However, like most tms, it is a chemical and not physical sunscreen... so now I'm using avene's creme mineral spf 50, which turns me white and accentuates the peeling skin... it's not a pretty sight!

interesting, you know, i just shopped atwww.juliehewitt.com (I love her makeup), and thought her prices were really high, but Becca's are REALLY high! I hadn't realized, since I only a few items gratis... Very little product for such high prices. Well, they are a cut above the rest, in my opinion. The makeup artist who does jessica alba, rebecca romijn, mandy moore, katherine heigl, and rachel mcadams actually requested it, which is how I found out about it...

--avalange

System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |