Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Help for my Teenage Son (acne)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Parentsaver
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hey all. As all mothers do, I have a keen interest in getting my son's skin clear and clean. I guess I should give some info about him.

My son is 15 1/2 years old. He's 6"2 and 140 pounds. He has been suffering from minor acne since age 9 and has now broken out into moderate acne with prominante pimples around his face (not just his t-zone). His father had horrible acne during his teenage years and says this is about the time it got worst for him as well). He is also just now developing facial hair and is experimenting with using a razor to shave (mostly just a mustache.) He also suffers from minimal dark circles around his eyes. Oh, and he's caucasian (very fair skin). The dark circles have been around since he was little, since age 8 I guess. When he doesn't get enough sleep, they are more pronounced but with a good 8-10 hour sleep they are reduced but still around. (They are dark near the nose, not at all near the outter part of the eye.) I myself have very dark circles (complete halfrings) and my husband as well. We're guessing it's either heriditary or food allergies.

Anyways, we have him on a multivitamin (Trophic Complete 2/daily), Vitamin D (1000I.U. / daily), Vitamin A (20,000 I.U./daily), and Acidophilus (1 mouthwash/daily.)

Our nutritionish informed us that his acne is due to lack of vitamin A. We, however, believe it is due to hormonal imbalances. The vitamin D is to keep his bones healthy as he has a tall frame. Multivitamin for overall good health and the Acidophilus mouth wash to keep healthy bacteria around and bad bacteria out. The mouthwash was suppose to help with the dark circles because bad bacteria consume vitamin K and our nutritionist believes that dark circles are because of vitamin K defiency.

However, even with those supplements, we have seen minimal improvement (it's been about 1 1/4 months.)

We already tried proactive, it helped to reduced the amount of breakouts, but not by much. We also tried DermaE's clear skin 3-step system with tea-tree oil and that did absolutely nothing. Right now I FORCED my son to use Vita-K solutions for his eyes but he developed a pimple directly under his eye?! So we stopped that as well. I've researched a little about Dark Circles and it seems that products with Haloxly and Eyeliss help reduce them. (He doesn't have puffiness though.)

We are about to try:
Philosophy Acne Kit (can't link to website bacause i'm a new member just google acne kit philosophy) and
Oxygen Peel(can't link to website because i'm a new member just google philosophy oxygen peel) .
This contains hydrogen peroxide (stuff they use to whiten teeth like crest whitestrips and no benzylen peroxide.) I hope this is right stuff because it cost a loadd.

We wanted to use Prolighten (heard GREAT reviews and saw GREAT before and afters for it) but it said we have to wait until age 18 to use it. I guess we can wait but if there is anything that you guys at EDS would recommend for his young skin, I'd so much appreciate it.

Anyway, the whole point of this topic was to try and find some advice on how to treat my sons skin problems. I've just tried to explain what we've used so far and the disapointment that we've had. I'm starting to get desperate! My son actually doesn't mind his appearance but I just want his skin to be perfect. Is that too much to ask?

Thanks all Smile
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Parentsaver. My son is almost 18 and suffered from severe acne since about 9 also. He tried all the over the counter stuff, BP, salicylic acid, etc. He is very picky, won't put any lotions/creams on his face, etc. A typical boy! Anyway, what worked for him was Glycolix Elite 15% treatment pads. Basically glycolic acid with some other added ingredients. I bought some for me and he used them. It truly is a miracle for him. I would say in about 2 weeks his skin started clearing and now he has almost no acne at all. He uses 1 at night only. Maybe it would work on your son. I have also read about grapefruit seed extract mixed with water and applied directly to the face, which is supposed to help acne also. He has not tried the GSE. Here are the ingredients of the Glycolix Elite if you are interested. Good luck!

Purified Water, Glycolic Acid, Witch Hazel, Ammonium Hydroxide, Polysorbate 20, Phospholipids, retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Coenzyme Q10, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Benzoate, Menthol, Acetone, Imidazolidinyl Urea.
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
If you aren't having any luck with over the counter treatments, check and see if your insurance will cover a dermatologist for your son't acne. Both my children ended up on accutane after several attempts at other treatments but it does wonders.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

My suggestion to you would be to click over to http://iceelements.com log into the message board and go to the Ask Brenda forum and ask her for suggestions.

My son has had very good luck with the Ice Elements products, particularly the acne serum and the 2 minute miracle exfoliation gel.

I wrote about it here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15222

A big part of keeping acne at bay is gentle exfoliation... anything too harsh can throw off the balance of the skin and create a worse problem.

The acne serum by Ice Elements uses salycic acid rather than Benzoyle Peroxide. BP can help some but it is very drying to the skin which can cause further damage and worse skin in the long run.

As far as the vitamins that you have him on, he should not take 20,000 of Vitamin A for very long as it is a very high dose. After the first month it should go down to 10,000. Also Zinc and flaxseed oil are good supplements for acne.

A great source of supplements is http://wholehealthmd.com - this is a direct link to the acne section on that site: http://tinyurl.com/jvyka

Take care.
Bosoxy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you gals, so helpful. I've check out the Ice Elements and they seem wonderful. I can't order anything just yet because I'm waiting on Philosophy but I'll be starting a list!

And for the supplements, well I'm having another meeting scheduled for my son with our nutritionist, and I'll bring up those minerals and oils to her. I'll see what she says.

Btw, does anyone have any knowledge or has tried any philosophy products?
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Lots of people with acne have reported sucess using the Paula's Choice line, especially her BHAs and AHAs, I think short of prescription retinoids, those two are the most important for acne
Parentsaver
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Perscriptions retinols are way over the line. There are way too many side-effects associated with them to be beneficial. I'm too scared he'll damage his liver with them.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Yup they are an option, albeit one that makes the problem worse before it gets better. Actually I think you shouldn't spend $$ on products that may not work out in the end, take him straight to a derm to have it sorted out. Oral antibiotics would be the best and most effective solution short of RX retinoids.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
BTW someone just posted this article on MUA about AHA AND BHA - you can see pics of the benefits of using these to treat acne

http://intl.elsevierhealth.com/e-books/viewbook.cfm?ID=1082
IcyFire
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
A few questions -

What kind of skin does he have? (oily, normal, combo, dry?)

Does he wash his face everyday? (as every1 should)

COuld it be something else rather than acne? (rocesea perhaps)

If its mild-moderate acne, I recommend a glycolic acid or beta hydroxy(salycilic) based product such as a cleanser done in morning and night before bed.

MDformulations has good glycolic products.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info guys! Great help. Anywho, The Philosophy Acne kit contains gylcolic acid in a serum and h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide). It doesn't have BHA's like salisylic acid so that's a drag. The website says that compared to BP, h2o2 will kill both types of bacteria that causes acne ( gram positive and gram negative, BP kills only one type ) I don't know if that is actually helpful or not though. Neutral

If this stuff doesn't work I might just have to go to a dermatologist.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Good day parentsaver! You really ought to take a look at Carley's Clear & Smooth cleanser at ebay. A company since 1999 the company's products are absolutely a-1 for acne. I've been a regular customer for a couple years and this stuff works. Their customer service is very good too. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZclearandsmooth
Parentsaver
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, btw it is acne. He has combination skin with oily nose and forehead, normal chin and cheecks. Big pimples on forehead and near nose. Small pimples around checks.
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
What I can say is: please stop any medicine or chemical stuff on his face, during my beginning of break out, I tried many types of medicine without helping me, some even made the condition worse such as leaving permanent red marks due to the overharsh of the medicine where my skin could not stand for it.

Until I found out that changing your lifestyle and daily diet could make big difference on your skin. I'm so regret that I was fooled by the so-called dermatologist who dont even bother whether your acne is caused by hormone or internal body organ such as liver.
Parentsaver
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
What kind of diet changes are we talking about? My son eats everything, vegies and fruits. I make him drink about 5ish glasses of water but he has to go to the washroom A LOT. We eat nutritiously (salad always for dinner and nothing deep fried). If we ever eat out, its at a nice restaurant. The only place he could improve would be when he buys his lunch at school.
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Parentsaver, this forum (link given below) really help me a lot, just to share with you, in my previous post, I just want to say that medicine cant help in every case, of course I cant comment on your case as I am not expert and I know very little, I just voice out my experience here, I'm so regret that I was not told anything about this while I was having breakout last year, in all the time, food is the most powerful healing thing. I am completely clear now, thanks to those who share the idea with me.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=108917
http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=131370

Hope that's help.
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Parentsaver, I'm new here myself but after suffering with moderate to severe acne and extremely oily skin for 30 years I've finally found a regimen that has pretty much cleared up my skin. I use a pH balanced cleanser - right now I'm using Diane Yvonne's wheat germ cleanser or DermaMed's foaming gel cleanser. I found that using a pH balanced cleanser with no detergents makes a huge difference with my skin. After washing I use DY's 2% salicylic acid and then wait 30 minutes (for the SA to work) and then apply a moisturizer - I've been using hyaluronic acid. Instead of my skin getting oily in a half hour it now takes 3 or 4 hours before I can see any shine on my skin. I used to get 1 or 2 new acne lesions a day but now get 1 or 2 a week. I have been following this routine for about 2 months and cannot say enough good things about it. I have tried Philosophy, Murad, Pro-active, Accutane (twice), Dermalogica, Decleor, Yonka, to name but a few and have spent more money than I care to admit. The great thing about the DY products is they don't cost a lot and you can buy samples from their web site. Hope this helps.

Cathryn
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I have been struggling with acne since my teens and finally I have found a combo which has cleared my skin up. I am using two products Epidermx 2 (2x per day) and Chrysalyx (2x per day). Here is a link of some users and their before and after photos.
http://www.greatnewskin.com/pages/beforeandafter.html
You can also buy them in a combo called the Stretch Mark Buster for $69.95. I have tried so many things over the years and NOTHING has worked like this combo. These are my holy grail products!
http://www.greatnewskin.com/pages/products/stretchmarkbuster.html
Parentsaver
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Update: While we're waiting for our Philosophy kit to arrive, my son has been using:
1)Olay Deep Cleaning Foam with Witch Hazel
2)Proactive's Toner from the 3-step system
3)Clear Skin Step 3

It seems to be keep his pimples at bay, at least just for now.
naomim
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

Welcome to the forum it's really friendly, there are loads of people with lots of knowledge and experience. All I can say is please treat your sons skin as "sensitive" at the same time as solving the acne problem. I had acne from 17 to 27 ten years and that was years ago...but what a different when I got products and advice for acne and sensitive skin not acne and oily skin... the balance of the skin (meaning acid alkaline balance) is so important....and I am not hoping that the forum members more educated than me will take over now...you know who you all are....

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Goodness me too much champagne well it is Christmas, re: previous post "I am NOW hoping ...."

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
Heh I read it as now the first anyway. :P Merry Christmas everyone.
luvsgracy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, don't know if you've tried this very inexpensive but VERY effective BHA gel, but it's what I used for YEARS with my bad breakouts all over my face, it was the best thing i found for myself. However, i dont' use it now because I'm using totally natural stuff because of fibro, but has he tried the "Invisible Blemish Gel" by Clean & Clear? On MUA you can read about its effectiveness due to the proper pH, it has 2% BHA.

Paula's Choice personally made me break out WAY more, I tried all her BHAs and AHAs, but I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide.

Also a VERY strong and effective gel is the one in the "Acne Clear" kit - it has both BHA and Benz. Peroxide - you can either buy the kit or I've seen just the little tube of gel by itself.

On the Clean & Clear gel, be sure it says "Invisible Blemish Gel" on the tube because the other BHA gels Clean & Clear makes didn't help me too much. It only costs about $4-5 USA.
Kinky_babe
5% products discount

Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
If he does get severe acne in the future, please take him to a dermatologist! I mean if I did take Roaccutane earlier, I wouldn't have to deal with those nasty scars!!!!! Just my few cents!
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi I am new and only posted a few times so far and doing lots of researach catching up type of thing - please tell me what MUA is.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |