Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Whatever happened to good old fashioned skin care?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
When ever I go around to all my favorite beauty boards I read the same posts over and over. Mainly complaints about the chemicals in skin care such as idebenone, glycolics, retinols, matrixyl, argereline and on and on and how drying they are to the skin. Makes my head spin to tell you the truth. I use beta hydroxy lotion on occasion to keep my pores clear but thats about it I just have no desire to try anything BECAUSE of the rants. Just give me the basics and enough already! Anyone else out there who feels the same way?? Mad
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm....

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you feel that way, then why do you spend time viewing skin care boards?
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
I kind of agree with you, but if you give me an option of uptimum beauty at 40 (like better than in my 20's), or just looking like a 40y old, sorry, I'de rather spend 15min morning and night extra on my skin care.

I also think that the sun has gotten worse over the past 1-2 decades, and 'normal' product have gotten weaker, where less good ingredients are in them (greedy companies just want to make more $$).

Another thing is with the advances in technology and science, we can now do things that could not be done before, such as lasers ect and products have gotten better too.
40 is now the new 50. If you want to age well, you can, but it doesnt come with no effort.

It's like a person who is overweight and wants to be a fit fighting hot machine, but doesnt want to do excersise or eat well.
Age can be controlled, but it takes work and effort....oh and surgery and products Cool
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
SandraG wrote:
I kind of agree with you, but if you give me an option of uptimum beauty at 40 (like better than in my 20's), or just looking like a 40y old, sorry, I'de rather spend 15min morning and night extra on my skin care.

I also think that the sun has gotten worse over the past 1-2 decades, and 'normal' product have gotten weaker, where less good ingredients are in them (greedy companies just want to make more $$).

Another thing is with the advances in technology and science, we can now do things that could not be done before, such as lasers ect and products have gotten better too.
40 is now the new 50. If you want to age well, you can, but it doesnt come with no effort.

It's like a person who is overweight and wants to be a fit fighting hot machine, but doesnt want to do excersise or eat well.
Age can be controlled, but it takes work and effort....oh and surgery and products Cool

Some interesting things there for us to consider.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Don't take this the wrong way but Katee got a really good point there Confused
Again, what you consider as simple and basic is relative. Everyone has different skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
catski...I meant 50 is now the new 40.... Embarassed
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
I only wish there could be a simple answer to the skincare routines. My head spins, too, from what to try, and my bathroom counter is filled with sample products. (Must admit they are too cute though - these little 5 ml bottles!!!)

But I "KNOW" there's no simple or basic route about caring for your skin once you hit 30 (ok, maybe 32 at the most). I know because I never used any product on my skin. I was born with blemish-free and smooth skin. It was my pride and joy, and thus I took it for granted. I never even used sunscreen. Then after I turned 32, I noticed brown spots on my cheeks, more on the left side where it was facing the sun when I was driving. I also noticed droopy eyelids, and fine lines around my mouth. I was like, "What the heck happened?" After that I tried to use different products, and none of them really worked. I think it was b/c they were too basic, and I didn't know what I was doing. I still don't know what I'm doing, but at least since I found EDS, I'm learning a lot more, and am trying a lot of new stuff that is promising, i.e. my laugh lines have softened tremendously and my forehead is getting more smooth looking (hence my bathroom counter full of little cute jars of stuff). I have yet to try many products only b/c of my limited budget. Skincare can be addictive though, so I have to warn you if you're not yet addicted, you might want to keep it that way. hehe
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
This ageing thing's a complete b-i-t-c-h. Simplicity is a wonderful concept, but with each decade of life after 20, I find it is increasingly elusive in skincare. And the researchers keep finding new actives that actually do effect "anti-ageing".

Luckily I like playing mad evil chemist in my bathroom or I would go quite broke buying expensive commercial potions.
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
The only option I see, is that we all write letters to congress and tell them to REDIRECT science to research the quest for perfect faces in 1 day, which can be frozen/embalmed and not change anymore from the perfected state, for the rest of our lives.

(Actually, I kind of believe they could do more, but then it would not be a multi million dollar a year industry anymore, would it?)
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I think we all go through stages with the whole skincare thing, and SusieQ, I think you are in one of them! Haven't we all been at that point in which we WISH we could just throw everything out and use just emu oil and a muslin cloth? I go through this every time I go away for the weekend, since, unlike what you'd expect from a girl like me, I like to pack VERY light--a duffel bag for a week at MOST, clothing, toiletries, and all. figuring out what to bring is always a challenge, but in the end, quite refreshing. And then I go back home and hungrily use my products again.

In the end, I think the desire for simplicity is a side effect of our penchant to complicate things endlessly. And I totally agree with the above poster that simplicity is all relative: let's see, I consider my regimen pretty simple, but it involves at least 15 products on a daily basis...

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
I, too, have to go with Katee on this one. The skin care boards are, I believe, for the exchange of information regarding the best in skin care products and methodology. I am a member of (I think) 7 boards and read the boards because I am interested in skin care topics. I can't imagine spending time on forums dedicated to subjects for which I have no interest.

SusieQ, what do you consider the basics? I agree with Wild Cat that the basics are different for each person. I also believe that they are different for each generation. My grandmother used Dove soap and Oil Of Olay her whole life and loved them. Yes, I know these products still work very well for some today. But for my own skin, I can flat out tell you that, from photos I've seen, I look younger at 56 than my grandmother looked at 35. I owe that to the products and methodologies I've learned about from the wonderful people on these forums.

I would love to have simplicity in my routine. Since no one product can provide everything my skin needs, simplicity is just a pipe dream for me.

Just my 2 cents.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
I, too, have to go with Katee on this one. The skin care boards are, I believe, for the exchange of information regarding the best in skin care products and methodology. I am a member of (I think) 7 boards and read the boards because I am interested in skin care topics. I can't imagine spending time on forums dedicated to subjects for which I have no interest.

SusieQ, what do you consider the basics? I agree with Wild Cat that the basics are different for each person. I also believe that they are different for each generation. My grandmother used Dove soap and Oil Of Olay her whole life and loved them. Yes, I know these products still work very well for some today. But for my own skin, I can flat out tell you that, from photos I've seen, I look younger at 56 than my grandmother looked at 35. I owe that to the products and methodologies I've learned about from the wonderful people on these forums.

I would love to have simplicity in my routine. Since no one product can provide everything my skin needs, simplicity is just a pipe dream for me.

Just my 2 cents.

Ari

Me agrees.
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
I sort of feel the same way! Laughing

And for those of you who wonder why I am on this board, it IS possible to be interested in skincare and also being "feed up with the anti-ageing preassure". Sometimes I do feel like a freak who hasn't been using anti-aging since the age of 18 and don't have my cupboard full of agriline and retinols! Laughing

SusieQ wrote:
When ever I go around to all my favorite beauty boards I read the same posts over and over. Mainly complaints about the chemicals in skin care such as idebenone, glycolics, retinols, matrixyl, argereline and on and on and how drying they are to the skin. Makes my head spin to tell you the truth. I use beta hydroxy lotion on occasion to keep my pores clear but thats about it I just have no desire to try anything BECAUSE of the rants. Just give me the basics and enough already! Anyone else out there who feels the same way?? Mad

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
Oh, I think we all go through stages with the whole skincare thing, and SusieQ, I think you are in one of them! Haven't we all been at that point in which we WISH we could just throw everything out and use just emu oil and a muslin cloth? I go through this every time I go away for the weekend, since, unlike what you'd expect from a girl like me, I like to pack VERY light--a duffel bag for a week at MOST, clothing, toiletries, and all. figuring out what to bring is always a challenge, but in the end, quite refreshing. And then I go back home and hungrily use my products again.

In the end, I think the desire for simplicity is a side effect of our penchant to complicate things endlessly. And I totally agree with the above poster that simplicity is all relative: let's see, I consider my regimen pretty simple, but it involves at least 15 products on a daily basis...

--avalange

I agree with you, I do go on a "screw all this" break every so often, only too look worse for the wear on the otherside Laughing !!! Then I rush back for all my goodies. And Susie I know you use alot of Elizabeth Grant, her stuffs good, some is even pretty damn good, but having used her line in the past (alot of it too), I find I was still searching for that something, so while it does the job, it doesn't (in my experience) kick butt. But hey my grandmother used oil of olay forever and had fab skin, so go figure. I say whatever works for one is the route to go.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting replies from you all! Don't misunderstand me ladies. I AM a skin care & makeup junkie. Its pretty much a hobby and thats why I LOVE the beauty boards. And what do I consider basic? Minimal skin care. A cleanser, a sunblock and a night time moisturizer. The consumer is unindated with beauty products. Its too confusing.
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
SandraG wrote:

I would agree here, especially the part about the sun getting stronger, bringing on a host of other issues related to how we care for our skin. Let's not forget pollution, which has gotten out of control in recent years. I recently read that there was a protest in Hong Kong by residents accusing the government of not doing anything to curb the pollution in the city. A person's skin care plan of attack would have to be more than "basic" if you're living in a place like Hong Kong (which I have visited numerous times, and yes, the pollution is getting worse there.)

I also think we are doing many things that people weren't doing 20 years ago, like flying. I am a flight attendant, and while this is my career (one of), i still don't think it's normal for human beings to regularly be at 37,000 feet, which is that much closer to the sun, making us that more apt to suffer the effects of radiation.

Many business people fly more than me, and I can't imagine not having a plan in place to protect your skin in that environment. (I do!)

The way we live our lives has changed. For me, getting a photofacial 2 times per year (to remove sun spots/freckles, broken caps, fine lines, etc), getting down to 3 products in morning (one with high SPF), and 2 at night, with one weekly fruit acid peel, is as basic as it's going to get for me.

Very Happy HTH's

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ, I posted this on another thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=21430

Well, I do think our skin does need a break every now and then, and maybe just washing with water is good enough for a day. Yesterday I stayed in. I did take a shower, so my face got plenty of water, but no cleanser/soap, oil, cream, lotion, and sunscreen. I was actually so paranoid that I didn't take care of my skin, but it seems my own body must have produced some natural oil to moisturize my face, and the tiny lines under my eyes that indicated dryness were practically gone. It can't get more basic than that. But you can't go on never washing your face and treat it with some nice antioxidants, can you?
chinachatters
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
GOOD Old Fashioned Skin Care? :lol: Do you know how are foremothers looked by the time they were forty (the ones who were still alive, I mean)????
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
chinachatters wrote:
GOOD Old Fashioned Skin Care? Laughing Do you know how are foremothers looked by the time they were forty (the ones who were still alive, I mean)????

Good point! Also, they have to do a lot of facelifts. For they, I mean our mothers, not grandmothers...for grandmothers (depending on how old you are, I guess), they probably didn't even have facelifts back then.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
I'm of two minds on this. I'm embarassed to admit that, until I turned fifty, my skincare was just a little moisturizer at night and glycerine soap for face washing. But, around about 50 I started noticing drier skin, fine lines around my eyes, the dreaded 11's between my eyes, and sunspots and increasing redness on my cheeks. My first inclination was to forget about it--after all, everyone ages. And I remembered all those silly facecreams from the sixties based on royal jelly and whatever--it seemed like the cosmetics industry was milking a vain and impossible dream for a fountain of youth. And I wasn't about to empty my pockets in that kind of pointless chase.

But my daughter kept making little "suggestions" about cosmeceuticals that might help. So...three years ago I dipped my toe into the skincare waters and ordered a Vitamin C serum. To my surprise, I watched as my skintone evened out, the sunspots faded and just about disappeared. So I did a little research online, came across this forum, learned a lot about the science of modern skincare, and, well, my makeup drawer and bathroom shelf is now full of a nubmer of things that I never could have imagined buying only a few years ago. So I admit it--I'm hooked on good skincare (and when I travel, which I do a lot, I carry a bunch of tiny little jars and mini-bottles of all of my must-haves in my 1 quart TSA approved ziplock bag.)

Having said that, I do have mixed feelings about all of this. I spend a not-trivial amount of money on skincare, and I can't help feeling like I've fallen for the propaganda that women are valuable in direct proportion to our looks. I know, I know--good sunscreen is important to prevent skin cancer. But, honestly, the real reason I'm so careful about it is that I know that slacking off on it will give me more wrinkles and sunspots. I'm not saying that it's wrong to be as concerned with skincare as we are, only that I wish we lived in a world where women were judged more than how young we look. Maybe someday women will be judged more by the content of their character than by the suppleness of their skin...
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
There was a similar discussion on the thread Molly began about retinoids and acids:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20546

I do think we all get sick of the contradictions we hear about skincare, but we also want to be informed consumers and sharing experiences is a great way to learn. I have learned so much from this forum! I enjoy sharing info with smart women (and a few men) who love to indulge in skincare and makeup info.

What this forum has made me realize is that it is really okay to take a break from "stuff", to not overdo it and to stop using stuff that isn't working, even if it works for someone else.

It is true that the sun is stronger, pollution is greater, the food we eat is less healthy, there are more chemicals in our workplaces (not to mention that we can't open windows and are showered by fluorescent light) and don't get me started with the emotional stress of living in this media saturated world!

Times have changed (remember when we barbecued ourselves with baby oil and foil face reflectors Shock).

To not use the new products available to us is a personal choice. Sometimes I use too many, sometimes not enough, but I'm always interested in what is effective, what is not and I also love the connection with so many different people and opinions!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Well if I'm getting anything good out of this thread, its the amazing discussion and I thank you all for your being so honest. Skin care is such a personal thing.

BKgirl the link to your other thread was eye opening. Who would of thought? I've done the same as you too and felt guilty afterwards, only to look for the next wrinkle because of missed cleansing or moisturizer.

And Melissa Marie, yes love the EG product line and I've found in her line what is missing from others.

And Joani, you really couldn't have said it better, by reading what others have to say and using what works best for you.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ,

have you ever taken a look at Rosemary Gladstar's "Herbs for Natural Beauty"?

It has nice natural recipes you might like. I didn't agree with her take on henna for the hair, but the whole book shows a simple routine that sounds healthy and i can appreciate that.

I know what you mean by how complicated skincare can be these days. but i think it's just because information is so easily relayed these days, we can hear about the latest and newest thing in skincare just by logging online. I actually like my semi tedious routine, it gives me something to do and read lots about.

i agree with avalange here, there are some days when i want to be more simple in my routines (few days) that i just slap on sunscreen and that's it.

i think perusing these beauty boards can also lead one to a more simple routine, since you can extract what steps and products you deem most important and necessary for your skin and ignore the rest.

Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Kristen. I haven't read Herbs for Natural Beauty. I'll check it out next time I go to the bookstore.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |