Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: Thank You Stan Microdermabrasion Cloths -surprising!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
A while back I posted back in the Skincare section if anyone had used this "dermal grade" exfoliating cloth...

When I first felt the cloth, I thought "damn! I just paid $12 for a darn piece of terry cloth!" and I was rather skeptical to use this, let alone expect any exfoliating effect.

Well, I normally need to lightly exfoliate every other day, and if I use makeup etc I need to exfoliate the t-zone every time otherwise I get lots of "build up". Because of redness/sensitivity issues I really needed to find a gentler alternative - muslin cloth is ineffective, enzyme powders cause too much after-use irritation, and scrubs are a no-no for everyday use!

Basically I cleanse and pat dry my face, then use the damp (but wet is ok) cloth and move in circular or side to side motions, concentrating on problem areas with skin build up.

I have used this cloth everyday this week and I have not had to use ANY extra exfoliation products at all. Simply put, it got rid of all my dead skin without the harsh friction of a scrub.

I will look past Thank You Stan's horrible ebay listings and over-exaggerated claims to cure rosacea/acne/hyperpigmentation etc, but it does a simple and gentle job in lieu of my long trusty microdermabrasion crystals.
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with you, I've used them and they really do exfoliate. I wouldn't buy any of his tall tales about it getting rid of scars and cellulite and stuff, but it is a nice easy way to exfoliate skin.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:36 am      Reply with quote
This sounds like the cloths I just purchased from NCN Skincare. It also was $12.00. I had never heard of such a cloth but wanted to try it.

The cloths I received also removes all your makeup. Shock I use warm water and gentle circular motions to cleanse my face. When I am done my pores are tight and face so clean. I love this concept in cleansing/exfoliating.

I get build up on the sides of my nose and forehead. Exfoliating scrubs are too abrasive for my skin this cloths works great.

You do need to be careful you don't scrub as the cloths is more powerful then it looks.
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:56 am      Reply with quote
I also bought one of the cloths from NCN Skincare and although I've only used it 3, times I love it. The cloth does a wonderful job of exfoliating and cleansing your skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
This sounds perfect for me. Yet while it may work better then the crystals and powders etc., what is with the "dermal grade"? Are they really any different then the other microfiber cloths? Couldn't you use any microfiber cloth? I know they have microfiber clothes for everything now, cleaning the house and all. I just don't know what the differences are in all of them. And Sephora has microfiber mitts for removing makeup, but it doesn't mention anything about exfoliation. http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P167005&categoryId=B70#moreInfo

Where exactly did you buy this? How do you clean it, and how long does it take to dry? What I hate about regular wash cloths is I have to actually throw them in the wash after every use and the dryer. They take forever to dry on their own and get oil and makeup residue on them.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I also like Stan's cloth - actually, I mostly use the small microdermabrasion sponge that comes in the mini pack he sells.

I bought another pack for a friend and she loves the clothes as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I bought the cloths on ebay from the Thank You Stan store. He actually has more than a dozen different varieties and I get extremely confused.

I am not sure what the actual difference in texture and efficiency for other types of microfiber - you can get things like towels/clothes and such but I don't think they have any exfoliating effects. That Stan guy insists they must be "dermal grade" otherwise they are very damaging for the skin. Since I have never encountered other types of microfiber cloth I have no idea how different they would be if used on the skin. I suppose it is the difference in the weave..

The cloths don't hold much water as cotton, so if you wring dry well they will dry on their own within a few hours. As for maintenance, I hand wash mine at least twice a week because it does not dry properly in the bathroom and starts to smell stale. I just use hot water and an old face wash. The care instructions say to not iron/machine dry/treat with fabric softener. I think throwing it in your normal cycle will do a thorough job of cleaning.

If you use it to remove makeup I think there is a chance that you will get oil/grim buildup. I only use it on a clean face so it hasn't discoloured or anything yet.

HTH
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
Yes - I've machine washed mine with no problems. I like them too, but I think my skin is getting a little bit used to them, and I'm finding that the cloths don't exfoliate as well s they used to...
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
mur,

I think they may need to be replaced after a while. I noticed the same thing with my sponge.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I checked out his store. Very confusing. Why so many different ones? Which one did you end up getting? Is it worth it to get more then one? I wonder how long they last. I'd like to get one for my face and one for my body.

I don't even know what the difference is with these and the Dermalogica cloth. http://www.amazon.com/Dermalogica-Ultimate-Buffing-Cloth/dp/B000G7IKB8
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
I love it! I just have to comment on this since a year ago I was all over this board raving about the microderm cloth! No one seemed very interested back then though. I swear this is the number one thing that makes my skin look good! I have tried both the one on ebay and also regular micro cloths and guess what? Same results from both! I'm going to link to some of my posts about it from a year ago so I don't have to retype it all up but detailing what kinds I use and such:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=102500&highlight=microdermabrasion#102500
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=111302&highlight=microdermabrasion#111302
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=93920&highlight=microdermabrasion#93920

since posting this I've tried the one on ebay (to make sure I wasn't missing out... I wasn't). I'm glad this is catching on, I really love using these cloths!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
I think the Dermalogica buffing cloth is too harsh to use for your face. It sounds similar to the body exfoliating cloths sold at The Body Shop and even at Rite Aid pharmacy made out of nylon mesh: http://www.thebodyshop.com/bodyshop/browse/product_detail.jsp?productId=prod150035&categoryId=cat30010
See these threads:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13444
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=21112

The microdermabrasion cloth and sponge sold by Stan are supposed to be "dermal grade" and not the same as microfiber cloths you can buy for cleaning. I don't know. I just know that I like his small sponge for use on the face. I bought his 3-pack: small sponge, washcloth, and small mini-cloth for $13.

I have never used Jane Iredale's Magic Mitt but it sounds like it might be similar to Stan's products although I don't think Iredale boasts about microdermabrasion properties:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/jane-iredale-magic-mitt-p_2424.htm

Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |