Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone used a Neti Pot?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2007 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Saw a demo on Dr. Oz's segment on Oprah. Sounded very intriguing...a good way to flush your sinuses! I was wondering if it really works??? Also...I use flonase (which I squirt up my nose)...and want to know if I should use the Neti pot before or after???
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2007 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Funny you should ask! After seeing that same segment on Oprah while recovering from a bad cold, I was inspired to drag out my ol' neti pot...and I feel so much better! I've been using it every morning since that segment aired, and I do believe it helped me recover quicker.

Every morning I was waking up with a horrible sinus headache, so I would shower, and then use the neti pot with my lavender scented salt...instant relief!

Somewhere on this board (I'm pretty sure it was this board), someone posted about Waterpik having an attachment that produced the same result. Embarassed

ETA: I would use the neti pot first. I would think cleaning all the gunk out first would make your Flonase more effective?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2007 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
I use something similar called NeilMed Sinus Rinse. http://www.unimedprod.com/ I got mine from walgreens.

My sinus was so bad that I had surgery many years ago. The ENT dr recommended that I flush out my sinus daily. I was diligent for 1 month then got lazy and stopped.

No sinus infection for over 10 years post surgery then all of a sudden got 3 in a row. I ran to walgreens and got the sinus flush. It felt great to clean all the gunk out and be able to breath. You have to get used the the drowing feeling though Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2007 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
mtview wrote:
It felt great to clean all the gunk out and be able to breath. You have to get used the the drowing feeling though Confused

LOL, I get that feeling when I don't tilt my head at the right angle! But it's soooo worth it to get the stuff out, so much better than just blowing into a tissue.

Here's the waterpik thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22421

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2007 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Yup -- started using mine again today. I've got that lousy cold/flu that's ambushing everyone in Vancouver right now, and my good ol' Neti pot is the only thing keeping me going.

I must have wonky sinuses because every time I get a cold, the right side swells shut and the left one isn't far behind. I've become addicted to/reliant on nasal decongestants with past colds and don't to go that route again if I can help it.

My husband would never consider using a Neti pot, but I wouldn't be without mine.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2007 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
How do you keep the water from not going down your throat?

I just did a web search...apparently there is also a method where you sniff water up your nose and out your mouth.

This reminds me of the practice of wudu, which is the ritual cleansing Muslims do before prayer...cleaning your nose out is part of the cleansing process. A friend of mind can sniff water up her nose and out her mouth.

I'm scrunching my face up as we speak...Laughing
but my yoga teacher swore by his neti pot.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2007 12:02 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:

I use the squeeze bottle vs the netipot. I just lean over the sink with my mouth open and the water would come out from the mouth. I know it sounds grosss but for those with constant stuffy nose, it is just a great feeling to be able to breath easily.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2007 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Ah, mtview...I am at work today, getting congested...your post actually sounds wonderful to me right now! Very Happy

ParisTroika - I find that if I have my head tilted correctly, I don't get that "drowning" feeling, no water goes to my throat, but my nose gets rinsed, and sinuses are relieved.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2007 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Mtview, what kind of squeeze bottle? I know it sounds gross but I'd actually like to have it come out my mouth too because I think that's even better than in one nostril and out the other.

I use the old fashioned neti pot and now my husband does too. Once you do this, a simple nose blow just isn't enough.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2007 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
michelec wrote:
Mtview, what kind of squeeze bottle? I know it sounds gross but I'd actually like to have it come out my mouth too because I think that's even better than in one nostril and out the other.

I use the old fashioned neti pot and now my husband does too. Once you do this, a simple nose blow just isn't enough.

Go to my post above. I posted a link. You can get it at various drugstores. You are absolutely right about the nose blowing. It is no comparison to having your sinus flused out Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2007 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting! I swear, the random things this board sends me shopping for....

Here's the link to the info from Oprah:
http://www2.oprah.com/health/oz/oz_20070426_350_106.jhtml

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 8:38 am      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
Every morning I was waking up with a horrible sinus headache, so I would shower, and then use the neti pot with my lavender scented salt...instant relief!

Why do you use lavender scented salts? Do you find them more effective than other salts? Also, where do you get them? (I love lavender).I bought a neti pot...but haven't used it yet. A bit chicken Rolling Eyes But, I think regular sea salt is supposed to be OK, isn't it? I'm going to check the Oprah link...then go get it out...read the instructions and go for it! (I hope I'm right about the sea salts...because all I have in the house right now is that and table salt). OK...going right now....wish me luck!!! Shock

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Used the Neti pot this a.m. It was really easy! Worked fine the first time! It came out the other side of my nose just fine...and I did blow the water out after I was done. My sinuses felt very refreshed...and NO headaches today! I get them even w/my two allergy meds. I'm going to continue doing this every day...and try cutting out one of them in a week or so. Will definitely tt my Dr. at my next appt. Give it a try! It's not as wierd as it sounds...although I don't think you'd want anyone watching you. Bad Grin Bad Grin

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Another update...
I didn't use the Neti pot for a couple of days...was really busy and just didn't take the 3 minutes or so to do it. I found that I blew my nose a LOT more on those days... And, I always start blow drying my hair upside down...have discovered it's best to use the Neti pot AFTER I do this...because water (or something Embarassed runs out of my nose and onto my bathroom floor...which is carpeted. YUCK!) Really liking it though... Also found the plastic bottle thingy at the drugstore...which I got for when I travel. Yep...I'm wierd! But, I love anything that makes me feel better. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Great thread! I've been curious about using a neti pot for months as I struggle through allergy season. Now I think I'll definitely give it a go.
Yvetteski
5% products discount

Fri May 25, 2007 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
But, I think regular sea salt is supposed to be OK, isn't it?

You can use regular sea or table salt, but add a pinch of baking soda to buffer.
I love my Neti. Gross, but effective. Don't use it after Flosnase b/c you will wash the steroid out of your nose and decrease the efficacy.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
After hearing so much lately about the nasal washes, I ended up buying my boyfriend (who suffers from allergies ... cat dander ... poor boy, we have three cats! ... and also has asthma) a nasal wash that comes pre-mixed in a compressed aeosol type container. He's been using it once a day and says he feels a difference. It just seemed more convenient to me versus having to mix the salt into the water, etc. It was $9 a container and it's lasted him about 2 weeks.
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:08 am      Reply with quote
mtview wrote:
ParisTroika wrote:

I use the squeeze bottle vs the netipot. I just lean over the sink with my mouth open and the water would come out from the mouth. I know it sounds grosss but for those with constant stuffy nose, it is just a great feeling to be able to breath easily.

I got the Neil brand squeeze bottle for when I travel, and am having a bit of trouble. It works fine for about the first 1/2 of the bottle...but the second half doesn't seem to have as much "vacuum" pressure, and comes out in drips...and lots of air. I have to squeeze it really hard, and tilt the bottle up so far that I have problems getting it in my nose. I checked the tube/lid seal, and it seems OK (doesn't snap on or anything...should it???). Any idea what I'm doing wrong???

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree! Nasal lavage is very effective for getting all the gunk out. I'm interested too in the lavendar salt!

Before I had a Neti pot, I would mix the salt/baking soda with warm water in a clean margarine tub and just *SNARK* it up both nostrils and then blow it out. Kinda primitive but it did work! Never was brave enuf to let it go out my mouth!

Just a note about sinus/flu/colds: since taking Epicore I've not had one sick day! I started it just before the flu season in Nov '06 and I am amazed every day! Cannot say enuf good things about this stuff! No UTIs either! It boosts the immune system, contains beta glucans. OK, off the soapbox now! fawnie

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
Geminiwoman wrote:
I got the Neil brand squeeze bottle for when I travel, and am having a bit of trouble. It works fine for about the first 1/2 of the bottle...but the second half doesn't seem to have as much "vacuum" pressure, and comes out in drips...and lots of air. I have to squeeze it really hard, and tilt the bottle up so far that I have problems getting it in my nose. I checked the tube/lid seal, and it seems OK (doesn't snap on or anything...should it???). Any idea what I'm doing wrong???

Hmm...I didn't have that problem with my bottle. Is there an 800 number on the box or bottle you can call to get some advice?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:37 am      Reply with quote
mtview wrote:
Geminiwoman wrote:

Hmm...I didn't have that problem with my bottle. Is there an 800 number on the box or bottle you can call to get some advice?

I figured it out! I was doing it wrong! I had used a neti pot...where you had to tilt your head...and was doing that with the squeeze bottle...wrong! I got it right last night...but have another question. I seem to get really good pressure at first...then can't get about the last 1/4 of the bottle to come out and go into my nose. Any ideas?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:51 am      Reply with quote
Geminiwoman wrote:
mtview wrote:
Geminiwoman wrote:

I figured it out! I was doing it wrong! I had used a neti pot...where you had to tilt your head...and was doing that with the squeeze bottle...wrong! I got it right last night...but have another question. I seem to get really good pressure at first...then can't get about the last 1/4 of the bottle to come out and go into my nose. Any ideas?

I was having the same problem as you. The first half in one nostril worked fine, but when I used the second half in the other nostril, I would have to keep pulling it out and letting it fill back up with air to get pressure back. Then I bought my husband one and I noticed that the white tube in his was shorter than mine, and I realized that as I squeezed the bottle, the bottle shortens abit and my tube was pressing against the bottom of the bottle, thus plugging it. So I cut a bit off and since then have not had that problem.
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
I've used a neti pot and my boyfriend uses his everyday. It does help clear your sinuses, especially if you have allergies or a stuffed up nose. After you use it you fell like "Wow! I can finally REALLY breathe!" i don't use mine regularely because I'm lazy and my morning routine is very streamlined!
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have started again to use my squeeze bottle. I use the Neil Med and filtered warm water with a pinch of Sea salt. Oops, I keep forgetting the baking soda.
I have allergies and if I don't rinse, I find myself with a sinus infection. I am so glad Oprah had the information on her show. Now,others will be able to have some relief.
Linda
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
I love my neti pot and have been using one for years! I was happy to see Dr. Oz bring this idea to a much wider audience. Many Ear Nose & Throat (ENT) doctors have known about this concept for a long time -- I don't know why MORE don't recommend it to their patients?!

I got a stainless steel one after chipping and breaking a number of porcelain ones over the years. I got it at:www.healthandyoga.com/html/product/neti.html I like that it is stainless steel, I like the tapered conical tip, and that it holds more water than most.

The only thing I wish my stainless steel neti pot had was an adaptation that I've seen in the Ancient Secret Neti Pot (that my Whole Foods carries) where half of the pitcher's hole is covered to help direct the water out the spout into your nose, not out the top onto your face (when you have a blockage, this can occur): www.ancient-secrets.com/#nasal

There are some other variations out there. One is called the Nasaline Nasal Irrigator and it has a plunger type applicator:
http://www.nasalineusa.com/about.htm

I've seen a plastic "neti" pot at Walgreens called the Sinucleanse: http://www.amazon.com/The-SinuCleanse-Neti-Pot-System/dp/B0001ZSF6K

Also there are attachments made for Waterpiks (a Grossan Sinus Irrigator attachment) and whole devices like the Grossan Hydro Pulse® Pulsatile Sinus System made just for declogging the sinuses: www.ent-consult.com

A good place to find out more info about the variety of offerings out there is to look for catalogs/websites that cater to allergy sufferers.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |