Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Who subscribes to Hauschka's theory on moisturizing skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
Dr. Haushcka's website goes off about how "like treats like" and oily skins should be normalized by applying oil, whereas dry skins should only get a *tiny* bit of moisture, to train the sebaceous glands to produce their own moisture (the link to this blurb on their site is http://www.drhauschka.com/about/7-facts/ ,then select #2).

I can see the logic behind this, and I do think it's an innovative approach to skincare. I also think that when I've used their Normalizing Day Oil or any similar thing on my oily skin, it seems to calm it down a bit.

However, I'm curious as to what people think about this, particularly for drier skin types - I find that my skin CRIES out for moisture when it's in dry mode, and I don't think something lighter feels good and I don't know that it ever "learns" to be more moisturized in, say, the winter months. I've tried going without a heavier moisturizer in winter but I just end up dull and flaky.

Another thing Dr. H claims is that you shouldn't wear a night cream, because your skin needs to "breathe" and regenerate at night. I can see the logic behind this, but again, I'm not 100% convinced. Also, is this true for other non-moisturizer treatments? For example, I apply a thin layer of Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum to my whole face most nights, and I find that in addition to helping prevent breakouts, it helps exfoliate my skin gently with the salicylic acid. So I'm not sure I feel the need to stop, just so my skin can "breathe", when that actually means I get more clogged pores and acne.

I'd be curious as to what other Dr. H fans out there think - do you treat "like with like", or do you put on what feels good? Do you moisturize at night? And aside from Jurlique, does anyone know of any other skincare companies that subscribe to this philosophy of putting heavier creams on oilier skin and lighter creams on drier skin?

Sorry, too, if this has been discussed elsewhere, I'm happy to redirect myself to the appropriate existing thread but I couldn't find any in my searching. Thanks!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
To be quite honest, I think the good Dr. needs to think outside of the box on the skin moisturization problem.

The REAL way to enhance skin moisturization....dryness....or oilyness is DIET and drinking WATER. It's not that hard to comprehend. If you try to attack dry skin or oily skin with cosmetics that you put on the skin that's no different that putting a bandaid on a cut. The way to heal the cut is to not get the cut in the first place! And that is where diet and water comes in.

You have to drink water, and lots of it! Water keeps your body moisturized from the inside out. Don't believe me? Then try the skin pinch test. Pinch a section of skin on the back of your hand and "pull" it up slightly, then let go. If the skin remains "up" for a period of time before relaxing down, you are DEFINITELY dehydrated and need more water intake. If it "snaps" right back down in place then you are well hydrated and I'll bet dollars to donuts that your skin looks smooth and moist!

Now for diet, there are certain fatty acids, carbohydrates, proteins, and amino acids that you get from your diet. All of these add up to create the "sebum" that keeps your skin smooth and moist. If you are deficient in any of these, because of dieting, too low calorie count, vegetarian diet, etc. then your skin is going to suffer from lack of nutrients. It's at that point that the skin will look dull, less moist, and visually in need of a moisturizer.

So, keep that in mind. Feed yourself like you are fueling an expensive race car with 110 octane racing fuel. Your skin will instantly show a difference. Keep hydrated with water at all times. Eat properly and in the correct amounts, not limited calorie or special diets that can leave out essential fatty acids and amino acids.

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I definitely agree with hydration and nutrition being key principles of skincare - it's funny how so many people rely wholly on creams and potions for these things! But still, nutrition aside, it's nice to hear users' input, since the Dr. H regime just seems so contrary to a lot of other skincare advice. I absolutely agree that you have to listen to your skin - another thing Dr. H preaches against is exfoliation, but my skin would be CRAZY and broken out all the time if I didn't exfoliate. I guess it goes to show that no extreme system is going to work perfectly without exception. Even the OCM fans on this forum agree that it's just not going to work for everyone. Thanks for the feedback though, folks - definitely food for thought.

Just curious, though - John, when you refer to your "snap" test, do you mean skin on the hand or face?

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:02 am      Reply with quote
I don't agree with the Dr Hauschka's advice because there can be many reasons why skin will over or under produce its own moisture and, many years ago, I got sucked into putting oil on oily skin only to make things worse.
I also don't totally agree with John's skin pinch test because as you age, the skin will take longer to return to normal no matter how good your diet is or how much water you drink.
I believe that products which are capable of going below the surface without clogging pores will normalise any skin, either dry or oily. I have had normal skin for quite a while now with the products I use but on occasions when I try something different then my skin reacts.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |